Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the CMC really?

Brook

I've had this question on mind for a while now, and I think that they're somewhere between 7-9 in human years. Scratch that, what DashForever said changed my mind, and I agree with him. That's just relative to their behavior though, you could judge by the way they get treated or their stand in society, it's just my guess.

So how old are they in human years?

Edited by Brook
  • Brohoof 1

I'm thinking late elementary school/early middle school, so 10-12ish? The cutie mark seems to be an analogy for puberty so that would seem about right to me. They remind me a tad of my younger brother and sister at times and they're around that age.

• Brohoof 11

I'm thinking late elementary school/early middle school, so 10-12ish? The cutie mark seems to be an analogy for puberty so that would seem about right to me. They remind me a tad of my younger brother and sister at times and they're around that age.

Pretty much right on the money, IMO. Also, the main lesson most of the CMC episodes seem to offer is, you shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to grow up, and that it will happen in time. Ask any 7-12 year old if they'd rather stay young, or become grown up immediately. 

• Brohoof 4

In human years.. Between 8 and 10. Their mindsets don't seem like someone on the cusp of being a teenager, but more mature than a little kid. I don't care really. They're as adorable as fried puppies.

• Brohoof 1

I actually think they're in their mid-teens.
Hear me out :)
See, most of the other ponies in the class have their cutie marks (puberty), so the class is full of teens and the Crusaders just aren't up that stage yet (everyone enters puberty at different times).

Plus (just an extra) the teacher, Cheerilee, is seen in an episode 'hanging out' with Twilight Sparkle (forgot what episode), which suggests they are of similar age (adult).

In her original treatment, Lauren described Apple Bloom as a seven year old "everygirl" kind of pony (source: MLP Wiki).  That seems consistent with the d'aww scene she makes in Friendship is Magic Part 1.  But in every episode since then, she and the other CMCs have acted a few years older than that.  Maybe it was decided that seven was a bit too young for the hijinks envisioned for the CMC?  My guess is they're between 9 and 12.  To narrow it down to an exact year is not feasible or necessary, but they're definitely pre-teens. 

• Brohoof 3

Judging by the theory the mane 6 are in their early 20s-late teens, I would actually say that they are are probably around 12-14 they act around those ages. I would say 10-12, but IMO that seems still a little young.   

• Brohoof 1

I just thought of something, I'm 14 okay? and I can relate a lot to Sweetie Belle in particular (she's best pony), so perhaps she's in her early teens, and so are the rest of CMC.

just something that occurred to me.

It is tough to tell. I have to agree with PinkieLore to some extent though, that for the rest of the class to already be mature enough that they more or less know what they'll be doing with their life even in season 1, they were probably at least 10, possibly as old as 12. And assuming one year per season, that makes them 12 to 14 currently. Seems about right to me. Apple Bloom's carpentry skill in Show Stoppers is way too good for any 7 year old. And at the start of the Babs Seed episode, Sweetie Belle makes a little magic spark, and Scootaloo is fluttering all over the place. Seems to imply that they're really starting to grow up now.

• Brohoof 6

I was thinking about this a little while ago. If we make the assumption that the mane 6 are in the mid twenties then I would guess that the CMC are between 10 and 12. As has been said the cutie mark is kind of analogous with puberty which would also account for some getting it earlier than others.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

Not older than 9. They seem to be in elementary school, and 10 years old seems already an adolescent to me. Scootaloo-9, AB-9, SB-8, BS-8, Dinky-6.

Most likely between the ages of 7-10 while it does show subtle signs of them maturing they are still very young and are definitely not teens yet.

At school they're still doing activities like 'Bring your parent to school day', making valentine cards and have excursion trips at Museums, I'm not sure about anyone else but I did activities like that when I was in grade 4-6. 

Year 6 is my guess on where they are currently at school, so ages 10 being the youngest to 12 being the oldest seems fitting to me. I can't say that they are all the same age, maybe they have a year difference to each other but that's just me xP

• Brohoof 4

Since their school looks like a Kindergarten school, I think they are separated in age from about 1 - 2 years apart from each other. I think it is pretty hard to predict their ages just like the Mane 6 ages.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not even going to bother considering how ponies actually age, so I'm just going to compare them to humans. (Everyone else is.) Since a cutie mark is a mark of physical/emotional maturity, or even puberty, I'd say at their youngest they're 9 or 10 and at their oldest they're 12 or 13.

• Brohoof 2

I say judging by EQG they are around the freshman in highschool age, so 14.  Though they may seem younger in the show.  Maybe they could be 11-13/ 

• Brohoof 2

I've always though of cutie marks as sorta a puberty kinda thing, so I'm guessing like 11-13ish.

I don't think they're to young, I can't see them as under 10 really, they seem to mature for that to me.

• Brohoof 2

I'd say they're around 8-10. EQG is set in an alternate universe, where the CMC's counterparts can be a little older, like around 14 or so. But I think the CMC from the pony universe are a bit younger.