Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

The Princess Bride. Never watched it before and I didn't think I'd like it all that much, but no, I really enjoyed it.

• Brohoof 1

Dungeons and Dragons Honor Among Thieves

Did not realize it was a comedy but I really enjoyed it and though I've never even played D&D I recognized a lot of stuff and it was fun to see. Only "bad" part was that I guessed almost everything that was going to happen before it did but that didn't really bother me.

I saw John Wick Chapter 4 and the Mario Bros movie. John Wick was good - I liked it more than part 3. I had a good time with Mario (that sounds strange out of context). Not perfect, but I was quite happy with what I saw.

Suzume (Suzume no Tojimari) 2023. This is the newest movie from Makoto Shinkai (Your Name, Weathering With You) and I liked it. It wasn’t as good as Your Name, but better than Weathering With You, both as expected. I saw the dubbed version but I’m looking forward to hearing the original cast when it comes to dvd. (Spoilers ahead) The direction, artwork and characters are all outstanding, and the plot is very engrossing. When I was watching it I got the impression that Shinkai was going for a travel movie as the main characters travelled Japan on a mission to close a series of other-dimensional doors through which bad stuff came to wreak havoc on the world. As just a travel movie, with its different vignettes and characters along the way, this would have been fine. Or as an adventure movie focused strictly on the characters closing these mystical doors, it would have worked very well. I think Shinkai would have benefitted from making one type of movie and not try to squeeze both of these ideas into one. When these different approaches are combined it dilutes the focus of the plot and makes the movie seem over-long and just a little convoluted. But all that aside, it was fun and I can’t deny it. I liked Suzume and her group of friends, which were well written and believable. Shinkai is definitely the best in the biz right now as far as anime features are concerned, and has taken his place as the new Miyazaki, to whom he makes several respectful nods in this movie.

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023). I was so looking forward to this movie, and when I saw it I was soooo disappointed. I mean, this is a no-brainer; take a fantasy world, put together a group of thieves of various sorts, toss in a dragon or two and a vague sense of plot and you’re good to go. But rather than follow this simple but satisfying recipe, the filmmakers sabotaged the movie again and again with one token woke nod after another until I felt I was being indoctrinated with propaganda rather than watching entertainment. You can’t create art if you have to conform to a checklist handed down by the board room. It’s stifling, unnatural and forced, and it kills every movie it infects. And imposing personal bias into everything automatically alienates a large portion of the paying public. Nobody likes that, and even if you agree with the opinions being imposed it’s still bad art to use a fun fantasy movie to force feed the public. People will simply stop going to the movies. When Top Gun: Maverick came out last year it was a huge hit, and guess what? No woke agendas, just fun entertainment. Hmmm, I wonder if there’s a connection…

65 (2023). (More spoilers) Okay, this movie is either great or awful, depending on what you want to get from a story combining sci-fi and dinosaurs. I expected some cheesy, campy entertainment, and while I got exactly that, the fact that it had me in stitches laughing at it probably wasn’t the intention of the filmmakers. I don’t mind if it’s dumb, or even absurdly far-fetched in its plot (which seems to have gone before the cameras without ever finishing the writing phase), but by the end, it gets to be a bit much for even the most undiscerning viewer. The idea is to build up tension and suspense toward the finale, but when things are at their most perilous, and escape is just inches from reach, everybody stops what they’re doing for a not-so-quick moment to explore their feelings together, allowing a pursuing T-Rex to close the distance. And then they go running away from the ship that’ll take them to safety in order to fight a dinosaur that’s gonna die as soon as an imminent asteroid strikes. That’s when I started laughing. I know they wanted to have a cool battle with the T-Rex but dang, get on the freakin’ ship, an asteroid is about to wipe out all life on the planet! :crackle:Explore our emotions: check! Run away from safety: check! Create inadvertent comedy through inept writing: check! Now get on the fucking ship and roll the credits!

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023). I was so looking forward to this movie, and when I saw it I was soooo disappointed. I mean, this is a no-brainer; take a fantasy world, put together a group of thieves of various sorts, toss in a dragon or two and a vague sense of plot and you’re good to go. But rather than follow this simple but satisfying recipe, the filmmakers sabotaged the movie again and again with one token woke nod after another until I felt I was being indoctrinated with propaganda rather than watching entertainment. You can’t create art if you have to conform to a checklist handed down by the board room. It’s stifling, unnatural and forced, and it kills every movie it infects. And imposing personal bias into everything automatically alienates a large portion of the paying public. Nobody likes that, and even if you agree with the opinions being imposed it’s still bad art to use a fun fantasy movie to force feed the public. People will simply stop going to the movies. When Top Gun: Maverick came out last year it was a huge hit, and guess what? No woke agendas, just fun entertainment. Hmmm, I wonder if there’s a connection…

Really? I didn't get any of that. It was just fun and lots of cool stuff I recognized from what I know of D&D.

Suzume is playing in theaters now. I probably won't get out to see it but I'll watch it eventually.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Really? I didn't get any of that. It was just fun and lots of cool stuff I recognized from what I know of D&D.

I’m glad you didn’t find it distracting. I kept trying to ignore it but after a while I was so soured on the experience I couldn’t do it anymore. Some clichés I can deal with; like all the female characters doing all the butt-kicking while the weak little men cower behind them. But the scene with Holga (Michelle Rodriguez) and her ex, a proper little lapdog dominated by butch females would have been laughable if it wasn’t so disgusting. I was wondering if it was being played for laughs but it wasn’t. And it isn’t racist to be tired of EVERY couple being interracial; it’s another cliché by the woke and it’s getting old. It shouldn’t be taboo to show a black couple or a white couple or an Asian couple once in a while. And while these matters shouldn’t be a big distraction, every movie, TV show and commercial is inundated with it, and I feel like I’m being manipulated and not entertained.