Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Biggest waste of time you've ever put a lot of work into?

That Guy with the CMB

The technical algebra class I had during the freshman year of my college.

I struggled with math since seventh grade, I suck at it, pure and freaking simple. Never able to do better. However in college, I was hell-bent determined to become a software developer and I studied left and right, took me hours upon hours to do the algebra assignments, I took online tutors and solved equations from the patterns I observed in the examples. At the end of the semester I accumulated a B+ grade, but I failed the finals by one point and thus failed the class overall.

A damn waste of my time, thankfully my idiotic stubbornness kept me from dropping out.

• 4 years later...

Basically every video game I've ever played - I put countless hours into multiple video games, yet there really isn't anything I'm gaining out of it besides entertainment.

• Brohoof 1

Probably trying to get my clocks to synchronize their seconds hands. I spent two years, and I never managed to succeed. No matter what idea I had, it was always a lot of hard work, and no result, or worse.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on what you call a waste of time. Maybe everything I do. Maybe the hours I put into meaningless achievements in video games. Maybe all the paperwork and money I spent on something that ended up getting cancelled. 

• Brohoof 1

I honestly can't think of anything. Everything I put a ton of work into never goes to waste. If I'm gonna put a lot of time, effort, and money into something, it's going to come out a success, I make sure of that. 

(edited)

My cheating ex-girlfriend :ButtercupLaugh: One and a half years wasted. Seriously though, she didn't even attempt to save our relationship. That says a lot about her, but I wonder what it says about me, too.

Edited by Booker

Most of the college courses. I have to crawl on my belly for almost every classes just to pass And most of the time, the work didn't get pay off at the end. 

15 years of gaming. Now I live my life rather than simulate it. So much time I could have spent with my dad leaning how to do real things. But nope. I may have been a god at halo but that doesnt amount to much in the real world. 

3 hours ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

School.

Specifically Secondary school. Five years of my life that I won't get back. Not to mention the years it took for me to get over the trauma of that place and to trust people again. :unamused:

“ school prepare you for adult life”
Pfft, I feel like I’ve wasted a quarter of life learning in school in which I only use 0.1% on what I’ve learned irl. 

• Brohoof 1

for my english class I had to write a short story about 1500 words long

I was pretty proud of it until I handed it to my teacher for feedback to which she said "scrap it and start over"

in the end tho her harsh feedback paid off, since my final piece scored 20/20

• Brohoof 1

A few months ago we had a "week of history" celebration or something in my school. There was a competition of artworks about any war in my country's history, you could submit any artwork including digital painting and 3D. My history teacher specifically mentioned that we could submit digital artwork too and suggested me to do it. So I decided to make 3D render of a scene from WW2. I spent 3 days on making/searching for models, settings up render for realistic picture. Eventually I ended with acceptable render (I screwed up proportions and objects looked like toys, but I didn't have time to fix it), I showed the render to my teacher and her reaction was "Well, and? Is that all? Just a picture? You know I can't show it to jury, because I know that you made it by yourself, but they won't believe it, anyone can download such picture from the internet. Maybe try to make an animation or something". And she clearly didn't know that one frame took me 2 hours to render. I don't say that she's a bad person, she just didn't realize how hard and time consuming 3D is, when she suggested me to make an artwork in first place.

I wasn't frustrated or something, I just accepted forgot about it

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Going to school was the biggest waste of time for me. I forgot at least 95% of it and I'm not even kidding. It's great to learn to write and the rules of my native language. The basics of math, it was my favorite subject. English was just about the basics, I had to teach it myself after leaving the school. Thank Celestia Internet is a thing, I would be screwed otherwise. I'm not saying schools are a bad thing. Just my experience wasn't that great. Religion lessons for example, most of the time we would just paint images and we could do what we wanted. And I have received excellent grades for it. :sealed: If I would combine all the school hours, I guess that only 2 years had a purpose in the long run.

• Brohoof 1

My degree in engineering. 5.5 years and I'm earning nowhere near what people earn as engineers. On the other hand I could be an engineer with 6 years under my belt, feeling accomplished about myself.

Should've just gone for what I want to do now, but things were not favorable then for this anyways, and I considered myself "better" than a blue-collar job so I went with the career of more.... aptitude. I shouldn't have.

In a way I'd be more satisfied in life if I wasn't as smart or thought myself as such. I'm above average IMO but I wasnt' meant for that.

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

My entire time in school was spent wasting my time with people I was not fond of, and doing what I was told by the state. What an absolute waste of nearly 15 years. Sitting down and doing what you are told - you are wasting your life in doing so.

Oh and I literally spent probably about a month (I forget how long) re-vamping an airport for my flight simulator, going pretty hardcore with it for the flightsim community to use since no free addon existed for it, only for somebody to do an even better version of it (out of the park) about a couple of years later :wacko: .

Now I'm using it :nom: . Mine is real bad with frame rates.

Recently, my biggest waste of time has been writing things for publication which are not published :( 

On other hoof, from their ashes I am creating a new publication >:3 muahaha. So maybe they won't be wasted. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest fiasco I’ve ever wasted life on is my brother’s theater. He bought it six years ago and it had so much potential that I committed myself to helping to get it fixed up and open to the public. But here we are, six years later, still trying to keep up with all the repairs and maintenance, not to mention all the curve balls that rotten place keeps sending our way. It should have opened for business a year or so after buying it, but it still shows no sign of doing so anytime soon. I was very enthusiastic about it when we first got the place, but now it’s just a curse I can’t get away from. I’m convinced it’s taken years off my life just struggling with that place. I’ve begged my brother to sell it but he won’t, so the fiasco goes on.

I would say a decent part of school...mostly because I usually did a lot of sitting doing nothing as either; A. The assignments were easy and boring or B I had enough credits to graduate early but the administrations denied it because...they wanted me to graduate with my class and "enjoy it". So for the last few years it was go to one class, go home then check back in for the last class as there were no check ins for "free hours".

There was a voice project I submitted work for, got critique on, and everything but I haven't heard any news about new chapter releases in forever. The sad thing about huge projects is if everyone isn't fully committed, it's likely to be forgotten about.

• Brohoof 1