Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Giving back to the brony community

Well I've been looking for a way to contribute to MLP. So far I've tried..

Signature/Avatar making - I'm ok at it, but most anybody can do it with enough effort.

Art - not very good at all.

Role Play - nope not good.

Fan Fiction - haven't tried, but what am I supposed to write?

Donate - sorry, but atm I am somewhat broke

I know that I could be "just a fan" however that doesn't cut it for me and most of what there is to do I can't do. The only thing I do that is even remotely helpful is maintain the CMC club thread (and that's just a simple thread). I feel useless img-1268099-1-sad.png.

Out of curiousity, what kinds of art have you tried? Maybe you would work better in a different medium, like sculpty clay, or papercrafts, or the like.

As for fan fiction, is there any aspect of MLP:FiM that you think is lacking something? An explanation for something in the show that seems to have been missed, or something that has made you wonder 'what if?'. For example, I have a fanfiction that attempts to connect Luna's batpony guards to King Sombra, due to simularities in their distinct appearances. (Unpublished at the moment for reasons that I hope to have corrected soon.)

Well there is this...

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were standing on one of the lower clouds in the sky. Scootaloo looked over the edge nervously and then looked up to Rainbow Dash for guidance.

“Go on. Just jump and then use your wings and try to fly” Rainbow Dash told Scootaloo.

“What if I fall to the ground though?” Scootaloo asked.

“Do you really think your big sis would let that happen to you?” she replied.

“I guess you’re right Dash” she said.

Scootaloo moved towards the edge and jumped off. She tried to user wings to go steady and fly, but instead ended up flailing. Rainbow Dash darted down and caught her before she even came close to hitting the ground.

“What’d I tell you?” Rainbow Dash asked with flare.

“I knew that you wouldn't let me get hurt Rainbow, but I still can’t fly like you” Scootaloo said sadly.

“We’ll change that and that’s a promise!” said Rainbow Dash.

Iron Wing helped me out with it a bit earlier. I think I'll continue working on it.

Edited by ~Scootaloo

I understand and appreciate that, but I want to do this I don't feel obligated to do it. Anyway I am really considering fan fiction as a possibility...

I would be more then happy to teach you how to draw ponies!

Anyways, you really shouldn't feel bad. If you can't do anything for the fandom, be an active member of it! I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Your not useless at all. Everyone has their certain talent that is either a gift or they mastered it over a long period of time. I will try to contribute soon with fan fictions, so your not useless at all. As long as your a fan, you contributed your part.

• Brohoof 2

Your not useless at all. Everyone has their certain talent that is either a gift or they mastered it over a long period of time. I will try to contribute soon with fan fictions, so your not useless at all. As long as your a fan, you contributed your part.

Like I said here I am going to try doing a fan fiction where Rainbow Dash teaches Scootaloo to fly properly and see how that goes. I am still new to it all though. It would be a follow up from when RD takes Scootaloo under her wing.

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 1

Well there is this...

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were standing on one of the lower clouds in the sky. Scootaloo looked over the edge nervously and then looked up to Rainbow Dash for guidance.

“Go on. Just jump and then use your wings and try to fly” Rainbow Dash told Scootaloo.

“What if I fall to the ground though?” Scootaloo asked.

“Do you really think your big sis would let that happen to you?” she replied.

“I guess you’re right Dash” she said.

Scootaloo moved towards the edge and jumped off. She tried to user wings to go steady and fly, but instead ended up flailing. Rainbow Dash darted down and caught her before she even came close to hitting the ground.

“What’d I tell you?” Rainbow Dash asked with flare.

“I knew that you wouldn't let me get hurt Rainbow, but I still can’t fly like you” Scootaloo said sadly.

“We’ll change that and that’s a promise!” said Rainbow Dash.

Iron Wing helped me out with it a bit earlier. I think I'll continue working on it.

You seemed to have found the thing ou where looking for.

I wish you good luck.

Also note that fan-fics can be any genre an can be almost any story. All you have to do is figure out what out want and tell our story.

In any case I wish you good luck and hope to see your finished work some day.

Edited by Phoenix237
  • Brohoof 1

I know your pain. I suck at art and writing, xD. It doesn't help my sis loves the show and is a born artist. She's like this beast on Deviantart. I wish i was good at art. I do have a minecraft server, so i guess all hope isn't lost. Everyone has a certain something, if you think you dont, you do, you just havent found it yet.

I know the feel all to well, Scootaloo. That's why I just began trying out the different "skills" in the fandom and seeing which ones I liked. Right now I'm focused on art and poetry but I hope to do music soon. 

My advice in a nutshell? Try everything!

Edit: looking at other posts, I might be a little late providing this advice...

Edited by CamRad18
  • Brohoof 1

I know how you feel. Best advice is what everypony else has already said, try everything! I'm trying art and music, and even though progress is slow (short on time for the former, no lessons currently available for the later) at best, it's better than nothing. :) Just try. You've got nothing to lose but worlds to gain. ;)

Geez, the worst thing you can do to yourself is to hate on yourself! Don't worry lots of people aren't good at art, or producing music. That's fine. If you are a brony, and you are happy, then you have already given this community more than we ask forsmile.png /)*

• Brohoof 1

I think I've done enough for MLPForums to deserve a break by being useless after creating around 200 signatures, a entire set of wallpapers, a handful of avatars, a few drawings of other ponies OCs and a ton of roleplaying on many threads.

And no, you aren't useless. A lot of ponies don't do much anyway. It's fine, just be who you are and we'll love you for being you. Don't pressure yourself to do things you just can't or don't even enjoy doing.

Well good news the first part of my story (Teaching Scootaloo to Fly) got accepted on FiM Fiction (link to it) I think I may have found something i like doing.

thats awesome news. i read the story you wrote and it just made me want an episode like it in season 4. keep practicing and im sure you will be able to come out with a amazing fanfic.

btw send it to me when your done   

Well you participating on brony forums such as this one is a contribution!  You are helping keep the fanbase alive. But if you wish to contribute more, you can continue trying to do fanfic, or perhaps if you have the skills create a clan/origination/alliance targeted for bronys?

Listen dude, being a supportive member and being able to keep up with the show enough to talk about it and spread its message of love and tolerance is good enough for me at least. Sure, I write fanfiction and do music covers (my latest being " A Canterlot Wedding" on keyboard) but that doesn't mean you are useless, it just shows how much you actually care about the community, thank you and brony on fellow brother or pegasister /)

• Brohoof 1

If you can't make things you can always blog. I run 2 blogs for the fandom and i find it creative, useful to others, and ultimately satisfying work. If that's something you can do or help out WITH an existing one then consider that.

Well I've been looking for a way to contribute to MLP. So far I've tried..

Signature/Avatar making - I'm ok at it, but most anybody can do it with enough effort.

Art - not very good at all.

Role Play - nope not good.

Fan Fiction - haven't tried, but what am I supposed to write?

Donate - sorry, but atm I am somewhat broke

I know that I could be "just a fan" however that doesn't cut it for me and most of what there is to do I can't do. The only thing I do that is even remotely helpful is maintain the CMC club thread (and that's just a simple thread). I feel useless img-1268099-1-sad.png.

I know that feel, wish there was something i could do to contribute, i cant draw or create music, i have not tried writing a fanfic so i think i might try that soon. But being a fan is just fine and there is nothing wrong with it.

You're not useless at all.Im not good at any of that stuff except for art, and maybe fanfics. (written 3 of them)i mean,the best thing is at least you join the community,thats all that really matters :).

Edited by Midnight zap

When it comes to things like this you usually find your talent/passion by accident. As for you fanfic I read the first chapter and in my honest opinion it was really good! Keep it up :)

• 3 weeks later...

I truly can say without any hesitation that I know how you feel, I am still fairly new around here. I just try to do my best with posting stuff that people will actually read. considering you have as many people answering this as you do, I'd say you are off to good start. I'd also say that if you are trying to contribute even more than that, I would start with art (*Epic Rhyme*) I have been practicing my artistic skill and I have come along way. with a little bit of practice, I'm sure you could do it. Good Luck to ya.

Are you "useless"? Let's take a look.

1) Signatures.

While you may not think they take much talent, I certainly haven't the time for them. I made myself a signature, but because i use so much time with school/fanfic writing/music making I haven't the time for making signatures. You're doing something I never could.

2) Windows 7/8 ponification.

I just looked in your signature for another thing you can do that i can't. I could never have assembled so many ways to customize a computer to my interests, something that I love to personalize. That was a genius idea on your part, and thanks to you, I'm going to look into that. I'm going to ponify my computer, and now whenever I see my computer booting up, I'm going to smile. Thank you in advance.

3) You're a fan of Scootaloo.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it is vital that every character has fans in order that one of them is not 'mistreated'. That's why, when people say 'AJ is a background pony', we have people to refute them and keep them in check. I love Scootaloo, but i kind of love Luna more for personal reasons. Still, I am ecstatic to see that Scootaloo has people who love her above any other character.

4) You support Alicorn Twilight.

If fans eternally bicker among themselves, their fandom will inevitably decay and crumble. Since the brony fandom community family is so tightly knit and that's what makes it so awesome, we need people to stay faithful to the show to keep the critics in check. After all, Twilicorn isn't going away, but the resentment against her might.

5) You're part of the family.

I don't know when, and i don't know how, but i can assure you that you have touched somepony's life. Somepony in the fandom has been inspired by you. Maybe it was just a simple comment that improved their mood and let them go on with their creative project; maybe it was an idea you had that snowballed in somepony else's mind into something much greater.

Don't ever feel down because you haven't contributed. If you're a part of our great family, our large extended friendship, you have inevitably contributed to the awesomeness it produces. You are a part of the herd; the herd makes great things.

You are indirectly responsible for much more than you expect. Never lose faith in your own importance, no matter how "useless" you may sometimes feel. Keep Calm and Brony On, my friend. /)

• Brohoof 2

I definitely know how you feel. I mostly work in String Theory and the areas of physics and some computer software development, but I feel that I can't really contribute much to the brony community.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to know that you don't have to contribute art to be a member of this community. Sharing opinions and thoughts with us is all we really need from you; by posting on this forums you are contributing so you shouldn't feel useless. :)

Don't feel bad! As long as you're enjoying the show and part of the community you are doing something special. You're part of the herd and we're glad you're here. I've been wiring some fanfics and I'm not sure there are the best but I enjoy writing them and hopefully ponies enjoy reading them. What I'd love to do is draw, but that won't happen. Just be yourself!