Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight as an Alicorn. Gift or born

crysal

So I just watched the last episode of season 3

and when twilight became an alicorn, when applejack said "Twili is that you?"

I got a bit confused about if Twilight always was a Alicorn/princess or if she has been gifted it by princess Celestia. I'm sure they probably explain it, but I'm still a bit confused

B) Have a nice day ~~Brohoof~~ B)

What was made was an Alicorn Twilight, and what was born was controversy.

To answer your question, Celestia made [or in your words gifted] Twilight into an Alicorn because she.....passed the test? This whole thread is filled with interpretations.

Personally, it was done not for sake of story but rather Hasbro's new toy campaign. Obviously I don't dislike them for it, it's their business. I just hope they change it back with season 4, because really the concept in terms of the show has too many loose ends.

Edited by Party Cannon

I don't think they will make her a normal unicorn agien becaus judging from the Comic con season 4 sneak peek, she still have her wings and horn, but maybe you are right, maybe in some way they'll change her back

I think Hasbro new toy is only one of the many reasons they made her an alicorn. This opens so many doors for new episodes. I personally do not see what the fuss is about, because when I first started watching MLP:FiM I always imagined Twilight with wings and when I came across the final episode of season 3 I was excited to see that she had become an alicorn.

• Brohoof 3

Changing her back would destroy the show and her character. Twilight was always different and special and this change brings with it a whole host of possibilities. I'm excited, but I digress.

Twilight was always destined to be a princess, but to a certain degree one has to earn their destiny with hardwork. She earned what happend to her. Celestia pretty much said by showing all the elements of friendship and being a leader and making new magic age she ascended.

Edited by Nature Spell

I don't think either is the case. Twilight wasn't born an alicorn nor was it simply a gift. Watch the scene again and listen to the theme of the song. During the transformation the energy that transforms Twilight comes from within her and is the color of Twilight's magic aura. Celestias magic also doesn't even seem to touch Twilight at all. The theme of Celestia's Ballad was mainly one of growth and moving on to a new stage of life. When taken as a whole the process seems to be one that Twilight initiated and was focused on Twilight. Celestia seemed to be playing the role she had since the series began a mentor and mother figure guiding Twilight. Celestia was guiding a process Twilight had started when she sent herself to the astral plane. 

So in other words alicornhood is a physical transformation that happens through a magical process when a pony has an extreme realization or enlightenment. 

• Brohoof 4

It's MY OPINION time...

In Equestria, when a Unicorn's magic becomes sufficiently powerful, it triggers a genetic change. That Unicorn then develops wings and becomes an Alicorn. Alicorns by tradition are given the title of Princess. (I believe that there are NO male Alicorns) Celestia suspected all along this would happen since the young filly Twilight had that burst of Godlike magical power the day she hatched out Spike and received her cutie mark. The princess was wise enough to do her best in guiding Twilight's growth to bring about her ultimate destiny.

Trixie is probably chewing through her magic wand in pure unadulterated envy! 

• Brohoof 1

Basically Twilight was enlightened, in which she started to grow and advance in which she became an alicorn after Celestia knew that she would ascend into enlightenment so she wasn't exactly gifted or born as an alicorn. They would have to have some evidence if she was born or gifted as an alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

It's MY OPINION time...

In Equestria, when a Unicorn's magic becomes sufficiently powerful, it triggers a genetic change. That Unicorn then develops wings and becomes an Alicorn. 

Bursting that bubble though would be Cadence.. IIRC she wasn't a unicorn before becoming an alicorn, she was a Pegasus....

Kinda hurts the idea of magic being the key...

As to the controversy.. not sure why people are so upset over it. It was literally predictable from the get go tbh.

But all in all, its a plot advancement, keeping everything the exact same as its always been kills all chance of character development, which contradicts some parts of the show overall, and goes against any sense of good writing.

This whole thing moves the show in a new direction, but the question now is, will they blow it, or work it right? Cause making her elevated does create new issues, especially having given her the moniker of princess.

Only time will tell, but right now, and since it happened, has been way to early, and people really are getting in a fuss over nothing.

Look at it this way, the series was meant to end a season and a half ago as it is, so just be happy they are advancing it in some way besides the "oops, we decided to end it and not tell anyone" like the awesome that was the ThunderCats reboot... One season and without a word they canceled simply because their TERRIBLE toy line didn't sell enough, not because the show wasn't popular.

Edited by GrimCW

Bursting that bubble though would be Cadence.. IIRC she wasn't a unicorn before becoming an alicorn, she was a Pegasus....

Kinda hurts the idea of magic being the key...

While not actually using magic, Pegasi are inherently magical creatures. Look at them. Their wingspans are not big enough to support them in flight. Rainbow Dash's sonic rain-booms are not something a being of flesh and blood should be able to live through. They weigh the same as Earth ponies and Unicorns, yet are able to walk on clouds without using their wings. Remember, Friendship is Magic. Cadence's complete understanding of the magic of LOVE could easily have triggered the genetic change and enabled her to grow a horn.

They weigh the same as Earth ponies and Unicorns, yet are able to walk on clouds without using their wings. 

I dunno, according to Faust they fart helium... except spitfire, she has methane or something iirc.

In regular lore though Pegasi usually have MUCH larger wingspans, MLP is stylized differently...

But saying that means even an earth pony is a simple probable case for the same, as they all have similar abilities to some degree, as per the point of the cutie marks. Otherwise how would they magically gain a cutie mark, or be so good at growing the foods and such they produce that the others apparently can't?

Edited by GrimCW

I dunno, according to Faust they fart helium... except spitfire, she has methane or something iirc.

In regular lore though Pegasi usually have MUCH larger wingspans, MLP is stylized differently...

But saying that means even an earth pony is a simple probable case for the same, as they all have similar abilities to some degree, as per the point of the cutie marks. Otherwise how would they magically gain such a thing, or be so good at growing the foods and such they produce that the others apparently can't?

Well, I did say in my opinion on my initial post. There's always my fallback mufti-purpose explanation for anything MLP...The writers and animators thought it's a good idea.  It's just a cartoon, after all.

• Brohoof 1

Basically Twilight was enlightened, in which she started to grow and advance in which she became an alicorn after Celestia knew that she would ascend into enlightenment so she wasn't exactly gifted or born as an alicorn. They would have to have some evidence if she was born or gifted as an alicorn.

This ^.

Celestia was present, and may have smoothed the road (or roughed it up in order the force Twilight to reach her potential) for Twilight's transformation, but it appears she did not directly 'make' Twilight an alicorn. The force that transformed her came from within her. 

Something I noticed when I re-watced that scene was that the energy that worked the transformation came from the center of Twilight's chest, right where the rest of the Mane 6 wear their Elements. It's probably supposed to refer to it coming from Twilight's heart, but maybe there's multiple references going on there.

• Brohoof 3

Well, I think she was more "born" with it. Bare with me. Just think about it: 

Her destiny (or, rather, what she always wanted and what she also deems is who she is) is what started it all. He mark represents not only magic, but the elements of harmony themselves, and it shows she was ALWAYS supposed to be the bearer of magic despite being introverted and, indeed, didn't like the attention. 

Her actions and what she did with it pushed her forward into being an alicorn. Celestia did't give her her wings, Twilight did herself and Celestia just guided her through the process. She was, in essence, born into it. Her destiny was already shown when she viewed her cutiemark. It was just a matter of time. 

I'm guessing you just have to show knowledge that you can handle what your doing, like how Twilight handled what she did to her friends. The same thing happens with the cutie marks too, which probably also is another reason why the CMC just haven't received them either. 

• Brohoof 1

I honestly believe that it was a gift, especially after Equestria Girls. I believe that Princess Celestia originally planned on making Sunset Shimmer a princess, but had to go with Twilight after Sunset abandoned her.

...or I could be completely wrong. Just a theory

• Brohoof 1

I watched the episode when twilight became an Ailicorn and I thought it was what she was born to do after princess celesta said it the time has come to fofil her destiny so yeah

Well I guess we will find out in season 4 if it was a gift or not don't know but I'm sure that's what she was born to do who knows like I said we will probably find out in season 4

@Mane Six brings up a good point. I think anyone Celestia mentors would've became the next alicorn ruler. But its still up to the individual to make sure that they accept Celestia's teachings and meet certain specifications, or else they will fail. Sunset shimmer would've been the next one had she not become evil, and also Celestia mentions that Starswirl may have become the next ruler had he not been stubborn and learned about friendship. It could also be said that Twilight wouldn't have ever become an alicorn without Celestia's interference. So my guess is that Celestia has to mentor the pony, and if they follow her teachings and discover things for themselves, they will pass her test and be greatly rewarded as a new leader.

TL;DR: Gift. Celestia can teach any unicorn how to make it happen, but only if she chooses them, and they have to do what she says or it won't happen. Whoever's most obedient and shows potential wins the race to become next leader. Twilight won that race.

Edited by crazitaco

@Mane Six brings up a good point. I think anyone Celestia mentors would've became the next alicorn ruler. But its still up to the individual to make sure that they accept Celestia's teachings and meet certain specifications, or else they will fail. Sunset shimmer would've been the next one had she not become evil, and also Celestia mentions that Starswirl may have become the next ruler had he not been stubborn and learned about friendship. It could also be said that Twilight wouldn't have ever become an alicorn without Celestia's interference. So my guess is that Celestia has to mentor the pony, and if they follow her teachings and discover things for themselves, they will pass her test and be greatly rewarded as a new leader.

TL;DR: Gift. Celestia can teach any unicorn how to make it happen, but only if she chooses them, and they have to do what she says or it won't happen. Whoever's most obedient and shows potential wins the race to become next leader. Twilight won that race.

Stars Swirl couldn't have been mentored by Celestial, he was mentoring Clover the Clever in Hearts Warming Eve, and that was much before the sisters ruled Equestrian because the races weren't helping each other out, and Celestial did say something about Discord being ruler before them or something. I'm assuming it was before they were even born.

I prefer to go with the view that Twilight mostly managed on her own and it was in part to her being one of the Bearers of the Elements. Celestia's guidance was helpful, but not necessary.

• 2 weeks later...