Star Wars
Star Trek
Doctor Who
Buffy
supernatural

Book
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Sherlock Holmes (see conan in anime)James Bond (it start as book so yah)Eragon Books
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comic
Marvel Comic
DC comic
300 (it is comic)
The Walking Dead

and Anime (but there anime that can be call BiG fandom)
Dragon ball
Pokemon
Naruto
One Piece
Eije Matsumoto
Gundams
Conan
Hetalia
Touhou
Vocaloid
Sailor moon
madoka
CLAMP
Yu-Gi-Oh

Games:-
final fantasy
Kingdom hearts
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mario
Megaman
Street Fighters
King of fighters
Warcraft
Warhammer
Minecraft

Cartoon
MLP
Disney
Transformers
thundercats

Web Videos
abridged series
AVGN
that guy with the glasses . com

so these is the questions
1. did i miss any big fandom out there (don't say twilight)
2. did any fandom i put must not be in the list
3. what make a fandom big, there lots of good TV show and movies but there not mach of fanfic and other things what make these things good for fanfic and others fanmade things .
4. say what in you mind

Edited by almozayaf

Sonic the Hedgehog fandom is actually quite large. Not only have they been around for a very long time but there's hundreds of Sonic fan-comics and millions upon millions of accumulated fanart, flash movies/games, fangames in general, and in some cases you can see the Sonic influence in other peoples' non-Sonic art. Between the comics, shows and games people have been making fun of as well as praising Sonic in so many different ways it's hard not to find a crossover between Sonic and every other major series. Hell, there's even MLP x Sonic fanworks all over the place usually comparing Rainbow with Sonic himself in speed. (Saw a pretty funny video a couple weeks ago where they raced and pretty much nuked all their friends trying to beat each other lol)

Also, why NOT Twilight? It has a GIGANTIC fanbase that has gone so far as to cut themselves for "Edward" (Robert Patterson) to drink their blood. Crazy fans or not they are still quite large.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Warcraft/Warhammer

I would say those two are way bigger and well known than LOTR.

Touhou

It has a pretty big fanbase despite the game being unavailable outside japan and the creator still refuses to sell it outside japan

• Brohoof 2

you've missed out the comicbook and Fighting game fandom, there both pretty large and both have a large grasp over the medias 

I'm not the creator of the topic here so I can't say for him but I feel like a genre or subgenre fandom is a little too ambiguous in most cases as it could incorporate so many different types. There are the technical types who only play Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter then there's the ones like me who play more for flash like in BlazBlue and Guilty Gear (Although to be fair both are still really technical) and the two can often be straight up opposites.

On the other hand that could be true of any major fandom. Even within the Sonic fanbase you have your comic fans, game fans and cartoon fans and even within the games fans there's fans of new games and fans of old games and a mix of the two.

So I guess Sonic would be just as ambiguous. I retract what I said. :P

You could probably call Call of Duty a fandom. There are certainly people who dedicate their lives to it.  <_<

Same could probably be said of Minecraft. You see Minecraft apparel in Hot Topic just as much as you see MLP apparel. And I can attest to its addictiveness and fanbase, seeing as how two Xbox Live Clans I was in dissolved because members discovered Minecraft.

Personally, I'm a member of the Harry Potter fandom, and Pokemon, Star Trek, and Star Wars, although I'm not active in any of them at all anymore, since I discovered that MLP is best fandom.

You could probably call Call of Duty a fandom. There are certainly people who dedicate their lives to it.  <_<

Same could probably be said of Minecraft. You see Minecraft apparel in Hot Topic just as much as you see MLP apparel. And I can attest to its addictiveness and fanbase, seeing as how two Xbox Live Clans I was in dissolved because members discovered Minecraft.

Personally, I'm a member of the Harry Potter fandom, and Pokemon, Star Trek, and Star Wars, although I'm not active in any of them at all anymore, since I discovered that MLP is best fandom.

Wait wait wait waitwaitwait....Hot Topic has MLP apparel? Do they have any in male sizes? Any accessories? I haven't been to Hot Topic in forever.

Two of the biggest one's: Homestuck and Hetalia.

Those fandom's are ridiculously huge.

There's so many people out there who cosplay it whatnot. Hell, when I went to my area's convention, all I saw were MLP cosplayers, Homestuck trolls, and Hetalia nations.

Warcraft/Warhammer

I would say those two are way bigger and well known than LOTR.

Touhou

It has a pretty big fanbase despite the game being unavailable outside japan and the creator still refuses to sell it outside japan

Yeah Touhou is a very large fanbase. Vewry far reaching into fan music and art.

http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3774&hilit=touhou

How many of you guys are aware of Wizard Rock (fan music about Harry Potter)?

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/rym_ultimate_box_set__wizard_rock__wrock_

Kind of a pre-Brony music (focusing on one series) but it was much more about bands, playing live (from libraries and bookstores quite often), and non-electronic music. But it didn't take full advantage of the internet nor have the far reaching ability that we currently have. We seem much more organized in comparison.

Star Trek of course is the fanbase that refuses to die out as it's always had a huge fanbase pre-internet and pretty much created the standard fan convention model. No idea if they ever made a LOTof fan music but i thought i heard something about that although i'm sure it's pretty nichey. I think those things also were as an umbrella effect where smaller fanbases also play a role in being present at those things.

Edited by Freewave

Hunger Games? They have loads of cosplayers (how many people went out as Katniss for Halloween this year?), music, parodies, fanfics (mostly of the self-insert variety) and very devoted fan members. 

Also, a lot of massive Marvel/DC comic book fanbases. Batman and the Avengers are big ones, as well as X-Men. 

Aside from MLP, I'm also a member of the Disney and Adventure Time fandoms. Although I wouldn't call Adventure Time the "biggest" fandom, it sure has a lot of creative content, and is one of the bigger currently airing cartoon fandoms (maybe second or third place with MLP on top). The Disney fandom in general (mostly the animated movies) is massive, and seems to have a huge presence everywhere, among all ages and demographics (although mostly female).

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 1

When Enterprise went off the air in 2005, that was the first time since 1987 that there was no currently airing Star Trek series on TV. Star Trek's fandom is as big as ever, but it quieted down a bit after the cancellation of Enterprise. Abrams movie and the upcoming sequel has given them something new to talk about but has also been a bit divisive.

At any rate, the fandom has mostly been a force for good, and has had a hand in a few culturally and historically significant events. Star Trek, the original series and the franchise as a whole, remains both timely and timeless. Accordingly, it's garnered a massive following around the world and continues to grab teens and kids today. Not only is the Trekkie fanbase among the largest, but it's likely to be among the most enduring, along with the Bronies. The overlap between Trekkies and Bronies will help with that too.

Star Trek of course is the fanbase that refuses to die out as it's always had a huge fanbase pre-internet and pretty much created the standard fan convention model. No idea if they ever made a LOTof fan music but i thought i heard something about that although i'm sure it's pretty nichey.

The Star Trek fanbase hasn't made much original music that I'm aware of, but several groups of fans have made low-budget Star Trek series and movies of their own available for download and/or on DVD. Starship Farragut is the first one that comes to mind. Some of these fan projects have even had actors from the canon shows make cameo appearances.

Here's an interesting tidbit of lore. The bridge set from The Original Series was destroyed after the show ended, as is often done. In season 4 of The Next Generation they would need to revisit that bridge. They borrowed an exact replica of the captain's chair and helm station from a fan who built them for use at conventions to save the set designers some money and effort.

It sounds like you're focusing on fandoms around fantasy/sci-fi franchises. Break that connection, and you can include Furries, and nearly all soap operas, plus band fans, like Deadheads and Metalheads.

Keeping to your theme, in olden days Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon used to have relatively big fandoms. If you go beyond America, then Perry Rhodan was a huge fandom in Germany in the same time-frame.

Of course you might not count them; as they didn't have the advantage of the Internet and other relatively cheap communication/travel to allow the fans to work together the way they can now. 

Sailor moon is a pretty big fandom. It's a really old fandom too with lots of dedicated fans. There have been five seasons surrounding it along with a live action series and almost ten years of musicals.

Vocaloid PLZ

gotta love Miku and the others *plays some vocaloid on her spotify*

Disney has already been mentioned

Pokemon should be in of course, you cannot resist an innocent Pikachu when you see it

The Eragon Books series also got a pretty ,large fandom, alongside with gerneral dragon fantasy series

not sure if it counts as a fandom, but there is a lot off people (includin me) into BJDS - balljointed dolls

Avatar last aribender and legend of korra also are pretty big

Game-wise, nothing goes without final fantasy and its spinoffs (dissidia, Kingdom hearts)

Ever since madoka popped up last year, it#s fanbase has grown enourmously, giving a new hype to magical girl fandom in general

I also know of a really big thundercats fanbase, who are still getting together hopign the 2011 reboot will return for a second season

Concerning Anime/manga, we would definately have to include anything CLAMP

Ever since The Walking Dead was developed into a tv show, it's had a pretty big fandom. Thousands of people attended their panel event at Comic Con 2012.

I'd also like to say that even though Yu-Gi-Oh is now having a declining popularity, it's fandom is awesome. LittleKuriboh made the best abridged series ever!

Do people still remember Megatokyo? I still remember when people still talked about that, back in 03/04. I would also have to say Penny Arcade to a certain degree, that's been quite a launching point for a lot of other stuff.

Also Touhou:

sample_e0fabad732b3351d85b5dc04ad734bb5f

(edited)

I'm not the creator of the topic here so I can't say for him but I feel like a genre or subgenre fandom is a little too ambiguous in most cases as it could incorporate so many different types

thanks will comicbook is not the kind of fandom i talk about but marvel comic or batman will work

not sure if it counts as a fandom, but there is a lot off people (includin me) into BJDS - balljointed dolls

i google it and i get nightmears

just so if i was not clear in my first post

these topic about fandom base on a TV show, movie anime or any other kind of media not ganra like Action fandom or horror fandom

so far ill add these to the first list to see what what the members think of big fandom there

final fantasy

Kingdom hearts

Sonic the Hedgehog

Mario

Megaman

Street Fighters

KOF

Warcraft

Warhammer

Minecraft

Comic

Marvel Comic

DC comic

Anime:

Hetalia

Touhou

Vocaloid

Sailor moon

madoka

CLAMP

Yu-Gi-Oh

others :-

Disney

Transformers

Buffy

supernatural

Eragon Books

thundercats

The Walking Dead

abridged series

Edited by almozayaf

^^

You're forgetting Star Trek again. Likely one of the biggest and oldest.

I'm going to drop off my track which has John Delancie's interview (he was Q on Next Gen show and of course Discord on MLP) about our growing fanbase (before he did his bronycon documentary). He really delves into what makes our fanbase tick i think and from a viewpoint of being familiar with both Trek and MLP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3-h1V7mY0

I'll add Mystery Science Theater 3000 as that had a cult following where a lot of the fans taped all the eps, traded them on vhs before broadband, and then later digitized them and started a whole torrent system.

Edited by Freewave

• 6 months later...

I love Harry Potter! If I wasn't a fan on MLP, I would be going crazy about Harry Potter right now, probably. (I always think, what the heck would I be doing if I'd never have found MLP?)

I've always loved the books and films and I adore some of the characters.

My top fandom is still MLP thoug, I will never leave it!

I'll try to think of more fandoms that stand out in my mind

TV Show
Star Wars
Star Trek
Doctor Who
Buffy
supernatural

Yeah, I don't know if there's anymore I can add, though I do know shows like CSI and Bones were pretty big

Also I'd say Starwars fits the movie category better

Book
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Sherlock Holmes (see conan in anime)James Bond (it start as book so yah)Eragon Books

I don't get how you can forget Twilight. Regardless of this most people's opinion's on the series, it's hard to deny that it has a massive fanbase

There's also Tom Clancy fans, but I'm willing to bet that it's mostly towards the games than the books

Comic
Marvel Comic
DC comic
300 (it is comic)
The Walking Dead
Spawn is also a really iconic superhero, I'd reckon that that series also has a huge fandom

and Anime (but there anime that can be call BiG fandom)

Dragon ball
Pokemon
Naruto
One Piece
Eije Matsumoto
Gundams
Conan
Hetalia
Touhou
Vocaloid
Sailor moon
madoka
CLAMP
Yu-Gi-Oh

Ouran High School Host Club, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, Digimon, Lucky Star and just about every major Yaoi anime has its fair share of obsessive fans as well

final fantasy
Kingdom hearts
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mario
Megaman
Street Fighters
King of fighters
Warcraft
Warhammer
Minecraft

Just about every major Nintendo franchise has a sizable fanbase, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox, you name it.

Also CoD, Grand Theft Auto, Battlefield, Gears of War, and Halo's fandoms are enormous. And like Nintendo, just about major Valve franchise has a massive fanbase

Also after the Attorney Investigations 2 debacle, The Phoenix Wright franchise definitely has a loyal fandom

Cartoon
MLP
Disney
Transformers
thundercats

Danny Phantom? Invader Zim? Those show probably are probably some of Nick's bigger fandoms along with Avatar's. Definitely the loudest too

Futurama, Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill, etc. the animated sitcoms on Fox have dedicted fandoms as well

There's probably more, but those are the ones that I can currently think of

Edited by Godot

• 1 year later...

I'd include Homestuck. It's waned a bit since the Gigapause started over a year ago, but it's still a well-known and more-or-less active fandom.