books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Try horror. My favourite.

Lovecraft, King, Poe, Matheson, Barker...

Or the best of fantasy,

Rowling, Tolkien, Rober E. Howard...

-

As for the other questions.

Do you like reading?

Yes, I do like reading, though that hobby is slowly fading away.

What kind of books do you like to read?

Horror are the best kind of books, the ones with the more interesting characters and villains. The only ones that are actually exciting.

What are your favorite books of all time?

Any of Lovecraft's books are just masterpieces. Same with Tolkien. Also, a few of Stephen King, specially the Dark Tower series.

Favourite Author?

That's very difficult. I have to choose between Lovecraft, the master of such horror that would make Hitchcock shit his pants, or Tolkien, the creator of all that is the remagination of the fantasy world and has inspired basically everything fantasy-like...

• Brohoof 3

Overlord of Darkness

pA8aD3G.gif

Signature made by: Astral Blitzen

http://mlpforums.com/user/24786-astral-blitzen/

I enjoy reading but I find fiction boring.  I usually look for books on combat, survival, hacking and the like.  I read books with knowledge I can use to my advantage.  I don't have a favourite author but my current favourite book is called "The Ultimate Guide to US. Army Survival."  This book is filled with so much useful knowledge.

• Brohoof 2

books aren't really my thing there is only one series that catches my attention though and that is the Chronicles of Valdmir Tod I have read two books from that series and am currently reading the third one

probably the thing I love about it is in the first book it starts out with a Vampire kid named Vlad in the 8th grade trying to keep his secret and stuff

in the second book were introduced to a new main character who is a vampire slayer named Joss who is the same age as Vlad and becomes a slayer after his sisters death

in the third book they both meet and Vlad has no idea he is a slayer and Joss has no idea he is a vampire and they become friends

also I write fan fictions on MLP I'm still working on my first one its done but its being edited

• Brohoof 2

Sig2.jpg

Well, im gonna make it short.   First off, Im not a big fan of reading (excluding IT related books), tbh; however, I read certain books (adventure, sci-fi, mystery, and fantasy).

• Brohoof 1

Well, I was never a big reader myself, but I am slowly getting into it thanks to my Kindle Paperwhite. I love that little device. <3

As such, I haven't read much. Right now, I am reading through Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy which I find to be quite excellent. In the future, I hope to read Jurassic Park, A Song of Fire & Ice, Lord of the Rings, and other fictional books.

However, what I would really love to find are some great e-books on some of my favorite non-fiction subjects: geography, cartography, archeology, the history of the Roman and Persian empires, and the like.

• Brohoof 1

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

Do you like reading? 

I do, although unfortunately it's sometimes hard to find the time to read.

Dystopian, post-apocalyptic, adventure, horror, maybe little drama or romance if I'm feeling saucy.

Favorite books of all time?

Animal Farm, 1984, The Giver, The Leviathan Trilogy, and The Lord of the Flies among others.

Favorite author?

George Orwell or Stephen King.

I would suggest any of the books or genres above.

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

22d5c314-72de-42b0-842a-46e4dcf5ea37.jpg

Your very own Victorian-styling, airship-flying, super-sizing, brass-lining, quick-drying, detoxifying, low-pricing, newbie-knifing, over-driving, sometimes-hiding, unsurprising, ninja-fighting, perfect-timing, always-smiling, never-lying, best at writing, also rhyming automaton!

Do you like reading?

Yes, I absolutely adore reading.

Not any specific genre, but the books that make your think for hours after you're done and have some kind of original impact on you. Please, for the love of god, no romance though. A bit is fine but if it's the main focus then it's usually not for me. I have read some exceptions.

Tolkien's books are absolutely fantastic, and judging from what I've seen Lovecraft looks brilliant. Yes, I have not read Lovecraft, and I plan to read one of his as soon as possible. I enjoy horror that isn't mindless gore, especially psychological horror. The Dark Tower series looks good too, but one of my parent's good friends is reading through the second one. She's on Chapter 7 and she started reading it in 2004. I'm pretty sure she'd be pissed if I finished it before her.

Favourite Author?

I... really can't decide. Get back to me on that one.

Some books I suggest reading if you haven't already:

• Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit by Tolkien, obviously.
  • Harry Potter right this goddamned second. I've been hitting one of my friends trying to make her read one of the books.
  • I heard Game of Thrones is pretty good if you're into fictional politics.
  • Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman is a great read.
If you need any more suggestions i'll be more then happy to recommend some excellent novel-quality MLP fanfiction. Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 1

Have the courage to think and act on your own. And have the courage to disobey.

I don't read as much as I used to, but I still enjoy a good book every now and then. I'll read anything really, as long as it interests me. Some of my favorite novels are

• Welcome to the NHK
  • A thousand splendid suns 
  • Sword Art Online
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • The fault in our stars
  • The stand

I don't know that I really have a favorite author at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

post-8308-0-79770000-1395439789.png

Credit for the signature goes to Kyoshi

Do you like reading?

Yes, I like it so much. I read many books If I have a time of course.

What kind of books do you like to read (romance, supernatural, thriller, etc.)?

It's hard to say. I read much  kinds of books. Maybe I write, which kind of books i hate... So, I hate romance, women's literature and crime. I like books in which there are some political conspiracy, battles etc. And I very like postapocalyptic climate in books.

White Fang, I love this books since i read it first time.

1984, because this book have a amazing climate.

Achtung Panzer by Guderian

Favorite author?

Dostoyevsky and Orwell

• Brohoof 1

ZnB9Kpt.png

Do you like reading? I do, but I have a hard time getting into it. I'm very picky about what I read, and I don't always have the comprehension to get through an entire book.

What kind of books do you like to read (romance, supernatural, thriller, etc.)? I love Paranormal/Supernatural, fantasy and sci-fi stuff. I do like romance too. I'll read anything as long as it's interesting to me. XD

What are your favorite books of all time? Hm, the Immortal Series? I also love The Kingdom Keeper Series as well.

Favorite author? All I can think of is Alyson Noel. I don't pay much attention to authors though. XD

x Haruhi Suzumiya x

sig-29620.3QzBPgp.jpg

goddess of the world

twitter

Do you like reading?

Yes, I absolutely adore reading.

Not any specific gender, but the books that make your think for hours after you're done and have some kind of original impact on you. Please, for the love of god, no romance though. A bit is fine but if it's the main focus then it's usually not for me. I have read some exceptions.

Tolkien's books are absolutely fantastic, and judging from what I've seen Lovecraft looks brilliant. Yes, I have not read Lovecraft, and I plan to read one of his as soon as possible. I enjoy horror that isn't mindless gore, especially psychological horror. The Dark Tower series looks good too, but one of my parent's good friends is reading through the second one. She's on Chapter 7 and she started reading it in 2004. I'm pretty sure she'd be pissed if I finished it before her.

Favourite Author?

I... really can't decide. Get back to me on that one.

Some books I suggest reading if you haven't already:

• Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit by Tolkien, obviously.
  • Harry Potter right this goddamned second. I've been hitting one of my friends trying to make her read one of the books.
  • I heard Game of Thrones is pretty good if you're into fictional politics.
  • Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman is a great read.

If you need any more suggestions i'll be more then happy to recommend some excellent novel-quality MLP fanfiction.

I agree with you about romance books. A little is always good, but a whole novel based entirely on romance is dull and uninteresting. 

Also, I love Harry Potter, but I wanna slap myself in the face for watching the movies but not reading the books. I have all seven of them on my shelf, but I haven't got around to reading any of them yet. *facepalm* Maybe I should start now. :)

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what you like to read.  I highly recommend Jim Butchers "Dresden Files" series, it's my favorite.

Do you like reading? I LOVE to read

What kind of books do you like to read? I'm into fantasy, supernatural, thrillers, and mysteries the most.

What are your favorite books of all time? Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey, Death Masks by Jim Butcher, and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein.

Favorite author? Jim Butcher

I agree with you about romance books. A little is always good, but a whole novel based entirely on romance is dull and uninteresting.

Also, I love Harry Potter, but I wanna slap myself in the face for watching the movies but not reading the books. I have all seven of them on my shelf, but I haven't got around to reading any of them yet. *facepalm* Maybe I should start now. :)

START NOW

THEY MISSED A LOT. LIKE HOW LUPIN KNOWS ABOUT THE MAP. WHY JAMES ISN'T ACTUALLY A MASSIVE DICK. HOW DRACO ACTUALLY FIRST MET HARRY. A SHITTON OF THINGS IN ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. I MEAN SERIOUSLY READ THE BOOKS NOWW.

*cough* Rant over, sorry, but seriously read the books. They're great.

• Brohoof 1

Have the courage to think and act on your own. And have the courage to disobey.

I'm a reader with a big problem: I have no idea what to read next. Does anypony here have any suggestions?

Do you like reading? What kind of books do you like to read (romance, supernatural, thriller, etc.)? What are your favorite books of all time? Favorite author?

Try THE OATH it's got a lot of spiritual stuff in it and tons of hidden meanings. Forgive me I forgot the name  of the author.

• 1 month later...

I've been searching for a topic like this but I couldn't find one, so I'm starting one :)

As the title says, what is your favorite book or book series so far that captivated, inspired you or you just enjoyed the most?

My favorite books are:

• Lords of the Flies (an awesome classic IMO)
  • Battle Royal (the first longer book I've ever read)
  • Inheritance Cycle series (pretty much the best book series I've ever read)
  • Brohoof 5

1567147001_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Credit for the Signature: Self made

Credit for the Profile Page BG: ereb-tauramandil [/b]

• Harry Potter series

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Stephen King's - Cujo

The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Vampire Lestat

The Howling

Cycle of the Werewolf

The Lord of the Rings series

• Brohoof 2

Sōten ni zase...Hyōrinmaru!

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. I reread them a lot. I'm trying to get into ASOIF but it's such a demanding commitment -.-

I also enjoy Haruki Murakami's 1Q84, some Neil Gaiman, Anne Rice and Stephen King books. 

Edited by MidnightBloom
  • Brohoof 5

✲゚。✧٩(・ิᴗ・ิ✲゚。✧

Oh gosh, all I'm doing these days are reading books on books on books.

☆ Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are probably my favorite books ever! They're so well rounded and perfect, and Alice is my spirit human.

☆ I really enjoyed the Dangerous Angels series by Francesca Lia Block. It's super flowery and prose-y - I highly recommend it if you're looking for magical realism with lots of pretty words and vocab!

☆ The Little Prince is what drove me through high school - really great message that I still hold today (it's doubly great for the 'no one understands me!' teenager within you).

☆ And, of course, I love the Harry Potter series. I also tend to associate the Series of Unfortunate Events with it! Both very very wonderful reads.

☆ And, I know this isn't what you asked (and I really don't want to derail this into a 'I don't really read books... I read manga though!' thread) but I feel as if its worth mentioning because I've read the series so many times at this point: Centaur no Nayami is a masterpiece and should be celebrated.

Besides all of this, I'm reading a bunch of linguistics textbooks/theories and young adult fantasy novels atm! ... which are kind of polar opposites but that's alright

Edited by Boo
  • Brohoof 2

Oh gosh, all I'm doing these days are reading books on books on books.

☆ Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are probably my favorite books ever! They're so well rounded and perfect, and Alice is my spirit human.

☆ I really enjoyed the Dangerous Angels series by Francesca Lia Block. It's super flowery and prose-y - I highly recommend it if you're looking for magical realism with lots of pretty words and vocab!

☆ The Little Prince is what drove me through high school - really great message that I still hold today (it's doubly great for the 'no one understands me!' teenager within you).

☆ And, of course, I love the Harry Potter series. I also tend to associate the Series of Unfortunate Events with it! Both very very wonderful reads.

☆ And, I know this isn't what you asked (and I really don't want to derail this into a 'I don't really read books... I read manga though!' thread) but I feel as if its worth mentioning because I've read the series so many times at this point: Centaur no Nayami is a masterpiece and should be celebrated.

Besides all of this, I'm reading a bunch of linguistics textbooks/theories and young adult fantasy novels atm! ... which are kind of polar opposites but that's alright

The Little Prince was a corner-stone in my life too, now that I'm thinking about it that book was probably the one that brought me into reading :lol:

• Brohoof 1

1567147001_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Credit for the Signature: Self made

Credit for the Profile Page BG: ereb-tauramandil [/b]