Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So ponies are omnivores now? (Minor gag spoilers)

Jammo

Seeing how there was a gravy boat and it wasn't the cream-coloured kind like mushroom gravy, and while I know there is synthetic beef-flavored gravy for vegans, I think that's a huge stretch given the level of technology combined with their mostly all-natural way of life. (They would also have to like the taste of gravy to synthesize it, which a vegetarian species likely wouldn't)

This was a small detail I think a lot of fans will discuss and debate because prior to this, ponies were seen as strictly vegetarian (cakes and candy notwithstanding). Fanon kind of makes meat-eating ponies this sort of taboo and I'm curious what a simple gravy boat can do to change people's views.

Edited by Jammo

I think if it wasn't colored that way, no one would know if it was gravy.

I believe ponies already eat eggs (From Sisterhooves Social?). So this really isn't too valid.

Edited by Firebolt

Ever hear of pepper gravy(it's pretty much flower and seasoning)? Not all gravy is meat flavored, the color was just so it would look like stereotypical gravy. 

Also, I'm pretty sure that's the most times I've ever used the word gravy in one post. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 13

We already know they eat eggs. And I remember in the Babs Seed episode we saw Rarities dad fishing, so they probably eat fish too. As for the gravy, probably some kind of synthetic... does anyone else find it hillarious that Tabitha St Germain voiced the gravy boat?

• Brohoof 1

Seeing how there was a gravy boat and it wasn't the cream-coloured kind like mushroom gravy, and while I know there is synthetic beef-flavored gravy for vegans, I think that's a huge stretch given the level of technology combined with their mostly all-natural way of life. (They would also have to like the taste of gravy to synthesize it, which a vegetarian species likely wouldn't)

This was a small detail I think a lot of fans will discuss and debate because prior to this, ponies were seen as strictly vegetarian (cakes and candy notwithstanding). Fanon kind of makes meat-eating ponies this sort of taboo and I'm curious what a simple gravy boat can do to change people's views.

Gravy in Equestria probably just has a different, vegetarian recipe.  After all, Equestria is a whole other universe, having some new type of food that can make gravy isn't to much of a stretch.

Well, we know they definetly aren't cannibals.

They are definetly avoiding anything that has to do with meat, but it's fairly obvious they're gonna need to have SOME form of protein that isn't tofu. Gravy boat? Big whoop, they have chickens in their world, they eat them, chicken + gravy = deliciousness, so, really, there's nothing to be concerned about. Our ponies are still as adorable as they have always been :3

You can make vegetarian brown gravy if you wish. Just don't use bleached flour and *shudder* creme. The primary ingredients are fermented soyabeans, and black treacle (or molasses depending on your location), with onions and mushrooms added in as needed.

Pretty sure the gravy was just colored that way to show that it was gravy. There is plenty of gravy's that don't contain meat.

So I don't think the ponies have strayed from vegeterians.

• Brohoof 2

Question: If they don't eat meat, then why do they own pigs? I don't know any other use for pigs other than a food source.

Waste desposal and land clearing. Pigs are excellent for reducing a plot of land to bare soil, as they eat everything down to and including the roots. They're better than goats, because most goats won't dig after the roots quite so enthusastically. I know a few people who rent out pigs for this.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm...

Didn't Pinkie Pie say something about ponies being completely vegetarian?

I'm pretty sure she said/sang something about it somewhere, but I can't for the life of me recall...

They use eggs for baking sweets.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGUUt6dIa0

And the ham sandwich seen near Applejack in A Bird In The Hoof:

post-1-0-23641200-1317950844_thumb.jpg

We should also take into account that the world our favorite pones live in has animals that are definitely set up to be carnivorous.  Some wild, some with human intelligence.

Gildaposeid.png

Green_dragon_s1e24.png

640px-The_timberwolves_and_Spike_S3E9.pn

PONIES-GONNA-DIE.jpg

It'd be no surprise to me if during interactions with these other cultures, meat was introduced to the equine populace.

• Brohoof 3

Frankly I've been convinced for a long time now that the Equestrian ponies are omnivorous. They may be called ponies, but for a number of various reasons, they're not biologically similar to real life ponies at all. Even their heads are shaped differently. That's not just an art style artifact; that's how their heads are actually shaped, which is proven by the sight of actual horses in the show.

post-1234-0-74303500-1358724400_thumb.png

Yes, these are mice transformed into horses, but that's irrelevant because what matters is the head shape, not the teeth.

Additionally, real life ponies are incapable of vomiting, whereas Equestrian ponies are. Real life ponies can't hardly stomach most of the things we see Equestrian ponies eating on a regular basis, including cupcakes, sandwiches and so much more.

So they're probably omnivorous. My guess is they would still eat less meat than a human might, and they'd probably limit themselves to poultry, pork, and fish, but they'd still eat some meat. It just makes sense with everything we've seen.

As far as I'm concerned, the gravy is just that: gravy on top of something already proven.

• Brohoof 2

Frankly I've been convinced for a long time now that the Equestrian ponies are omnivorous. They may be called ponies, but for a number of various reasons, they're not biologically similar to real life ponies at all. Even their heads are shaped differently. That's not just an art style artifact; that's how their heads are actually shaped, which is proven by the sight of actual horses in the show.

attachicon.gifvlcsnap-2012-10-14-06h02m23s71.png

Yes, these are mice transformed into horses, but that's irrelevant because what matters is the head shape, not the teeth.

Additionally, real life ponies are incapable of vomiting, whereas Equestrian ponies are. Real life ponies can't hardly stomach most of the things we see Equestrian ponies eating on a regular basis, including cupcakes, sandwiches and so much more.

So they're probably omnivorous. My guess is they would still eat less meat than a human might, and they'd probably limit themselves to poultry, pork, and fish, but they'd still eat some meat. It just makes sense with everything we've seen.

As far as I'm concerned, the gravy is just that: gravy on top of something already proven.

I concur. Additionally I would like to add that some horses actually eat meat, they can't digest it well, but they can eat it. So saying that these "ponies" can eat meat and digest it is no more of a change then making them sentient.

I doubt they eat alot of pork or chicken but they probaby eat them at times. I seriously doubt they eat any beef though. As for fish and animal byproducts such as eggs or milk, I would guess that ponies eat them somewhat often. Fish moreso on the coast than that of the inlands.

• Brohoof 1

There's this thing going on here about the eating of fish at the moment. It has been suggested that fish are only caught to feed certain types of animals of livestock in care of another pony.

Just because an omnivore specie eats plants and animals does not mean that all animals in that species must eat both flesh and plants. Nor does it mean that an omnivore must eat equal parts of animals and plants. Humans can live off animals only or plants only, but excluding either does not necessarily mean a healthier life, regardless of the claims of vegetarians. In spite of our omnivorous nature, human diets lean more toward plants than meat. Our long digestive tract resembles that of vegetarians more than carnivores, and the knowledge of early humans shows a more agricultural, plant eating dietary tendency than it does hunting and eating animals. Most herbivores require the aid of bacteria to digest cellulose and as a result, they evolved a caecum in the gut that houses bacteria that acts like a fermentation chamber. Some think that the human appendix "devolved" from a larger caecum from our ancient vegetarian ancestors.

• Brohoof 1

There's this thing going on here about the eating of fish at the moment. It has been suggested that fish are only caught to feed certain types of animals of livestock in care of another pony.

There was one scene where Fluttershy feeds fish to some of her animals.

Other than that, in Equestria, my guess is that fishing is a purely recreational activity, and they just catch and release.

The ham sandwich in season 1 wasn't necessarily ham. Could be a slice of ginger or something. Though I'm sure it was just an artist absent-mindedly drawing a ham sandwich because it's the most common image one thinks of when they think of a sandwich. Still, there's plausible deniability on the ham.

We don't know what recipe the ponies use to make gravy, so it could be anything really.

I think the only real mistake made so far is in Fall Weather Friends, when Pinkie Pie was talking about a hot dog eating contest. Of course, we haven't gotten confirmation on what ponies define as a hot dog. You could say it's a veggie dog, but humans only invented those as an attempt to simulate the original meat product, so there wouldn't be any reason for ponies to come up with the same idea.

• Brohoof 1

We can assume that griffins eat meat and therefore even if you assume the gravy is meat flavored, it's quite possible that the ponies could have learned about gravy from them and created a vegetarian version of it. They may not have advanced technology, but they do have magic, so really anything is possible.