Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

*Spoilers* Season 4 footage at SDCC

~StatesTheOblivious~

I really like the idea that Nightmare Moon's return is just Twi re-living the events of Celestia's past. Its like another test that Celestia had set up for Twi, alluding more towards the concept that Twi is going to become Celestia's successor. Hence Twi needing to make the difficult decision to seal NMM in the moon, testing her resolve as a princess of Equestria.

I can imagine that episode being multi-parted for a couple reasons. For one, dealing with NMM, but it could also have Twi reliving a variety of events of Celestia's own past, including Celestia and Luna's battle with King Sombra.

(Sombra corrupting Luna provoking her into turning into NMM maybe?)

• Brohoof 4

Based on what I see, in terms of season 4, the collective mindset behind what was shown today was very re-assuring!

Great Apple family song with an "adopted" Pinkie Pie singing? That's pretty close to perfection.

And I loved that they mentioned Spike was "going to have a lot of fun in Season 4". He's one of the more interesting characters and, with Twilight becoming a princess and everything else going on, he could have easily been marginalized. The writers had an opportunity with him, and it sounds like they're going to take advantage of it.

I also like that a new writer is taking on the Rarity episode and, from the sound of it, pushing her (read: Tabitha) to her limits. A fresh look at her character, and certainly he'll be trying to make his mark on Rarity. Good ingredients for a potentially great episode.

Scootaloo's not being able to fly was too good of an opportunity to pass up, and they grabbed it.

Nightmare Moon = more Luna. That's always a positive thing!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

At last the first Season  four clips have been shown and it was all worth.

More Apple family that looks like National Lampoon's Vacation, a new villain and so on.

Whoa nelly!

Edited by Ulrik Raben
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Something I didn't see anyone mention: If you look at the number at the bottom for each scene, it tells you which episode of the season each scene is from. Scootaloo is episode 405 for example, spike's scene is 406, the apple family song is 409, and Nightmare Moon is episode 401....which means its the season opener!

Edited by GrifCannon
  • Brohoof 4

I just watched it myself and I am stoked to see it

Another scoots episode..sweet

Bout died at power ponies...wtf.. in a good way

I'm not big on country music but that was a damn good song

And Luna/NNM... my guess.. Twilights so powerful that she's gone into Lunas dreams... or should I say, Nightmares

• Brohoof 3

OMG....Luna...transformed back into Nightmare Moon?
POSSIBLE BETRAYAL? 
AWESOME SINGING?

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait ti'll season 4! SWEET! :D

• Brohoof 3

Everything looks amazing.  I hope the NMM part is part of a history episode.  The Super Hero thing really is strange.  I'm thinking that will be a strange episode all around.  I didn't watch the Applejack song because I don't want spoilers on songs.  Scootaloo episode looks like it will be great!

• Brohoof 2

omfgomfgofmgofmgfomgfomg

WOW. I had to take pauses in the video because it was too much xD

wow it looks awesome I WANT IT NOOOW

Though I think it is sad that they spoiled the return of evil luna :(

• Brohoof 3

More Powerpuff Girls references, Apple roadtrips, flightless Scootaloo being further addressed (which opens up a possibility of more Scootalove since Dash made herself Scoots' sister and mentor <333), and Luna's turning/thus more Princcess background being explained? Sounds good to me :D Looks terrific. Can't wait to see what else comes our way over the coming months.

• Brohoof 3

OMYYYFUFUFUUFUFUFUUFUFUFUUFUFUFUUFUFUFUUFUFUFUFUFUUFUFUFU 

tumblr_m4wq14toy91rqfhi2o1_400.gif

THE MANE SIX ARE SUPER HEROES I SWEAR TO GOOD THIS SPOKE TO ME I CAN'T-EVEN-

You know what, I accept Luna becoming jealous again... I love Nightmare Moon. OH GOSH YES THEY WERE AMBITIOUS. AHHH

I'm just a little concerned of how Luna's 2nd evil scenario's gonna effect Celestia and Equestria. Will they ever give Luna a second chance again?  :(

• Brohoof 2

You know what, I accept Luna becoming jealous again... I love Nightmare Moon. OH GOSH YES THEY WERE AMBITIOUS. AHHH

I'm just a little concerned of how Luna's 2nd evil scenario's gonna effect Celestia and Equestria. Will they ever give Luna a second chance again?  :(

I'm rather confused why people think this has to be modern times. To me it looked more like a flashback Twilight was stuck in, from Celestia's perspective. Luna did say, 'basking in your precious light' after all. Obviously that's got to mean the sun. Twi doesn't control the sun, Tia does. My money is on a flashback to the turning moment when Luna became Nightmare Moon in front of Celestia, over a thousand years ago, from the neglect she felt from her moon being shunned as opposed to Celestia's sun being rejoiced. A flashback would also explain why Twilight was confused as to where she was, and to why the modern day Celestia and Luna 'disappeared'.

• Brohoof 8

I'm rather confused why people think this has to be modern times. To me it looked more like a flashback Twilight was stuck in, from Celestia's perspective. Luna did say, 'basking in your precious sun' after all. Twi doesn't control the sun, Tia does. My money is on a flashback to the turning moment when Luna became Nightmare Moon in front of Celestia, over a thousand years ago, from the neglect she felt from her moon being shunned as opposed to Celestia's sun being rejoiced. A flashback would also explain why Twilight was confused as to where she was, and to why the modern day Celestia and Luna 'disappeared'.

wow I did not notice this until you said it actually. But I really think you are right actually. I mean making Luna evil and then go back go good again would be kind of stupid, and since this is a bit of a teaser I think we are fooled by what we see. It is probably as you say. And I bet that superhero episode is some sort of dream

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

As I look at the new Nightmare Moon scene, I'm reminded of when Luna seemingly had her doubts about Twilight being sent to protect the Crystal Empire ("Are you sure you don't want me to go as well?").

Was she really doubting Twilight...or was she jealous of Twilight being chosen for the duty over herself? I like the idea that there might still be some jealousy within Luna despite her earlier de-transformation from Nightmare Moon (assuming this new scene isn't a flashback - which I personally don't think it is). If it existed before, and has been simmering since, it would make sense that it would intensify now that Twilight is an Alicorn princess.

I don't think that would make Luna evil or weak, though. It would mean Luna's heart is in the right place, but that she's still vulnerable to anger and jealousy (aren't we all?) I personally would like her as flawed, yet always redeemable.

img-1672831-1-Crystal_Empire.jpg

Or maybe Luna's been locked away by Chrysalis somewhere, and Chrysalis is trying to divide the kingdom by pretending to be her. I'd be okay with that, too.

EDIT: Thanks to others, I'm seeing some of the details in the footage now that are making me re-think this a bit. "Alternate reality" seems more plausible. Kudos to whoever chose this footage to show at ComicCon - it's great for discussion.

EDIT #2: Y'know what? Never mind. I put together a picture that debunks most of what I originally thought. ;)

http://mlpforums.com/topic/67285-spoilers-season-4-footage-at-sdcc/?p=1673135

Edited by John Mellenclop
  • Brohoof 5

I'm rather confused why people think this has to be modern times. To me it looked more like a flashback Twilight was stuck in, from Celestia's perspective. Luna did say, 'basking in your precious sun' after all. Twi doesn't control the sun, Tia does. My money is on a flashback to the turning moment when Luna became Nightmare Moon in front of Celestia, over a thousand years ago, from the neglect she felt from her moon being shunned as opposed to Celestia's sun being rejoiced. A flashback would also explain why Twilight was confused as to where she was, and to why the modern day Celestia and Luna 'disappeared'.

Agreed, reminded me of the flashback scenes Harry Potter had using the Pensieve in that series; perhaps Twilight will stumble into a memory in a similar fashion.  Or maybe she'll even somehow end up in Luna's dreams.  Hard to say.

As for my own reaction to the Season 4 preview, well, I'm simply ecstatic!  Everything looks simply phenomenal!  Scootaloo's flight problems being addressed, superhero episode with Powerpuff Girls references, more amazing music (and an Apple Family song no less, glad to see Daniel Ingram continues to shower that country style music with love!), and a flashback to Nightmare Moon's origins all this season?  Season 4, you are shaping up to kick some serious flank!!!  Frankly I don't know if we'll be able to handle it all!!!  Ah well, it'll be here soon enough, and when it touches down this winter I have no doubt that it's simply going to be AWESOME!!!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

I only got up to the superheroes, I'll wait to see a good quality version of this so I don't have to deal with a bunch of screaming people.

From what I did watch:

- The Scootaloo part intrigued me the most, mainly because I've always wanted to see how they would handle it,a and the inclusion of the Equestrian games is a huge plus. Also now I want to throw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in the pool with that dolphin from King of the Hill

- Super Ponies - I'm excited for this one, but I'm gonna keep my expectations in check. Last time they had a superhero themed episode, it ended up being one of the most hated episodes in the series. But if they have a Megazord sequence, it'll be a contender for best episode ever

I'll give my thoughts on the other things once I get a chance to see it

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm rather confused why people think this has to be modern times. To me it looked more like a flashback Twilight was stuck in, from Celestia's perspective. Luna did say, 'basking in your precious light' after all. Obviously that's got to mean the sun. Twi doesn't control the sun, Tia does. My money is on a flashback to the turning moment when Luna became Nightmare Moon in front of Celestia, over a thousand years ago, from the neglect she felt from her moon being shunned as opposed to Celestia's sun being rejoiced. A flashback would also explain why Twilight was confused as to where she was, and to why the modern day Celestia and Luna 'disappeared'.

I'm... quite embarrassed now actually... sometimes when I get overly excited, I pay attention to bigger details rather than small ones. I didn't catch it when she said pretty big hints like you just stated. 

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 5

The My Little Pony crew truly loves us. Season 4, in the words of Spike the Dragon "You look so delicious!"

Love all the footage. Eager for an explanation of the superhero situation. Loved the song! And...Nightmare Moon! :o 

• Brohoof 3

I saw this info and video earlier today when it was first posted.  I'm still trying to clean up my apartment after my mindsplosion.  I keep re-reading the article and re-watching the video trying to soak up every last little detail.  Soooooo excited! :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm... quite embarrassed now actually... sometimes when I get overly exited, I pay attention to bigger details rather than small ones. I didn't catch it when she said pretty big hints like your just stated. 

I didn't either. But I get what people are saying, based on the details I'm now seeing as well.

However, I'm not sure if "flashback" is the best term for what's happening. What if it's an alternate reality where Celestia wasn't around to send Nightmare Moon into exile - and Princess Twilight Sparkle is now in Celestia's role? Maybe she's being tested?

EDIT: Now I see the "flashback" - never mind! :Dhttp://mlpforums.com/topic/67285-spoilers-season-4-footage-at-sdcc/?p=1673135

Edited by John Mellenclop
  • Brohoof 2

As if the wait for Season 4 was unbearable enough, I just had to watch the video to make it worse.  And it was worth it to get just a little taste of what is in store for the winter.  We are finally going to get an episode with Scootaloo's lack of flight as a focus point as well as a further look into the beginning of Nightmare Moon and her conflict with Celestia.  Anything to further define the mythos and history of this world is a plus in my book.  And more songs and a soundtrack on the way?  Yes!

I have to say that the super hero bit was a little strange, but intriguing none-the-less; I am interested to see how they go about that little arc.  And it is a bit of a shame that they dropped Babs Seed but I am sure there was a reason for it.

All-in-all, my excitement has only grown since the Comic-Con panel and the new season cannot get here soon enough.  

• Brohoof 3

I didn't either. But I get what people are saying, based on the details I'm now seeing as well.

However, I'm not sure if "flashback" is the best term for what's happening. What if it's an alternate reality where Celestia wasn't around to send Nightmare Moon into exile - and Princess Twilight Sparkle is now in Celestia's role? Maybe she's being tested?

Eh... that'd be pretty ambitious like the staff of FiM said season 4 would be, but an alternate universe would be would probably show more hints, like Twilight knowing where she is, or even giving subtle hints about what happened in the normal universe Twilight. It just seems really... vague. But Celestia's role and the test definitely supports the flashback idea. Perhaps, like the situation with the 'human world mirror', It's just another lesson and trial of becoming a princess, or even like Harry Potter and the pensieve and Tom Riddle flashback. Perhaps Celestia wants her to go to this day to which she became Nightmare Moon to get a detail or hint for Twilight in the modern day? Or maybe this is something that only Twilight and her element can accomplish?

• Brohoof 3

OH. MY. GOODNESS.  :o

Confirmed flightless Scootaloo episode & Celestia/Luna flashback episode? :wub: That right there is enough for me to get excited to a level that might make my arteries explode. Hopefully I'll stay alive until this winter. It feels like the wait has been... well, doubled.

Also, that is some solid music, a future classic.

I wonder what to make of that superhero thing, probably "non-canon dream sequence" like some suggested.

• Brohoof 2