Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would your views have changed if the Episode was different?

Pinkazoid

27 users have voted

1. 1. Would they?

• Perhaps (Pro Twilicorn)
    • No (Pro Twilicorn)
    • No (Anti Twilicorn)
    • I don't like Twilicorn at all
    • Other....?

This occurred to me the other day.

The only reason I dislike Twilicorn is because of the way she was delivered. The episode seemed like any regular episode and suddenly-ALICORN.

Was the episode's bad? No.

Was Twilicorn bad? The show could of lived without it, but it's not necessarily bad.

The way it was delivered was horrible, the way it was solved was bad too.

What exactly made Twilight want to fix things, what encouraged her to bring her friends back to normal, besides "I gotta save the day"?

....and why was the episode so much like a certain Season 2 episode?

>Friends are out of Element

>Twilight doesn't like that

>She fixes it

At least the other episode was memorable, and it had more meaning than just "oh no, i gotta save my friends"

This episode by far is my least favorite of the whole series, not because of Twilicorn, but of how obvious the episode was a filler.

Each of the other ponies on the Mane 6 didn't get more than 9 lines all together-YET- The episode was about Friendship, and friends helping each other out.

What's the biggest problem I saw with this episode?

Since when is it ALL about Twilight. Remember, it's the Mane 6, the whole Mane 6 are the Main cast, and the only reason the series are called "FRIENDSHIP is Magic"

So far, the only reason there's Anti Twilicorns is either:

>Didn't like the Episode, thus not liking Twilicorn

>Don't like Twilicorn altogether

• Brohoof 4

This whole season was about Twilight, I think. The Crystal Empire, Magic Duel, Magical Mystery Cure etc. It was largely about her fulfilling her destiny. I do agree that the episode was rushed, but it is part one of a Three parter, so maybe an explanation will be delivered (or expanded upon) in S4.

If twilicorn was introduced better, I would be much more friendly to the idea. They really just suddenly dropped it on us at the end of the episode, and there was no decent reasoning behind the change. I came into the episode with lots of ideas about how they could do it well, but I was very disappointed.

I stand by my claims that Twilicorn and the Cutie mark switch-up could have (and should have) been their own standalone episodes. I feel they dropped the ball by trying to fit both ideas into one episode.

• Brohoof 4

I stand by my claims that Twilicorn and the Cutie mark switch-up could have (and should have) been their own standalone episodes. I feel they dropped the ball by trying to fit both ideas into one episode.

This exactly.

I loved the idea of the Mane 6 switching cutiemarks, they didn't give us much to react to besides "I'm miserable" by the rest of the Mane 6, it would of been a great episode, and I wouldn't have minded if it was the season's finale.

Twilicorn now, had nothing to do with the Cutiemark change, and how they tried to force Twilicorn into that episode, made it look like nothing but a filler, it would of much much much been better to have made the episodes separately.

They definitely should have split the episode into two. Maybe make the cutie-mark mix-up the two-part season 3 finale, while giving Twilicorn the spotlight as the first two episodes of season 4.

As it was, it had the same problem as Spiderman 3. Too many things happening to make me care deeply about any one event.

And is it just me, or are the songs there just for the sake of having songs? I was genuinely surprised and entertained by the songs in Season 1 and 2, but the ones in 3 just kind of sounded pretty meh.

• Brohoof 1

And is it just me, or are the songs there just for the sake of having songs? I was genuinely surprised and entertained by the songs in Season 1 and 2, but the ones in 3 just kind of sounded pretty meh.

It's definitely just you. The songs in Season 3 were amazing, despite being so few and far between. Anyway, I feel that Season 3's biggest shortcoming was the fact that it was so short. 13 episodes is not enough pony for one season.

(edited)

They definitely should have split the episode into two. Maybe make the cutie-mark mix-up the two-part season 3 finale, while giving Twilicorn the spotlight as the first two episodes of season 4.

As it was, it had the same problem as Spiderman 3. Too many things happening to make me care deeply about any one event.

Worst of all Pinkie didn't even have a song in this season

It's supposed to be a three parter, but they could of tried to squeeze some time in the season to make two episodes, one for the problem, and the other for the solution, like most season finales the intros to the new season :v

Edited by Francis Sparkle

(edited)

I think it would have been better if she was a princess for the second-to-last season. For example, if the show lasted 6 seasons, then she would become princess in season 5. It was also forced into the episode. 

Celestia: Hei Twilight u sulved deh puzle in one epizode u royalty nooo.

Everyone else: Yaaaayyyyyy kewl.

Edited by Dismajo
  • Brohoof 1

Worst of all Pinkie didn't even have a song in this season

It's supposed to be a three parter, but they could of tried to squeeze some time in the season to make two episodes, one for the problem, and the other for the solution, like most season finales the intros to the new season :v

I did hear that the writers were going to be continuing to explore Twilight's transformation into pony royalty in season 4. I hope they keep her flawed personality that's made us all fall in love with the show.

It's definitely just you. The songs in Season 3 were amazing, despite being so few and far between. Anyway, I feel that Season 3's biggest shortcoming was the fact that it was so short. 13 episodes is not enough pony for one season.

Well, I did like some of them. Babs Seed had heart-attack inducing Sweetie Bell with a milk shake after all. But few and far in between? I got the impression that season 3 had the highest density of songs out of all the seasons.

This season wasn't really good for me, as the season didn't feature my 3 favorite mane 6 much/at all, and Trixie wasn't really even Trixie.

Anyways, the facts my standards were lowered for this episode means it should have surprised me a bit. It didn't. It was awful. If it had more time, like removing Games That Ponies Play (Why was that even a thing?) we would have been fine. The idea was awesome. IT was just far too rushed.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I did like some of them. Babs Seed had heart-attack inducing Sweetie Bell with a milk shake after all. But few and far in between? I got the impression that season 3 had the highest density of songs out of all the seasons.

Outside of the Opener and Finale it only had two songs, Babs Seed and Raise This Barn. I think it's just the finale's abundance of songs that's making you feel that way, because Season 3 had the least amount of songs at 12 (compared to Season 1's 16 and Season 2's 14).

Outside of the Opener and Finale it only had two songs, Babs Seed and Raise This Barn. I think it's just the finale's abundance of songs that's making you feel that way, because Season 3 had the least amount of songs at 12 (compared to Season 1's 16 and Season 2's 14).

Ah, then I guess density really was the right term. The number of songs divided by the number of episodes. :lol:

Now that you mention it, the songs I liked the least were the ones in the Opener and Finale. They just sounded cheesy to my ears, but I'm a cynical bastard anyway so it probably all balances out...somewhere.

It was just too rushed. The whole reason she became an Alicorn in that episode is because she created a new form of magic. The only reason she was able to do that is because Celestia gave her Star swirled the bearded's spell book. She only gave Twi the book because she felt she was prepared for it by what she had accomplished in the past with reforming nightmare moon, defeating discord, defeating chrysalis, and by having spike save the empire despite being told by Celestia that she had to do it alone and by herself, but gave up her test to save the empire in an act of self sacrifice. The whole reason she became an Alicorn was in the episode, but it was rushed since they were given only 23 minutes. I'm a pro twilicorn, but I'll admit that it would have been a lot better if it had been expanded. It's still in my top 5 favorite episodes

Season 3 songs weren't too bad.... But they're not as good compared to Season's 1 and 2.

None of the songs were meaningful in a personal way to me. Smile Smile Smile, is about making others happy, being there for them, understanding their problems, and well, none of season's three songs spoke that directly to the viewer, but they were good, I guess.

At first I really hated the idea. However, when the synopsis was revealed I got my hopes up. An episode about cutie marks being switched? And M.A. Larson is writing it? How could this episode possibly go wrong?

And then the episode actually happened.

I tried to give Twilicorn a chance, but the episode was so awful and the reasoning behind Twilight's change was so weak, I walked away with an extremely bad first impression of Twilicorn. And it's going to take something really awesome to change my mind at this point.

• Brohoof 2

At first I really hated the idea. However, when the synopsis was revealed I got my hopes up. An episode about cutie marks being switched? And M.A. Larson is writing it? How could this episode possibly go wrong?

And then the episode actually happened.

I tried to give Twilicorn a chance, but the episode was so awful and the reasoning behind Twilight's change was so weak, I walked away with an extremely bad first impression of Twilicorn. And it's going to take something really awesome to change my mind at this point.

Yeah, I had pretty much the same experience. I hated the idea of Twilicorn ever since the rumours surfaced, but I kept telling myself to 'wait for the episode' before passing judgement. And... I thought the episode was awful, perhaps even in my bottom 5 of all time. So much for putting my faith in the writers.

At this point, I'm genuinely anxoius about season 4, which is weird for me. Before this, I was always super-excited about each upcoming episode. Canterlot Wedding? I was hyped and I loved it. Discord getting reformed? I was hyped and I loved it.

I seriously hope that the writers can blow me away once season 4 hits. I really, really don't want to have to say 'remember when the show used to be great?' That, above all else, is my biggest fear.

• Brohoof 1

That depends on how the episode would have been different I can't possibly see them pulling it off in only one episode so I think it would have to be a two parter. I know that this is going to be continued in the season 4 premier which is going to be a two parter, but that still dosen't change the abrupt and rushed nature of this change and the fact that the writers are going to have to throw down some serious creative gymnastics to smooth this over. The cutie mark switching was a good idea but should have been its own episode which lead up to part 2 where Twilight becomes an alicorn and the amount of songs was heavy handed and detracted from the story instead of complimenting it. Then we can at least go into the season 4 premier two parter from a point of strength where we have Twilight adjusting to this change and perhaps a new villain or some other kind of emergency.

• 2 months later...

If the episode was;

1. Longer and an official three-parter

2. If this change was positively, absolutely, and undeniably temporary.

Only then will I might have given Twilicorn a chance.

Were there things that the episode could have done/not done to make me more accepting of the idea? Sure. Presentation is very important, and while I'm not sure if a single episode (regardless of what was done with it) could make me entirely on board with the change, there were a few things that I can think of that would have assuaged my worries rather than amplifying them. Still, I don't write for a living and most everyone else seems to think that things were fantastic, so eh.

I think the episode was great! What exactly do you mean by saying that "At least the other episode was memorable, and it had more meaning than just 'oh no, i gotta save my friends'"?

First of all, isn't that enough meaning as it is? Did you see how miserable her friends were with their new destinies? I really don't see the similarity you're trying to make with "Return of Harmony". Key differences here:

1. RoH: Not Twilight's fault. MMC: Twilight's fault.

2. RoH: Friends had opposite characteristics. MMC: Friends had same characteristics.

3. RoH: Friends became temporary antagonists. MMC: Friends remained protagonists.

I think the episode is brilliant. It opens the door to so much (and amazing music throughout). Just check out this topic to see just one of the things this episode has opened the door to. I'm really excited for the next two parts of this series.

About your question: I suppose I could have been opposed to Twilicorn if it had been presented badly.

• Brohoof 1

Of course they would. How they not? My opinion was solely based upon how they presented the episode. My views about the episode would have to change if the episode changed. Just as my views of the narrative of the show as a whole builds and changes as the show progresses. 

No, my views would stay the same. The way the episode was presented and how it ended would show how I feel about the episode itself. I think that the episode still left a bad taste in everyone's mouth but, I don't think it really matters.