Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do we still Love and Tolerate?

AppleJared

Love and Tolerate  

73 users have voted

1. 1. Do you practive Love and Toleration in your life?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kinda

First of all, this is the textbook TL;DR. You have been warned.

I came here today after conversing with some fellow bronies on campus. After a long, drawn out and very logical and yet philosophical debate, we asked ourselves "what happened to Love and Tolerate?" It's pretty much common for bronies that I know to literally become more loving and tolerant and generally more happy after becoming a fan of MLP. I really believed all of "us" to be this way.

Then I came to places like these. I'm certainly not bashing anyone and this isn't any passive-aggressive crap, but my eyes have been opened to the fact that bronies as a whole are not about "Love and Tolerate", especially on the interwebs. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I figured it out, but I was literally kinda depressed about it for a few days. I really thought bronies as a whole were striving to become better by adopting the L&T lifestyle. For the most part, I was wrong.

I think we can be better than that. Bronies by definition are different from "normal" society, so why not be better than "normal" society? I'm not asking that you sell all of your guns, refuse to join the military, or never defend yourself because honestly, I wouldn't want you to do any of those. I'm just wondering if we can spew a little less hate, be a little more forgiving, throw a little less fire at others, and generally be more positive.

For instance, if someone believes in a certain religion, why is it seemingly instinct to verbally abuse them? (Same with non-religious persons). Just because you don't agree with something you attack it? Why jump on the hate-bandwagon, when most people who do, don't even know what they're defending or attacking for that matter. Why can't bronies have a calm peaceful debate on religion instead. Hell, if we can't do that, what hope does the rest of the world have to doing the same? None. The world has no hope of peace if bronies cannot have peace amongst themselves.

Here's the funny part. I am a walking paradox. There are certain things in the world I cannot tolerate. I admit it. Here's the difference though, I TRY to tolerate them. I really give effort to changing for the better not only for myself, but for my fellow bronies as well, if not the entire world. I'm not saying I'm better than everyone, because I'm clearly not better than everyone. However, I am inclined to think that those who try to L&T are better than the majority of people in general.

Here's where the debate part begins. What do you think about Love and Tolerate? How do you (or do not) apply it to your life and why? If you have, tell me and the rest of the pony-world what the results of doing so in your life.

To me, it doesn't really matter if you respond or not, so long as I got you to think, this thread has already been a success. Thank you for your time,

-AppleJared

• Brohoof 8

You know, I got the same initial reaction on some of the things that I've read since I've found these forums. And it isn't all on here either, its all over the internet. To be fair, I always got this feeling that people can sometimes have a different personality online than they do in real life. Maybe this is the case with some bronies, although I have no idea.

But back to your main point, love and tolerate isn't something I learned from watching My Little Pony. Sure, I know it is perhaps the main theme of the entire show, but I've supported the idea of love and tolerate way before I had ever heard of the show. 

I was and always will be an open minded person, and I won't judge people based on their beliefs, likes, or whatever it may be. Everybody is unique in their own way, and I believe in embracing this uniqueness. And I understand that certain things may at first seem puzzling and bizarre, but I give things time before I assume I really don't like someone or something. And even if I don't like someone or something, doesn't mean I won't respect it.

I try to be kind and supportive to everybody, try my best to help others if they are feeling down or have a problem, try to make people smile if they're having a bad day, and basically try to make the world a more lighthearted one than the sometimes depressing reality we have to endure. 

So do I love and tolerate? 

You bet I do.

And I definitely will love and tolerate the s*** out of you. 

wink.png img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

But back to your main point, love and tolerate isn't something I learned from watching My Little Pony. Sure, I know it is perhaps the main theme of the entire show, but I've supported the idea of love and tolerate way before I had ever heard of the show. 

Yeah, I know that feel. I knew about the general idea of it, but I never heard of it the way it was presented. Honestly though, I never had conviction to follow anything like L&T before MLP. It was different than anything I had ever heard of before that promoted any kind of loving and/or toleration without being on the ticket of religion. I definitely liked it.

I'm glad you follow the idea. Now all I need is to hear people's opinion of why they don't or we shouldn't L&T. I'm really interested to hear the logic behind anti-L&T.

I don't believe it is up to me to decide whether I love and tolerate or not, so I'm not going to vote. There's too many people that would disagree with me.

Look I may be a brony, but I don't have to adhere to the "Love and Tolerate" policy. Plus when in the series was "Love and Tolerate" mentioned?  Our community were the ones that were behind the creation of it. Personally, I respect and tolerate. More power to what people like. Whatever floats their boat but there are some things that I simply cannot tolerate.

Look I may be a brony, but I don't have to adhere to the "Love and Tolerate" policy. Plus when in the series was "Love and Tolerate" mentioned?  Our community were the ones that were behind the creation of it. Personally, I respect and tolerate. More power to what people like. Whatever floats their boat but there are some things that I simply cannot tolerate.

Like um what?

I mean there are EVIL things in life that people shouldn't tolerate, trolls and parasprites aren't worth tolerating (they should be ignored), but i guess i don't get the dual message of "why should i love & tolerate" and "I personally love & tolerate except when i don't". Everyone wants to be able to speak their mind and opinion but it's important to remember that at the end of the day there's another real alive person on the other side of that computer that we're talking to and it's important to give them the same respect we would expect ourselves. I really don't care if love & toleration isn't directly cannon but is fannon, that's a good addition and something we should aspire to.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, I tend to love and tolerate most of the times.

However, as the fandom grew bigger and bigger, the statement of itself has been turned down, as many state that it's just a saying passed down, not something the fandom created.

While some tend to believe this theory, I don't comply all the way.

I love and tolerate naturally, that's just my way towards everything and anything.

So love and tolerance towards you all!  

• Brohoof 1

I try to be. I mean it's really, really hard: everyone hates everyone and everyone is equally terrible. And then you have people like Oshawott up there, who think they're superior to most people.

In the end, everyone has their own life experiences and opinions, and we all think differently. I can't say I hate anyone because I don't; I can't. It's not fair. Sure, there are people I'm not crazy about....but we can't judge everyone we meet.

People may seem weird or rude or evil, but they're still people. I never hate the person; I do hate many actions people do, and sometimes the way they act, but I can't hate them. They've laughed, cried and sung like the rest of us. Osama Bin Laden

played Volleyball.

(edited)

I do practise it, but there are always exceptions to every rule. There are times where loving and tolerating is just not enough. Heres an example;

In England there is a extreme right wing political group who spout hateful crap about removing "ethnic minorities" and purifying England. Every time they march they get met by the anti-fa (anti-facist movement) the meetings are always violent and arrests happen on either side. The thing is I've met a lot of anti-fa members and they are really lovely and friendly. They almost embody love and tolerance... Right up until you spout hateful crap.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

I believe in the Love and Tolerate saying full on.  I've become pretty much ok with whatever anyone does.  Though a lot of people don't follow it because it is the internet.  

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

Like um what?

I mean there are EVIL things in life that people shouldn't tolerate, trolls and parasprites aren't worth tolerating (they should be ignored), but i guess i don't get the dual message of "why should i love & tolerate" and "I personally love & tolerate except when i don't". Everyone wants to be able to speak their mind and opinion but it's important to remember that at the end of the day there's another real alive person on the other side of that computer that we're talking to and it's important to give them the same respect we would expect ourselves. I really don't care if love & toleration isn't directly cannon but is fannon, that's a good addition and something we should aspire to.

I never said I don't tolerate trolls or parasprites. In fact, I enjoy running into them so I can call them out on some of their claims and counter-troll them. It's actually quite a lot of fun! Anywho, getting back to the topic on hand. Laziness would be one of those few things I don't tolerate. If somebody isn't doing their fair share, then I'm going to lay into that person. I've had to deal with laziness multiple times when I'm either at work or school. Another thing would be someone trying to push their ideals onto me which has happened before. Religion and politics being the two big ones that i've had to deal with. Personally, I'm agnostic and not getting involved with politics apparently draws some skepticism. I actually had my own family ostracize me for not voting because I didn't like either of the candidates. I could list a whole bunch of other things that I can't tolerate but I don't want to list them all and it would be taking up space and getting off track of the topic. If you're interested, feel free to PM me about it and we can have a bit of discussion.

"And thirdly, the Code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules" - Captain Hector Barbossa

Basically, Love and Tolerate exists, but it's not mandatory.

I have been a brony for about two weeks now, and i have whole heartedly picked up on the l and t policy. I belive if there isnt some place anyone can be without feeling like an outcast, there will never be. I go to a school that is filled with hypocrites and liers and before i picked up on the philosophy,  I really hated going to school just knowing i would have tobe near them. When i started watching mlp i realized that its not other peoples attitudes  you need to worry about its yours. How you feel about life is what defines it nothing else, so if you choose to live like every one else nothing good will come of it. So just love and tolerate and be yourself.

The ONLY part of the fandom that I've found that's actually in any way hateful is that of a certain..*ahem*...notorious board that has 'chan' in its name.

Everywhere else I've gone it's been like an extended warm hug with some minor, subtle disagreements and whatnot inbetween.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I personally think that it's impossible to both love and tolerate everything in this world. There are some things and some people that should be frowned upon and not be tolerated, let alone be loved. To others, I prefer to live and let live. Let them live as they see fit, as long as they're not prodding or generally being an ass to everyone else that don't share the same view with them.

I never, EVER took the term "Love and Tolerate" seriously. You're not suddenly obligated to love everyone you come across and tolerate every undesirable act just because you watch a children's show.

The thing is I live near so many #420yoloswagfags so I'm always hateful towards humanity.

But I can somewhat love and tolerate

I feel conflicted about your post. "Fag" really is a pretty loaded word even when not used in a derogatory way towards queer people.

After having a really hard time making friends in school, I became extremely jaded and had a general dislike for humanity. What I've noticed is that the mindset I had is actually pretty common amongst people in tight-knit social circles that trend away from the norm. I'm not at all saying that most people involved in fandoms or counter culture think this way, I'd say its the minority, though it is prevalent.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I started taking an intrest in average-seeming people and noticing that they weren't what I expected. I can have in-depth conversations with most people and can almost always find some kind of common ground. Even the YOLO types can be really agreeable and understanding if you talk to them one-on-one and keep an open mind.

I still tend to gravitate towards people I suspect will have common interests but the friends I've learned the most from are the ones I have the least in common with.

I wouldn't just insuly somebody because they said something or if their beliefs are other than my own, it seems silly. But if they decide to make fun of me in any way, I would reason with them, most of the time this happening, I unintentionally make them look like douche bags. If none of this works and they continue, I chew them up and spit them out and make them feel bad c: So yeah, Love and Tolerate unless its really necessary to do otherwise.

I try to love and tolerate wherever i go. I have been on the forums for a good amount of time now and i have only run across two trolls who were malicious to me. However whenever i go on the 4chans pony board thats when the whole concept of love and tolerate flies out the window. If someones opinion was different from mine i wouldn't insult them over it.  

Love and tolerate? I've always been morally strong, and I do my best to make the world a better place. Once, a man tried to rob me with a knife, but he didn't succeed. Of course, it shocked me, the danger of a serious injury or even death. I was thinking if I should involve the police, I've even seen him a few times since then, I could get him arrested, but I realised that he hadn't stabbed me and taken my valuables, so there is good even in HIM. And I didn't know what made him do that, maybe need, maybe a wrong example to follow...Everybody makes mistakes, and I spared him as he did on that day. Yeah, I am not a hero, but I DO love and tolerate.

• Brohoof 1

I am one of those people who loved and tolerated before mlp brought out the message but I do do it more as my mum would normally say, and I quote, 'Don't take any s*** of anyone'. In other words be assertive but I should also respect others as well, obviously.

Since I'm Atheist as well (not that L and T's not taught by them) I haven't had any holy book to state I should L and T. So I never really though of it as necessary. Until I realised I could be better of if I did L and T since, as well as other reasons, I can get less annoyed as I would not argue with as many people.

What I'm trying to say is before, I thought if I was kind hearted to most people will exploit that personality and take me for granted. Though I don't need to be as open with most people, just the people who I respect and respect me back.

P.S I do try to L and T but it's near impossible in some situations for example when my Brother comes into my room while I'm doing home work and annoys me because he's bored.

P.P.S sorry for the long post. :)

(edited)

Why is this a multi-choice option? It doesn't make sense to choose 'yes' 'no' and 'kinda' you have to make it so we can only choose one. Anyway getting back on topic; I have a tolerance for things I don't like. I don't like religion but I tolerate it, if you wanna believe that stuff, fine, what I won't tolerate is it being shoved down my throat in the form of Jehova's Witnesses and Jesus Freaks.

They say nothing good can come from hate, but I believe you should hate things that genuinely deserve to be hated, hate isn't all bad, it's merely a double-edged sword, just be careful how you wield it or you might get cut. I don't even know what that means but it sounded kinda good in my head.

Getting back off topic for another second: it's 'tolerance' not 'toleration' (in this context)

Edited by Guest

I don't believe it is up to me to decide whether I love and tolerate or not, so I'm not going to vote. There's too many people that would disagree with me.

You shouldn't not state your opinion just because people will disagree. I really want you to explain your reasoning behind your view of L&T. It sounds really interesting.