Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the fandom divided? Not something I can answer in a single post, something that needs a lot of discussion I think.
I'll get the ball rolling with my overly depressing take on things.  sad.png

The R34, the terrible (yet praised) fan-fic the militant attitudes of some, and the downright creepiness of what I will call 'elite' bronies be it popular musicians/youtubers whatever the people who form a tight nit community within the brony community itself and then set there own rules. Just spend some time on YouTube and elsewhere eventually you'll see what I mean. I can deal with all that.

What russles my jimmies however is the increasingly fractured state of the brony community. Forming into sub-groups based on drama and ultimately leading many to become simply more interested in being part of a 'counter-culture' than being a fan of what they are in the fandom for in the first place.

Twilicorn, equestria girls. And the one that russled my jimmies was actually the brony documentary. 300,000 dollars to be part of and excuse my language here but there is no other way to express this: a massive circle jerk of the community in a completely biased and sycophant fashion, that has caused me to lose respect for everyone involved in production as well as some of the brony community.

I have avoided all fan bases since Pokemon generation one when I was still a nieve kid myself.

The utopia of the fandom has either been lost or it was never there in the first place. I sometimes wonder if having found the show in total isolation of the fandom would have been better. 

Perhaps there is hope. To me the finding of the show itself merely a year ago was a small light in a very dark world.  

Well now that I've cheered everyone up. I'll end this post   

• Brohoof 5

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

Let's get this started.

Personally, I enjoyed Twilicorn and Equestria Girls and thought the documentary was....okay? Didn't really care for it. 

But, fandoms usually do get divided on different issues that's just how fandoms are. Not everyone will agree with everything, we're only human, after all.

There will be small groups within the brony fandom (cloppers, youtubers, artists and musicians) but that's to be expected. 

Personally...the fandom has brought me more happiness than sadness...and I'm glad I found out about it.

• Brohoof 11

I have no problems with most of the things of this fandom. I find Twilight being an alicorn a great idea. Maybe if they made a 2 part episode it would'nt met such hatred.

The only things that i feel divided is EQG, but i already stated my point more than once, so i won't repeat my self.

• Brohoof 5

I will admit I am becoming more distant from the fandom. The elitism and arrogance seems to be increasing and that just annoys me to no end. There are other reasons too, like the extreme hatred of change from some. This is where I think the fandom is indeed divided to so,e degree. It seems there are now different sub groups of supporters and non-supporters, which is a bit disappointing.

I am probably one of the biggest fans of Twilicorn and I really enjoyed Equestria Girls, despite it's flaws, but now it seems these things just have different opinions going everywhere. That is all it comes down to though, opinions. That is perfectly fine, but the sheer negativity from quite a few people after all of this, while it has dropped a decent amount, it makes me feel that this fandom is just not the same, and not in a good way. Change can be great, that being one of the many reasons to why I love Twilicorn, but the fandom has changed a bit in a negative light. Hopefully it bounces back.

I've definitely noticed that the fandom is breaking into groups based on opinions on things (Twilicorn, EqG), the controversy of R34, etc. Also, as the fandom grows larger, it's more likely that bronies will come across other bronies they won't get along with. It's saddening to see this :( and I try my best to befriend everybrony, even if we don't see eye to eye. In the end, we all love the same show, and I hope that we can all be kind and accepting toward one another despite differences in opinion.

Considering I dropped the "brony" label not too long ago, I see the Fandom as divided, as Abraham Lincoln has said "A house divided cannot stand on it's own", I think it can apply to this fandom.

On one side, you have the ones that absolutely hate Equestria Girls, Twilicorn, and complain about everything, while on another, you have the ones that worship Lauren Faust and Tara Strong, and love Equestria Girls and Twilicorn.

So it is true, that the Fandom is now a house divided. 

• Brohoof 5

The problem isn't that people in the fandom disagree over things. That is only natural, if the people involved aren't a group of robots or something. The problem comes when people are unable to accept the viewpoints of others and behave civilly around each other. Even if people have drastically different opinions over something, that doesn't have to be inherently divisive. Some of my best friends on this site happen to share dramatically different opinions from me on several controversial things, both related to MLP and unrelated to it.

Though some members of the fandom have certainly irked me at times, I'm still glad to be a part of it.

• Brohoof 10

Well, there is no such thing as a perfect fandom, i think that people have to realize that no matter how good a fandom is, there will always be division, and differences, and fights, and arguements, and well everything, we are a fandom yes, we all like MLP yes, but we don't all have the same opinions, thoughts, and beliefs, on the show or many other things.

So yes, there is a sort of division in a sense, but its present everywhere, anywhere, you just have places its present in lesser amounts. One of these places i find is here.

Sure we have division, but unless humans were simply robots, thats inevitable, the thing is we have a group of caring people for the most part, who are willing to be mostly accepting of others, sure not totally accepting, but compared to alot of places more accepting. 

If it wasn't for the fandom here i'd be gone crazy frankly, because of the fandom i have people who can cheer me up, along with a show that helps to, and the show is pretty awesome i think anyways.

Will everyone agree with me, well duh no, of course not, but if everyone had the same opinions we'd be robots, the world would be boring.

The goal is to despite having differences, try and refrain from as much division as possible.

Will it or has it ever been perfect? No, and it never will as a sad truth, but we as a fandom can make the most of it.

Saying that division is happening is cool, but through action and action alone do we the members of the fandom create a closer community.

If we're all wanting the other guy to be the one to be more united, and we don't do our part, then well there might not be any unity at all.

Be the change you want to see. Or atleast strive towards it, you can't change the fandom, or the world, but you can do your part.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I will admit I am becoming more distant from the fandom. The elitism and arrogance seems to be increasing and that just annoys me to no end. There are other reasons too, like the extreme hatred of change from some. This is where I think the fandom is indeed divided to so,e degree. It seems there are now different sub groups of supporters and non-supporters, which is a bit disappointing.

Yeah I'm not liking the little groups the fandom is fracturing into, I don't expect people to agree on everything but the way the fandom is segregated is disappointing. And the drama can range from anything to sad to kind of funny depending on how trivial, but I hope things cool off when S4 comes out 

Edited by Gamer Twilight

What do you expect? That we all are one monotonous, but happy and united community?

That's not how humans work. Our diversity makes us stronger and if there are things that cause people to choose different paths, I'd say "That's life!"

I wouldn't say that I don't have any problems with the fandom, but the - for me - good things outweight the bad things. If there are groups, fine, but we still have one thing in common and that's the show. It's the basis. It's like with every society, sub-society or community. One basis, different opinions and interpretations or ways how we deal with it.

That development is - for me - natural.

• Brohoof 7

Considering I dropped the "brony" label not too long ago, I see the Fandom as divided, as Abraham Lincoln has said "A house divided cannot stand on it's own", I think it can apply to this fandom.

On one side, you have the ones that absolutely hate Equestria Girls, Twilicorn, and complain about everything, while on another, you have the ones that worship Lauren Faust and Tara Strong, and love Equestria Girls and Twilicorn.

I found my response to fandom drama luke warm. I don't follow faust or Tara Strong, and found EQ to be rather meh. The Twilicorn debacle is something that techincally never got a resolution so there isn't much point in getting upset over it. Twilight either is or isn't going to remain in the current form for S4. I think it could go either way at this point. There have been so many dramas and I like to give my 2 bits in all of them, but at the end of the day I've always been a fan but never a 'brony' for the simple fact I have no bronies I know IRL :(

• Brohoof 1

The fandom is pretty divided where we have two groups in the fandom. One group where, the bronies think that they are the most elite group of people in the world who like to be arrogant and obnoxious. While, the other group is the bronies who show their pride in the fandom and usually support change. To be honest, we are like a house divided like a government.

• Brohoof 3

This fandom will be fine untill Hasbro gives ponies handguns, turns Twilight Sparkle into a Werehorse and has awkward inter-species kiss scenes with human royalty. I've heard too much drama involving those scenarios.

• Brohoof 2

It is what it is. This fandom is nearly 3 years old with both a small decline in quality in s3 and with EQGirls being a big diversion from what mlp is about. The year off is hurting us the most and yes certain people have gained enough fame to abandon us or to have a pretty massive ego. It's a shame that fads and fanbases eventually suffer under their own weight and that is happening but the end is not here yet.

• Brohoof 1

I feel that most of the people who are seeing this all as fracturing and fatal are those who haven't been a part of such a group before. We may have our issues with Equestria Girls and Twilicorn, but we are no where near as fractured as the Doctor Who fandom over the new series. It's just natural and human, since people don't always agree on things and not everyone has the capacity to tolerate that.

Not to say that this isn't upsetting at all. Of course in fighting isn't good, but we have already been through so much without falling into groups that out right hate each other on sight. We've been through one of the roughest periods we'll probably ever have to face, as it was the first time we had major in fighting with these two things, and we'll be ready for it when it comes again, and it will, in the future.

As to R34 and celebrities, as much as some of use may know are be concerned about this stuff, most really don't, or just flat out ignore it. Unless you're a die hard fan, those issues usually don't creep up in people's thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, guys, listening to your debates i'm feeling a bit stupid about myself (needless to say out of fandom)

Just can somepony expain me two things - what's wrong in having different views, and what the hell of "aristocratism" (elite of brony? oh whatsaever) is it? I've never heard of someone to being jerk just about some "status"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCV_3XeVGg

• Brohoof 1

I have no problem with others views, as the show has taught us "Love and tolerate"I can love and or tolerate almost anypony. You hate Twilicorn? okay. Oh you hate shipping? okay. to each their own.

though the fans I can't tolerate are the "Elitists" in the fandom that think they're better than everypony else because how good their art is or how good their costume is or how well they do panels at conventions...

• Brohoof 2

I feel that regardless what fandom you are in, there will ALWAYS be disagreements within it. true, of all the fandoms i'm a part of, this has the most controversies and such, but still we are united even with all the different views and backgrounds. and that's why i love it!

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's divided, it's only normal that there are some that didn't like for example Twilicorn and then others that liked it. It's just normal, we aren't divided we are just being individuals. Besides, being a brony is just liking ponies. So as long as you're a fan of the show then you're a brony.

If you hate Twilicorn, you're still a brony. If you hated EQG you're still a brony I'm just saying we are all bronies. We aren't divided, we are just having a healthy debate. Like would you people prefer that everyone would have just been like, "OMG, I LOVE TWILICORN, SHE'S DE BEST PRINCESS!" lol or "EQG WAS AWESOME, everything is bucking awesome I will not criticize anything or have any opinions.

Like seriously, I have seen people whining about the fandom being kind of like a hive mind or something. The thing is, it's normal that we discuss or debate such topics like EQG that's why we're here. We are not only here to say how much we loved it but also to criticize it. So no, I don't think we're divided we are all still bronies, being a brony doesn't mean that you have to love and tolerate. Being a brony doesn't mean that you have to follow some rules or something. Being a brony, only means that you're a fan of the show.

So let's keep it short, we aren't divided we are a fandom of My little pony, we discuss my little pony that includes Twilicorn. Some like it, some don't we debate and discuss it. We don't necessarily come to a conclusion but we still discuss it. We are adult fans, we should be able to handle some debates without being all butthurt about it. Besides, the fandom is stronger then we think and even if it was divided it wouldn't matter we would still always be united because we are still fans of the same show. I don't know, I'm very active within the community and from my point of view we currently aren't divided. Nobody cares about Twilicorn anymore and the majority loved EQG. So just stop overthinking it and feel depressed about it, just enjoy being a part of the fandom. Also what I've noticed or learned is that there are just some people that just want to feel miserable. They keep whining about how the fandom is dying or going downhill that's just how some people are. So let's all just shut the buck up and enjoy the show and our wonderful fandom.

Becoming a brony has made me very happy and if anything I wish I could have become a brony earlier. Brony for life!

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 8

What annoys me is not that people disagree over these things it is that some people can't seem to be able to do so without being jackasses. For rule 34 I honestly don't why anyone should give a damn what people do in private, I can respect it is not your thing but "ew you jerk off to ponies" is such a childish, immature and petty attitude to take. I have no issue with people supporting or opposing twilicorn but my god some of the arguments for and against it are horrible from fear based arguments with little evidence like "Twilight will leave her friends" to the smug take it or leave it arguments of some supporters. I opposed it at first but then became neutral, but still have some sympathies toward the critics who have pointed out the flaws of twilicorn in a thoughtful intelligent manner. And for Equestria Girls though I had my doubts I just didn't see the point of joining the panic party because it was only a spinoff and it turned out to be way better than I thought it would be.

• Brohoof 3

Some points

1)people disagree, that's life. It happens in every fandom on earth. I can name things endlessly that caused uproar in it's fandoms, every new Doctor, Highlander 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 06, to many comic book arcs and stories to count, every Elder Scrolls game made since Morrowind, that wasn't Morrowind, Fallout 3(and New Vegas), The Star Wars Prequels, every single new piece of Star Trek Media... 

2)People need to stop complaining about the Brony Doc, it really grinds MY gears that people wanted to see the drama and bullshit covered. I enjoyed that we just got something fun and heartwarming to watch.

3)I can't say this enough, I REALLY want the rose tinted glassed you all wore at the start, There's bullshit as far back as season 1. Over A Barrel, Feeling Pinkie Keen, Cupcakes, [NAME OF FIC REDACTED TO PRESERVE YOUR SANITY], Season 2 in general(yes, there's people that disown season 2 out there).

4)Welcome to the herd, I hope you take the upper into consideration and enjoy your stay,   

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

Sure the fandom is divided, on many issues. But really, we havn't divided apart.

Its not like in some fandoms that are basicly in arms against each other.

Do I say the fandom is divided? Honestly this is just what happens in fandoms really. All fandoms have things that divide fan opinions. Most say Twilicorn jumped the shark, some say Equestria Girls is horrid, and most are just in the neutral side of things

In a sense that can be considered divided, but we still all hold together well as a fandom. We just have our different opinions on things

Everyone is going to disagree on something, but in the end as-long as we still like MLP we are all Bronies.

Lets imagine us twenty years after MLP FiM is done and over. I doubt most of us will look back and say, "I really hated those cloppers," or, "Twilicorn was stupid." Most of us will remember our Fandom united and the great things about it. We aren't really separated because the term Brony wouldn't exist if we were all in different little groups. We just have disagreements like any really really large family has.