General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

No catastrophic computer failures...?

I had the motherboard in my last desktop get fried. That happened after great misuse of my computer, and 4 years of use.

No catastrophic computer failures...?

our Windows XP's motherboard died due to a power-outage, then later on, the CPU and GPU started to fail. i've had an old computer which unfortunately had either Windows 2000 or ME on it. naturally, problems arose eventually. our Windows 98 had a harddrive failure which had to result in wiping the drive clean from all data there ever was on it. we had a Windows 95 whose screen broke down. my mom's got a laptop which had a battery failure, my brother's computer got infected and had to be wiped...

not a good history of computers in my family.

I just caused my computer to crash and have to reboot itself all thanks to Doom!

FML

-------

How do you know?

I'm just taking a guess on how I see it.

Dashie is fast, but I don't see her keeping up with Sonic especially as Super/Hyper Sonic.

Neither of those two can make it around the world in a matter of seconds. Well, maybe Sonic with the help of the Chaos Emeralds in one of his better forms, but considering he'd still need some sort of outside help, I say Flash wins.

Ps, I'm not into superheros or Sonic all that much, so this is coming from my little knowledge of both.

How do you know?

NewCalamity has 666 brohooves.

When I was scrolling up and down, I read your sig and post as "Life divided by 666."

not a good history of computers in my family.

Let's see...

My first-ever computer was a 90s-era Mac, handed down from my relatives up north. My dad threw it away the moment we got our first Windows computer. Specs: 128MB RAM, 2.4GHz processor, 40GB hard drive, 2 USB 2.0 ports. That was 2003, and it still lives to this day, or rather, it will cease to exist once I get my new computer built and I reuse its HDD as a low-level backup drive. That was my computer (and the family's only computer) for the longest time.

My third computer was the Turnip; It was a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista. It had an OS corruption back in 2010, but it was swiftly fixed. My fourth computer was the Potato; An HP Windows 7 laptop that was supposed to be for my dad, but I took it because I wanted to be the one with the most powerful computer. It died last Friday from what could be another hard drive failure or a corrupted OS.

Specs of all those was around 200-300GB HDD, 4GB RAM, and 2GHz processor. I need about twice as much power than that.

My 4 1/2 computer is my brother's laptop. Same specs as the Turnip. It's the computer that I have left to use until I get my computer build up and running (at least 4GB RAM and 2GHz processor, eventually aiming for 16GB RAM and 3+GHz processor).

Actually, our biggest problem is even having just one computer in the family, but the thing is, we can't really share when more than one of us has academic priorities...

-----

Question: What was your first computer?

I just caused my computer to crash and have to reboot itself all thanks to Doom!

How and what kind of specs did you have? 

I like the one on the far right!

Trying to wrap my head around both, because even though I enjoyed watching the Powerpuff Girls as a kid, I can't remember squat about Yu-Gi-Oh...

Edited by TzHaar-Hur-Ganaram

I'm just taking a guess on how I see it.

Dashie is fast, but I don't see her keeping up with Sonic especially as Super/Hyper Sonic.

Neither of those two can make it around the world in a matter of seconds. Well, maybe Sonic with the help of the Chaos Emeralds in one of his better forms, but considering he'd still need some sort of outside help, I say Flash wins.

Ps, I'm not into superheros or Sonic all that much, so this is coming from my little knowledge of both.

Well, I ended up doing some calculations, and this is what I found out. This is admittedly based on lots of assumptions and possibly questionable internet research. Not to mention I also am not very good at math, so it's completely possible that this is all totally wrong and I'm way off

Sonic (without transformations): 2,301 MPH

Sonic (with transformations): 9,203 MPH

The Flash: 2,682,466,516 MPH

Rainbow Dash (during Sonic Rainboom): 5,886,000 MPH

And for fun, I also added Superman into the mix

Superman (flying within the Earth's atmosphere): 60,000 MPH

Superman (flying in space): 300,000,000  MPH

Superman (running): 30,000 MPH

Edited by Jack0vAllTrades
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I ended up doing some calculations, and this is what I found out. This is admittedly based on lots of assumptions and possibly questionable internet research, so it's possible this is all totally wrong

Vsauce3 (Yes, there's a third Vsauce channel) investigated the physics behind Sonic. Somewhat unrelated, but fun is in the overanalysis.

The question becomes, what kind of energy (or rather, how much food) would it take to maintain such speeds?

Edited by TzHaar-Hur-Ganaram