Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the next major villain was...Celestia?

TailsIsNotAlone

This is not a Trollestia, Molestia or Celestia-hating thread. Cross my heart, muffin in my eye etc. It's just an idea that popped into my head and I wanted to get your thoughts on it.

The status of Celestia and Luna as goddesses, or at least demigoddesses, has never been emphasized too strongly on the show. They are extraordinary ponies, but definitely not infallible. Luna's rivalry with her sister became so bitter that she became Nightmare Moon and attempted to take over all Equestria. Celestia's portrayal has been more flattering, but if her sister was prone to becoming a strong and misguided (though not quite evil) antagonist, I believe she is too.

I know it will never happen on the show. But would you be in favor of Celestia becoming at least a temporary villain, and how do you think it could happen?

• Brohoof 8

I don't think it'll happen. She's the guide, the mentor, and the mother figure in the group.

But whether I want it to happen is a completely different story.

Tyrant Celestia? MAKE IT HAPPEN, HASBRO.

• Brohoof 4

As ruler of Equestria, it would be devastating if she suddenly became a villian. Though if she were to become a villian, I'd hope it wasn't her choice to become one.

• Brohoof 1

Meh, I don't see it happening. Celestia has been born with pure of heart, and has been the protector of all ponies for nearly 1000 years now. I honestly can't see her getting jealous or lusting for more power than she already has.

It would be interesting, but I don't think it could actually happen.

How would Celestia, the wise and loving godess of the sun turn evil?

She has too much love.

Although something like this is probably too deep for a kids show, the old adage of "The brighter the light, the deeper the shadows," would probably hold true.

Think about it, she's supposedly immortal, that's a long time to build a trail of shadows and to regret many things. Some would even say that an immortal is quite apt to go insane as time wears their psyche thin as they watch all those around them wither and die, yet they remain the same.

PLOT TWIST! But a subverted one, in that she turns evil in about 1 in 10 fanfics, but no one would ever expect it to happen in the show! I'd be down with this but they'd have to come up with a believable reason for it and promise to make the episodes amazing.

Posted Image

The entire episode(s) would looks like a badly written fanfic

For a good villain, you need a good motive. i simply don't see any good reason why she would go out and start rampaging on the countryside. She might make a good tyrant or political-type villain, but it won't do any good on a girls' show like FiM.

• Brohoof 3

There be spoilers below.

What makes this theory so interesting is that Celestia is currently pushing Twilight to advance in her studies and abilities by sending her off into the Crystal Empire to fight Sombra with her friends. Come season four or five, it wouldn't be completely implausible to see Twilight holding her own against an evil Celestia.

Although Celestia is far less naive and far more wise than Luna, and is probably several times more unlikely to turn into something in equivalence to Nightmare Moon, it sounds interesting. Having new characters as villains for three times in a row would bring back the shock factor for if Celestia were to turn, whereas that wouldn't have been that much of a big deal if it had happened in season two, right after Nightmare Moon, Luna, was still fresh on everyone's mind.

How could it happen? Discord comes back and doesn't mess around. He Discordifies Celestia and turns her into an uncaring tyrannical ruler, who co-rules with Discord.

• Brohoof 1

I think this would actually become a great fic.

Celestia using Twilight's friendship lessons against her, betraying the Elements of Harmony.

Not a corrupted Celestia, but a real evil one.

Only way to stop her would be to imprison her like Discord, or kill her.

That seems like a plausible, and quite interesting idea. Becomes evil with the same magic that created Nightmare Moon. Honestly it seems like a cool idea.

That'd be pretty hilarious.

She becomes a traitor...she thinks she is so perfect....everypony does.

Yet I sure she has many, many faults that are hidden for public view.

Id imagine its very important to maintain an image in front of your subjects.

though it makes me wonder how she is able to run and protect an entire nation without being stressed even the slightest.

Seriously.

nothing phases her.

She seemed more annoyed than concerned when the changelings invaded.

then again at her age you'dve probabaly seen a lot of things........

shes the type of character that gives off an aura of "ITS OK EVERYPONY, ITS OK" In any situation,

But thats just when we see her.......one can only wonder what happens when 1000 years of ruling stress builds up.

With power always comes greed.

At least from my perspective XD

• Brohoof 1

I think this would actually become a great fic.

Celestia using Twilight's friendship lessons against her, betraying the Elements of Harmony.

Not a corrupted Celestia, but a real evil one.

Only way to stop her would be to imprison her like Discord, or kill her.

I don't think killing somepony on a show for little girls, or at least that's what they're aiming for, is appropriate for the show.

I don't think killing somepony on a show for little girls, or at least that's what they're aiming for, is appropriate for the show.

I know, and that's why I said: "I think this would actually become a great fic.", meaning that the idea is to be used on a fic, not the show.

• Brohoof 1

It's hard to think of a reason for why Celestia would ever be prompted to act as a villain. There would really need to be an inciting event, i.e., one which is either supernatural in nature or simply sees Celestia pushed to her limit---or both. If Celestia did not break in the face of Discord, I doubt anything could truly faze her. That mare has a spine of steel and an iron will.

Celestia abandoning Equestria for some reason might work. For example, the princess gets it into her mind (or it is planted there) that she is no longer fit to watch over her little ponies. But that strikes me as odd given her defiance in the face of Discord and Chrysalis. Such a situation seems rather forced.

Luna is basically the only princess at the moment who is shown to be capable of villainy.

• Brohoof 1

...Hmmm... that ecrtainly would be a VERY interesting plots twist indeed. No one would expect it. And i think it probably would be a very interesting written episode. IF she were to become evil, that would be something. Twilight having to take on her mentor. Someone whos been like a mother to her, one of her loved ones. Imagine it, the mother figure of the group, the guide, all of a sudden turning evil. Now that there is something. Ofcourse it wouldn't happen, its a kids show. Don't think they wants kids seeing one of the princesses become evil. And idk if that even can happen. Unless...

Well i just had an interestin' idea...

Remember the spoilery pics with Trixie and that black necklace. How everyonethinks thats like some element of disharmony. Well, what if that were an element of disharmony. We've see the regular elements turn bring NMM back into Luna, and turn discord to stone. Now... what would an element of disharmony have a good character such as Celestia? Turn her to stone? or perhaps... turn her EVIL? Its a fasinating thought.

• Brohoof 2

THis is a really interesting thought. Here is my theory. Twilight is very dedicated and loyal to Celestia, but she is also the key to the Elements of Harmony, which purpose is to help all of Equestria. I could see Celestia faking being evil to test Twilight. Would she help Celestia, or would she become her own pony and defend Equestria, even if it is from her beloved mentor?

• Brohoof 4

THis is a really interesting thought. Here is my theory. Twilight is very dedicated and loyal to Celestia, but she is also the key to the Elements of Harmony, which purpose is to help all of Equestria. I could see Celestia faking being evil to test Twilight. Would she help Celestia, or would she become her own pony and defend Equestria, even if it is from her beloved mentor?

I fully support this idea, as well as making it the finale of Season 3. Beautiful. It could be Twilight's final test to prove that she and her friends can be trusted to hold part of Equestria's future in their hooves. The reward? She "graduates" from Celestia's unofficial tutoring and doesn't have to write those damn letters anymore! ^_^
  • Brohoof 2

my reaction

Posted Image

I really doubt it to happen because MLP is known to be a very simple show with not so many HUGE plot twists... but

if that happened, I would be litterally blown away, I mean, it's Princess Celestia, the ruler of all of Equestria, the good bitch of the story! I would be like :o OMG! I can't believe it.

• Brohoof 3

THis is a really interesting thought. Here is my theory. Twilight is very dedicated and loyal to Celestia, but she is also the key to the Elements of Harmony, which purpose is to help all of Equestria. I could see Celestia faking being evil to test Twilight. Would she help Celestia, or would she become her own pony and defend Equestria, even if it is from her beloved mentor

That seems like an exccelent idea although, maybe Twilight at first would be loyal to Tyrant Celestia and then over the course of some events she would see the error of her ways and then battle Celestia in an epic battle.

• Brohoof 1

Only way I can see Celestia turn evil in the show is if it was the result of another villain's plotting or a decision she made thinking it would somehow be for the benefit of Equestria.

Yeah...it still falls down to another villain being the cause for her downfall to evil.

• Brohoof 3