Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Personally, I prefer the air.

Twi Rubix

CwutIdidthere?

So we have trains that is land travel, but what about air travel?

For Unicorns and Earth ponies, air can be another mode of transportation. It could be human like planes, or clouds that can be pushed by pegasi.

What are your ideas?

They also have flying yachts as seen in Sweet and Elite

post-28-0-74169900-1327981696_thumb.png

post-28-0-32494300-1327981812_thumb.png

One thing I don't get, though, is how those flippers help them move :P

I would think they'd need windmill-like propellers...

Balloon.

[...]

Pinkie Copter.

[...]

Chariot pulled by pegasi. There's several options.

Balloon: When I first saw that, some part of me was thinking: They've got about a 30% of both getting Rainbow Dash's neck and breaking it when they lasso her...

Some cruel part of me realizes that if Gilda stuck her hand into the rotating blades of a flying helicopter IRL, it would go differently...

CwutIdidthere?

So we have trains that is land travel, but what about air travel?

For Unicorns and Earth ponies, air can be another mode of transportation. It could be human like planes, or clouds that can be pushed by pegasi.

What are your ideas?

Only Pegasi can stand on clouds. Unless unicorns or Earth ponies are enchanted, like Twilight did, they'd fall right through them. (remember when they step out of the balloon in episode 16)

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Only Pegasi can stand on clouds. Unless unicorns or Earth ponies are enchanted, like Twilight did, they'd fall right through them. (remember when they step out of the balloon in episode 16)

Could they enchant the cloud? If so it would be a great means of transportation, it already stays afloat. You'd just need a couple of Pegasi and maybe a unicorn to keep it enchanted.

They also have flying yachts as seen in Sweet and Elite

post-28-0-74169900-1327981696_thumb.png

post-28-0-32494300-1327981812_thumb.png

Holy Celestia that's a cool looking yacht.

I suppose you could also count magicked up wings by a Unicorn too. They may be crappy but hey, they work(ed).

Posted Image

Could they enchant the cloud? If so it would be a great means of transportation, it already stays afloat. You'd just need a couple of Pegasi and maybe a unicorn to keep it enchanted.

Hmm... I dunno. But we do know for sure they can enchant ponies to stand on the clouds. So they could always have a unicorn and a pegasi "pilot"/run the cloud. One enchants passengers so they can ride, and the other flies the cloud. Makes air travel more expensive, but it's better than impossible. And I can imagine it'd still be a great deal cheaper than modern pressurized-cabin, fuel consumming jet aircraft. It'd probably be more like bus fare.

Once again, magic beats technology...

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Zeppelins are not all that otherworldly.

Posted Image

I think the air-yachts/ships kinda take their place.

But blimps aren't all that otherworldly. But Nazi Zeppelins are, lol.

Blimps, ballons, and zepplins and other similar technology could be used for flight, especially with the aid of magic of the unicorns and the flight of the pegasi.

• Brohoof 1

I love the idea of blimps and zepplins soaring through the skies above Equestria, ferrying cargo and ponies to their various destinations. It's so steampunkish.

So that's what has my vote. We haven't seen anything resembling a winged airplane, so I don't quite think they have those. Nor do they really need them either. If they need small, one pony vehicles, those vehicles could be ferried by Pegasi, like a sky carriage basically.

Blimps, ballons, and zepplins and other similar technology could be used for flight, especially with the aid of magic of the unicorns and the flight of the pegasi.

*Cue flight of the valkeryies*

"Pegasi! Not valkeryies!"

*Start playing flight of the valkeryies but with more bass, trumpet, and an electric guitar*

Not necessarily. The balloons, I think use hot air. I guess you could use helium, too, though, since it wouldn't come out the hole on the bottom. Anyone remember if there's any heat source on the balloon?

I love the idea of blimps and zepplins soaring through the skies above Equestria, ferrying cargo and ponies to their various destinations. It's so steampunkish.

So that's what has my vote. We haven't seen anything resembling a winged airplane, so I don't quite think they have those. Nor do they really need them either. If they need small, one pony vehicles, those vehicles could be ferried by Pegasi, like a sky carriage basically.

Oh yes, I started a small fanfic about Trixie, and in it I was going to have "Brighton", a thriving economic city, the hub of air traffic, like a major seaport but the ships have balloons on top, like the yachts on "Sweet and Elite". Now I'm thinking of making that Manehatten in EASA - A Last Hope.

Not a sky carriage, but sky chariots pulled by pegasi are canon, from Episode 1 and a few others, IIRC. Also, on "Pinkie Keen" Fluttershy was pulling a sky cart full of frogs.

(When I saw that it bothered me, though, since nothing was holding it up in the back it should've fallen back so Fluttershy (the source of lift) was directly over the cart like this. Same goes for Pegasi chariots, actually, now that I think about it... If physics were accurate, either pegasi would carry things in a bag-like thing directly under them, or you'd need at least one in front and one in back. It's like holding a rope up by one end, the other end will slack straight towards the ground.)

*Cue flight of the valkeryies*

"Pegasi! Not valkeryies!"

*Start playing flight of the valkeryies but with more bass, trumpet, and an electric guitar*

Not necessarily. The balloons, I think use hot air. I guess you could use helium, too, though, since it wouldn't come out the hole on the bottom. Anyone remember if there's any heat source on the balloon?

I said that the unicorns and pegasi could help with the flight, not be the source of it, to improve many areas of the ballons and whatnot.

Oh yes, I started a small fanfic about Trixie, and in it I was going to have "Brighton", a thriving economic city, the hub of air traffic, like a major seaport but the ships have balloons on top, like the yachts on "Sweet and Elite". Now I'm thinking of making that Manehatten in EASA - A Last Hope.

That sounds rather awesome actually. And wait...is EASA that space-related fic I keep seeing in updates on EQ Daily? If it is, after hearing this I'll definitely check it out. Heck I'll probably check out your story even if it isn't the one I'm thinking of.

Not a sky carriage, but sky chariots pulled by pegasi are canon, from Episode 1 and a few others, IIRC. Also, on "Pinkie Keen" Fluttershy was pulling a sky cart full of frogs.

(When I saw that it bothered me, though, since nothing was holding it up in the back it should've fallen back so Fluttershy (the source of lift) was directly over the cart like this. Same goes for Pegasi chariots, actually, now that I think about it... If physics were accurate, either pegasi would carry things in a bag-like thing directly under them, or you'd need at least one in front and one in back. It's like holding a rope up by one end, the other end will slack straight towards the ground.)

Yes, well, um...

It's possible that Pegasi flight creates a sort of...I'm not sure if air bubble is the right word, perhaps I mean cushion...but basically it surrounds the Pegasus, especially behind them, so that they can carry things better than they would be able to otherwise from the physics of it. I realize this is basically just saying "it's magic" but I'm hoping the idea is remotely plausible sounding, a reason for why Pegasi flight magic would work that way.

I said that the unicorns and pegasi could help with the flight, not be the source of it, to improve many areas of the ballons and whatnot.

Oh, I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about how balloons use hot air, but zeppelins and blimps use hydrogen or helium. They're all lighter-than-air aircraft, but there's heating air, or using a different kind of air. And that second category has hydrogen or helium.

That sounds rather awesome actually. And wait...is EASA that space-related fic I keep seeing in updates on EQ Daily? If it is, after hearing this I'll definitely check it out. Heck I'll probably check out your story even if it isn't the one I'm thinking of.

Yes, well, um...

It's possible that Pegasi flight creates a sort of...I'm not sure if air bubble is the right word, perhaps I mean cushion...but basically it surrounds the Pegasus, especially behind them, so that they can carry things better than they would be able to otherwise from the physics of it. I realize this is basically just saying "it's magic" but I'm hoping the idea is remotely plausible sounding, a reason for why Pegasi flight magic would work that way.

*GASP*

You're going to read it and maybe even comment on it!?

Posted Image

I get excited when I think someone's gonna look at it... >.>

Be sure to reply here! http://mlpforums.com...sa-a-last-hope/

No replies yet! D'':

Posted Image

What am I doing wrong?

Posted Image

Maybe it's the intro. Was it the part of scootalo?

Should I have not included that? Maybe there's too much science!

Or maybe I need to add Luna.

Is the scene with Dr. Braun too boring?

Do the science fiction references throw people off?

"Such a drama queen king!"

EDIT:

Forgot to reply to the other part of your reply...

No. There's all kinds of terbulence patterns that are possible, so it's conceivable, but not with nearly the amount of force needed to keep a big wooden cart airborne.

We'll just say they figured it out somehow and it works and move on :P lol.

Heavier-than-air travel?

So ungainly.

Lol, reminds me of the Hunstville Space and Rocket Center; We had just watched an imax show about how elegent gliding and lightweight flying was, and right outside the imax theatre was the huntsville space and rocket all about rockets, and flight with no lift at all, but pure brute force (rockets) :P

But then again, spaceflight is unpowered gliding. Orbits are: you're going so fast you miss the ground, essentially. So is that lighter than air or heavier than air travel?...

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, well, um...

Well, flying at transonic speeds can create areas of low pressure around the flying vehicle/pony, but that's an area of low atmospheric pressure which I don't think would really make things weigh less.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Zeppelins are not all that otherworldly.

Oh THE humanity!

Jokes aside, I wanted to say that unicorns also use royal coaches, but marco beat me to it.

Well, flying at transonic speeds can create areas of low pressure around the flying vehicle/pony, but that's an area of low atmospheric pressure which I don't think would really make things weigh less.

Not to mention that would only form AT transonic speeds, which isn't the speed we've been seeing the Pegasi that carry around carts and chariots flying at.

So yes, I have no idea how they're carrying those without the carts or chariots falling.

Air ships? Someone already said balloons and yachts which we've seen. I imagine that since boy ponies pull wagons, carriages, trains, and Celestria, boy Pegasi would do the same (Celestia's chariot ie).