Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would adding background characters to the front hurt the show?

Freewave

One thing that the writers of the show haven't done all 3 seasons is really take background ponies and move them to the forefront and make them part of the plot for an episode or give many of them a really big cameo at least . The show seems to focus on having each ep generally about one of the mane 6 OR a member of CMC OR occasionally Luna. Sure Vinyl Scratch made a quick cameo in season 2 finale for 5 seconds and Derpy had a qucik botched cameo (the voice thing) but that's still not really a big episode focus or something they have continued,

The Valentine's Day special with Cheerilee and Big Mac DID do do this although both were semi-prominant characters.  Inicidentally I don't think either got a toy set for them when they could have. Since there are several toys out there but without prominant tv appearances and some do (Lyra but no Bon Bon or villians) how is Hasbro incorporating selling toys with how they run the show? If they really want to sell more toys wouldn't they have MORE pony character toys available AND wouldn't they get more screen time. I remember how many Gi Joe and Star Wars characters there used to be on the market and Hasbro is barely even trying to dip into their well of characters.

Would this be a good thing to mix the focus of the show in season 4 or does that sound like it would dilute the power of our beloved mane 6 and lose its appeal?

Also would returning villians be a good thing or do you feel that Trixie and Discord haven't been handled well as returning characters?

To be honest, while I wouldn't mind it if background ponies continued to make appearances or even got speaking parts in future episodes, I don't particularly want them to have too big of a part in seasons to come. For me it is the excellent and entertaining character interactions between the mane six (and to a lesser extent the CMC and Spike) that make this show so enjoyable. I think that the characters that we have now still have loads of untapped potential and I would prefer it if the limited episodes that we are going to recieve were focused as much as possible on the characters that I have grown to appreciate so much.

As for villains, I don't especially mind but I think it can be overdone. Discord and Trixie now have potential to be used in interesting ways in the future, and I think Lightning Dust will go that direction as well eventually, but part of the problem is that the nature of this show would suggest that antagonists return to learn a lesson that they didn't learn the first time. I actually think that it is more realistic and interesting to have some characters stay evil. If they were to return and stay antagonists then I would be more likely to be on board. I'd kind of like to see Applejack smack down the Flim Flam brothers :).

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

As for villains, I don't especially mind but I think it can be overdone. Discord and Trixie now have potential to be used in interesting ways in the future, and I think Lightning Dust will go that direction as well eventually, but part of the problem is that the nature of this show would suggest that antagonists return to learn a lesson that they didn't learn the first time.

That gives me an interesting idea... what if Lightning Dust returns, but brings Gilda with her? Seems fairly likely that LD would hold a grudge for Rainbow crushing her Wonderbolt dreams, and Gilda probably wouldn't mind messing with her a bit too. Could be a good opportunity for Rainbow to show off her skills, as well as making peace with those two. Bonus points if Scootaloo is involved :)

As for background ponies getting lead roles... I think they're doing great already, with characters like Gilda, Trixie, Philomena, the Cakes and their foals, Fancy Pants, and various others, who do get major roles in one or two episodes, but primarily for the purpose of providing the main cast something to do. It would be interesting to do an episode where the roles are switched, starting off showing the chosen minor character(s) going about their day, running into a problem, and then the mane 6 help solve it. But probably only one or two episodes per season, since there's still lots needing covered just within the main cast.

I really want a Celestia centered episode. I'd just die(abeetus) if we got a full day of Celestia and Twilight working together, with a dash of Luna thrown in.

• Brohoof 1

Giving background ponies a few lines here and there is perfectly fine. A few nods to the fandom are also perfectly fine. However, I believe background ponies should be exactly that: background ponies.

I don't want episodes about how Lyra is obsessed with humans, or how Octavia can't find the bow to her Cello. That sort of thing detracts from the Mane 6 and forces the writers to develop and juggle even more characters than they already have.

Friendship is Magic current has many characters that the writers can use and while it can always use more, it doesn't need another 20 or so on top of that simply because they've appeared in the background.

As for returning antagonists, the only one I can see happening is Queen Chrysalis and the changelings. Every other antagonist either can't, won't, or wouldn't because their return is unnecessary plot-wise.

• Brohoof 3

Giving background ponies a few lines here and there is perfectly fine. A few nods to the fandom are also perfectly fine. However, I believe background ponies should be exactly that: background ponies.

This was the case with season one and two, but really fell off in season three.  I think the time alotted is too short for the entire script to fit so background characters get cut.  A shame really.

• Brohoof 1

the writers cant do side stories and such with background ponies due to the length of the episodes, and the fact that it might complicate the continuation of the plotlines too much. Id like to see more of the background ponies getting a few lines here and there, or nods to the fandom, but its impractical to imagine them receiving partial roles in any of the episodes. Id like to see the writers have more inclusion roles for the background ponies, such as in the wonderbolts academy episode where the background ponies were recruits and have a couple lines each. 

• Brohoof 1

For season 3 I feel like side characters aren't being used that much anymore. It seems to focus to much now on the 6 and not them helping out any of the side characters like they did in season 1 and 2. If they do show up they don't do much and they don't say anything. Something I just wanted to say. Todays episode felt like the only one that had a lot of side characters in it and background characters. 

As for the background ponies, I think it would be fine if a background character had an episode with one of the mane 6, but for them to have an episode on their own would be a little hard. Most of the background ponies profiles have been made by us and I feel the wrights would not know what to do for episode if none of the 6 were involved.

As for villains they can come back to try and beat the 6. They are using Queen Chrysalis in the comic books and after what she did I don't think the she will be a character that can be redeemed so easily.

I think that the show has to focus on the mane 6, some episodes were focused around the CMC. I wouldn't mind if they focused an episode on a background character but it just wouldn't fit, they could incorporate background characters more, like the episode on Zecora was mainly focused around her.

What they're doing now is ok.

They ARE background ponies after all, gotta focus on the protagonists. :P

Those ponies are to just add more depth into the background and stuff and will usually have tiny lines like Lyra saying, "I love them.".

I think they should keep it like that because it would be annoying having a shit-ton of BG ponies getting episodes.

The little cute lines are ok to have, they should probably have those more often.

That gives me an interesting idea... what if Lightning Dust returns, but brings Gilda with her? Seems fairly likely that LD would hold a grudge for Rainbow crushing her Wonderbolt dreams, and Gilda probably wouldn't mind messing with her a bit too. Could be a good opportunity for Rainbow to show off her skills, as well as making peace with those two. Bonus points if Scootaloo is involved :)

As for background ponies getting lead roles... I think they're doing great already, with characters like Gilda, Trixie, Philomena, the Cakes and their foals, Fancy Pants, and various others, who do get major roles in one or two episodes, but primarily for the purpose of providing the main cast something to do. It would be interesting to do an episode where the roles are switched, starting off showing the chosen minor character(s) going about their day, running into a problem, and then the mane 6 help solve it. But probably only one or two episodes per season, since there's still lots needing covered just within the main cast.

I really want a Celestia centered episode. I'd just die(abeetus) if we got a full day of Celestia and Twilight working together, with a dash of Luna thrown in.

Oh yes, I've got some good ideas there. I'd also love to see a day with just Celestia and Twilight, to kind of get a clear picture of their relationship.

I'd like to see some of the backround ponies a bit more in the center, though not too much, because I think that would ruin a lot of the fanmade stories. I mean, I don't think Hasbro can keep up with the stories completly... ehum, considering that the show is after all meant for the younger audience. For example, I wouldn't mind Lyra and Bon Bon getting some attention, but not too much. I don't want my picture of them as a lovely couple to be ruined. I think that hasbro would not dare to have lesbians in the show. Sad, but probrably true. They're my favorite background ponies. Actually, I just orderd a mug with both of them on it.

I don't think anything would go wrong if they gave background ponies slightly bigger roles. I mean, if they ever run low on ideas for the Mane 6, they can make some episodes about some non-main characters, which will give the writers time to think of more ideas for episodes about the Mane 6.

I think it would be fine to have them say a few lines once in a while, but they're mainly there to fill in space. Still, it'd be pretty interesting if Bon Bon or something got their own episode, whatever it may be. But that would be kind of sudden and awkward to have her suddenly in the spotlight.

I wouldn't mind if background ponies received like, one or two lines. But not a whole scene or episode.

The maximum amount of screen time a background pony should receive should be less than Derpy, because Derpy executed her lines perfectly and should be left at that. 

• Brohoof 2

No I don't think it would hurt anything but i think the reason for that is so that we can do more with them. I personally would like to see the other characters like Zecora and Luna get more screen time. But i think the real reason for it is because we have 6 main characters there is no need for it. Lyra and Bon Bon or Octavia and Vinyl Scratch getting their own episode would prove to be interesting.

19632948345618028_7ZwR7fqO_b.jpg

Actually I wouldn't mind the occasional episode featuring a background pony it dosen't and shouldn't be done all the time granted but it would be interesting to see.

Because the show is about the mane six and those close to them and who's lives they somehow touch. That's how it was meant to be from the get go. Just because a bunch of guys who started watching the show have an attention to detail that rivals Rarity's took notice of some greatly designed ponies in the background doesn't mean this ponies should now be given special attention. I rather more see the secondary and one shot characters be brought forward than any of the background ponies. 

I say leave the background ponies to the comics. 

As to toy distribution. Before making a toyline with a large library of characters much like the Transformers and Star Wars toyline. Hasbro needs to get their act together on making a small group of characters into figures that actually resemble them and that are of good quality. And not leave use waiting for months for just two new figures that would make a grand total of four figures in 6 months (I'm looking at you Hot Topic Vinyl Figure line).

Edited by himanuts
  • Brohoof 1

This is what I say. I think the most popular background characters should have one whole episode to their selves. Here are the most popular if you don't know them: Lyra, Bon Bon, Derpy :lol:, Doctor Whooves a.k.a Time Turner, Octavia, and DJ Pon3 a.k.a Vinyl Scratch. It can be like an episode where they show what is going in their lives. The Mane 6 can be the backgrounds in this episode. :D

As to toy distribution. Before making a toyline with a large library of characters much like the Transformers and Star Wars toyline. Hasbro needs to get their act together on making a small group of characters into figures that actually resemble them and that are of good quality. And not leave use waiting for months for just two new figures that would make a grand total of four figures in 6 months (I'm looking at you Hot Topic Vinyl Figure line).

Licensing aside, Hasbro has nothing to do with the Hot Topic vinyl figures, at least production-wise. Blame Funko for the lack of pony vinyls (and apparently lack of quality control with the few vinyls we DO have). Though, I'm fairly certain that we'll see them churning out those figures at a much better rate now that they've seen how well they sell.

Getting back on topic:

I would however, like to see more episodes that feature secondary characters like Celestia, Luna, and the CMC. An episode with nothing but Luna and Celestia would be interesting, maybe they have some royal antics worth devoting an episode to? An Apple Family episode would also be pretty cool, too. There are plenty of episode possibilities with the characters we already have, so adding new ones is kind of redundant at this point.

• Brohoof 1

One of the beauties of background ponies is that they have no set personality, allowing the fans to make them on there own.  Background ponies belong in the background only speaking when they need to.