Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have we got anypony's who want to be a Scientist when they get older here?

Codelyy

(edited)

If by this you mean the composition then the answer your looking for is 78-79% Nitrogren, 19-20% Oxygen and the other 1-3% is other gases like argon, carbon dioxide and ozone :)

Also this is more of a chemistry question than astronomy.

Yes you are right about what the atmosphere is made of but it is 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 0.9% Argon, 0.03% Carbon dioxide and other gases 

Well done :D

Edited by codelyoko373

Well let's see...

• Enrolled in Biology program at university. Check
  • Taking Medical College Aptitude Test in 2 weeks. Check
  • Own a lab coat: Check
  • Planning on medical school or postgraduate biochemistry. Check
  • Performing my very own scientific independent study: Check.

Yep. I'm definitely a scientist :P

• Brohoof 1

Ok everypony try and answer this one with out cheating and remember if you don't know just say

What is an uncharged subatomic Particle called?

No cheating please

Ok everypony try and answer this one with out cheating and remember if you don't know just say

No cheating please

You're talking about Neutrinos, yes?

Well... Is engineering close enough? It is science in application after all. I'm an electrical engineering student so maths and electromagnetism are very important on the theoretical front. Maths was hard at first but then I started picking up and can now do some rather rigorous stuff (I still hate writing fractions inside fractions). About a year ago I read about a DC/AC converter that works using a single switching transistor. That's something that's been on my mind lately. Something interesting I realized; if you were to somehow force a triangle-wave current through the primary coil of a transformer, you're going to get a square wave voltage at the secondary coil. All it would take would be an electric filter to filter out the higher harmonics and I should end up with a nice AC voltage out the other end.

• Brohoof 1

You're talking about Neutrinos, yes?

Well... Is engineering close enough? It is science in application after all. I'm an electrical engineering student so maths and electromagnetism are very important on the theoretical front. Maths was hard at first but then I started picking up and can now do some rather rigorous stuff (I still hate writing fractions inside fractions). About a year ago I read about a DC/AC converter that works using a single switching transistor. That's something that's been on my mind lately. Something interesting I realized; if you were to somehow force a triangle-wave current through the primary coil of a transformer, you're going to get a square wave voltage at the secondary coil. All it would take would be an electric filter to filter out the higher harmonics and I should end up with a nice AC voltage out the other end

I don't know if when you mean neutrinos you mean neutron but if you are i always thought they were spelled like this 'Neutrons'

There is such thing as "Neutrinos" they do not have an electrical charge but they are the result of radioactive decay...  At least, I think so...?  

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if when you mean neutrinos you mean neutron but if you are i always thought they were spelled like this 'Neutrons'

The thing is, I thought you went beyond the categories of protons and neutrons and went for smaller, more elementary particles like quarks.

Here's one physics question from me. Antimatter is made of the same building blocks as regular matter (protons, neutrons, electrons and quarks). Now what's the difference between a regular neutron and an anti-neutron?

hit me something harder i'm ready to blow your mind ;) even though i'm only grade 11 i know wayyyy more than the rest of the class 

Now what's the difference between a regular neutron and an anti-neutron?
first it's made of anti quarks unlike the regular neutron second it has an opposite baryon number which is 1/3x the number of quarks-number of anti quarks XD lol i never regret reading books 

I have a really strong passion and love for science and i would love to do a job doing it i think its a great thing but at the moment im working towards doing a job in I.T since that is also another passion of mine 

• Brohoof 1

Here's one physics question from me. Antimatter is made of the same building blocks as regular matter (protons, neutrons, electrons and quarks). Now what's the difference between a regular neutron and an anti-neutron?

Sorry but i don't know I am still not the best scientist and i don't know a lot yet i am training I mostly ask questions on the things that i just learned Like 'What is a uncharged subatomic Particle' = Neutron 

Oh holy yes. It's always been my favorite school subject, with several areas that interest me. Medicine in particular is my preferred area, where I'm currently undecided as to what I'll specifically do. I'm thinking lab tech, pathology, and/or R&D. A kind of "dream" of mine is to help find a cure for Alzheimer's. It's somewhat unrealistic given the disease's nature, but go big or go home, am I right?  :lol:

Also, since we're apparently posting science questions, what practical purpose does the appendix serve in a modern human?

Only for those who actually studied science --->basic question

what is the only liquid metal? 

Full name  of the compound AgNO3?

Oh holy yes. It's always been my favorite school subject, with several areas that interest me. Medicine in particular is my preferred area, where I'm currently undecided as to what I'll specifically do. I'm thinking lab tech, pathology, and/or R&D. A kind of "dream" of mine is to help find a cure for Alzheimer's. It's somewhat unrealistic given the disease's nature, but go big or go home, am I right?  :lol:

Also, since we're apparently posting science questions, what practical purpose does the appendix serve in a modern human?

Well after the human evolution it's no longer a useful organ but used to be part of the large intestine more specifically the begening, receives food from the ileum :P 

Only for those who actually studied science --->basic question

what is the only liquid metal? 

Full name  of the compound AgNO3?

The only Liquid metal is Mercury and mercury is used to tell you when it cold or hot

and i think when mercury gets hot it rises and when it gets cold it shrinks 

The only Liquid metal is Mercury and mercury is used to tell you when it cold or hot

and i think when mercury gets hot it rises and when it gets cold it shrinks 

Actually to be more specific mercury expands under heat and kind of shrinks like you said, but not rises lol :P

no one for the AgNO3?

Edited by supersonic rainboom
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a physician (or I'm going to be this Christmas, it's complicated). But I really wanted to be a biologist. Too bad I realized that when it was too late.

Anyway, I wanted to know about animals and now I'm studying radiology. imagine that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually to be more specific mercury expands under heat and kind of shrinks like you said, but not rises lol :P

no one for the AgNO3?

Ok i thought it was something like that

Ok answer this What is the Chemical Element with the Symbol C Called and it's atomic number is 6

No cheating

post-19020-0-85723700-1377818349.jpg

Edited by codelyoko373

I am a scientist (of sorts), so there's less "want to be one when I get older" and more "want to stay one as I get older" :P

(Particle physics, specifically neutrino physics--that's what I do. Which mostly amounts to computer programming these days, but still...)

I used to want to be a Scientist, but school has completely killed it for me. It's like they tell you about the good stuff in the subject and then dangle it on a rope above your head as they force feed you cat biscuits. If physics actually involved physics instead of rolling a car down a ramp or if chemistry involved actually doing something nobody has thought of doing before instead of boiling water or in biology you learn something useful, but instead your told that natural selection gets rid of the weak and the strong survive while your looking at the other end of the table where all the idiots who think that whoever can spit the furthest is the smartest of the group.

Science for me has died, and while I still think it would be cool to be a Geneticist, I'm trying to become a game developer that can do graphics design and programming.   

What us the hardest Material on eartth, name it, name it's structure,and the amount of carbons in it :P     Clue:it's used a lot in the cutting/shaping industries

I know a lot of carbon entities, but I'm not sure it's the one you're talking about :P

The only real one I know in terms of carbon number is the buckyball. 60Cs, shaped like a football (NOT eggball :P)

What us the hardest Material on eartth, name it, name it's structure,and the amount of carbons in it :P     Clue:it's used a lot in the cutting/shaping industries

I don't know everything you said to tell about the material but the hardest material on earth is Diamond and that's all i know about it

the hardest material on earth is Diamond and that's all i know about it

not sure if you googled  it but yeah its diamond and it's base structure is tetrahedron which has 5 carbons positioned like a pyramid, it has 4 base points and one carbon in the center giving it it's unbelievable hardness/resistance

• Brohoof 1

Meh, when I was little I wanted to become an astronomer and I really wanted a telescope. But I didn't get a telescope... and then I found out that "math is the language of science". It was also around that time that I began my strong interest in music. When I grow up I'm going to get into law. At first I wanted to become a doctor because I have a cousin who's a doctor, but I'm the kind of person who gets grossed out really easily so I just left that behind.

• Brohoof 1