Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Game Discussion: Which is worse? Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic 06

Geek0zoid

I would actually choose Shadow the Hedgehog. Believe it or not, while playing Sonic '06, I don't actually recall running into any glitches that directly interfered with the gameplay. I found Sonic's stages really fun to play compared with Shadow's and Silver's. I also really liked the story, because screw time paradoxes.

I... think I almost enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog just as much? But back then, I was pretty much more into the actual gameplay than anything else, so I didn't mind the graphics, which, looking back, do look heavily dated. And the guns? I just ignored them. Also, the swords have ammo???

I am aware that they're both pretty bad games, but I had pretty low standards back then, and I still enjoy these games today.

Never played Sonic '06 but it does look pretty bad from what I've seen.
I can tell you from experience that Shadow is pretty bad though, don't remember it extremely well but I don't remember it being very fun.
Sonic Heroes was also pretty crappy. dry.png

I really don't get why lots of people think Sonic Heroes was a bad game. I actually had so much fun with it, and I consider it my favourite 3D Sonic. The story was very bland compared to the adventure games, but I usually don't mind stories when it comes to Sonic. Movement may have also been quite slippery, but it was really fun to take advantage of it to get the fastest time you can. But if you're planning to get it, just don't get the PS2 version due to control glitches and framerate issues.

Edited by Mars Brownie

Sonic 06, just Sonic 06. Let's forget subjective opinions and look at the fact it's broken on a technical level and full of horrendous glitches that no respectable company would leave in a game upon release. It's also worth noting that it's so unfinished that the manual(which is based on the game it should've been) seems to be from a completely different product and lists mechanics and power-ups that arn't even in it.  

You know about the time I gave up? I couldn't finish a level I died on because the game literally did not re-spawn a collapsing platform when i died, rending the level uncompletable unless I wanted to reset the whole thing. 

I have not extensively played both, but my vote has to go to Sonic 06. While Shadow had some very bad design and bad concepts, I think 06 was more horrendous because it was a next gen title. It was running on much more powerful hardware than what Shadow was on. I mean, 06 was the first Sonic game of the new generation and it turned out horrible. Even worse, you could see where the potential for a great Sonic game could have been within the badness. Shadow, not so much. I know that sounds like a positive thing on 06's part but at least Shadow's crappiness is easier to accept. With Sonic 06, the whole time I am think "This game could have been great but...ugh".

I'm gonna break the mold here and say that as badly designed as Sonic 06 is, I would have to say that I actually preferred it to Shadow the Hedgehog. Sonic 06 was a technical mess that was plagued by numerous glitches, poor controls, faulty level designs, and weak gameplay all-around. Despite that, I actually found some fun in it. Call me crazy. Call me insane. Heck, maybe I'm even a masochist here, but I am being completely honest when I say that I've actually finished the game entirely and received all of the Xbox achievements for it. Twice.

There's some inexplicable thing about the game that's fun for me. Even though the gameplay is broken, there's still a degree of enjoyment to be found once you conjure up the patience of Job and learn the game's every nook and cranny, especially for those town stages that require multiple loading screens. If you can handle enough trial and error, you can eventually avoid the glitchier aspects of the game.

As for Shadow the Hedgehog, it gets props for at least being a complete package. It's just a very very mediocre one. For starters, most of the stage designs are terrible and the gunplay is severely flawed and uninteresting. The concept of being able to choose a "good" path or a "bad" path is a nice idea, but no matter which path you choose, the gameplay and the storyline are both uninspired and dull. I'm probably biased for saying this, but the dark and "edgy" undertones are so forced and unnatural that it's just off-putting.

The main reason I like 06 better than Shadow the Hedgehog is the variety. In Shadow, you're constantly running and shooting. Sonic 06 offered different playable characters, and there were instances where things would change up a bit, ie: super speed zones, princess stages, Shadow's vehicle segments, and playing as secondary characters like Blaze and Omega. Silver the Hedgehog's gameplay was a welcome breath of fresh air, and was probably the least flawed of the main game styles. You will get no argument from me that Shadow the Hedgehog is a much more polished game than Sonic 06, and I don't blame anyone for preferring Shadow's game. I just happen to like Sonic 06 better strictly for having more content, variety, and a fun factor that can't be explained. In the end, they're two turds from the same punch bowl, and I wouldn't recommend either one. img-1897166-1-tongue.png

Edited by Sugar Cube

And now I will prove that both of these games are hardly as bad as some of the things that the fan community (in china) has bombarded our senses with a horrible everything that makes both of these games look like the Mona Lisa in comarison

Of the 2 games though

'06 is by far worse

I couldn't even play 06 it was so buggy and the controls were horrible so i'd say thats worse for me as I never played StH.

StH is just nonsense, guns and vehicles, really?? ultimate lifeform, super speed, chaos control? why is he using weapons. he could probably ourrun the damn bullets and punch the targets before the bullet had even left the chamber! xD

Shadow The Hedgehog is hardly a bad game. It's just bad for Sonic standards. It's gameplay was okay, and the story wasn't terrible. I actually enjoyed the game. Kinda.

Sonic '06. What can I possibly say about this game that hasn't already been said?

*Thinks*

Oh. I'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea-dump in my ear than play that game.

That's original, right??

Sonic 06 by a long shot. At least Shadow the Hedgehog was actually playable and had it's entertaining moments. Sonic 06, I cannot say the same thing for.

I've only played Shadow's game, and that was ages ago and I can't remember a thing about it... shows how memorable it was. Although after seeing Game Grumps play 06, I think I prefer Shadow's game haha

Edited by Raritas