Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

C.Discord's 'The Fabulosity vs Tomboy Conundrum' Discussion

NavelColt

Something I've always found amusing is that the show and the fanbase seem to depict two different things when it comes to Rarity.

In the show, Rarity and Applejack are depicted as the 'dead-lock' opposites who get on each others nerves constantly. They had an entire episode all about them bickering with one another, which we all know to be Look Before You Sleep. Since then, we've seen a plethora of scenes where their opposite-ness is shown again and again. For a season three example, all throughout my personal favorite episode, Sleepless in Ponyville, Applejack made several comments referring to Rarity's fussiness, over-packing, etc.

post-4006-0-26058600-1357552788.png

The 'Uncouth VS Fussy' Duo is all but a staple of the community at this point.

Interestingly enough, the fanbase's general attitude doesn't seem to depict the same thing. I don't see much strife very often between Rarity and Applejack fans. Oh no, in the fanbase, what I notice much more is that it's the Rarity and Rainbow Dash fans who are constantly hating on the other and their favorite character.

For a local example, it seems to me that seven out of ten Rarity fans, at least the more active ones, hate Dash, or at least have her near to the bottom of their favorite character pole. Coming from a character perspective, it makes perfect sense that Rarity fans would be the most likely to not like Dash, given that they like Rarity's sophisticated nature. Dash is even more of a tomboy than Applejack is, and is probably just as opposite to Rarity as Applejack is. I suppose the show latched onto Applejack's stubbornness, especially to girly things, and that acted as the clincher that made her the pick to be Rarity's 'polar opposite' character as opposed to Dash.

post-4006-0-58529500-1357552789.png

Dash and Rarity hardly, if ever, come to verbal blows, unlike the fashionista and the farmer.

'Honestly, I wonder why our fans bicker so much, Rainbow Dash.'

'I dunno, but if I was a fan of me, I'd fight tooth and nail for my awesomeness, too~'

I simply find it interesting that the show depicts a rivalry of two characters that the fanbase doesn't reflect much, meanwhile, the fanbase depicts a rivalry about two characters of which the show doesn't reflect much. You don't see Applejack fans and Rarity fans attacking each other often, despite the fact the show has them as opposites, and you also don't see Dash and Rarity butting heads in the show, even though their fans do.

I myself am just as apart of this noticed trend. Dash is my favorite character, Rarity is my least. It should be noted though that I don't hate Rarity, I think she's great, she just interests me the least of the characters. Maybe her being so very opposite of Dash is a part of that.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 15

I don't know. I don't see many "Rarity sucks" threads, but I seem to stumble upon "RD sucks" threads just about everywhere.

As RD lover the only reason for disliking Rarity I can see and is related to RD - the (and I forgot the name again) episode where Rarity gets the butterfly wings. She was a real ass in this one episode. 

I really like them both tho, so I might be a bit off when it comes to the trend, but as I repeat way too more often than I'd like to - Some people just LOVE to hate. So, let's take it as a compliment, RD is so cool and distinct character that people actually focus on her. Yay.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know. I don't see many "Rarity sucks" threads, but I seem to stumble upon "RD sucks" threads just about everywhere.

As RD lover the only reason for disliking Rarity I can see and is related to RD - the (and I forgot the name again) episode where Rarity gets the butterfly wings. She was a real ass in this one episode. 

I really like them both tho, so I might be a bit off when it comes to the trend, but as I repeat way too more often than I'd like to - Some people just LOVE to hate. So, let's take it as a compliment, RD is so cool and distinct character that people actually focus on her. Yay.

Dash is hated on quite often for this that and the other thing, usually something related to her brashness. I see a lot of it by Rarity fans, not just here but in other places too. Conversely, Rarity gets endless hate for 'never following her element', and also for isolated instances where she comes off as very self-absorbed, like what you've mentioned.

It's not a trend that's seen absolutely everywhere all the time, but I assure you it's there ;)

• Brohoof 3

You know, I don't get why people hate Rainbow Dash because she can be a jerk.

In a way, Rarity also has problems. 

For one thing, she generally gets others to do work for her when she doesn't want to do it. Isn't that a problem?

Anyway, for me, it's not exactly Tomboy vs. Fabulous. 

Applejack is my least favorite out of the mane 6 and Rainbow Dash is tied for my favorite with Pinkie. Rarity is actually my 4th favorite pony. 

Anyway, for me, it's not exactly Tomboy vs. Fabulous. 

Applejack is my least favorite out of the mane 6 and Rainbow Dash is tied for my favorite with Pinkie. Rarity is actually my 4th favorite pony. 

Everyone's different :3 Dash is also different from Applejack in the sense that AJ is plain, down to earth and generally more mature than Dash can be when she's being a hot head. More reasons for why there's this distinction between Rarity fans not liking Dash instead of following the show's lead and not liking Applejack. As for you, if your favorite ponies are the two most outspoken and 'spotlight stealing' ones, and the least flashy character is your least, your spectrum probably has a 'character's flash', and 'extrovert VS introvert' variable having more of an input on it than fabulous VS tomboy.

• Brohoof 1

While Rarity isn't my favorite pony of the mane 6, I get what you're saying. I think this may also be because of Rarity being less liked by fans (I believe she's the least liked mane 6) and RD generally being most liked, or next to Flutters. Which is also a reason people hate on her.

You know, I don't get why people hate Rainbow Dash because she can be a jerk.

In a way, Rarity also has problems. 

For one thing, she generally gets others to do work for her when she doesn't want to do it. Isn't that a problem

But that isn't the only reason why I don't like Dash. While this may just be my opinion, I don't like her because she's over powered. She seems to have no limit. She's most likely one of the fastest ponies in Equestria, can preform sonic rainbooms without breaking a sweat as of A Canterlot Wedding, yet is barely acknowledged for that. Twilight, who is the lead element has more limits then her.

I also don't like her because she is a protagonist, this is more directed towards season 1 and most 2 episodes, but still applies fairly well. I would /love/ Dash as an antagonist. Why? She has the right personality to be a very good antagonist, but as a protagonist it seems odd for a pony who is a bit of a jerk to be the element of loyalty. While ponies like Lightning Dust, have very similar personalities, are the antagonist for being reckless... Bit hypocritical.

Again, just my opinion. 

I also don't like her because she is a protagonist, this is more directed towards season 1 and most 2 episodes, but still applies fairly well. I would /love/ Dash as an antagonist. Why? She has the right personality to be a very good antagonist, but as a protagonist it seems odd for a pony who is a bit of a jerk to be the element of loyalty. While ponies like Lightning Dust, have very similar personalities, are the antagonist for being reckless... Bit hypocritical.

Again, just my opinion. 

Funny you should mention that. Rarity is also often talked about how her character is usually the antagonist in shows, but how in this one, it isn't.

Funny you should mention that. Rarity is also often talked about how her character is usually the antagonist in shows, but how in this one, it isn't.

Actually would like Rarity as an antagonist as well. It's just more apparent in Dash to me. While Rarity seems a bit prissy at times, that isn't really an antagonist personality.

• Brohoof 1

I see Rarity and Applejack as a little twist on the classic "Odd Couple" scenario. It's an old formula that still works. But rather than one being OCD or just plain persnickety and the other not caring about anything, they're exactly the kind of people (ponies) they need to be so they can make it in their professions. However, get them together and the result is the same; they might frustrate each other constantly, but deep down and through it all, they still love and complete one another. A friend and I are sort of like that.

Applejack isn't what I would qualify as a tomboy. I knew lots of Applejacks growing up. She's willing to do whatever needs doing, and the type of work she was raised to do doesn't allow for one to be very concerned with luxury or niceties  Applejack is a pony of simple tastes and is easily contented. It would also seem she's practically the head of the household even if Granny Smith is the most senior and experienced of the family, which is an extra layer of responsibility that calls for a bit more ruggedness out there on the farm.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hand, can be just as vain as Rarity. Her biggest concern is self-image and how others perceive her. Opposite approaches to the same ideal is what you have with those two, which is more frequently a point of contention than two people with different motivations doing similar things. A Rarity/Rainbow Dash conflict seems quite natural to me and I'm not surprised that the fans have that going on.

For the record, I'd like to add that while Twilight is my favorite and though I'm as guilty as any in starting and perpetuating best pony wars (strictly for the lulz and camaraderie they bring), I don't dislike any of the ponies. All of them are just as wonderful in their own ways. I just happen to find Twilight the most kindred of them all.

• Brohoof 9

I've noticed this trend as well to a degree, and it confuses the crap out of me for two reasons.

The first is that I can't particularly understand hating any of the mane six. They are all fairly likable in my opinion, for very different reasons yes, but they seem to all be positive engaging good people.

The second reason is that I have always thought that Rarity and Rainbow Dash have a lot more in common than they (or a solid chunk of their fans) would care to admit. More than any other characters, they are concerned with others' perception of them. They are the two who are working toward some eventual goal that they don't have now. They both have somewhat quick tempers that cause them to be abrasive or insensitive at times, but they are able to overcome their flaws to still be amazing people and friends.

They also, in my opinion, have massive undeserved hatedoms. I find them possibly the two must nuanced and interesting characters in the entire series.

As for their fans (I'm a fan of both, I just happen to prefer one over the other) I'd like it if we could set this aside and just appreciate the characters.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 11

The second reason is that I have always thought that Rarity and Rainbow Dash have a lot more in common than they (or a solid chunk of their fans) would care to admit. More than any other characters, they are concerned with others' perception of them. They are the two who are working toward some eventual goal that they don't have now. They both have somewhat quick tempers that cause them to sometimes be abrasive or insensitive at times, but they are able to overcome their flaws to still be amazing people and friends.

Exactly. I feel the same way about Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. Both excitable, both are the most likely to act paranoid or be suspicious, both break down when people abandon them, both make big deals out of small problems.

I never see much rivalry between fans of Rarity and Applejack either. The fans of each are less common, treasure the bits of attention that the characters get, and are fans of hard working ponies who have a tendency of not taking care of themselves in favor of their work. Rarity fans never seem to have Applejack at the bottoms of their lists, and Applejack fans always seem to enjoy Rarity as well.

I also notice a bit of a RD vs AJ rivalry, which does have a basis in the show. It's a sort of one up the other thing, just like in the show:

"Rainbow Dash does this!"

"Applejack does this and BETTER and she doesn't brag!"

"Rainbow Dash does this EVEN BETTER and she was LOYAL!"

• Brohoof 3

I also notice a bit of a RD vs AJ rivalry, which does have a basis in the show. It's a sort of one up the other thing, just like in the show:

"Rainbow Dash does this!"

"Applejack does this and BETTER and she doesn't brag!"

"Rainbow Dash does this EVEN BETTER and she was LOYAL!"

Never seen THAT happen before...

I agree definitely about the Applejack/Rarity alliance as well. They're probably two of the most underrated characters so their fans can probably feel a degree of sympathy for each other. This was more prominent when I frequented a different MLP forum when a few Applejack/Rarity fans were essentially like "Your favorite character is overrated and for the next half hour I'm gonna tell you all about it!"

Facepalm.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 5

I would never attack anyone for being a fan of a non-Dash pony, even if they criticized Rainbow unjustly (and some do). My favorite pony is just too cool for that.

And I would never question anyone's love of Rarity, darlings. The Fabulous One just happens to be my second favorite of the Mane 6.

mlpfim_clip05.png

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

My favorite is Applejack and my least favorite is Rarity but I don't hate Rarity though I do feel that her negative traits are over emphasized and her positive traits are under emphasized. Rainbow Dash was my 4th favorite but has moved up to my 3rd favorite after Sleepless in Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy episodes. As for Rarity fans, I generally don't have a problem with them they are have their favorite and I have mine.

• Brohoof 1

I would have to say i don't see many Rarity fans hate on Rainbow Dash or even vice versa. Even if somebody hates on a character its usually because they have the opposite personality of them and most people are the opposite of Dash so in turn i believe that's why she gets alot of hate. It really depends on who likes who the most and who likes who the most (and probably character interaction)  While i did really like both Rarity and Rainbow Dash's character myself both of them were at the bottom of my favorite pony list until Season 3 started which was when Dashie moved up to number 4 for once! I personally don't hate on anypony for real but i do tend to do it just to tease people. (Especially C.Discord and all you other Rainbow Dash fans)

• Brohoof 2

I don't fit either category, I don't bicker about who the best ponies are in general, it's a waste of time really. I can see that the show's rivalry is a plot advancement technique and the fanbase's is a comparison of the actual characters though.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe we haven't seen this sort of rivalry within the show simply because we've never really seen Rarity and Dash interact with each other?  I can only remember explicitly (which I admit is not something to trust) one interaction between the two characters in the Crystal Empire (when Dash says something to the effect of the crystal palace being not that interesting).  The only other one I can think of is in Suited for Success, but again that interaction is relatively short.  Even in episodes where they would be most likely to interact, like Sonic Rainboom and Sleepless in Ponyville, they don't.  In Rainboom, it seemed to be more of Rarity going, "Look at me!  I have wings!" while Dash went, "Oh crap, she has wings," with very little dialogue between the two.  In Sleepless, they once again had very little interaction because there was more of a focus on the relationship between the sisters.

Perhaps their relationship is more of the 'I consider this person my friend because they're friends with my friend' and avoid interaction specifically because they know that this sort of rivalry would occur.

Then again, it's possible that I'm completely overlooking an obvious fact that proves me completely wrong.

• Brohoof 4

I can understand that, each of the Mane 6 have different personalities. But, when it comes to Applejack vs. Rarity, I really agree with people that say, Rarity's good qualities are being underused because she is a good pony, but when her Greed took her element in The Return of Harmony, we saw how that may have changed her.

To me its not that striking. Rarity is the representation of order, fashion, poise, elegance, etc. Rainbow dash is basically the anti Rarity. Applejack and Rarity may disagree, but Applejack at her core isn't as different from Rarity as some may think. Both are hard workers, both are mature, both operate their own business and both are responsible. Its more of a culture war between then a personality war.

Fans that are die Hard Rarity Fans Vs Die Hard RD fans, its a personality war. Rd is carefree, lazy, plays all day and aside from weather patrol has little responsibility. AJ fans have more in common with Rarity at her core while RD fans and Rarity fans couldn't be more different in terms of personality. Of course I am speaking in general. 

• Brohoof 5

Something I've always found amusing is that the show and the fanbase seem to depict two different things when it comes to Rarity.

In the show, Rarity and Applejack are depicted as the 'dead-lock' opposites who get on each others nerves constantly. They had an entire episode all about them bickering with one another, which we all know to be Look Before You Sleep. Since then, we've seen a plethora of scenes where their opposite-ness is shown again and again. For a season three example, all throughout my personal favorite episode, Sleepless in Ponyville, Applejack made several comments referring to Rarity's fussiness, over-packing, etc.

img-1063100-1-attachicon.gifApplejack VS Rarity.png

The 'Uncouth VS Fussy' Duo is all but a staple of the community at this point.

Interestingly enough, the fanbase's general attitude doesn't seem to depict the same thing. I don't see much strife very often between Rarity and Applejack fans. Oh no, in the fanbase, what I notice much more is that it's the Rarity and Rainbow Dash fans who are constantly hating on the other and their favorite character.

For a local example, it seems to me that seven out of ten Rarity fans, at least the more active ones, hate Dash, or at least have her near to the bottom of their favorite character pole. Coming from a character perspective, it makes perfect sense that Rarity fans would be the most likely to not like Dash, given that they like Rarity's sophisticated nature. Dash is even more of a tomboy than Applejack is, and is probably just as opposite to Rarity as Applejack is. I suppose the show latched onto Applejack's stubbornness, especially to girly things, and that acted as the clincher that made her the pick to be Rarity's 'polar opposite' character as opposed to Dash.

img-1063100-2-attachicon.gifNoHateHereFolks.png

Dash and Rarity hardly, if ever, come to verbal blows, unlike the fashionista and the farmer.

'Honestly, I wonder why our fans bicker so much, Rainbow Dash.'

'I dunno, but if I was a fan of me, I'd fight tooth and nail for my awesomeness, too~'

I simply find it interesting that the show depicts a rivalry of two characters that the fanbase doesn't reflect much, meanwhile, the fanbase depicts a rivalry about two characters of which the show doesn't reflect much. You don't see Applejack fans and Rarity fans attacking each other often, despite the fact the show has them as opposites, and you also don't see Dash and Rarity butting heads in the show, even though their fans do.

I myself am just as apart of this noticed trend. Dash is my favorite character, Rarity is my least. It should be noted though that I don't hate Rarity, I think she's great, she just interests me the least of the characters. Maybe her being so very opposite of Dash is a part of that.

Well Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony but, Rarity is also my second favorite so I really like both of them. I have no idea how can anyone can hate either Rainbow Dash or Rarity. I like Rainbow Dash's nonconformist ways and Rarity's more sophisticated views. Maybe because I myself am a bit of a nonconforming sophisticated anymore. For example I like listening to underground music and I always speak using proper grammar (I never use double negatives).

Edited by Neighvana666
  • Brohoof 2

Interesting observation CD.  I'd have to agree that it does indeed seem that, more often than not, RD fans' least favorite Mane 6 pony is Rarity, and vice versa for Rarity fans concerning RD.  Now, despite the fact that plenty of banter still takes place between AJ and Rarity, I don't think that the show depicts them as bickering polar opposites anymore.  Don't get me wrong, they're still polar opposites, but ever since "Look Before You Sleep," the show has depicted them as growing increasingly closer and closer, to the point that at this point in the show's canon I'd go so far as saying that they're the closest pair of friends in the Mane 6 (and my favorite pair actually!).  This is what I think AJ and Rarity fans latch onto, and is why both types of fans embrace the friendship between the two so much; in some ways, their polar opposite mannerisms and interactions make their close friendship all the more surprising and appealing to AJ and Rarity fans.

Now, concerning RD and Rarity, the aforementioned observations concerning AJ and Rarity may actually be the reason behind why Rarity and RD fans have little feelings for RD/Rarity.  While AJ and Rarity have many, many, many interactions with each other (as you pointed out), RD and Rarity actually don't have too many one-on-one interactions with each other, and when they do, they don't exactly engage in witty banter or light-hearted bickering.  That's not to say that they aren't polar opposites; as you said, they most certainly are, perhaps even more than AJ and Rarity are.  BUT the show does not emphasize this in their relationship as it does with AJ and Rarity, and, as a result, their friendship does not come across as quite as surprising as AJ and Rarity's does.  I'd say they interact one-on-one with each other about as much as AJ and Pinkie Pie do, which is to say, not that much, and so maybe it's just inevitable that RD fans don't find that much appealing about Rarity, and vice versa for Rarity fans concerning RD.  So yeah, it's a funny thing like you said; the show doesn't emphasize the polar opposite natures of RD and Rarity, and as a result RD and Rarity fans don't have many nice things to say about the other pony.  On the other hand, the show does emphasize the polar opposite natures of AJ and Rarity, and as a result, AJ and Rarity fans love the other pony and the friendship between the two.  That's funny how it's turned out; very interesting observation Chaotic, very interesting indeed.  -_-

132518785510.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-Epic Bump!

After much searching I have finally found them! The one person in the entire fandom who has Rainbow and Rarity tied for the spot of the best pony! They even made an amazing PMV dedicated to both of them!

With this I formally declare peace.

• Brohoof 8

Actually would like Rarity as an antagonist as well. It's just more apparent in Dash to me. While Rarity seems a bit prissy at times, that isn't really an antagonist personality.

Ironicly enough Twilight isn't exactly the type of character that ends up being the leader in cartoons, normally the smart brain's of the operation just sits around gathering information, but shes the actual leader.

Its actually something I like about the show, they have character archetype's that you normally don't see, and placed in roles they aren't often in.

I'm not saying that Rarity or Rainbow Dash wouldn't make great antagonists, its just I think that the fact they aren't is part of whats interesting about the show.

Anyways, as for the Applejack Vs Rarity thing. I can see why they are always shown as taking some what of a dislike to each other, because really almost everything about them is opposite. Applejack is not afraid to get her hoofs dirty, but Rarity would have a freak out over it, Rarity is all about looking fabulous, and Applejack is all about being simple and not very complex for what she wears really. Shes easily satisfied, low needs. I could go on and on about their differences. I think its just one of those type of friendships where even though they're basically polar opposites and they seem to fight alot, they really care for each other deep down.

As for Rainbow Dash and Rarity, I don't really have any idea why they don't really conflict with each other ever. Infact Rarity actually full out is the first to want to help her during "Sonic Rainboom" Yet they don't really share much more then AJ and Rarity in common.

Only thing I can think of is it has to do with Rainbow Dash being the element of Loyalty, maybe thats why she doesn't conflict with Rarity despite her differences.. Its kinda a stretch though, I have nothing other then that.

I also want to add this. While I mean no offense to anypony, I find it kinda hard to hate any of the Mane 6 really. I mean I personally like them all to some degree, I mean its cool if you don't really like them, but flat out hate seems hard to me for any of the characters, maybe its just me who knows, but I find it really hard to hate the adorableness of a pony. They all have their moments they shine for me, its just some shine better then others to me.

Everyones entitled to their opinions of course, I just always found it hard to understand.

Anyways, I think that covers everything I wanted to say for now.

• Brohoof 3

I find a lot of Rarity fans are also fans of Applejack, myself included, but those are just my experiences. Why I have no idea. I like Applejack's brutal sort of manner (in the sense that she's non-nonsense, not that she's actually violent) and Rarity's sort of fussiness. I often find myself attracted to both personalities in real life.

I think the reason is that Rarity and Rainbow are the two most cosmopolitan in the show; they both have very strong desires to be the best, and that creates a sort of wall between their fans. Also, they haven't had too much "friendly" interaction in the show-they have, but they never seem to be alone often and when they are they're trying to outshine one another or something of that sort. 

Edited by Captain Hammer
  • Brohoof 1

I for one like both Applejack and Rarity. It's really hard for most people to like both, because of their distinct personalities.

Pretty much, the Look Before You Sleep episode covers it.

• Brohoof 2