Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash in Future Episodes

Comet Tail

So there's two things that spur this thread...

1.) "Read and Weep" had her become a brony egghead. A lot of who Rainbow Dash is, how she defines herself, is "not-egghead", but "athlete". She had the psychology of a athlete hater, but now she loves reading MLP:FiM.

If you don't mind, read this, it's a lengthy thing about what was going on in Rainbow Dash's head, but if TL;DR:

She defined herself as "athlete", and at the same time, in the same action, defined herself as not the opposite of athlete, which is "egghead". Because of the natural desire for a foundation of who you are, which helps you make guides every single decision in your life, from huge life-changing decisions, to what to spend the next 10 minutes doing every day, everyone wants to define themselves. Some people choose stereotypes, it's easy because you quickly "know" yourself that way, so you know what decisions to make.

But, she's become an "egg-head", shattering all those notions. What results, can be a huge intensely confusing time where a person has to completely redefine who they are, their values, their purpose in life, everything, it will entirely re-write their self-definition. And you see the world through your eyes, so that means changing how they see the world, too. Even if they re-write a lot of the same things as before, it will all be re-written.

The starting point, foundation of her world has just been destroyed. She based herself, her entire purpose in life, off the idea of being a great athlete. But now, in her own words: "I'm an Egghead!"

This is exactly the time, the event, that will cause her to question her dreams and purpose. Why does she want to join the Wonderbolts? What's the point? To be the best? But what's the point?

2.) Now, the best part is, there's already a powder keg here: Rainbow Dash, the Nervous Wreck Prodigy

Sorry, I'm not gonna sum up this one, you'll just have to skim it :P

-

So, what next? She's definitely doing things now she never would've dreamed of. She laughed at the idea of reading, but now, in the latest episode, we see her hanging out with Twilight (Egghead), in the library, verociously reading Daring Doo. And, is it just me - she's hardly had many lines or anything - but she even seems softer now.

What happens, when her biggest, only big interest in life, joining the high-adrenaline, thrilling, action-packed Wonderbolts, becomes less interesting to her because she loves sitting inside, reading fiction?

Okay, maybe she can change and become an "egghead" despite her previous idea that it was the very opposite of who she was without a crisis, but, IRL anyways, this sort of thing is not going to happen easily.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it. I dunno if the show would really go somewhere so deep and really delge into this.

But then again, we did have "Party of One", and Pinkie Pie's purpose in life is to make people smile. She failed, so in her mind: "My friends don't like my parties and they don't want to be my friends anymore...". Her very purpose was to make them happy by being their friend that they love, and throw parties that they love. What that thought really means is "I've completely failed my purpose, I have no purpose." Then we had the snap, and a complete and total change in personality until she realized she hadn't failed in the first place.

Rainbow Dash has based her entire life and her dreams - becoming a Wonderbolt - on the idea that she's a star athlete, and could be the best in Equestria. But now, she's not even sure she's an athlete anymore "I'm an egghead!". Her very purpose in life, all her ambitions, hopes, dreams, were based on the idea that she would be a great athlete and not an egghead. But now she no longer believes she's purely an athlete. She called herself and egghead and meant it!

And this time, she isn't going to have a moment of realization that brings her back to her old self, like Pinkie Pie had. Nope, she's really changed! She "hates to admit it", but she really loves MLP:FiM reading!

If they did do a "Rainbow Dash Snap" episode, then they could even cover a great moral: we don't have to conform to stereotypes, she can be an athlete and an egghead! (jock and a nerd, more like).

Anyways, what do ya think?

Wild Goose Chase?

Posted Image

Or Future Episode?

Posted Image

...Or just a change in personality of Rainbow Dash? (Like occasionally reading in Twilight's library-house instead of just practicing to join the Wonderbolts all the time)

Which would also mean missing a great episode opportunity...

Thoughts, discussion...? :huh:

Sorry, I really don't know how to end a post : p

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 1

How does one reply to a topic that in depth?

I would love for the writers to show a contrast between Rainbow's athleticism and her love for literature. From what I've heard one of the main reasons that people don't find RD as there favourite pony is because there is nothing in depth about her character/personality and while I don't think that is strictly true I would love the idea of the producers delving further into RD's character and perhaps showing us as she questions the integrity of her Wonderbolt's dream?

That's about it really, not as in depth as your piece but I said what I wanted to say! :)

P.S No matter what happens, Rainbow will always be my favourite pony.

Personally, I am of the opinion that we will be seeing Rainbow Dash reading in similar manners as we did in A Friend in Deed, where she's just taking some time out of her day to read at the library. Rainbow Dash isn't quite the type of pony to let her whole focus be captured by some new activity, not in the way that Twilight and Pinkie Pie would. She definitely enjoys the Daring Do novels, but she'll still be athletic as well.

However...it is possible that a future episode could have her confronting this issue a bit more deeply. If she begins to read to the point where it interferes with her exercise so much that her performance degrades, that could cause some real conflict for her. However, I'm not sure the show would be fully willing to explore this in a full followup...we haven't seen a followup to Lesson Zero or Party of One yet, when both arguably deserve a followup...but I could be wrong. The show has been trending more and more towards continuity nods and outright invocations of previous episodes, and if that pattern continues Season Three could turn the show towards a much more arc-driven pattern of episodes rather than the pure episodic fashion to works in right now.

Maybe...she will learn to fly and read at the same time!

As someone who has learned how to walk and read at the same time...it's hard enough when you have your feet on the ground to keep from walking into things. I learned how because the regular walks I (used to) take ran along a specific route where there was never anyone or any cars. Even then I would still occasionally trip or run into a tree. Adding a third dimension would probably be too difficult. I realize you were pretty much just joking, but I could honestly see Dashie attempting to read and fly at the same time, with results more disasterous than the ones that landed her in the hospital in the first place.
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, I am of the opinion that we will be seeing Rainbow Dash reading in similar manners as we did in A Friend in Deed, where she's just taking some time out of her day to read at the library. Rainbow Dash isn't quite the type of pony to let her whole focus be captured by some new activity, not in the way that Twilight and Pinkie Pie would. She definitely enjoys the Daring Do novels, but she'll still be athletic as well.

However...it is possible that a future episode could have her confronting this issue a bit more deeply. If she begins to read to the point where it interferes with her exercise so much that her performance degrades, that could cause some real conflict for her. However, I'm not sure the show would be fully willing to explore this in a full followup...we haven't seen a followup to Lesson Zero or Party of One yet, when both arguably deserve a followup...but I could be wrong. The show has been trending more and more towards continuity nods and outright invocations of previous episodes, and if that pattern continues Season Three could turn the show towards a much more arc-driven pattern of episodes rather than the pure episodic fashion to works in right now.

As someone who has learned how to walk and read at the same time...it's hard enough when you have your feet on the ground to keep from walking into things. I learned how because the regular walks I (used to) take ran along a specific route where there was never anyone or any cars. Even then I would still occasionally trip or run into a tree. Adding a third dimension would probably be too difficult. I realize you were pretty much just joking, but I could honestly see Dashie attempting to read and fly at the same time, with results more disasterous than the ones that landed her in the hospital in the first place.

I disagree because while flying there are less obstacles to run into.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree because while flying there are less obstacles to run into.

It's not just about running into obstacles. It's also about managing one's altittude, staying aloft and in flight, as well as determining the proper direction to fly in...flying is extremely difficult. Navigating in three dimensions is much harder than navigating in just two. If you don't believe me, find a piece of free flight simulator software and try your hand at it sometime. You'll quickly find out just how hard it is.

It's not just about running into obstacles. It's also about managing one's altittude, staying aloft and in flight, as well as determining the proper direction to fly in...flying is extremely difficult. Navigating in three dimensions is much harder than navigating in just two. If you don't believe me, find a piece of free flight simulator software and try your hand at it sometime. You'll quickly find out just how hard it is.

flight sims are easy. also if you have wings it becomes second nature. much easier than unicycling.

So you are telling me Rainbow will get fat?!

I was actually afraid she might gain some weight after the events of Read It and Weep, at least for awhile, during the periods she kept off her wings. Rainbow Dash, like any athlete, is used to eating a certain amount of food, an amount she eats because she needs a lot of energy for all the activity she regularly participates in. If she ceases much or all of that activity, but continues to eat the same amount, she will naturally gain weight.

However, Dashie enjoys flying far too much to give up her regular exercise, so I don't think there is any serious worry of her becoming permanantly overweight.

flight sims are easy. also if you have wings it becomes second nature. much easier than unicycling.

You seem to be missing the point. Walking is second nature, but, like flying, a lot of what makes it so easy is the constant attention you're focusing on what you're doing. You're looking around, noting obstacles, noting the surface of the ground as you walk along it, observing, and otherwise paying attention. In order to read a book, you must devote almost all of your conscious attention on the book, which makes performing a task like walking much harder because you're taking away most of the input you need that makes walking so easy.

Flying would be even more difficult, because second nature or no, there are just too many additional factors that you have to take into account while you're doing it, factors that require your attention.

Frankly I don't think Dashie could successfully read and fly at the same time. She would crash, I guarantee you.

I was actually afraid she might gain some weight after the events of Read It and Weep, at least for awhile, during the periods she kept off her wings. Rainbow Dash, like any athlete, is used to eating a certain amount of food, an amount she eats because she needs a lot of energy for all the activity she regularly participates in. If she ceases much or all of that activity, but continues to eat the same amount, she will naturally gain weight.

However, Dashie enjoys flying far too much to give up her regular exercise, so I don't think there is any serious worry of her becoming permanantly overweight.

You seem to be missing the point. Walking is second nature, but, like flying, a lot of what makes it so easy is the constant attention you're focusing on what you're doing. You're looking around, noting obstacles, noting the surface of the ground as you walk along it, observing, and otherwise paying attention. In order to read a book, you must devote almost all of your conscious attention on the book, which makes performing a task like walking much harder because you're taking away most of the input you need that makes walking so easy.

Flying would be even more difficult, because second nature or no, there are just too many additional factors that you have to take into account while you're doing it, factors that require your attention.

Frankly I don't think Dashie could successfully read and fly at the same time. She would crash, I guarantee you.

She's rainbow dash. Flying with your body is not as touchy as flying with an airplane, with an airplane it is more like a rigid body and there is significant lag between you and the aircraft response. With your body you have more control and you can feel the airspeed directly. If you mess up you can recover nearly instantly whereas airplanes have long and dangerous stall periods. Edited by glitterlicious

I think Twilight tries to make Rainbow Dash no longer a athlete, please stop Twilight.

I completely disagree. When I try to convince people watch mlp, I don't expect them to just disregard their other hobbies just for the show. The same goes for Rainbow Dash and her reading, I can easily see her reading books while still getting enough practice in for the wonderbolts.

As for flying while reading, don't you think that may get to the point where it's in the way? I mean, I don't think she could still be doing all of her flips and tricks with a book in front of her but that's just me. I see no problem with making time in your schedule to explore other activities especially because when she isn't flying she is probably sleeping. Don't you think she could give up a little napping time for reading without sacrificing too much energy? I think it's entirely possible.

I also don't think that someone like Dashie would easily phase out her flying practice. She has come so far already that I don't think she would let her flying skill decrease at all. We are talking about somepony who has done the sonic rainboom here, not just some average flier. She is way to focused on her dream to let books change her ways (That doesn't mean that they won't interfere with her dreams).

These are just my thoughts based on what I've seen from the character so far.

Well, I love MLP, but that doesn't mean I stopped any of my other activities. It perfectly reasonable to develop a new interest without dropping any of your others. Maybe next time Rainbow wants to write an autobiography, she actually will do it herself!

"The Sonic Rainboom and I: Achieving Your Full Potential"

By Rainbow Dash

(I would read it!)

She's rainbow dash. Flying with your body is not as touchy as flying with an airplane, with an airplane it is more like a rigid body and there is significant lag between you and the aircraft response. With your body you have more control and you can feel the airspeed directly. If you mess up you can recover nearly instantly whereas airplanes have long and dangerous stall periods.

It depends on the aircraft... Old aircraft, and even many modern ones have direct cable or hydraulic controls, they react instantly to your commands just as nicely as if it were your body. I've actually had my hand on controls of aircraft a number of times. It's really an amazing experience. When you hold a sword, a good swordsman can feel like the sword is part of his body, an extension of himself. A good pilot is the same way. You don't feel like you're in the cockpit/flightdeck holding a control stick, you feel like you are the aircraft, it's wings are your wings.

In fact, airline pilots (which is a highly competitive field) go through some rigerous tests. One of them involves taking the aircraft to the very limits, holding it right at the edge of a stall, without stalling it. No instruments can give that level of precision, in order to do what's required, you have to have that natural feel where you can feel the aircraft.

But really advanced aircraft that use computers to send the commands have some lag. The space shuttle is the very worst, I assume. It has an awful sluggish lag, but kinda makes up for it with the fact that it's 109 tons so it hardly feels any turbulence (while it's gliding back to the runway). But the B-2 may be a pretty bad flyer, too. After all, it has no vertical stabalizers (vertical tail fin)! If it weren't for the computers, it would be impossible for it to fly.

I think there's a lot of skill element to it. If you think flight sims are really hard, you've probably flown one that uses all-or-nothing commands. Those bother the heck out of me. You pull up, they pull up all the way, there's no continuum of a gentle pull, or a medium pull, or a hard pull, etc. and that applies for pitch, yaw, and roll. If actual flying was like that, I think it would be so unsafe we wouldn't have common air travel. Flying is all about getting the feel for it to give the right amount of pressure to the different commands. I've seen a friend try to fly a sim once, and he was jerking the stick as hard as he could. It was an atrocious sight. That's not how you fly...

But really, I have kinda mixed feelings on this. I think the two would be roughly the same, reading while flying or walking. Flying a Cessna, I'm no pilot, but I've done it for a good ten minutes, managing altitude, roll, and climb rate isn't too difficult. Aerodynamics keeps your yaw fine, that's no worry (thanks to vertical stabalizers). It would probably get easier with practice, and there certainly is a lot of natural skill involved, but I'm guessing any pegasi would be born with that.

All-in-all, pegasi don't try to stay in an altitude range on a guage, keep a constant climb rate on a guage, or keep the course right on the exact degree, and they can feel the air. So get some good altitude, fly gently, and it would probably be easier than reading while walking. You can't (or rather, chances are rediculously slim) hit anything, and if you start to drift down you'll feel it, and if you don't, it'll be so gradual you only have to check every so often, just like while walking, except even less often than that.

My biggest concern is actually reading the pages with all that wind rushing by. Try reading a book with ~30-100 mph winds rushing by!

This has been an interesting digression :P

I completely disagree. When I try to convince people watch mlp, I don't expect them to just disregard their other hobbies just for the show. The same goes for Rainbow Dash and her reading, I can easily see her reading books while still getting enough practice in for the wonderbolts.

As for flying while reading, don't you think that may get to the point where it's in the way? I mean, I don't think she could still be doing all of her flips and tricks with a book in front of her but that's just me. I see no problem with making time in your schedule to explore other activities especially because when she isn't flying she is probably sleeping. Don't you think she could give up a little napping time for reading without sacrificing too much energy? I think it's entirely possible.

I also don't think that someone like Dashie would easily phase out her flying practice. She has come so far already that I don't think she would let her flying skill decrease at all. We are talking about somepony who has done the sonic rainboom here, not just some average flier. She is way to focused on her dream to let books change her ways (That doesn't mean that they won't interfere with her dreams).

These are just my thoughts based on what I've seen from the character so far.

But the question will come; which does she enjoy more? We've seen her reading veraciously with a smile, she loves it. But her entire life she's always dreamed of, and loves, the thrill of flying and the joining the Wonderbolts. So what does she do for the next hour, practice flying, doing tricks, or reading? If she had a real boring job of some kind that took eight hours a day, what would she look forward to doing in her spare time afterwards?

Her entire life so far has been dedicated to flying and the dream of joining the Wonderbolts. But now, she's got to wonder, is that really all there is in life for her? Maybe it's not so much just reading, but the idea that there's more out there than just flying. It's like what pencils wrote in her "Rainbow Dash: Nervous Wreck Prodigy", she strongly resisted the idea that she was anything other than an athlete because it scared her deep down, and she didn't realize why, she didn't even question it, she just had a huge disgust at the idea that she was anything other than an athlete. Especially "egghead", the opposite of athlete.

Being a wonderbolt is the epitome of the two things she loves most: being famous, a champion, a hero everyone can look up to (Rainbow), and extreme flying/speed/thrill (Dash). It's so much of who she is it's written in her name and her cutie mark. And the purpose of life for someone is written in who they are.

But what does reading have to do with either of those? It's the opposite of those! (at least in her mind) Yet she loves it! It doesn't mean she can't be an athlete, but it means, is being an athlete really what she wants? She begins to question her very mission and desires in life, and who she is.

How does one reply to a topic that in depth?

I would love for the writers to show a contrast between Rainbow's athleticism and her love for literature. From what I've heard one of the main reasons that people don't find RD as there favourite pony is because there is nothing in depth about her character/personality and while I don't think that is strictly true I would love the idea of the producers delving further into RD's character and perhaps showing us as she questions the integrity of her Wonderbolt's dream?

That's about it really, not as in depth as your piece but I said what I wanted to say! :)

P.S No matter what happens, Rainbow will always be my favourite pony.

Oh, I hope I didn't make it hard to reply; I didn't mean to :P 'tis a great reply.

I always thought RD was one of the most popular ponies for her adorable, lovable zeal for life. I was shocked she's already out of the best pony competition poll/thread.

After all, she seems to get the most artwork, and she's the pony walking by on the loading bar whenever you edit or post on these forums!

there is nothing wrong with being an athlete and being a big reader :D I happen to be both as well! So I loved the fact that RD likes to read, it gives me something else that I can relate to her with!

Well, yeah, that's the truth of the matter. But the issue isn't so much being an athlete, so much as it is that she has two, seemingly opposite interests: reading and the Wonderbolts.

To someone who's always been and always believes that she was an athlete, she's now re-classifying herself as "egghead", and so now she's going to be confused about who she is and what she wants out of life.

I think I finally managed to sum it all up into one short little paragraph with that last one. Phew, about time I did that!

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 1

Aircraft are big clumsy mechanical things and since your not a bird you would not know that birds are much more nimble. Birds < 1 pound Aircraft > 10 tons

rainbow dash is more similar to a bird

I wouldn't call them big and clumsy... Maybe big, but not clumsy:

I don't know if they look easy, but trust me, that is some really amazing flying. At those kinds of speeds, you could pitch up less than a degree and instantly crash into the other aircraft's wing. The amount of fine control there is staggering. These guys are as good or better than any surgeon, and they have to act very quickly, too.

Well, airplanes aren't always big, either.

Posted Image

True, I'm not a bird. But since you've never flown an airplane, you wouldn't know what flying an airplane is actually like :P

The only way we could really compare the two is to ask a bird that's flown an airplane. But that probably won't happen for awhile ^_^

Anyways, the space shuttle may be a 109 ton sluggish-to-respond glider, but knowing all the info and seeing cockpit HUD-view clips of the landing, I can say those pilots are probably just as good at flying as any bird. I can't possibly articulate how perfect they get everything in those flights. Not fast and nimble like the Blue Angels, though, but just as perfect.

(The shuttle must fly a very precise trajectory that involves a lazy circle when it glides back to the runway, and it takes many, complex related variables that all dynamically interact, all into account and respond correctly. The Guidence Navigation and Control (GNC) computer offers a little cue on the HUD display, a little diamond, the heading of the shuttle is shown as a box. If the diamond is centered in the box, then the shuttle's on course. If you follow the diamond, then the two would wobble, the diamond moves out, you correct and go back to it. But some of the pilots are so good, they know exactly where it will be in a moment, and the two appear to be attached!)

I think Rainbow will be the same person she always is, just she will read more rather than be an athlete all the time. More or less, its anoter intrest she has. I also saw her read another Daring Do book in "A Friend In Deed"

I wouldn't call them big and clumsy... Maybe big, but not clumsy:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_ZB7jqxz8

I don't know if they look easy, but trust me, that is some really amazing flying. At those kinds of speeds, you could pitch up less than a degree and instantly crash into the other aircraft's wing. The amount of fine control there is staggering. These guys are as good or better than any surgeon, and they have to act very quickly, too.

Well, airplanes aren't always big, either.

Posted Image

True, I'm not a bird. But since you've never flown an airplane, you wouldn't know what flying an airplane is actually like :P

The only way we could really compare the two is to ask a bird that's flown an airplane. But that probably won't happen for awhile ^_^

Anyways, the space shuttle may be a 109 ton sluggish-to-respond glider, but knowing all the info and seeing cockpit HUD-view clips of the landing, I can say those pilots are probably just as good at flying as any bird. I can't possibly articulate how perfect they get everything in those flights. Not fast and nimble like the Blue Angels, though, but just as perfect.

(The shuttle must fly a very precise trajectory that involves a lazy circle when it glides back to the runway, and it takes many, complex related variables that all dynamically interact, all into account and respond correctly. The Guidence Navigation and Control (GNC) computer offers a little cue on the HUD display, a little diamond, the heading of the shuttle is shown as a box. If the diamond is centered in the box, then the shuttle's on course. If you follow the diamond, then the two would wobble, the diamond moves out, you correct and go back to it. But some of the pilots are so good, they know exactly where it will be in a moment, and the two appear to be attached!)

actually have I flown an airplane? yes. im afraid birds are much more agile than anything science has to offer. have you ever seen an airplane landing on a twig no. do you know how complicated it is to control an airplane? hundreds of dials. the early airplanes that didn't have any dials were much less safe. birds wings are not rigid bodies. most airplane wings are fixed and limited to 3 axis of freedom. birds have infinite axis of freedom and their flight controls are directly part of themselves...for humans you have to have extensive training and you have to translate your thoughts to your hands then that translates into motion on the joystick then the plane twists. planes are much bigger also. Edited by glitterlicious

actually have I flown an airplane? yes. im afraid birds are much more agile than anything science has to offer. have you ever seen an airplane landing on a twig no. do you know how complicated it is to control an airplane? hundreds of dials. the early airplanes that didn't have any dials were much less safe. birds wings are not rigid bodies. most airplane wings are fixed and limited to 3 axis of freedom. birds have infinite axis of freedom and their flight controls are directly part of themselves...for humans you have to have extensive training and you have to translate your thoughts to your hands then that translates into motion on the joystick then the plane twists. planes are much bigger also.

Cool, but I don't think you got that feeling of the aircraft being an extension of your body. I really doubt it happens with everyone, but it does happen. True, birds are more agile. And really, the bare minimum for controlling an airplane is throttle, engine ignition and a stick. Everything else helps you to be more precise and safe, but isn't actually really necessary for just flying, except maybe the fuel guage :P

Now, you want a complicated vehicle, get Space Shuttle Mission Simulator 2007. You have to work all of actual switches correctly in that, or things go terribly wrong XD

Technically, any object in 4-dimensional spacetime is restricted to 3 axis of freedom. Birds don't have rigid air surfaces, but they, too, can only pitch, yaw, and/or roll in any combination, so can an aircraft.

Rainbow Dash is a born, natural, biological flyer. Yeah, birds have a better sense of flying than an aircraft, but don't dis on airplanes. They aren't clumsy, ungraceful or any of that nonsense. They're elegant, aerodynamic, graceful, beautiful machines. Well, most of them are, anyways...

And it probably really is easier for a pilot than a bird. Perfect example, airline pilots can click a button and the aircraft holds altitude, course and speed. Most of the flight they lounge around in the cockpit doing nothing big, like reading ;)

I think Rainbow will be the same person she always is, just she will read more rather than be an athlete all the time. More or less, its anoter intrest she has. I also saw her read another Daring Do book in "A Friend In Deed"

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm probably just overthinking things. Though what I posted would make an interesing episode, especially if they really are running out of ideas.

Cool, but I don't think you got that feeling of the aircraft being an extension of your body. I really doubt it happens with everyone, but it does happen. True, birds are more agile. And really, the bare minimum for controlling an airplane is throttle, engine ignition and a stick. Everything else helps you to be more precise and safe, but isn't actually really necessary for just flying, except maybe the fuel guage :P

Now, you want a complicated vehicle, get Space Shuttle Mission Simulator 2007. You have to work all of actual switches correctly in that, or things go terribly wrong XD

Technically, any object in 4-dimensional spacetime is restricted to 3 axis of freedom. Birds don't have rigid air surfaces, but they, too, can only pitch, yaw, and/or roll in any combination, so can an aircraft.

Rainbow Dash is a born, natural, biological flyer. Yeah, birds have a better sense of flying than an aircraft, but don't dis on airplanes. They aren't clumsy, ungraceful or any of that nonsense. They're elegant, aerodynamic, graceful, beautiful machines. Well, most of them are, anyways...

And it probably really is easier for a pilot than a bird. Perfect example, airline pilots can click a button and the aircraft holds altitude, course and speed. Most of the flight they lounge around in the cockpit doing nothing big, like reading ;)

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm probably just overthinking things. Though what I posted would make an interesing episode, especially if they really are running out of ideas.

Assuming were not talking about autopilot *sighs* airplanes aren't as easy as you make them out to be. You cannot possibly get the same experience of a bird by flying an airplane. what i meant by 3 axis of freedom was this...you can only rotate on each axis. a bird can rotate on an arbitrary axis, or imaginary axis inbetween the 3 axis.