Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where does your educational background lie?

Onylex

Educatioal backgrounds  

109 users have voted

1. 1. Where does your education lye?

• Home schooled
    • Public schooled
    • Private schooled
    • Online classes
    • College
    • Other means of education and or schooling

Initially I had a public school background in elementary school, then had a Catholic schooling in middle school and high school. Middle school was so-so and I was rather a loner and bullied, my high school was all boys still quite a lot of bullies, jerks and overall douchebag classmates AND teachers. The hormone levels for an all boys school, even a religious one were quite high trust me.

I had average SAT scores and apparently slightly below average scores on Reading Comprehension, so I went to a Cal State public university. The maturity level since high school really drops off at this point. Most if not all the douchebag classmates you've had disappear and there's far less tolerance for obnoxious behavior. You're accountable for yourself in college. After about 2 years I transferred to a much higher ranked private university. Cal state schools, like many public universities are terribly underfunded and lack sufficient basic infrastructure and support. Lots of the students are quite illiterate in the material they learn and require remedial classes, many are part time and/or from low income families and they drop out at higher rates than at other universities.

In both colleges I met a lot of interesting and influential professors, students and other individuals who I still remember now either as friends or distant acquaintances. College life, not just the academic curricula gives you a lot of perspective about the world around you. As a college student, at least for me, it was the first time I was actually my own person, staying in an apartment with my bro of course and you may find the same for yourself. Aside from visiting our parents on weekends occasionally, we made our own meals, spent time with who we wanted to, woke ourselves up, and decided how to best spend our credit and money. College is the first big step to adulthood and its not an experience you should waste. Enjoy it while or if you have the chance.

Now I'm about to start my 1st year of law school in Philadelphia moving over from Los Angeles and I'm staying over here with just my mom who has a new job. Graduate school in and of itself is a whole new experience, but it will be interesting to see where things go from here. Don't take education for granted, but don't be afraid to challenge and question it and supplement it with your own experiences outside.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well for the beggining of my education until

I was going into 8th grade I was homeschooled, after that I decided I wanted to try public school.

So I tried it and overall liked it more, since homeschooling made me feel kinda lonely( I had homeschool group and stuff, but social stuff was scarce.)

I was kinda not that great socially at first, but I think I've got a lot better for the most part.

I'm now in 10th grade and still public schooled, I prefer it to homeschooling frankly.

I have been looking into homeschooling and I want to do it but, I have also heard a lot of things like this^

I dont really want to be alone and I also feel like I wouldn't get much done but, at the same time Im really not into public schooling.

Or rather maybe my public schooling has been terrible. 

If you had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 how lonely is it?

• Brohoof 1

I have been looking into homeschooling and I want to do it but, I have also heard a lot of things like this^

I dont really want to be alone and I also feel like I wouldn't get much done but, at the same time Im really not into public schooling.

Or rather maybe my public schooling has been terrible.

If you had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 how lonely is it?

Well it depends on the person and your experience I suppose.

If you are involved in lots of extracurricular stuff, then frankly it's not that lonely, sure you don't see your friends every single day, but it isn't terribly lonely I suppose.

Problem is i had like a year where I did nothing almost, so I got lonely and curious.

And I dunno, even with extra circular stuff you still get exposed to more people way more really in public school.

I was kinda socially inexperienced going into public school, but that's mostly because I was in homeschooling the whole time beforehand.

Most people who go into it after being in public school enjoy it more.

Idk I just seem to prefer it somehow, you won't really totally like every aspect of either, both still require you to do a good bit of work, just depends which you prefer.

I also just feel like I learn better in public school, as opposed to with my mom and a computer, just me though.

As far as loneliness, it varies a lot frankly. So it's hard to say, I mean up until a year or two before public school I was fine, then my mom took out the majority of my extra circular stuff, and I was quite lonely.

But it's hard to say, people have all kinds of different experiences in homeschooling, mine just wasn't that great in my opinion.

Plus I really love our school band, so I'd never go back anyways :P.

Hope that helps, if not I'm more then happy to answer any other questions to the best of my knowledge.

• Brohoof 1

I was in public school. The amount of hate I developed toward public school exceeds any amount of hate that any person has ever had for something in their lives...I am now in college which is not better by much, but at least it is a smidgeon better. Not saying much though.

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 2

I dropped out of high school my Sophmore year because my high school was full of assholes. I decided if I was going to further my education I would do so independently.

Public school until high school, and then private. Went to college after that. I selected the "other" option as well because I have taught myself quite a few things along the way and afterwards. The quality of instruction was far better at the private school I went to than any public school I attended. That's typically the case. In public schools they were only interested in having us memorize enough things to pass a standardized test, a test that measured nothing of any significance, whereas the private school was interested in having us learn to think. They were also more able and more willing to assist students on an individual basis that were having difficulties. While I still hated the social aspect of it, the educational aspects were better by long shot. Having worked for a public school district several years ago and seeing things from the other side, my opinion of them is even lower.

With all that said, the educational system has virtually nothing to offer anyone by the time they reach high school that they can't seize for themselves.

• Brohoof 1

In a place that uses the proper form of "lie".  "Lye" is a chemical compound found in soap.

I'd call it semi-educated, I guess.  I have two years of college under my belt, but lack of funds forced my hand into continuing later.  

• Brohoof 1

I was public schooled, and am perfectly fine with that. I mean, it sure beats the alternative of ending up at a private Christian school which I would have hated. I don't know what I'd be like today if that had happened, but no sense in thinking about it.

I also graduated from community college and took one year at a local university. I'm not stopping school here, or that's not what I plan... But life likes to shatter everything to pieces. I enjoyed my one year at the university, but I could not take it anymore because I had to balance commuting (an hour or so, each trip), and work. Alongside the sad reality that I just don't feel my best anymore (honestly, I thought I'd be much worse by now, but...), I could not efficiently balance them all and practice enough. Oddly enough, both semesters were the best I had ever done academically, but I let myself down majorly musically.

It is what it is... I have to fix things before I can continue on.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

I was public schooled, and am perfectly fine with that. I mean, it sure beats the alternative of ending up at a private Christian school which I would have hated. I don't know what I'd be like today if that had happened, but no sense in thinking about it.

I also graduated from community college and took one year at a local university. I'm not stopping school here, or that's not what I plan... But life likes to shatter everything to pieces. I enjoyed my one year at the university, but I could not take it anymore because I had to balance commuting (an hour or so, each trip), and work. Alongside the sad reality that I just don't feel my best anymore (honestly, I thought I'd be much worse by now, but...), I could not efficiently balance them all and practice enough. Oddly enough, both semesters were the best I had ever done academically, but I let myself down majorly musically.

It is what it is... I have to fix things before I can continue on.

You defiantly seem to give off that smart person atmosphere.   :P

Its a little intimidating lol.

Went to a private college, but before that was purely public school. I had no qualms with it at all. I'm considering trying out online courses for my Master's, but I'm not completely sure on that.

You defiantly seem to give off that smart person atmosphere.   :P

Its a little intimidating lol.

Me... smart?

img-2243297-1-Laughing.gif

I mean, I certainly do appreciate the compliment. However, I most certainly don't consider myself 'smart'. I've always felt inadequate compared to everybody else. Although that is a general feeling, it most certainly applies to my intelligence.

What you may be seeing is that I'm very wordy, and also somewhat well-trained in academic writing. I've been through so many years of college that I eventually learned how to compose term papers in the proper way, and it has perhaps influenced my general posting/thoughts. Although, I don't know... I don't even try here. lol (well, I try to make sense, of course, but I don't try too hard to be grammatically correct or make my sentences flow. Unless it happens naturally. lol)

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Public: kindergarden > elementary school > middle school > high school and now I'm studying at one of top 3 best universities in Poland, hoping to move to America and get some extra education there just to get familiar with law and some cultural differences etc. so I could get good job and be useful to society someday.

Also finished elementary musical school, played violin and hated it but all theoretical stuff was useful afterall.

PS: no college cause they have no such thing here. Also you can kinda say that I was in catholic schools since learning about catholic religion is obligatory for 9 years here but I had special permission to not attend such classes.

Edited by Burning Question
  • Brohoof 1

Me... smart?

img-2243297-1-Laughing.gif

I mean, I certainly do appreciate the compliment. However, I most certainly don't consider myself 'smart'. I've always felt inadequate compared to everybody else. Although that is a general feeling, it most certainly applies to my intelligence.

What you may be seeing is that I'm very wordy, and also somewhat well-trained in academic writing. I've been through so many years of college that I eventually learned how to compose term papers in the proper way, and it has perhaps influenced my general posting/thoughts. Although, I don't know... I don't even try here. lol (well, I try to make sense, of course, but I don't try too hard to be grammatically correct or make my sentences flow. Unless it happens naturally. lol)

Both rejecting and accepting my complement at the same time...?   :huh:

I guess you aren't very smart after all, one way or the other lady jeez.... lol jk  ^_^

I've been to public and private schools, mostly special ed (ugh...). Right now I'm going to New England Institute of Technology. It's literally the first decent school I've been to.

Public schooling. Unfortunately, they did a crap job of teaching me what I needed to know, and focused on all those wonderful things that were completely unnecessary. I didn't care about Shakespeare's best works, or who invented the cotton gin to promote efficiency. I wanted to learn things that could regularly be used on a day-to-day basis, not Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? questions.

I went to catholic school until third grade. My mom and dad had a falling out with the church over something my mom witnessed. When I was very little, we lived across the street from the rectory. My mother saw on several occasions, questionable ladies visiting well after midnight.

LOL!

I finished my schooling in public school. I never went to college.