Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MMORPG style pony game looking for coders, musicians and more...

Simcity11100

Good Idea or Bad One  

34 users have voted

1. 1. What do you think on how good this could be

• FABULOUS
    • Awesome
    • cool
    • alright
    • meh
    • Needs to be about 20% cooler
    • Not very good
    • silly
    • rediculous
    • I'D NEVER

I can code. If you want me to code for you, you can email me at d3rpyh00ves@anypony.com

I am proficent to a degree, but I cannot do this solo. I would like at least one other coder to help me.

Don't worry we have another coder, so don't be worried that you're not the only one and we're glad to have you apart of the team, so welcome.

• Brohoof 1

If you need testers or anything that doesn't require an official skill for now, I could be one if you like.

I will be learning programming in school this year and out of school too. I'll also be trying to learn some modeling out of school too. So I'll be good for this in the future, but not right now. 

So yeah, if you'd like me to help test or something else like that just let me know. :)

@@Vengeance

We probably won't be testing for a while yet, but we'll keep your name on tab. In the meantime, do you know any coding/modeling as of yet?

Sadly no, nothing but one small online c++ tutorial page I was reading, but I stopped that. :(

Though I was going to start learning some modeling very very soon.

Sadly no, nothing but one small online c++ tutorial page I was reading, but I stopped that. :(

Though I was going to start learning some modeling very very soon.

Well, we could use both coders and modelers. So...learn fast, I suppose.  :P  If @@Simcity11100 approves, I think we can add you to the G-Doc where we are running ideas by each other.

Haha. I think I will start learning quite soon. 

It will be fun being part of a game development team again... I mean it is what I wanna do when I'm older.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have some little experience in level design using Unity 3D if that means anything. :lol:

i would like to be one of your game testers, im trying to get more experience with it at the moment, i have no proof at the moment except the forum i started for ponies that needed testing, i am a good writer, i can help with making ideas, i will do my best to help if i am wanted for this. my youtube name is discordsrevenge.

Haha. I think I will start learning quite soon. 

It will be fun being part of a game development team again... I mean it is what I wanna do when I'm older.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have some little experience in level design using Unity 3D if that means anything. :lol:

It's always easy to learn programming if you already know how it works and we will need as many coders as possible (Seriously), so fair wind me hearty!

Just make sure that you read the whole current team ideas before proposing one.

i would like to be one of your game testers, im trying to get more experience with it at the moment, i have no proof at the moment except the forum i started for ponies that needed testing, i am a good writer, i can help with making ideas, i will do my best to help if i am wanted for this. my youtube name is discordsrevenge.

Good writer 'eh? I guess you forgot to use capitals and proper punctuation. LOL. :lol:

Well, let's see, but I suggest you to read the current ideas in the google doc first before proposing any idea.

We will release a kind of beta version when it's done. Everypony can test the game and give us feedback in a proper way. Don't worry everypony, we will do our best.

Edited by Sky Warden

Good news, guys! Feld0 has agreed to join the fun and let us host here on MLPForums for 10-20$ a month!

(CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES)

He's also debating whether or not to- 

1) Join as a coder (though he says he's really busy, so... maybe. maybe not.)

2) Join us to the Feldian Network.

We have alicorn support! Yayz. ~

We have Alico Feld0 support to be correct... how come i like Alico instead of Alicorn ali from what alah? or whatev his name it and corn from.. corn?

State what you want to be:

I can be an artist, if not that a story writer

State why you are great at it:

Drawing is something I enjoy, so it story writing lol

Proof that you are good at it:  (Only applies to those who can actually show it such as musicians, artist and etc.)

Well I like pencil sketches, but if you need anything like weapons or armor design I'm much better at those than ponies lol but here

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375413_511906265509799_316479191_n.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252267_510649418968817_1817253674_n.jpg

The second one was a sketch I did in math class lol

State that you will work on this project(Yes this may sound silly, but people leave projects and people never get to see the end result.)

Well I think it would be something interesting to do!

Your skype name as well or Youtube name or facebook name.

Find me on skype, my ID is Volttackle and my youtube is on my profile tho I never check it so skype it is but I can skype you my facebook nvm

Edited by Princess Cadance

You may not need anymore but if there are any test spots open I'll be glad to help. I would like to be a tester because I have many, many, hours of experience in Rpg's. Like 1,000 hours. I tend to make notes at what could be better in a game and I have been a beta tester in 3 games (Halo: Reach {Not very impressive} Skyrim {Getting there} Runescape {Yes, I was one of the selected few to be chosen to test it before its original release}). I currently exploit bugs in games to the creators. Mostly "Underground" games (Games that are not very big).

I would love to help in anyway possible but my skills are not exceptional in any of the other categories stated sadly.

I'll be working on getting my graphics designing skill up and possibly 3-D modeling or even coding.

Edit: almost forgot you can reach me at youtube.com/user/mcca5679/

Sorry its the only thing I'm on almost 24/7... Other than the forums that is. c;

Edited by Wazo52

I'm not trying to demoralize or anything here, but i honestly feel like you dont quite understand how complicated MMORPG's are...

In major corporations teams of several hundred professionals work for several years with huge/unlimited resources only to release a beta and hope their work pays out, and you are trying to do the same with a few dozen unprofessional (no insult, but most/all people applying dont live from this) people who in most cases have limited experience in game development, while only communicating online and having no RL contact.

I've seen a LOT of good game dev. groups fall apart, most of them after setting up an impossible goal (ussualy an mmo), and realizing too late how much trouble it is.

Take a look at some real indy game examples, like Fighting is Magic. The game is very simple, is completely local without any network play at all, and is based on an engine specifically designed for such games (Fighter Maker if i remember right), yet it has been in development for over a year and a half, and still isnt even remotely complete, even for a beta release. How long do you think would take you to finish a game with everything you mentioned in your first post? Not to mention you would need to invest tens of thousands of dollars into dedicated servers and maintenance to keep them running if/when you would complete this...

Also, I'm currently coding in a group working on a 2d singleplayer rpg (and I've worked on many game dev groups who fell apart in the past). We are maybe a month or two into development, we barely scratched the surface of a complete game, and already have lots of issues concerning game mechanics, npc AI, storyline etc.

Trust me, go for something simpler, because this will never get completed. I'm sorry, but an MMO simply isnt a realistic goal...

Edited by Tol'Satha
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not trying to demoralize or anything here, but i honestly feel like you dont quite understand how complicated MMORPG's are...

In major corporations teams of several hundred professionals work for several years with huge/unlimited resources only to release a beta and hope their work pays out, and you are trying to do the same with a few dozen unprofessional (no insult, but most/all people applying dont live from this) people who in most cases have limited experience in game development, while only communicating online and having no RL contact.

I've seen a LOT of good game dev. groups fall apart, most of them after setting up an impossible goal (ussualy an mmo), and realizing too late how much trouble it is.

Take a look at some real indy game examples, like Fighting is Magic. The game is very simple, is completely local without any network play at all, and is based on an engine specifically designed for such games (Fighter Maker if i remember right), yet it has been in development for over a year and a half, and still isnt even remotely complete, even for a beta release. How long do you think would take you to finish a game with everything you mentioned in your first post? Not to mention you would need to invest tens of thousands of dollars into dedicated servers and maintenance to keep them running if/when you would complete this...

Also, I'm currently coding in a group working on a 2d singleplayer rpg (and I've worked on many game dev groups who fell apart in the past). We are maybe a month or two into development, we barely scratched the surface of a complete game, and already have lots of issues concerning game mechanics, npc AI, storyline etc.

Trust me, go for something simpler, because this will never get completed. I'm sorry, but an MMO simply isnt a realistic goal...

I agree, I think we should just simplify it quite a bit this project will take 20 years to even get to an alpha stage. Its not going to have everything you want but its better to start small

Why don't you guys just work together and make one great game in a serious project? That will be nice.

I love this idea so much better. We need to find and pull together a complete and real team to make a game such as this.

I for one, would dedicated to project like this one. I am currently working in a computer programming course for C and C++. So in other words, I am considering making this game a part of my school. I am in need to get some kind of game made for a nice report or hone my skills in programming. I'll see this project or a combined one till the end.

I highly recommend we hunt down those currently working on a MLP game here on the forums for them to join us or we join them.

State what you want to be: Coder

State why you are great at it: I have no proof of my coding skills. But I am working towards my future and I think this would be a great way of honing my skills.

Proof that you are good at it:  I can do some art when needed: vector of my OC pony and AJ

I can do music if needed: SoundCloud Profile

now as for coding, I don't have a link. But my course is valued at 1000$ and it teaches me how to code in C, C++ and java. I also have programs to get the game under way such as Unity 3D.

State that you will work on this project: It is going to be a part of my school so I have to do it.

For programmers, be sufficient at C++: Learning.

Youtube

- Maxos

Well so far we have a story even if it do make me conflict with seji abit but its working for now and all we need it to make the browser game first then we go on downloadable game or which is more simple to make, also i agree with the others about something simple first.

So I came up with an idea since I couldn't sleep and right now I'm looking for animators, musicians, networking experts, story writers, 3-D modelers, artist, coders, graphic designers, and testers

Here's what my idea is exactly; I want a game that's a MMORPG with action such as WoW, but I want the world map based on Equestria and and other places that get shown in the show so that way there's always something to explore, I want a leveling system and a stat system.  I also want a good monster system, something that isn't to hard and something that isn't to easy.  I would like to implement quest system into it as well so that way the players can progress through the story line and gives reward and experience after you complete the quest.  I would also like a enhancement system so that way the players can get more powerful weapons and armor.  I want to also have a PvP system so that way players can test how good they are and how powerful they are.  I also want a class system so that way the races of each pony type has it's on special stats.  I want a skill system where you get special finishing moves and special attacks to look cool in.  I also want a money system so that the players can buy their stuff and what not.  I also want a custom sound track and custom art and also custom animation so the game looks really good.

So here's how you sign up:

Proof that you are good at it:  (Only applies to those who can actually show it such as musicians, artist and etc.)

State that you will work on this project(Yes this may sound silly, but people leave projects and people never get to see the end result.)

For programmers, be sufficient at C++.

That is all I want for now and please sign up, we will need your support.

careful, i was helping for one of these and they got a very real copyright complaint... they had to stop developing it and removed the option to download it... such a shame...

Well so far we have a story even if it do make me conflict with seji abit but its working for now and all we need it to make the browser game first then we go on downloadable game or which is more simple to make, also i agree with the others about something simple first.

I wouldn't suggest a browser, because that would cost so much money to run web servers like that. I think a downloadable game would be easier For alpha servers. I'd think anyone could run a server on their home computer with some friends for now, this way people can spend the money to run their own servers, if it cost anything for them in the first place. Its most cost effective for people   to run their own clients and servers. We would develop better versions over time and release them for people to update as this game is being created. When their is enough support, a proper MMO server can be released and a added browser feature if needed. 

careful, i was helping for one of these and they got a very real copyright complaint... they had to stop developing it and removed the option to download it... such a shame...

Huh, you know your so right. We need to make an agreement on paper that allows people to help in whatever way they can in the form of mods or something like that. Any mods that are really good can be implemented into the game if the lead developers agree on it. But to avoid the very thing you warned. I would think that the modders don't have the rights to their own work on this MLP game. Everything you make for this game can not be copyrighted so that development can continue. You can be credited for creating the addition to the game, but you can't copyright your work, as this is a community made game.

- Maxos

I think I could help with this game.

State what you want to be: Programmer

State why you are great at it: I have been learning C++ for a half of a year, I can do Object Oriented Programming.

State that you will work on this project: I will try to work on this project most of my free time and I will not abandon it.

My Email: krzychu_pro@op.pl

Sorry if I made any grammar mistakes, but English is not my native language.

I can be an artist, if not that a story writer

Drawing is something I enjoy, so it story writing lol

Well I like pencil sketches, but if you need anything like weapons or armor design I'm much better at those than ponies lol but here

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375413_511906265509799_316479191_n.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252267_510649418968817_1817253674_n.jpg

The second one was a sketch I did in math class lol

Well I think it would be something interesting to do!

Find me on skype, my ID is Volttackle and my youtube is on my profile tho I never check it so skype it is but I can skype you my facebook nvm

I would like you to be on the team since we are still missing an artist and I do like your work, I'll go ahead and just add you to the discussion group.

I wouldn't suggest a browser, because that would cost so much money to run web servers like that. I think a downloadable game would be easier For alpha servers. I'd think anyone could run a server on their home computer with some friends for now, this way people can spend the money to run their own servers, if it cost anything for them in the first place. Its most cost effective for people   to run their own clients and servers. We would develop better versions over time and release them for people to update as this game is being created. When their is enough support, a proper MMO server can be released and a added browser feature if needed. 

Huh, you know your so right. We need to make an agreement on paper that allows people to help in whatever way they can in the form of mods or something like that. Any mods that are really good can be implemented into the game if the lead developers agree on it. But to avoid the very thing you warned. I would think that the modders don't have the rights to their own work on this MLP game. Everything you make for this game can not be copyrighted so that development can continue. You can be credited for creating the addition to the game, but you can't copyright your work, as this is a community made game.

- Maxos

huh? they got a copyright complaint from hasbro, at first we thought it was trolls but it turned out it was them... unless that's what you're talking about

huh? they got a copyright complaint from hasbro, at first we thought it was trolls but it turned out it was them... unless that's what you're talking about

O sugar, that's not good. Well I am out, for this isn't worth the time and effort just to be crushed by copyrights from Hasbro. If anyone were to make a game now, it would have to be something completely different. Not one thing, not even a name from the show can be put into this game.

This can't be taken lightly.

I with draw my application.

- Maxos

You're talking about MLP:Online, aren't you?

Yeah, that's always my fear with projects like these. Stupid copyright and piracy laws...who needs laws? I'll tell you who: capitalists. Dirty capitalists.  ;)

• Brohoof 2

Yes, we realize this. We're working on getting permission from Hasbro right now, actually. Can't be a proper game without the proper permissions.

• Brohoof 1