Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of "Closet Bronies"?

Zach TheDane

Unfortunately, I know exactly what you're talking about.  The few people in my school who actually knew what the show was thought it was the most bizarre thing ever that I was a brony.  thankfully, others didn't care at all, but i'm not naive enough to believe that everybody just dropped the subject.  If you've been on the internet enough to know what a brony is, you've seen the hate first hand. I had to laugh a little bit when I heard that the only person in school who was a brony was the brother of one of my teachers...he's a soldier.  So yeah, being a closet brony has its advantages, but I just don't care enough to try to keep it a secret.  I wear my Doctor Whooves T-shirt, I carry my Rainbow Dash wallet, but it's still true that people can be jerks!  Just remember; keep calm, and brony on.  ^_^

I would probably be alright wearing a MLP meme shirt around my closest friends, but it would have to be a meme or they'd start with the nonsense.

Personally, I'll probably be keeping it a secret until I meet a group of IRL bronies who aren't 'ponyfags'. I'd then probably just be a 'casual brony' - we'd watch the show but we probably wouldn't have discussions or watch a season together cuddling Dashie Plushies.

My general stance for now is 'Don't need the grief, play it safe for now ' :)

Edited by Darke Pony

Why do bronies tell closet bronies to come out of the closet when they have no idea where said closet brony lives? It's pretty obvious they would most likely get ridiculed for their like in the show especially if said location doesn't have a very strong brony community there. Once again it really depends on the location.

• Brohoof 2

Why do bronies tell closet bronies to come out of the closet when they have no idea where said closet brony lives? It's pretty obvious they would most likely get ridiculed for their like in the show especially if said location doesn't have a very strong brony community there. Once again it really depends on the location.

I suppose this is pretty much the TL;DR to my longer post, circumstances can heavily affect the likelihood of negativity upon becoming open.

I personally can understand why someone would hold it secret if the people they know are judgmental. 

Now, my opinion on "closet bronies" becoming open bronies, it seams they take it too seriously. If your going to tell someone, I would just say I think the show is good and the fandom is legit. Too often on youtube or in writing I hear about bronies taking it like it changes everything or it is like a cult.

Also, the term "closet brony" makes it sound kind of like you know what, but I don't mind much.

Now, my opinion on "closet bronies" becoming open bronies, it seams they take it too seriously. If your going to tell someone, I would just say I think the show is good and the fandom is legit. Too often on youtube or in writing I hear about bronies taking it like it changes everything or it is like a cult.

The only thing here is that i personally see no point as to why a closet brony would feel the need to go to a random friend and be like "Hey i like watching My Little Pony Friendship is Magic".  It would be different if it were to just pop up and then said closet brony would admit he/she likes the show but otherwise i dont see a reason to be open.

I'm also pretty new to the fandom. But I'm not ashamed of being a Brony, but that doesn't mean I will go and shout it out for all the world to hear. My community is fairly small and has little to no Bronies that I know of (Save perhaps tourists that are here for maybe a day or two) so I feel that no-on would particularly 'like' the fact that I am a Brony, which I honestly couldn't give a buck about. It's just that feel that by telling people who aren't in my own close group of friends that it may spread and that may lead to some serious bullying.

As I said if I'm asked about it or it comes up in conversation then I will not deny liking MLP: FiM. But until then I think I will just keep it to myself, I haven't even told my parents about my love for this fantastic show. I just don't think they will understand and may even level some accusations at me about being immature or that it is creepy to watch a show intended for little girls.

I am a closet Brony, and I have to admit, I envy Everypony with the bravery to tell everyone about their love of the show without fear of reproach or being judged.

• Brohoof 1

As a girl, I get a lot less hate about liking MLP. For some people though, it's not that easy. There's a huge stereotype about us bronies that anyone who's heard of us (and isn't one of us) is familiar with: we are losers, we have no friends, we spend all our time on the internet or playing videogames, any guy who likes the show is secretly gay...the list goes on forever. :'(

Basically, despite loving MLP, some people have a reputation to uphold if they are in a group where being a brony is not familiar or not tolerated (however sad that may be, it does happen). Closet bronies most definitely ARE bronies because **they like the show**. Not because they make pony art, read/write fanfics, or have extensive collections of pony merch. Bronies originate from enjoying the show and that is that, no ifs ands or buts.

So I will say this: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A CLOSET BRONY AND THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU ANY LESS OF A BRONY IN MY EYES. I agree, it's not super healthy to hold in a secret, but I respect peoples decisions about keeping something like this hidden.

(On a slight side note:)

I just hear a lot of people bashing closet bronies because they aren't "open" enough to endorse the show.

Are we commercializing the show now? Us bronies have to "endorse" it to be legit bronies? What kind of nonsense is that?

*gets off soapbox* ok, I'm done now :)

• Brohoof 1

I'll be mean spirited here for a second, so excuse me beforehand...

I find people who use the term, "closet bronies" to describe their situation within the fandom to be rather melodramatic. I'm not saying people don't have their problems regarding this topic, but comparing themselves to people who have to experience larger plights in life? the term is almost insulting really.

[quote name="LittleSis" post="1067124" timestamp="1357713702"

Are we commercializing the show now? Us bronies have to "endorse" it to be legit bronies? What kind of nonsense is that?

*gets off soapbox* ok, I'm done now :)

Haha, I agree! By "endorse" I meant openly support, but you're right either way! I like Lost, but it doesn't make me less of a fan if I don't run around screaming " four eight fifteen sixteen twenty-three forty-two!" All the time.

post-11325-0-61282000-1357732829_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Meh, I don't blame them. People who are uneducated on what the show is now, won't know how awesome it is. So when people ask you what your favorite show is and you say, "Mah lil pon3y:Friendship is MAGIKZ!!11!!" You're gonna turn some heads.

The thing that sucks about being a closet bronie is  that everything gets turned into the light eventually. Someone will find out. Hey, you might even get applauded for it, but since we live in a craptasticle society you'll probably get made fun of. 

I am sort of a closet Brony. Being a closet Brony is lying about liking the show, or won't admit he likes it. A open Brony is someone who isn't afraid to admit it. So many people think that shoving it down people's throat makes you an open Brony. That is not the case at all. I have seen several closet bronies by the toys, but keep them hidden. Sure, I don't really care about people knowing (except, maybe 2 people).

What Do I think of myself? Iam awesome. I only hide it because I dont want homophobic rednecks to think Iam gay wich Iam not and beat the living crap out of me

i agree with this. being a closet brony myself. i keep it secret because i live in a small town where everyone know each other and its a vary religulous town ( so you know they are vary out spoken ) and if they find out that im a brony i would get a lot of hell about it. i don't think its a bad thing that i like it but others do and to live in a small town you kinda have to conform ( at least on the outside ) to what others think

I'm open about it, but I like to keep around open minded people who don't hard set there values and make it impossible to see the other side. If someone is a closet brony then I fully understand. I've gotten so much gruff for my decisions in my life and I perfectly understand wanting to get any more added on. Even more so depending on the areas people live in who want to join the bully mentality to avoid getting it themselves.

I guess I'm very "meh" about the entire situation myself. But I prefer to be open and enjoy discussion with a few brony friends I've made in college so far when I run into during off time.

I've mentioned the show to family and some friends online, as a "this show is really good despite what you would see as the preconceived notion" thing.

But with others, I'm not outgoing at all. I've been even advised against getting a Derpy shirt because of what attention I could get. Even MLP shirts that are more sutble that don't have ponies everywhere on it.

I almost got a Wonderbolts hoodie at the store though.

I am not very much of a "closet brony" because I have not gone out of my way to hide the fact that I am a brony. Some friends know I'm a brony but think it's really weird and think it's a child show.... 
I think that being a "closet brony" isn't a bad thing. I mean, it's that person's choice whether he wants others to know his interests. So.... I can side with the "closet bronies" because I have gotten a small amount of hate from friends. 

I mean, I'm a bit of a closet Brony, but I'm fine playing the app in front of my friends. I actually tried converting, but it didn't work.. My failure is why I'm a bit shy about being a brony. (Also the fact people would call me gay(I'm not gay))

(edited)

I actually enjoy telling people I'm a brony!  I tend not to care at all about what people think of me, so it's fun to see their reactions (and there are plenty of different reactions!)  Other than the one guy that actually became a brony because of me, everyone else has been totally creeped out.  My favorite is the guy from class who say my Rainbow Dash wallet and said "I just lost 75% of the respect I had for you."  My response?  This wallet is 20% cooler than either of us!  :P

Edited by Gevarel

they enjoy the show but fear alienation, so they hide their pony love from everyone except other bronies. they also might stay closet bronies because they want to enjoy something without judgement.  its ok to have guilty pleasures (we all have them), so i dont judge other bronies if they choose to keep quiet about their love. 

i simply cant dislike someone who isnt vocal about something that interests them. some of us like to keep a few things private and enjoy them without the fear of being judged by their peers. its perfectly normal. 

• Brohoof 1

I keep it to myself tbh except on the internet where i feel it's ok to be open with it. I have a few RL friends who i play with on steam who have seen my avatar and have access to my youtube link there and they either haven't investigated or don't care to ask. My wife's ok with my being a fan and a brony musician but isn't herself. I have one pon-3 t-shirt but haven't really worn it too much tbh. That and it shrunk a LOT.

I'd rather be a closet brony if that's what it's called rather than the guys who dress up as pinkie pie at conventions. I'm enthusiastic about the show but i also consider how to act in public. I must say it's REALLY hard not to use the term brohoof with non-bronies.

They need to quit hiding from the boogeyman and notice that there's nothing to be afraid of. 

Ok that sounded a bit mean, let me rephrase that.

You're just a person that likes a television show. Nothing to be shy about. c:

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I can understand why people would feel the need to hide the fact that they watch a show that is, "girly". Obviously, peers would tease them for it and call them derogatory names just for watching a television show. Some bronies are insecure about themselves and don't want to be publicly embarrassed. It makes perfect sense for them to put this skeleton in their closet.

Myself, I don't care people's opinion of me, and almost everyone I know, knows that I'm a brony. But for the people that hide it, they have every right to do so. Society is cruel. Earth is a dark place. I do wish that closet bronies do go to brony websites, such as this for comfort. I hope they know that fellow closet, and open bronies can show them that not everybody in this world is heartless.

I believe being a "closet brony" is completely understandable. People can give other people really tough and bad times at school if something like that was said. And sometimes actually physical.

I really could care less if someone found out I like the show and start judging me for it. Someone that does that I wouldn't really like to be affiliated with anyway.

The thought that just because you don't tell other people you like the show doesn't mean you're a brony is ridiculous though. 

• 1 month later...

My brother is obsessed with the notion that all bronies are cloppers. He also happens to be a person who will punch you in the face if you disagree with him. I'm kinda stuck...

At first when I started liking the show I did not feel comfortable about liking it but over time I was like buck this. For me I just did not know how others would react to me liking this type of show. But that was then and this is now and as of now I could honestly careless what others think.