Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is "a hater"?

IronPonyApplejack

I've been seeing the term "haters" tossed around a lot recently. Aimed mostly at bronies who (like myself) don't like how Equestria Girls looks.

Obviously, there are people who downright hate it. They see zero potential in it, have no intention of seeing it or giving it a chance, and some have said that they may "leave the fandom" over it, whatever that means.

But there are also people like myself. I have reasons that I don't like what I've seen from Equestria Girls so far, and I can articulate those reasons in a (I hope) civil fashion. I intend to see it, because it deserves a fair chance. But from what I have seen so far, I don't think I'll like it. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

The thing is though, it feels like everyone who doesn't like EQ is getting lumped together and referred to as "hating on it". Hate is a strong word, and I don't think that describes everyone in that group. Maybe I'm only seeing those particular topics and most people don't think that way. Those topics just seem to be the ones popping up over and over.

So what I want to know is, what is "a hater" in your mind? And do you believe that the above mentioned groups are indeed haters?

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I consider a Hater to be someone who go's out of there way to voice the fact that they do not like something and don't like the people who do either. Its not down to the fact they hate or dislike something but how far they will go to express it.

So if you say you don't like Equestria girls,  you're not a hater. If you were like another brony I saw on the forums who said they didn't like EG and called the people who did "shallow" you would be a hater.

that's my thought on the term

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 9

I consider a Hater to be someone who go's out of there way to voice the fact that they do not like something and don't like the people who do either. Its not down to the fact they hate or dislike something but how far they will go to express it.

So if you say you don't like Equestria girls,  you're not a hater. If you were like another brony I saw on the forums who said they didn't like EG and called the people who did "shallow" you would be a hater.

I think that's an excellent way of looking at it. I've certainly seen some name calling and such going around on both sides. Admittedly though, most of that is coming from the anti-EQ side of the debate.

Thanks for your thoughts!

(edited)

I'm one of those people who hates Equestria Girls mainly because it turns the characters into humans, no matter how "good" it may be to some people I will always hate the very idea of it, just like I would automatically hate a new Star Wars movie if it featured all the characters as goats.

I guess I could be considered as a hater, I don't care either way.

Edited by Dr. Love
  • Brohoof 3

I agree with PonyEcho. It has a lot to do with the extent of the dislike and how it is expressed. I've felt essentially the same way you're feeling now over the Alicorn Twilight situation actually, so I understand completely. As long as the reasons for the dislike are articulated well, and you're staying fairly calm, and furthermore not attacking others for feeling differently than you do, you're not a "hater" in my mind.

• Brohoof 4

I'm one of those people who hates Equestria Girls mainly because it turns the characters into humans, no matter how "good" it may be to some people I will always hate the very idea of it, just like I would automatically hate a new Star Wars movie if it featured all the characters as goats.

I guess I could be considered as a hater, I don't care either way.

Makes sense to me. I also am not a fan of turning them into humans. I don't understand the point behind it. But hopefully it will be done well.

I agree with PonyEcho. It has a lot to do with the extent of the dislike and how it is expressed. I've felt essentially the same way you're feeling now over the Alicorn Twilight situation actually, so I understand completely. As long as the reasons for the dislike are articulated well, and you're staying fairly calm, and furthermore not attacking others for feeling differently than you do, you're not a "hater" in my mind.

Glad you think that way! I might have just been seeing those posts constantly floating to the top of my feed. It's good to know that others look at the term that way. :)

(edited)

To label someone as a hater is (In my opinion of course) most likely the predefined, weak ideal one feels if they see that someone doesn't like something they feel strongly about. I'm also quite tired of seeing people tag others as a 'hater' just as a means to prove a point. Thinking this way is so easy that it's not a choice they choose if you think about it, it's just an automatic response, the default setting.

But if individuals who label others as 'haters' simply took the time to read a 'haters' message or choose to think behind their reasons, then they will recognize that there's more to their opinion besides just 'hating' what they feel strongly about. If they choose to be simply aware that they had other choices on how to interpret opinions then they'd most likely turn away from the automatic response, the blind idea of labeling others who don't like what they enjoy as 'haters.' 

Edited by Accellerant
  • Brohoof 2

I couldn't find a batter way to explain this sort of thing. To critique something is one thing, but to hate on something is something different all together. Good old Tom to save the day with this one.

• Brohoof 7

To label someone as a hater is (In my opinion of course) most likely the predefined, weak ideal one feels if they see that someone doesn't like something they feel strongly about. I'm also quite tired of seeing people tag others as a 'hater' just as a means to prove a point. Thinking this way is so easy that it's not a choice they choose if you think about it, it's just an automatic response, the default setting.

But if individuals who label others as 'haters' simply took the time to read a 'haters' message or choose to think behind their reasons, then they will recognize that there's more to their opinion besides just 'hating' what they feel strongly about. If they choose to be simply aware that they had other choices on how to interpret opinions then they'd most likely turn away from the automatic response, the blind idea of labeling others who don't like what they enjoy as 'haters.' 

Expertly stated my friend! To me, one of the first rules of having a civil discussion/debate/whatever is respect. Respect that the other person has their own opinion, and their own reasons for having it. Respect that they have just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours. Respect that because of a number of possible factors, they may never come around to your own way of thinking, and that's okay.

Regardless of whether you are for or against EQ, we all need to respect each other.

I couldn't find a batter way to explain this sort of thing. To critique something is one thing, but to hate on something is something different all together. Good old Tom to save the day with this one.

I freaking love Toonmai. And Tom. So much awesome. And he's right on the money! There's a definite difference between the two, and a huge part of it is the motivations of the speaking party.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I see a hater as someone who will generally be negitive to someone or something without a logical explanation. For example: hating someone for not doing something right is obviously hating, yet being negitive towards it and giving a logical reason is a critisism. Critisisms are good. I generally believe that people leaving the fandom over this is unnecisary (However you spell that). The target audience for mlp-fim was girls around the 3-7 mark I wouk say, yet was made tolerable to adults. We just like the show. It was never aimed at us and the writers have known this forever, hence why it's still awsome. And yeah they pander us sometimes like giving us a scootaloo episode and trixie returning yadda yadda yadda, but it was still always aimed for the younger. Equestri girls is the same, but with a slightly older target audience, girls up to 12 or so I would say. The fact bronies say that the target audience is older is not bad, it's hasbro opening more market oppertunities.

So while I believe that while there is a large gap for failure, I also believe that Hasbro can easily jump it.

Edited by darklord260
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, disliking something and hating on something are two completely different things. I'm one of those guys who are on. the neutral side; almost disliking EQG. However, I am giving EQG a chance to prove me wrong.

• Brohoof 1

I see a hater as someone who will generally be negitive to someone or something without a logical explanation. For example: hating someone for not doing something right is obviously hating, yet being negitive towards it and giving a logical reason is a critisism. Critisisms are good. I generally believe that people leaving the fandom over this is unnecisary (However you spell that). The target audience for mlp-fim was girls around the 3-7 mark I wouk say, yet was made tolerable to adults. We just like the show. It was never aimed at us and the writers have known this forever, hence why it's still awsome. And yeah they pander us sometimes like giving us a scootaloo episode and trixie returning yadda yadda yadda, but it was still always aimed for the younger. Equestri girls is the same, but with a slightly older target audience, girls up to 12 or so I would say. The fact bronies say that the target audience is older is not bad, it's hasbro opening more market oppertunities.

So while I believe that while there is a large gap for failure, I also believe that Hasbro can easily jump it.

Very true. While the good Miss Faust put in different elements to try and give the show a broad appeal while she was working on it, the target audience was never bronies. And EQ is definitely no different.

Yeah, disliking something and hating on something are two completely different things. I'm one of those guys who are on. the neutral side; almost disliking EQG. However, I am giving EQG a chance to prove me wrong.

I'm glad I'm not alone there! It certainly deserves the chance to prove itself. I gave that chance to MLP:FiM, and look where it got me! :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I believe a hater is someone who has very strong negative feelings towards something (such as people liking things that they don't) and will do everything in their power to make their skewed opinion heard. In my experience, haters will usually continue to hate despite being provided with evidence to prove they are wrong. This is evident in the fact that a select few sad individuals still hate on Bronies even though we've explained why we like the show. They just can't understand that everyone is different.

When it comes to Equestria Girls, I see myself as a Cynic. I'm not too optimistic, but then we haven't seen the actual movie so I can't hate on it either.

Edited by Spess
  • Brohoof 3

I believe a hater is someone who has very strong negative feelings towards something (such as people liking things that they don't) and will do everything in their power to make their skewed opinion heard. In my experience, haters will usually continue to hate despite being provided with evidence to prove they are wrong. This is evident in the fact that a select few sad individuals still hate on Bronies even though we've explained why we like the show. They just can't understand that everyone is different.

When it comes to Equestria Girls, I see myself as a Cynic. I'm not too optimistic, but then we haven't seen the actual movie so I can't hate on it either.

I know that the people I usually think of as being "haters" are certainly persistent about it. And a cynic....I like that. Good way of describing that viewpoint! Thanks for your thoughts!

• Brohoof 1

to me a hater is someone that hates something for no reason, and they refuse to watch/listen to is no matter what because its "cool" to hate on it. i can see where people make the comparison, no one has seen more than 60 seconds of eg and they already dislike it 

• Brohoof 1

I believe that  a hater in that respect is simply someone who downright hates the show (Even though it hasn't come out yet, what a riot, right?) and doesn't like other people who will give the show a chance. In my opinion, this is kind of pointless, since it gives the other 'haters' a reason to hate people who are more tolerant, because that's just how society works.

So, in society terms, a 'Hater' of Equestria Girls is someone who hates the show, hates anyone who doesn't like the show, and more than likely gives other people a reason to not like Brony's.

That's my oh-so-pointless reasoning.

• Brohoof 1

To me it's someone who expresses a negative opinion in an excessive and forceful way, and insulting those who disagree. There's nothing wrong with disliking something, and stating that is fine, but continually stating it, and seeking out places to state it, and trying to force your opinions down others throats, while insulting those who refuse to accept it, is not. That is a hater.

• Brohoof 1

to me a hater is someone that hates something for no reason, and they refuse to watch/listen to is no matter what because its "cool" to hate on it. i can see where people make the comparison, no one has seen more than 60 seconds of eg and they already dislike it 

It certainly can become popular to hate on something, can't it? I know I try to always make the point that I dislike what I've seen so far, but I know that what we've seen is a very tiny bit of the entire movie, so who knows, right? We'll have to wait and see.

I believe that  a hater in that respect is simply someone who downright hates the show (Even though it hasn't come out yet, what a riot, right?) and doesn't like other people who will give the show a chance. In my opinion, this is kind of pointless, since it gives the other 'haters' a reason to hate people who are more tolerant, because that's just how society works.

So, in society terms, a 'Hater' of Equestria Girls is someone who hates the show, hates anyone who doesn't like the show, and more than likely gives other people a reason to not like Brony's.

That's my oh-so-pointless reasoning.

Pointless? Not at all! Sounds like good, sound reasoning to me! :) Thanks for your thoughts!

To me it's someone who expresses a negative opinion in an excessive and forceful way, and insulting those who disagree. There's nothing wrong with disliking something, and stating that is fine, but continually stating it, and seeking out places to state it, and trying to force your opinions down others throats, while insulting those who refuse to accept it, is not. That is a hater.

I agree. In my mind, a hater goes beyond disliking the subject matter and directs their venom at the people who don't share their opinion. That's not dislike, that's straight up hate. Thanks for your thoughts! :)

• Brohoof 3

I've been seeing the term "haters" tossed around a lot recently. Aimed mostly at bronies who (like myself) don't like how Equestria Girls looks.

Obviously, there are people who downright hate it. They see zero potential in it, have no intention of seeing it or giving it a chance, and some have said that they may "leave the fandom" over it, whatever that means.

But there are also people like myself. I have reasons that I don't like what I've seen from Equestria Girls so far, and I can articulate those reasons in a (I hope) civil fashion. I intend to see it, because it deserves a fair chance. But from what I have seen so far, I don't think I'll like it. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

The thing is though, it feels like everyone who doesn't like EQ is getting lumped together and referred to as "hating on it". Hate is a strong word, and I don't think that describes everyone in that group. Maybe I'm only seeing those particular topics and most people don't think that way. Those topics just seem to be the ones popping up over and over.

So what I want to know is, what is "a hater" in your mind? And do you believe that the above mentioned groups are indeed haters?

My personal definition of 'hater' is someone that hates a given subject with such vehemence that they go out of their way to state it, but it should be added they will state their dislike in a derogatory and I constructive way.. A example;

I don't like bronies or My little pony so I shall go on a MLP related site to state this"

• Brohoof 1

Well my mind is put at ease by all this. Glad to know that we all know that "dislike" and "hate" aren't the same thing. Thanks to you all for giving me your thoughts, I appreciate it! :D

(edited)

Hmm, a hater? I think people have been constantly using the word without considering a better use of vocabulary with understanding criticism or the actual situation by generally referring to the over-used word. It seems that people are typically referring to the word when someone shows no interest to something and are over exaggerating the whole situation altogether.

I mean we are arguing about another show that involves the same characters with a different story. I don't see a reason to actually butcher it's material without even seeing it. That's clearly being judgmental. A trailer is just a preview on what's to come. It doesn't grasp the whole concept of the show. It's a basic summary to grab possible viewers. I mean c'mon, it's either I'm excited or not excited for the show. It hasn't even been released yet. Everyone is just putting their feet forward and already anticipating the show's outcome.

Equestria Girls is just a show. Like any other show that would be featured on TV. I, personally don't think I'll be watching it, because I'm simply not interested by the content featured in the trailer or most likely the style. I wasn't much of an enthusiast for Anthropic-ponies to begin with, and I'm still not.

However, if I don't have nothing really nice to say about the show. Then I have the decency to keep my mouth shut for that is only common manners to respect one's interest. The people who don't want to keep their traps shut are just looking for arguments and are just adding on to the fire.

Edited by Boop
  • Brohoof 1

I don't like the word "hate".

To me that word is a strong representation of dislike, but instead of just being dislike, it would be trying to destroy whatever it is you "hate".

There are chritatism and then there are (as much as indon't like the term) "haters". Chritatisms are opinions that give the persons own opinion while still trying to respect the others opinion. "Haters" give their opinion, but disregard the others opinion and try to do everything on their power to attack those that don't share that same opinion.

I know there are people in between and I am sorry that you are cought in this crossfire that is "Equestria Girls".

(edited)

Ok.  My question is:  Why are we obliged to "keep calm" and assert our opinion in the least influential manner possible when people with the opposite viewpoint are able to be as extreme as they want with their opinions?...

Its similar to what was going on in the gay marriage debate.  Advocates can be as ruthless, ignorant, and in your face about it as they want, but if you don't support it you better watch how you word your damn opinions or soon you'll be marked as a bigot.

Don't like EQG?  Well you better word your opinion in the least energetic and most unenthusiastic way possible being sure not to offend those "optimists," who will take any slight hint of passion in your wording and brand you as a hater.

And I know people are going to say "you can't judge it when you've never given it a chance."  We have the right to make judgements based off of the trailer and other outside information.

Also, going out of your way to voice your opinion doesn't make you a hater.  Its your opinion, and its likely that you would want others to think likewise.  (This is basically just the process of influence)  Its human nature to want to influence somebody into thinking along the lines of you.

What if they believe that its important for others to think EQG is shit?  Going out of their way to tell others is virtually one of the only ways that they can help make a change.  According to you it makes them a hater though.

Lets see how much people call me a hater:

I do believe that EQG will be a shitty movie.

Edited by John

Snip

My apologies. I think that what I said generally applies to both sides, in that it's best to try to explain opinions calmly and rationally. I don't view an unexplained post bashing EQG as superior or inferior to an unexplained post fanboying all over it, or any opinion in between those. I just think staying calm and articulating thoughts well is ultimately more productive, regardless of what those thoughts are. As someone who's been labeled an Alicorn Twilight hater, I understand your frustrations. And I'm not trying to say that being pessimistic about Equestria Girls is bad. In fact, there are loads of things that turn me off to it already.

• Brohoof 1

To me, a hater is someone who fails to see the good things about a certain thing, whether it'd be the movie or the fandom itself. Haters will see one thing wrong and they'll start disliking the whole thing completely. That's what I'm seeing in some people who are not liking the movie. Once they see humanized ponies in the movie, they start to hate the whole fandom altogether, resulting in leaving us and turning they're backs against the people who actually want to see the movie. I'm seeing the same thing in the whole MLP fanbase as well, and to be honest, it's saddening.