Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What defines a Brony?

Agent505

I think if you watch the show and enjoy it (and your not a child below 10) then your defiantly a brony. The reason is because being above the 'expected age' yet still watching a show about 6 ponies running around solving problems is part of being a brony, it's just someponies take it further and make fan art and all that stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't be a brony because you don't do that yourself. Watching and enjoying the show is enough to make you one of us :D (Sorry if this confused you, it was very hard for me to write my opinion clearly)

You can be a fan and not a Brony at the same time.

Brony is really just labeling yourself to a group for people to identify you as. If you don't want to label yourself as a Brony but still be a fan, it's okay.

well the other term that i thought might come close was Otaku.

Are all anime fans otaku?  As for "wether your a brony or not" it's cute to say, you don't have to call yourself one but,

if you open you closet door and more than 5-6 MLP plushies come pooring out you might be a brony......

Oh my you migh be a brony if jokes, those exist arleady or did i spawn some fresh new hell?

well the other term that i thought might come close was Otaku.

Are all anime fans otaku? As for "wether your a brony or not" it's cute to say, you don't have to call yourself one but,

if you open you closet door and more than 5-6 MLP plushies come pooring out you might be a brony......

Oh my you migh be a brony if jokes, those exist arleady or did i spawn some fresh new hell?

Like I said before; it's up to you to label yourself as a brony or not. Even if you come out of the closet andbuy pony plushies you can still call yourself a fan instead of a brony.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. I wouldn't say liking the show is enough to immediately qualify you as a Brony, unless you want to be called such.

I'm my head it's a self identity thing, you're not one until you think you are. But if I had to give a checklist of some sort it would be;

Watching the show (obviously)

Enjoying the artwork (or videos), not just due to its artistry but also because of the subject matter.

Self identifying as a Brony or Pegasister (if you wish to be called that).

That's it, anything after that such as creating artwork, making videos, writing fanfic makes you a content creator as well as a Brony. Owning a toy be it licensed or unofficial is irrelevant.

Edited by Fridge

Like I said before; it's up to you to label yourself as a brony or not. Even if you come out of the closet andbuy pony plushies you can still call yourself a fan instead of a brony.

I do not LOL buy pony plushies.  Look your answer doesn't have to be this pc.  I swear there's no moral entrapment.  Suppose I road a Harley with a bunch of bikers all through out the week, Oh sure I could say "I'm not a biker" but we both know I'd look silly doing it.

I use to make up rules to justify not being one

"Oh i won't finish a show."

"oh i'm only watching it for discord."

etc,etc,  but the more i've looked at the fan stuff the more i felt compelled to look at the main show.

For me watching a episode with out being pretencious about came when i watched Stare Master.

I feel compelled to like the C.C. because it's almost like your not suppose to.  LIke "Oh there dumb kids."

I can't explain why i thought they were so awesome.  Just thinking about it makes me smile.

Crap that's it isn't it?  thinking about the show and feeling good makes you a broney huh?  I like that answer.

• Brohoof 1

Crap that's it isn't it? thinking about the show and feeling good makes you a broney huh? I like that answer.

*ding, ding, ding*

We have a winner! Give the fella a prize! I'm afraid we're all out of cigars, so here's a plush doll of a purple unicorn. :P

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

*ding, ding, ding*

We have a winner! Give the fella a prize! I'm afraid we're all out of cigars, so here's a plush doll of a purple unicorn. :P

Dear

Princess celestial,

I learned today that people will make you learn your own lessons,

for fear you won't listen to them.

I had an idea. There should be an official Brony Rite of Passage, something that you must complete to be considered a full brony. Sort of like how some Native American tribes did "Vision Quests", after which they would be considered a full adult. Not to say that a new brony should go out into the wild for a half a week and find his destiny in a hallucinogen-fueled dream. Some ideas could be:

- Creating your first OC

- Completing the Brony Challenge (watching all episodes without stopping)

- Or maybe an obscure ritual in which the participant is stoned half to death with Pinkie Pie toys. Though that would be hard to do, because most bronies commune on the Internet.

If any of you support one of my ideas for the R.O.P., or have ideas for your own, shout it out like you have Tourette's.

OK, heres the story: I opened a topic about what are peoples favourite brony songs, so a guy replied with he doesnt really like brony music and then he messaged me saying that because he has never done anything create like art or music, he isn't a brony. I said to him that all you have to do to be a brony is like the show and watch it. He said that you cannot be a brony without doing something creative. :/ So what are your opinions? :)

I think that all you have to do is watch and like the show and be 13 or older.

Can you be a fan with out being a brony?

And if so when do you cross that point of new return?

Is it owning a doll?

Getting a MLP T shirt?

Writing a fan fiction?

Memorizing a song on the show?

Like the only other fan base I've seen that came close to this one was star treck,

and just because you watched alot episodes didn't necessarly make you a treckie.

Knowing Klingon (LOL) did.  When have you gone to far down the rabit hole?

Seeing as these are all threads that discuss what defines a Brony, they would do better as one whole thread. I've merged them as such. :)

Edited by Flipturn

This really depends on point of view. The original definition was a "male who watches the show My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic"

To me however, I believe it can be for any person, of any age, of any gender..simply due to the fact that I believe being a Brony is more then just liking the show, but being a part of the community...usually a community of animation/cartoon fans.

Thats how I see it atleast...

• 7 years later...

I am going to be bold and say:

Anyone that once were posting at this place, and still is, are a true Brony!

A Brony is a person who will always be here, and enjoy the Friendship is Magic brand. Just because the show ended a year ago shouldn't change that fact

Anyone who don't reject brony community and join it. Also who can remember mane 6 names. I've met a couple of people who were somewhat interested in ponies but failed to remember ponies names