Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do I ask to go to a convention?

Sanic Screwdriver

Now recently my brother has learned I'm a brony and my mom and sis will find out next time my sister uses netflix XD now this is later down the road but if I decide to go to a convention how do I ask my mom to go to one. I'm only 13 so she'll have to drive me and I feel this would be taking my weirdness to the next level to her XD Also should I try to find someone to go with me? I would really prefer my mom not walking around with me at a brony convention hahaha. Thanks!

Well, if your mom doesn't know you like mlp, I say you should tell her you watch it. Tell her that there's a whole community of people just like you all around the world, so she won't think you're the odd one out. Then, ask her about Bronycon.

If you want to hang out with some people on the forums, you can look here:
http://mlpforums.com/topic/46981-bronycon-2013-meetup-planning-thread/

Good luck.

(Fucking phone.)

Edited by Link
  • Brohoof 3

Also does anyone have any advice for going to conventions? Like how much money I should bring, cool things I should try there, etc.

Well, I your mom doesn't know you like mlp, I say you should tell her you watch it. Tell her that there's a whole community of people just like you all around the world, apache won't think you're the odd one out. Then, ask her about Bronycon.

If you want to hang out with some people on the forums, you can look here:
http://mlpforums.com/topic/46981-bronycon-2013-meetup-planning-thread/

Good luck.

Well I've watched it on netflix so my big sister will probably  tell my mom but even so my facebook profile pic is an mlp pic so they'll know soon, anyways thanks for the advice!

Do you live anywhere near where a convention is going to be held? If so then you can just go... but if you are only 13 then I recommend that someone go with you, since you are a bit young to be going all by yourself.

As for how much money to take with you? Well first you have to make sure that you purchased your badge. I know that Bronycon only takes preregistrations but other conventions will take registrations at the convention. Then you will need to make sure that you have enough money for food (at least 3 meals per day) plus extra spending money for swag. And believe me, you will want as much pony swag as your eyes can see. But spend your money wisely.

At cons there are lots of panels. The convention will usually have a schedule of different events posted ahead of time so you can plan your personal schedule accordingly. You will also want to save some time to spend money on pony swag that different vendors will have, as well as regular talented pony fans who are selling their homemade stuff. Think about when you will be eating your meals, as well as your sleep schedule.

I have been going to cons since 2009, so I have lots of advice for first-time con-goers. :3

• Brohoof 1

Do you live anywhere near where a convention is going to be held? If so then you can just go... but if you are only 13 then I recommend that someone go with you, since you are a bit young to be going all by yourself.

As for how much money to take with you? Well first you have to make sure that you purchased your badge. I know that Bronycon only takes preregistrations but other conventions will take registrations at the convention. Then you will need to make sure that you have enough money for food (at least 3 meals per day) plus extra spending money for swag. And believe me, you will want as much pony swag as your eyes can see. But spend your money wisely.

At cons there are lots of panels. The convention will usually have a schedule of different events posted ahead of time so you can plan your personal schedule accordingly. You will also want to save some time to spend money on pony swag that different vendors will have, as well as regular talented pony fans who are selling their homemade stuff. Think about when you will be eating your meals, as well as your sleep schedule.

I have been going to cons since 2009, so I have lots of advice for first-time con-goers. :3

Thanks a lot! I'm excited  and I'm moving to virginia soon so if I decide to go from where I'll live it will be a short-ish drive not short but no where near long. So now the only thing hindering my going to bronycan is convincing my mother, overcoming my fear of asking her to take me, getting money, and finding a brony to take with me. Wish me luck 0.0 If not there is always next year. Also I just checked ticket prices and its expensive, not to mention its barely over a month after my birthday which takes away the $40.00 price and moves it up to $70.00 Brony con will have to be a birthday present or something.

Thanks a lot! I'm excited and I'm moving to virginia soon so if I decide to go from where I'll live it will be a short-ish drive not short but no where near long. So now the only thing hindering my going to bronycan is convincing my mother, overcoming my fear of asking her to take me, getting money, and finding a brony to take with me. Wish me luck 0.0 If not there is always next year. Also I just checked ticket prices and its expensive, not to mention its barely over a month after my birthday which takes away the $40.00 price and moves it up to $70.00 Brony con will have to be a birthday present or something.

Yup, conventions are expensive. A standard weekend pass at my local anime convention is at least $50, and I pay $120 every year for the platinum special badge. You could find a way to make some cash, like babysitting or getting a paper route.

And it is even more expensive to stay the night at one of the hotels in the area. So maybe you won't want to do that.

• Brohoof 1

My parents won't even let me get merch :(

so there's no point in asking about bronycon for me :(

Plus my dad says no to basically everything you ask him for (yes even if your paying with your own money) and my mom always says "ask your dad" or "no"

Oh that's easy.Get your youngest uncle to become a brony, and go with him. I think I may actually try that, considering I don't think my parents would like the show too much. If you have siblings that drive, that works too.

Yup, conventions are expensive. A standard weekend pass at my local anime convention is at least $50, and I pay $120 every year for the platinum special badge. You could find a way to make some cash, like babysitting or getting a paper route.

And it is even more expensive to stay the night at one of the hotels in the area. So maybe you won't want to do that.

Yeah I think brony can 2013 may be out of the question but if my cards are played right and I'm lucky and my mom is nice (which she probably will be) I may be able to go next year! :)

I went to Equestria LA with my mom and she was shocked by all the adult male fans. I laughed when she saw that their were more guys then girls at the convention. But I believe that she had a good time. I brohoofed DustyKatt, I sang with Solrac, Gangnam styled in the panel room, and played the alpha version of fighting is magic. Overall the day was pretty awesome. Recommendations on how much money you should bring atleast $100 to the con and the purchase of the 3 badges if your going to bring a friend so atleast $175 to $250 minimum.

• Brohoof 1

Also does anyone have any advice for going to conventions? Like how much money I should bring, cool things I should try there, etc.

Well I've watched it on netflix so my big sister will probably  tell my mom but even so my facebook profile pic is an mlp pic so they'll know soon, anyways thanks for the advice!

I've never been to a brony convention, but I've gone to quite a few anime ones. I'll give this advice. Be very careful of your money. If you're not wise, you'll end up spending everything and end up with stuff you may look at later and wonder why you bought it.

Cosplay is always fun. You could make a quick yoke to wear around your neck  and go around saying EeYup at people

LOL!

If there are voice artist panels, those are a MUST! If you find out who's going to be there, save yourself some money by bringing something for them to sign instead of buying it at the con. With anime that's a bit easier. I have a whole bunch of DVD inserts,  the actual discs themselves, and plastic pencil boards that I've had autographed by both Japanese and English voice actors.

Wow what a fail on my behalf, i posted what i was meant to post in the Youtube video master thread. Well this is embarrassing. 

You'll probably find that your mum finding out the fact that you're a brony will come as a little bit of a surprise at first but it wont bother her. Just explain that it's something you really like and would love to participate in. 

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

As a general budgetary warning, food at conventions can be tricky. Most conventions are held in hotels, which usually have a restaurant, but the prices are likely higher than you are expecting. Hotels treat customers at the restaurant as a captive audience, as other food sources are usually far enough away to be annoying.

For your first con, given your specific circumstances, honestly I would recommend going to a more general con like a sci-fi/fantasy/comic con, than a specialty one like a bronycon, simply because it will be easier to explain to whichever guardian that will be coming with you, and there might be stuff there that *they* will be interested in as well. Once they're more used the concept, it will be easier to broach the specialty con. Given the size and... vocal nature... of bronies, there will likely be brony events and parties at your local sci-fi/fantasy con. If nothing else, post here about which con you're going to and you may be able to organize a meetup there.

when i was 14-15 got my parent to let me go by setting up a group that would be with the whole con

so i guess try to find friends that have the same interest

plan it all out and then ask your parents if you can go

have answers ready if they ask question like a list of people in the group, where it is, hotel if you plan to say longer than one day, etc.

this will show them you are responsible and give you a better chance of them agreeing to let you

• Brohoof 1

thanks :) do u know how i could ask and convince my mom to let me go? I'm just wondering. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks for all the help

thanks smile.png do u know how i could ask and convince my mom to let me go? I'm just wondering. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks for all the help

No problem! Glad to help. :3

As for your mom... well, she would first need to know that you are a brony. There is plenty of advice out there for telling your parents that you are a brony, but the main advice that I would recommend for that is not to make it a big deal. Casually do something to hint at your bronyness. Introduce it slowly and casually, not like you're about to tell her a big secret.

After she is used to the fact that you like the show, then you can start telling her about Bronycon. Again, you may want to start hinting at the existence of Bronycon before you actually ask if you want to go. There is a particular persuasive technique called "foot-in-the-door," where you start your persuasion by putting your foot in the right door, and then allowing your mother to open it as she sees comfortable, or you open it slowly so to not scare your mother.

It is going to be a process to convince her to allow you to go, if you succeed. You have to be patient if it is going to work. But that one kid in the Brony Documentary convinced his parents to let him go, and even convinced his dad to go with him. One of my favorite moments in the documentary is when that kid's dad talks to another kid's dad about their sons' bronyness. The other dad was more open about it, so he was able to talk to the other dad, as a dad, about his feelings. In the end, the first kid's dad finally saw an episode of the show and he kind of liked it! So you never know what might happen. :)

Good luck!

• Brohoof 1

I say it would be better to, tell her that you are a brony. See how it goes then, play it cool and stay collective. I would have to say, start out by showing her some episodes. When she feels comfortable, show her the history of the show and the bronies. Then finally, seal the deal by showing her how conventions work and ask her.

No problem! Glad to help. :3

As for your mom... well, she would first need to know that you are a brony. There is plenty of advice out there for telling your parents that you are a brony, but the main advice that I would recommend for that is not to make it a big deal. Casually do something to hint at your bronyness. Introduce it slowly and casually, not like you're about to tell her a big secret.

After she is used to the fact that you like the show, then you can start telling her about Bronycon. Again, you may want to start hinting at the existence of Bronycon before you actually ask if you want to go. There is a particular persuasive technique called "foot-in-the-door," where you start your persuasion by putting your foot in the right door, and then allowing your mother to open it as she sees comfortable, or you open it slowly so to not scare your mother.

It is going to be a process to convince her to allow you to go, if you succeed. You have to be patient if it is going to work. But that one kid in the Brony Documentary convinced his parents to let him go, and even convinced his dad to go with him. One of my favorite moments in the documentary is when that kid's dad talks to another kid's dad about their sons' bronyness. The other dad was more open about it, so he was able to talk to the other dad, as a dad, about his feelings. In the end, the first kid's dad finally saw an episode of the show and he kind of liked it! So you never know what might happen. smile.png

Good luck!

I say it would be better to, tell her that you are a brony. See how it goes then, play it cool and stay collective. I would have to say, start out by showing her some episodes. When she feels comfortable, show her the history of the show and the bronies. Then finally, seal the deal by showing her how conventions work and ask her.

Thanks guys! I don't really hide the fact im a brony anymore for the most part. She'll find out soon. Also I want to start going to not only brony conventions but also anime cons, my mom will except my nerdyness lol

Oh honey you will be fine at the con (I've been going to cons since I was 5, more then likely younger.) and if your mom going is an issue you could see about showing your siblings the show, they may like it. As far as money the con has a website you can go to to see ticket prices an some venders will post stuff on there and you can get an idea of what you want and budget from there. The website will also tell you about deals on tickets so you can save a little. 

Thanks guys! I don't really hide the fact im a brony anymore for the most part. She'll find out soon. Also I want to start going to not only brony conventions but also anime cons, my mom will except my nerdyness lol

Fun! You might want to limit the number you go to though, because it gets expensive. Were you thinking of Otakon in Baltimore as well? :)

Fun! You might want to limit the number you go to though, because it gets expensive. Were you thinking of Otakon in Baltimore as well? smile.png

Well I'm moving in June and by that time I'll be living under 2 hours away so maybe, the problem is, I'm moving so I'd have like 2 months/ slightly less than 2 months to find a friend who loves anime also and become close enough friends with him to take him to a convention :/ but if I can't pull that off, there are always other conventions and next year :) Also what do you think about cosplay and are you going to/ do you cosplay? If so who as? :D

Cosplay is awesome. I cosplayed Maka from Soul Eater in 2011 at Youmacon. That was fun, and I got a lot of random compliments from people, and a lot of people going, "Hey look it's Maka! Hi Maka!" :)

Last year I curled my hair and wore a Rarity t-shirt and white jeans and did my make-up like Rarity. I am not sure if anyone really noticed but I couldn't afford to do an all-out cosplay last year so whatever.

Most of the time at cons I just wear nerdy and relevant t-shirts and jeans. I like to be comfortable. :)

• Brohoof 1

Cosplay is awesome. I cosplayed Maka from Soul Eater in 2011 at Youmacon. That was fun, and I got a lot of random compliments from people, and a lot of people going, "Hey look it's Maka! Hi Maka!" smile.png

Last year I curled my hair and wore a Rarity t-shirt and white jeans and did my make-up like Rarity. I am not sure if anyone really noticed but I couldn't afford to do an all-out cosplay last year so whatever.

Most of the time at cons I just wear nerdy and relevant t-shirts and jeans. I like to be comfortable. smile.png

I probably wont cosplay to my first convention. also I heard somwhere not to go to a BIG con as your first one., Any input on that?