Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

TailsIsNotAlone

I'm not actually complaining about getting more pegasisters to the fandom. That's okay to me.

I'm just guessing that there's a high chance not many males will be fans of the show in Japan, the reason being what poniesforfun said. Further reason is the difference between U.S. and Japan. The difference being that Japan, IMO, is quite stricter on how they raise their children... unless that's changed somehow from last time I checked.

Did you even look at my post #47? There is already a huge number of older males in Japan that are SERIOUSLY into Sh?jo anime and manga aimed at little girls. Why would they not like FIM? Look up Otaku some time. They make Bronies look like suit and tie wearing conservatives! It actually made the news about a year ago when some guy in Japan MARRIED a fictional character in a romance sim game!

20VjO.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 4

Hello!

I'll be the first to ask. Why is this so exciting? I personally, never liked anything the japanese dubed, and i really had enough of those KTSoooO!O!O!!!!!

Nothing to exciting, but it's great that MLP is becoming more and more popular.

The more popular the show is, the more likely the show will get renewed for additional seasons.This is obviously a good thing to have :)

I'm not actually complaining about getting more pegasisters to the fandom. That's okay to me.

I'm just guessing that there's a high chance not many males will be fans of the show in Japan, the reason being what poniesforfun said. Further reason is the difference between U.S. and Japan. The difference being that Japan, IMO, is quite stricter on how they raise their children... unless that's changed somehow from last time I checked.

Really? 

Magical+Girl++Lyrical+Nanoha+As+1.jpg

You want to know what the target demographic is for this show?  Young men. 

Seriously, take a look at otaku culture in Japan and what it's been for the last few decades.  Even Bronydom doesn't compare from the standpoint of obsessing over girly shows.

• Brohoof 3

Did you even look at my post #47? There is already a huge number of older males in Japan that are SERIOUSLY into Sh?jo anime and manga aimed at little girls. Why would they not like FIM? Look up Otaku some time. They make Bronies look like suit and tie wearing conservatives! It actually made the news about a year ago when some guy in Japan MARRIED a fictional character in a romance sim game!

img-1166444-1-20VjO.jpg

Really? 

img-1167414-1-Magical%20Girl%20%20Lyrica

You want to know what the target demographic is for this show?  Young men. 

Seriously, take a look at otaku culture in Japan and what it's been for the last few decades.  Even Bronydom doesn't compare from the standpoint of obsessing over girly shows.

I repeat:

I was just guessing. I was not stating any true facts. If it is true what you say then my guess was wrong and you proved it.

There, are you happy now?

Heck I myself like Mahou Shoujo (= magical girl) anime genre the best so I DO understand there can be male fans even if the show would be girly and all that and MLP: FiM has proved to be an extraordinary show that pulled an unexpected audience together and made an impact no one expected.

I DID consider the male fans of Shoujo anime genre, but that doesn't mean they would automatically like MLP. In any case we shall see what kind of reception the show will get once dubbed into Japanese.

Also: *looks at the picture* I've seen Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha in whole and I liked it even though it was surprisingly... adultish(?)

• 1 month later...

I hope this means a anime spin-off gets made and dubbed, I'd love to see FiM in a more anime style, maybe with a slightly more mature tone to it(I mean as in more character depth and a deeper story)

This is going to be very interesting. Not sure how many episodes I am going to watch at first, but I am interested to see how each character comes out, what the opening sounds like, what the characters well sound like, if the dialog well change, and how the other songs in the show well sound. So can't wait to see it.

I even found a group that said they well be subbing the show. They are called tvnihon. They are a pretty goo group that subs all kinds of things.

Super Sentai (Power Ranger)

zyuden_sentai_kyoryuger_by_yorkemaster-d

and Kamen Rider 

kamen_rider_wizard_by_yorkemaster-d571jf

They are really good and they make it fun in all kinds of ways.

http://www.tvnihon.com/node/1496

Here is a link to the article saying they well sub it.

Can't wait to see it.

I hope this means a anime spin-off gets made and dubbed, I'd love to see FiM in a more anime style, maybe with a slightly more mature tone to it(I mean as in more character depth and a deeper story)

Well that's a thought. I don't know how far the Japanese dubbers will go with rewriting the scripts, but I do know that quite a few English anime dubbers have seriously dumbed down the Japanese originals (because they think American kids are dummies, presumably). So it'll be interesting to see how it goes the other way around. Maybe they'll give MLP's already good scripts some additional subtlety and depth. Maybe they'll even give King Sombra some lines! tongue.png

I can't wait to hear what Discord sounds like too.

• Brohoof 1

あああああ!私は大好きです!

It's about time! I must watch all the episodes in Japanese! It's been my second language since childhood, so how can I resist? Excited!  :wub:

You must teach me eet nao! Been wanting to learn it for 4 years now. Please teach me. Arigato Gozaimasu. I need some halp with learning

• Brohoof 1

You must teach me eet nao! Been wanting to learn it for 4 years now. Please teach me. Arigato Gozaimasu. I need some halp with learning

It's a bit hard teaching from the Internet, isn't it? I'm not fluent, either. I'm going to Japan next week for the first time so it may help me. I suggest Rosetta Stone. Not everyone likes it, but it worked for me.

Well that's a thought. I don't know how far the Japanese dubbers will go with rewriting the scripts, but I do know that quite a few English anime dubbers have seriously dumbed down the Japanese originals (because they think American kids are dummies, presumably). So it'll be interesting to see how it goes the other way around. Maybe they'll give MLP's already good scripts some additional subtlety and depth. Maybe they'll even give King Sombra some lines! img-1286800-1-tongue.png

I can't wait to hear what Discord sounds like too.

I was more thinking some anime company getting the permissions and deals to make a whole new show based off it, it's happened with American cartoons that got big before. 

Edited by Shoboni

Personally, I'm most impressed by the casting of Kikuko Inoue as Celestia. She's one of the most prolific and experienced voice actors in Japan, *and* she's particularly known for elegant motherly/big sister type roles. There isn't a better voice out there for Celestia.

Well that's a thought. I don't know how far the Japanese dubbers will go with rewriting the scripts, but I do know that quite a few English anime dubbers have seriously dumbed down the Japanese originals (because they think American kids are dummies, presumably). So it'll be interesting to see how it goes the other way around. Maybe they'll give MLP's already good scripts some additional subtlety and depth. Maybe they'll even give King Sombra some lines! img-1286800-1-tongue.png

Or they might also dumb it down for Japanese kids. 

Japan isn't inherently better at this kind of thing.The key is to preserve the spirit of the original as much as possible.  If subbed anime fans don't like it when english dubbed shows make little changes, why should we hold Japan to a different standard?

Or they might also dumb it down for Japanese kids. 

Japan isn't inherently better at this kind of thing.The key is to preserve the spirit of the original as much as possible.  If subbed anime fans don't like it when english dubbed shows make little changes, why should we hold Japan to a different standard?

Good point...I agree it's important to preserve the spirit of MLP as much as they can in the localization. I just meant that it might be interesting to see what cultural tweaks they do make, especially if they make the show a little more character-driven. But I don't think there's much in the show that the Japanese would be compelled to change or censor.

And frankly, I dare anyone to find Japanese equivalents of the disastrous American dub jobs I've seen, even as a passing anime fan.

With all the  subbed animes I have watched over the years (way to many to list) it'll sure be inresting to see what Japan has to offer in terms of dubs.

• Brohoof 2

Well let's just hope they dub it properly. I mean, has anyone seen any of the foreign dubs for MLP? They can be a bit akward at times.  But hey, let's just hope they like it. smile.png

Appurujack XD

Edited by Neighvana666

Well let's just hope they dub it properly. I mean, has anyone seen any of the foreign dubs for MLP? They can be a bit akward at times.  But hey, let's just hope they like it. img-1289297-1-smile.png

Appurujack XD

You mean something along like what the user ogatamon has made? She has made a few Japanese dubs herself on specific scenes and has even sang few MLP songs like This Day Aria and Giggle At The Ghostie in Japanese. Check her channel if you haven't already. It's a doozy.

Sounds good to me. :) Since Japan is known for making anime and some weird japanese shows, now I hope for english subtitles when My Little Pony comes to Japan. That would be great.

You mean something along like what the user ogatamon has made? She has made a few Japanese dubs herself on specific scenes and has even sang few MLP songs like This Day Aria and Giggle At The Ghostie in Japanese. Check her channel if you haven't already. It's a doozy.

Uhh... No. I was refering to the European dubs of MLP (in French, Swedish, etc.). And I'm not really a fan of J-pop (I kinda loathe it) but, maybe I'll check out the Japanese covers you mentioned.

This has been probably been brought up already, but what do you guys think about the show being in Japan?

I've already heard that they got the voice acting group from Milky Holmes to do some of the voices, and the show will be called "マイリトルポニー~トモダチは魔法~ (Mai Ritoru Ponī ~Tomodachi wa Mahō~)", and will air on April 2, 2013. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Edited by Thatoneguy75

This is going to be interesting. I'm curious as to how this will turn out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to memorize the romanised name.

• Brohoof 1

WHAAAAAT?!! zOMG, I'm so pumped!! Argh, must find listing!! Must show boyfriend! Must turn boyfriend into brony!! *runs off in an excitedly crazed rampage*

I'm eager to hear the voices. Japan's kinda hit and miss with dubbing from English. The Sesame Street and Disney characters are, like, spot on. But things with not so characteristically set voices don't tend to go so well in Japanese. I'm hoping they did a good job.

This is a fandub.

The acting isn't superb, but I'm hoping they get the characters as close as they did here. I think the person (people?) who dubbed this did great keeping true to the characters.

Spike's VA did Li Syaoran's voice in Card Captor Sakura. I feel that this is suited to him, so I think it should be fine. I'm not sure about Celestia's VA. The only things I recognize her are from Chobits and Ranma, both of which she had overly sweet motherly-type roles, which isn't quite on the mark for Celestia. However, she seems to be a seasoned veteran with a number of very popular titles under her belt, so maybe she'll be fine. Unfortunately, a lot of the people they cast seem a bit green, having only debuted less than 5 years ago and some being even younger than me. I can't judge them before I've heard them, but it makes me a bit wary. I hope they can pull it off.

I'm extremely disappointed that HKT 48 has any freaking part in this >.>

Edited by Clover Heart