Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BUCK (Brony UK Convention) 2013 News/Discussion

An Old Head

img-1205723-1-logo.png

BUCK 2013 is a Manchester-based convention scheduled to be held on 23rd-25th August, 2013, in the United Kingdom. This thread'll be designated to news about the event and general discussion for those who are/aren't going. I will attempt to update this post as frequently as possible with news on BUCK 2013 as it comes.

Official BUCK 2013 Website

Facebook Group for BUCK 2013

--------

Update 26/08/2013: Success!

Well, everybody who went to this absolutely sensational convention can agree that it was a huge success! The entire weekend was a high-spirited conglomeration of us UK kind Brony souls having a totally fun  :ph34r: awesome time. Songs were sung, panels were had, brohooves were shared, laughs were laughed and cosplays were flaunted - to name a few things! If you have any pictures or videos to show, or stories to tell, let loose in this thread! Alternatively, upload them to the Facebook group for BUCK 2013. I can't wait to blog about everything that went down :)

Pre-Con News:

11/08/2013 Update - Official Schedule Released

With just twelve days left to Europe's largest ever Brony convention, our good friend Graham Lord has rustled up a super-detailed schedule of events over the two days :)

You can click the image below to enlarge it, or you can check out the website's post here: http://www.buckcon.org/buck-2013-schedule/

img-1205723-2-shed-draft.png

17/07/2013 Update - Summer Sun Celebration Set-Up

Small update; the equipment set-up for the Summer Sun Celebration has had a peek sneaked on the website:

img-1205723-2-3ZAIPSz-1024x488.png

01/07/2013 Update - One In, One Out

Good news and bad news; as they always say, bad news first. John de Lancie has met with an unfortunate family tragedy and whether or not he will be able to make it to BUCK at the present time is uncertain. The BUCK staff have agreed that it would be unfair for him to ignore a close family emergency; best wishes to Q and his family in this instance, and the staff team maintains that it will continue to make BUCK an unforgettable weekend - so do not fret.

But as one draws out, another one comes in. Michelle Creber, the voice of Apple Bloom and singing voice for Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, has been confirmed as a VIP guest! :) As well as VAing, she has a prominent singing career and has released two albums; she's also appeared in multiple other live action TV series such as Supernatural and Eureka. This will be a great chance to ask her any questions you have about VAing and anything about her work.

26/06/2013 Update - BUCK Film Competition

If you've read through the event programme for BUCK, you'll have seen that there's a film showing. This is a competition where users create their own MLP- themed fan film of whatever length or theme for BUCK attendees to enjoy, with the best ones being shown at the event and the nominated winner receiving the BUCK Fan Video trophy; more details here.

24/06/2013 Update - AcousticBrony Hot Minute & Merchandise Line-up

A new series called Hot Minute, in anticipation to the Summer Sun Celebration event, has begun img-1205723-2-smile.png This is a series where artists performing at the Summer Sun Celebration are interviewed in minute bursts, which are uploaded as new episodes every few days. Tune in to hear about some of your favourite musicians that you'll be seeing at the event!

Also, though this has been news for some more time, they've released the details of the vendor tables that stock pony merch! Ranging from key rings and badges to plushies and paintings, the wealth and variety of pony merchandise trumps that of last year's; so they'll be all the rage! They sell quicker than a flash, so make your way to the Vendor's Alley to souvenir up! More details here.

10/06/13 Update: Event Programme & New VIP Guest

A programme outlining the events to come at BUCK 2013 has been released; it can be found here. It details the Mane Events, the Q&A panels, the performances, the challenges and competitions, workshops and so much more. Details are still to come, such as the locations for some of the events, so keep watch!

Another piece of news; Cindy Morrow, a prolific writer for the show, has been announced as a VIP guest! She will be taking questions alongside John de Lancie at the writer's panel. Cindy Morrow masterminded some of our favourite episodes, including but not limited to Winter Wrap Up, Hurricane Fluttershy, Read It And Weep and Sisterhooves Social, as well as the lyrics to fan favourite songs such as Winter Wrap Up and Raise This Barn. She's also done writing work for many other cartoons such as Dexter's Lab and Foster's Home - what better than the chance to meet her in person? More detail here.

23/05/13 Update: More Community Guests

Four more community guests have confirmed that they will be attending BUCK this year:
  • Knighty, the founder and lead developer of FiMFiction.net, who will have a panel all about fan fiction
  • Yami Bjork, a well-known cosplayer, who will also have a cosplay workshop for aspiring cosplayers
  • GalaxyArt, an artist, musician and animator (basically has it all) will be bringing his creativity. Check out his gallery.
  • DJ Zingiber, who I think was at BUCK 2012 and was amazing, is a DJ bringing his playlist to the scene.

11/05/13 Update: Meghan McCarthy & Amy Keating Rogers + BUCK on Bronyville

Meghan McCarthy and Amy Keating Rogers, two prolific writers for the show, have confirmed that they will be doing a panel at BUCK to take questions from us. They won't actually be at the convention - we'll be conversing through a video stream. This will be a great opportunity to ask questions about what goes on in the office, about the development of the show, about upcoming episodes and anything else n.n

This information was detailed in an episode of Bronyville (which is a great podcast, by the way) which can be downloaded from this this link. It also contains a wealth of other juicy information about what will go down at BUCK.

25/04/2013 - Summer Sun Celebration Details

Details have just been released for the Summer Sun Celebration event happening on the Friday; a new page has been erected to describe just some of what is in store for attendees. Starting at 7:00 PM, we're in for five hours of electrifying Brony music performances and entertainment! With a line-up including The Living Tombstone, AcousticBrony, LaserPon3 and loads more, what better way to kick off BUCK? img-1205723-2-biggrin.png

See more at http://www.buckcon.org/summer-sun-celebration/

23/04/2013 - Paypal Refund Update

All PayPal refunds have now been processed, with the exception of two anomalies that will be privately e-mailed. You should all see a refund for the amount you paid in your bank invoices. If you don't, the BUCK staff will take any e-mails carrying queries.

In the coming week, a privatised wave of tickets will be released to those affected by the PayPal reserve issues. The general public will not be able to buy from this wave, so do not fret. For the two weeks after they are released to you, you may re-purchase your ticket.

The BUCK staff team asks that you only buy however many tickets you initially bought, because they're putting in the wave exactly how many tickets they refunded. Buying tickets from this special wave that you were not refunded for, will cause an imbalance - please buy any extra tickets you want from the second wave aimed at the general public.

15/04/2013 - Confirmed VIP Guest: John De Lancie

John de Lancie is confirmed to make an appearance at BUCK! The voice actor for Discord, and co-producer/promoter of the Bronies documentary, he is a great face to have at the convention. Holders of Celestia tier tickets will be able to personally meet him at a VIP meal on the Friday, and he'll undoubtedly be doing a panel. More information about his appearance and John De Lancie himself here: http://www.buckcon.org/buck-announces-john-de-lancie-aka-discord/

02/04/2013 - Payment Switching

On the 29th of March, BUCK had to cease ticket sales due to an overcharge issue with Paypal; they had not accounted for such swift ticket sales, which increased their reserve limit to a massive £300,000. Unfortunately, this meant that BUCK staff couldn't access this revenue because it was beyond the reserve limit. Thus, they have switched to Stripe for their payment service.

So, if you bought a ticket using Paypal between the 24th - 29th March, then you will be refunded within two days from the 2nd of April. Keep an eye on your e-mail if this is the case! You will need to buy your ticket(s) again once you have been refunded.

More details can be found at this link.

24/03/2013 - Tickets Are Now On Sale

Entry tickets for the convention are now available! They can be bought from this link. Ticket prices are as follows:

img-1205723-2-Vtn4Kcf.png

If the ticket tier you want is sold out, do not fret! The website details there will be waves of ticket sales - they will be selling tickets in batches.

At the same time of the tickets going on sale, a whole range of convention content has been uncovered. The Buffet Lunch on Sunday will be with the Guests of Honour, the Brony celebrities that will be attending the convention. The Summer Sun Celebration is a giant party on the Friday, which you can buy as an additional ticket for £15. The FAB After Party is an 18+ late night event costing £20, starting on the Sunday after the convention finishes as 22:00 - because every convention needs an after party! More details on the ticket site itself.

21/03/2013 - BUCK Panel at Nine Worlds

Nine Worlds, the annual multi-fandom festival event, has invited BUCK to represent the Brony fandom at the London Geekfest on August 9th - 11th. They will have a Q&A panel along with other activities, so if you can't make it to Manchester but want to catch Bronies in London, check out their website! http://nineworlds.co.uk/

Note: this is a completely separate event to BUCK - Nine Worlds is a sci-fi convention with widespread fandom attendance. BUCK will be one of many fandoms being represented, so it's not a full Brony event - it's simply a general geek gathering.

20/03/2013 - More Confirmed Brony Celebrities & Promo Video

The BUCK website has revealed that they have several more community guests coming in. They are:

• Cluttershy and Vixlo, otherwise known as ClutterVix
  • Sketchy Sounds
  • Davian, who will be demonstrating an awesome looking pony game, "Ponyfinder P&P".
  • Project Awakening - you know My Little Pony: Rise of the Clockwork Stallions? Project Awakening are the team working on it.
  • The voice actor MasakoX.

And this promo video for the convention was released a few days ago, make sure you watch it if you haven't already!

28/02/2013 - Official Website Up

BUCK 2013 has launched their official website today, the 28th February: 

http://www.buckcon.org/

The website confirms the location of the event to be Manchester, and provides details on accommodation and a rough itinerary for the convention's events. Click the link for more info. img-1205723-2-smile.png

24/02/2013 - Confirmed Brony Celebrities

A recent post from Equestria Daily confirmed that the following famous Brony celebrities will be attending BUCK 2013:

• Acoustic Brony
  • Laserpon3
  • Wooden Toaster
  • The Living Tombstone
  • Lavender Harmony
  • Tei The Pony
  • Blaze
  • Rainbow Crash 88
  • Pipsqueak

A recent post from Brony UK Convention's Facebook page also confirmed two further Brony celebrities attending:

• Celestia Radio (ponify.me)
  • EileMonty

Edited by Flipturn Costava
  • Brohoof 1

Man, I can't wait. Now we just need to know where it's going to held, my moneys on Manchester again. And when the tickets are being sold.

EDIT: Manchester based so ye Manchester ^^

There are already people booking accommodation in Manchester :P Seems like everypony's very eager to get their place at this convention! I'll update as quick as possible regarding ticket sales, in the mean time you should give the Facebook group a Like so that it pops up there as well.

With Acoustic Brony and Wooden Toaster appearing, I'll get myself a ticket if it's the last thing I do!

Edited by Flipturn

oh i have been wanting a British convention as soon as i heard about bronycon!

this fills me with excitement

now if only i could convince my parents to take me.

Where do you live? If it's close enough you could just train ride back home after each day of the event, hotel complications wouldn't become a factor. Still, good luck with convincing your parents, hope that's a success for ya. ;)

GODDAMIT! DAMN! DAMN! JESUS?! REALLY?! 

- calm - 

I've been waiting for a UK based con since I became a brony, now we have one and it couldn't come at a worse time. There's no way I can get there, let alone stay for the entirety of the convention. Eeeuuurg *random garbling noises* 

I'm just going to cry in the corner now until may. 

Where do you live? If it's close enough you could just train ride back home after each day of the event, hotel complications wouldn't become a factor. Still, good luck with convincing your parents, hope that's a success for ya. ;)

i live in as you would say a nuke town

but we can still get there in around 3 hours (by car)

so i guess that close enough.

and i also hope i can convince them

GODDAMIT! DAMN! DAMN! JESUS?! REALLY?! 

- calm - 

I've been waiting for a UK based con since I became a brony, now we have one and it couldn't come at a worse time. There's no way I can get there, let alone stay for the entirety of the convention. Eeeuuurg *random garbling noises* 

I'm just going to cry in the corner now until may. 

im guessing bad happened 

like your job wanting you to go somewhere?

or a relative died?

or some other problem?

dont worry there is always a next year

I noticed from your profile, your birthday's 3 days after the event finishes. Playing that card might help your case if they're not initially convinced. "Birthday treat? *innocent face*"

Well, that's what I'd do anyway. :P

im guessing bad happened 

like your job wanting you to go somewhere?

or a relative died?

or some other problem?

dont worry there is always a next year

Thankfully not. It's just MAJOR financial troubles, and other stuff life likes to throw in your general direction. 

I'm going to have a list of things I want to do before I die - going to a brony convention will be in the top 10, at least 11 times. 

Thankfully not. It's just MAJOR financial troubles, and other stuff life likes to throw in your general direction. 

I'm going to have a list of things I want to do before I die - going to a brony convention will be in the top 10, at least 11 times. 

Remember, BUCK isn't the only convention going around. There was one in Nottingham earlier this year, and there'll definitely be a wealth more. Just keep on the look out. ;)

I want to go SO badly! But Manchester is over 200 miles away form here in south east England, and for you Americans, that is a long way for British people, I know some of you would travel further than 200 miles every week, but the uk is nowhere as big as USA!

I want to go SO badly! But Manchester is over 200 miles away form here in south east England, and for you Americans, that is a long way for British people, I know some of you would travel further than 200 miles every week, but the uk is nowhere as big as USA!

Four hours on a train from Chelmsford to Manchester - surely you can handle that? ;)

Hopefully you can sort something out, would be a shame to miss this one. Good luck.

Four hours on a train from Chelmsford to Manchester - surely you can handle that? ;)

Hopefully you can sort something out, would be a shame to miss this one. Good luck.

I suppose, the bigger problem is getting someone to go with me, I'm only 14 and I can't go to Manchester on my own! Maybe with my sister, she's 17 and in August she's 18 so I could probably go with her (once I have actually told her I'm a brony :)

How did you know I was from chelmsford? Or is it on my profile, il go check!

Any pony going from anywhere near Newcastle upon tyne? If I can find people willing to split fuel cost I will drive there and back PM me if you'r interested.

PS Im going by my self and the car has 5 seats so 4 places available. 

Edited by mycarhasaMoustache

I suppose, the bigger problem is getting someone to go with me, I'm only 14 and I can't go to Manchester on my own! Maybe with my sister, she's 17 and in August she's 18 so I could probably go with her (once I have actually told her I'm a brony :)

How did you know I was from chelmsford? Or is it on my profile, il go check!

Yeah, it was on your profile, under Location. ;) Don't know whether you wanted to keep that secret, but there you go. We can both edit that out if you want me to. Hope you do end up being able to go :)

Any pony going from anywhere near Newcastle upon tyne? If I can find people willing to split fuel cost I will drive there and back PM me if you'r interested 

I'll probably make a separate thread in conjunction with this one for people to arrange BUCK meet-ups. Stay tuned :3

• Brohoof 1

Ok ok so...I think I might've found someone to come with me (i'm 18, but I dont want to travel to Manchester alone) also, I think I might be able to scrape together the money to go - and the money to stop over for a night. 

• Brohoof 3

I really hope I can go, I failed to do so last year. I hope the show still has enough fans then... I will still love it, but I want to go to a convention with a lot of fans there, so I can experience the full force of the fandom. *fingers crossed*.

• Brohoof 1

Good news everypony! The official BUCK 2013 website is up! 

http://www.buckcon.org/

With it comes some juicy new information about the convention - the location is now confirmed to be Manchester, there's a list of accommodation in Manchester for those attending, and the venue itself is currently in confirmation! Check out the website itself for more details :)

• Brohoof 1

Awesome.  I'll be checking the site as often as I can for more info, though It's a little tricky to navigate around at the moment for some reason, maybe it's just me.  Also, I haven't stopped reading Manchester as Manechester since last year...

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: More Community Guests

The BUCK website has revealed that they have several more community guests coming in. They are:

• Cluttershy and Vixlo, otherwise known as ClutterVix
  • Sketchy Sounds (hell yeah, sweet musician!)
  • Davian, who will be demonstrating an awesome looking pony game, "Ponyfinder P&P".
  • Project Awakening - you know My Little Pony: Rise of the Clockwork Stallions? Project Awakening are the team working on it.
  • The voice actor MasakoX.

And this promo video for the convention was released a few days ago, make sure you watch it if you haven't already!

• Brohoof 1

I've never been to a convention before, and while I'd really like to go to this I'm not sure if I could find the money. (Plus, I'd have to tell my family that I'm a brony and I'd rather not do that if I can help it...)

How much is it for the ticket itself. I live 30 mins away from Manchester by train so I don't need accommodation ect, if you can say would really like to know because I've always wanted go to brony con in America but I'm only 16 :) 

How much is it for the ticket itself. I live 30 mins away from Manchester by train so I don't need accommodation ect, if you can say would really like to know because I've always wanted go to brony con in America but I'm only 16 smile.png

The tickets are not on sale yet, so we don't know. Entry last year was £50, so it would be somewhere around that price I'm guessing.

Update: Nine Worlds

Nine Worlds, the annual multi-fandom festival event, has invited BUCK to represent the Brony fandom at the London Geekfest on August 9th - 11th. They will have a Q&A panel along with other activities, so if you can't make it to Manchester but want to catch Bronies in London, check out their website! http://nineworlds.co.uk/

Note: this is a completely separate event to BUCK - Nine Worlds is a sci-fi convention with widespread fandom attendance. BUCK will be one of many fandoms being represented, so it's not a full Brony event - it's simply a general geek gathering. n.n

Oh my gosh I have recently found out about BUCK and I've soooooo wanted to go so badly... but I'm going to a 3-day-model horse event instead, which is actually a few days after BUCK and the other end of the country and equally as awkward to prepare for and cover the costs of! I really hope I can go next year. If there is one.

I'd love to meet some British Bronies. I never used to think they existed, MLP being hugely popular in America. But it makes it more special to us if there are less of us, me thinks. I know most of you are older than me but you're all so nice - we're one big family, right?

Asking to go the BUCK was the first proper speaking about my obsessiveness with My Little Pony. My mum picked up on my numerous drawings and pictures on my iPad, but I never actually told her about Bronies, and the fact that this shows most popular with teenagers - mainly males. xD She was absolutely fine with it - at least I think/hope she is, she just wished that I'd spoken more about it! I'm actually wondering whether to show her an episode, so she can see how awesome it is.... but she is an adult and most likely won't find it entertaining, especially when the other day she said ''what a load of tosh'' when she discovered me and my sister always send each other ponified Draw Somethings!!

• Brohoof 2