Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Oh, you don't like Rarity? You this she is greedy and out for herself? You think perhaps she is underserving of being the Element of Generosity?

BronyCurious would like to talk to you for a moment:

"When push comes to shove Rarity threw away the key to her dreams for the sake of her friends and continues to do so every episode she stays in Ponyville as really she has no reason to stay there. She should be living it up in Canterlot, trying to make things happen. But she doesn't, because she loves her friends and is willing to put a delay in her dreams. Dreams that could very easily become a reality to stay with them. That's Generosity [censored]!"

(edited)

I don't hate her, I just find her boring and uninteresting. I have a general disdain for "regal", "high class" or "fabulous" types of characters, or I simply don't care for them. And the "hate" for Rarity among some of the fandom has definitely died down in the last season

Edited by Rivendare

I just don't like her personality. Sure she can be generous, but she is the first one to abandon her element it seems. Also she is prone to being whiney (i know the diamond dog incident but still) and overly dramatic. Her and pinkie pie get on my nerves quite easily.

I have to say, im kinda suprised about the overwhelming positivity in the poll and the topic itself. 

post-25189-0-46150000-1401488487.png
Never expected something like that. Im happy for Rarity. :D

• Brohoof 5

I have to say, im kinda suprised about the overwhelming positivity in the poll and the topic itself.

Never expected something like that. Im happy for Rarity. :D

It's not surprising, Rarity is less hated now because she shone during the season 4. ;)

In my opinion, the Rarity hate is a 2010-early 2013 thing.

• Brohoof 3

It's not surprising, Rarity is less hated now because she shone during the season 4. ;)

In my opinion, the Rarity hate is a 2010-early 2013 thing.

Then I vote we make summer 2014 the Summer of Rarity Love! Who's with me?

post-26689-0-04083300-1401814186_thumb.jpgpost-26689-0-27278700-1401814207_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

She's completely unlikable and annoying. I have no idea how anyone likes her at all! She's also completely greedy and goes completely against her supposed "element" that she actually represents the least out of any other character.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

I will admit that she is my least favorite of the Mane 6.  At first, if I were to have ranked them on a scale of 1 to 10, Rarity would've been a 2 and the next least (Apple Jack) would've been a 5.  However, as of this last season, she's gone up to about a 4.

She is personally my favourite pony. I find her incredibly entertaining and complex, but I think the reason why some people may not like her as much is because she does seem the most obviously contradictory towards her element. Personally, I think they are wrong and that all of the Mane 6 have been equally contradictory towards their own elements, but I guess it's just more noticeable with Rarity since by nature she can be somewhat greedy and prides herself in looking glamorous, and doesn't have to sacrifice a whole lot in order to show her generosity. I guess for some, her personality contrasts too much with her element of generosity. I would write an essay arguing against them on that, but I think that is the reason why some people don't liker her as much. 

• Brohoof 1

You could legitimately ask this question and replace it with anyone else's name. Rarity, though? Yeah, I could see where people could say she was stuck up. They'd be wrong, but yeah... She's proved several times over in the course of four seasons that she is not stuck up. She may have that air around her, due her enjoying the finer things in life but if she were truly stuck up, she would refuse to hang out with ponies Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 1

I don't hate Rarity, if anything I like her more than I previously did. She DEFINITELY represents her element. I will say she's not my favorite character, but she's definitely not hated by me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think that many Americans automatically despise anything/one/pony (I know plenty who do so don't come after me) that is foreign or un-American, and Rarity has an English accent :/. I for one LOVE rarity and think she is best (couldn't have guessed could you :D) but she still receives a lot of, in my opinion, undeserved hate. Is she perfect? Of course not, but which pony is???

I guess I'll leave with that, we all find different things annoying and funny and we all like and dislike different things, there is no need to fight about it :D!!

Edited by Dretkal
  • Brohoof 1

Most people look at Rarity and just say, "Oh, look, she's got an accent, makeup, curly hair, and is totally into fashion. She must be vain and prissy."

...Okay, not exactly like that. But probably close. Rarity is the stereotypical self-centered perfectionist, or so people say. Most people don't take the time to look deeper into her personality. She's not a cardboard cutout of a celebrity designer. She's got depth and character. Everyone else is all so excited about the other ponies (Fluttershy is so cute, Rainbow is just that awesome, Pinkie Pie is hilarious, etc.) that they don't really take the time to find out just what makes her so great. They list off the Mane Six from favorite to least favorite and just say something like, "Oh yeah, and then there's Rarity. She's alright, but doesn't make my top three."

Of course, being a Rarity fan myself, I can't say this is entirely accurate. I'll leave it to the actual Rarity "haters" to give a clearer analysis. ^^'

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Most people look at Rarity and just say, "Oh, look, she's got an accent, makeup, curly hair, and is totally into fashion. She must be vain and prissy."

...Okay, not exactly like that. But probably close. Rarity is the stereotypical self-centered perfectionist, or so people say. Most people don't take the time to look deeper into her personality. She's not a cardboard cutout of a celebrity designer. She's got depth and character. Everyone else is all so excited about the other ponies (Fluttershy is so cute, Rainbow is just that awesome, Pinkie Pie is hilarious, etc.) that they don't really take the time to find out just what makes her so great. They list off the Mane Six from favorite to least favorite and just say something like, "Oh yeah, and then there's Rarity. She's alright, but doesn't make my top three."

Of course, being a Rarity fan myself, I can't say this is entirely accurate. I'll leave it to the actual Rarity "haters" to give a clearer analysis. ^^'

I think you are on to something.

Everyone of the mane6 is likeable and complex in her own way, but Pinkie, Rainbow, Flutters and Twi have certain parts of their character that makes them instantly interesting for most of the fandom. The first things to their character that one sees if he starts to watch the show.

For Pinkie its that she is hyper and funny. Many people just like that kind of zanyness.

For Flutters it is her shyness, many young people relate to that because they are shy themselves and see a soul mate in Fluttershy. Also, she is cute, everybody likes cute.

Rainbow is like you said awesome to many. She is active and athletic and confident. Something many want to be.

Twi is a intelligent nerd, she is also kinda antisocial (Or was). Many identify with her nerdyness instantly.

Now we have Rarity and Applejack.

Rarity is very artistic, something that usually would appeal to many, but the field of art she choosed is fashion, and i dare to say that many bronies don't care about that. If she would be a painter for example, i think that many would have a better first impression of her.

She is also very concerned about her appearance, this is again something that is a good thing, but again many bronies see that as shallow.

Applejack is reliable and earnest. She cares about her Family a lot. That are very admirable qualities, but many seem to think of her as boring. Why choose Apples when i also can choose between the funny one, the cute one, the awesome one or the nerdy one?

All of the mane six have way more good sides than just these basics, but like you said, some don't bother with that and stick with the cute one for example. Something that neither does the characters justice that they picked because of such shallow reasons, nor does it Rares and Apples justice, who are often forgotten because they arent instantly relateable for many.

Don't get me wrong, it don't think that these people that like one of the mane6 just because of their first obvious features are a mayority, but they are enough to cause the gap that is often to see in best pony polls between Rarity and Applejack and the rest of the mane6.

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I've often wondered this.

Let's get the bad right out of the way, people were put off that the Element of Generosity would often be selfish for jokes. Making times when she was not perfectly generous for conflicts seem like "business as usual." This is the big one imo.

But also it is simply the fact that she's the fashion girl. People didn't like her (or expected to dislike her) from episode 1. Despite the fact that she was incredibly pleasant.

This, paired with her lack of episodes outside of arguing with AJ, for the first half of the season made people have little patience for her.

It's sort of a generated cycle that hasn't been fully broken, but Season 4 did a good job.

This occurred to me (in this really simple form) after watching shows with similar female characters (rich, upper crust, girly) who are objectively meaner (like Eri from School Rumble who is genuinely stuckup a lot of the time, but has her redeeming qualities) but are still beloved by the fans (like Eri again) who would crucify you for talking ill of them.

Another factor is probably Spike. Eri's relationship with Harima endeared her to the audience, whereas another tsundere named Asuka's relationship with Shinji probably did not. Rarity's relationship with Spike is puppy love that will not be acknowledged significantly for a while due to the status quo nature of the show.

And there are smaller reasons but these stand out to me.

Edited by Whatevs

(edited)

I love Rarity! It's mostly because I find her to be very funny. Her voice actor is so superb that she makes everything that comes out of Rarity's mouth sound amusing. And I love that she is a character with creative vision, which is something I can relate to with her. Rarity also seems to have quite a bit of depth to her character.

Clearly the accent she speaks with is not one she should have. She's from ponyville but dreams of far bigger things. And not only does she dream big, she actually tries with all her might to accomplish those dreams and is often successful. She does get caught up in vanity and fame, but it's understandable why given how hard she's worked to get herself where she is . And she always manages to pick friendship over her own dreams. That's where her true generosity lies.

I think that many Americans automatically despise anything/one/pony (I know plenty who do so don't come after me) that is foreign or un-American, and Rarity has an English accent :/. I for one LOVE rarity and think she is best (couldn't have guessed could you :D) but she still receives a lot of, in my opinion, undeserved hate. Is she perfect? Of course not, but which pony is???

I guess I'll leave with that, we all find different things annoying and funny and we all like and dislike different things, there is no need to fight about it :D!!

Excuse me, did you just try to generalize Americans as hating accents??? Wat? You better BELIEVE we'll come after you after making such claims. You used the word many. Most Americans do not hate accents. You clearly don't know us, so please don't make up such lies.

Americans adore accents, we can't get enough of them. Especially English accents, I know a ton of people who consider them sexy.

Edited by crazitaco

I know what makes me hate Rarity or at least back in the past it's just that she acts so girly with her fashion especially with her makeup and how it seems that she's not that nice to Sweetie Belle in a way I guess the biggest part was really what my sister did. She put Rarity in my bed and told me that Rarity was going to kiss me in my sleep which just made matters on my outlook of her a whole lot worse I even invinted a game called torture the Rarity along with my other sister and that's because she's scared about uncouth things.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love Rarity! It's mostly because I find her to be very funny. Her voice actor is so superb that she makes everything that comes out of Rarity's mouth sound amusing. And I love that she is a character with creative vision, which is something I can relate to with her. Rarity also seems to have quite a bit of depth to her character.

Clearly the accent she speaks with is not one she should have. She's from ponyville but dreams of far bigger things. And not only does she dream big, she actually tries with all her might to accomplish those dreams and is often successful. She does get caught up in vanity and fame, but it's understandable why given how hard she's worked to get herself where she is . And she always manages to pick friendship over her own dreams. That's where her true generosity lies.Excuse me, did you just try to generalize Americans as hating accents??? Wat? You better BELIEVE we'll come after you after making such claims. You used the word many. Most Americans do not hate accents. You clearly don't know us, so please don't make up such lies.

Americans adore accents, we can't get enough of them. Especially English accents, I know a ton of people who consider them sexy.

Seems I have accidentally struck a nerve here. I myself am American and a rather prideful one at that. However I have met plenty of people who are patriotic crazy and are more than quick to turn a cold shoulder on anyone different here in diversity-lacking Wisconsin. I understand that "many" was probably a quite large over exaggeration and I apologize for that. Now lets all be happy and bask in Rarity's greatness :D Edited by Dretkal

I know what makes me hate Rarity or at least back in the past it's just that she acts so girly with her fashion especially with her makeup and how it seems that she's not that nice to Sweetie Belle in a way I guess the biggest part was really what my sister did. She put Rarity in my bed and told me that Rarity was going to kiss me in my sleep which just made matters on my outlook of her a whole lot worse I even invinted a game called torture the Rarity along with my other sister and that's because she's scared about uncouth things.

tumblr_mrb84arCyY1rs0f5ho1_500.gif

what the heck did I literally just read?

• Brohoof 1