Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Editorial: Is HASBRO Evil?

Harmony Spark

As this is my first editorial:

post-14112-0-40897700-1378659334.jpg

I just want to say that this is only my opinion and I won't judge your points of view cause I care about everyone :). So, here's my question, is HASBRO a money-grabbing bastard?

Well, since HASBRO owns the My Little Pony toy line, the decisions on the show made by HASBRO such as Twilight being an alicorn pisses off the brony fandom since these were made to sell toys. But the thing is, even though the company did do this, people forget that this is what HASBRO does to a popular toy line/ TV show; make show popular then sell toys like a lunatic. Now, in my opinion, I don't think HASBRO doesn't care about the brony fandom, they still care.

They have made toy collectibles, including Favourite Collections sets, a card game and other merchandise to support the fans. And besides, the company doesn't go too far into the decisions of the show, they do leave most of them up to the writers. Also, there's Derpy being sued, now many bronies got pissed off, and I do to, but there was a reason why she had to be toned down because having Derpy be wall-eyed and clumsy offended some people with disabilities so I think it was necessary for HASBRO to do that cause they knew that the show will become controversial and will cause the toy line to go downhill.

But on the other hand, I still think that HASBRO can get stupid when they messed with Faust's ideas for the show and made it half the reason why Faust left the show. For example, when Lauren Faust was involved in Cadance's story. At that point in development, she was not designed as an Alicorn, and Faust was surprised at this, which also caused her decision to leave MLP. This is HASBROs doing and I hated that and I understand why bronies have a distrust to HASBRO.

So, in conclusion, I think HASBRO is not that bad. yes, it can make changes to the characters and the show in general that just makes you wanna say:

post-14112-0-96450700-1378662430.jpg

But the thing is that most people forget that HASBRO is only doing its job, MAKE TOYS. It wants to appeal to the demographic of girls but it still keeps the adult fans happy with the fandom merchandise. Yes, it can mess up sometimes but they don't go fuck you, Meghan, we're gonna ruin the show and the fandom! It's a toy company and wants to be a good one, sometimes competitive to Mattel but still good. And besides, if Hasbro WAS a dick, well they wouldn't choose legendary animator and cartoonist Lauren Faust to develop My Little Pony, wouldn't they? So, even though they can make unnecessary bullcrap sometimes, they promise not to ruin something so beautiful and phenomenal as My Little Pony.

I hope you enjoyed my editorial, feel free to comment! ;)

If my review sucked, please say so

Edited by Harmony Spark
  • Brohoof 7

Well, Hasbro's purpose all along was to sell toys so that they can keep the money train rolling until Season 4 comes along. In my opinion, Hasbro just wants our money so they can supply what we actually want.

• Brohoof 4

I think ,as many have said it before me, what it all comes down to is this: Hasbro wants to sell merchandise. Bronies were an unexpected factor which they couldn't foresee but once they realized that the show's following didn't only consist of it's original target audience they would have been foolish not to take advantage of it. They are not trying to piss us off but they will always keep their original purpose in mind. It's still in their best interest to try to keep us happy. I think as long as we keep buying products related to the franchise they will always try to make quality content. As long as they keep the things we like about the show we will keep watching and most of us will buy their merchandise. 

Edited by Armchair Adventurer
  • Brohoof 2

And besides, if Hasbro WAS a dick, well they wouldn't choose legendary animator and cartoonist Lauren Faust to develop My Little Pony, wouldn't they?

Especially then they would choose someone like her because good reputation is more worth than anything, if you want to sell toys with the help of a show...

And if you actually fall for any promises of a stock company... well, good luck then. And it are still the writers who promise us that they won't mess up the show. They probably have more artistic freedom than one might think.

Hasbro has to be competive, yes, and this also includes to make decisions that appeal to consumers. But they don't want to make toys, they want to make money. Making toys is their method. So they do what they think might sell. Not what necessarily is a good decision. This has been discussed quite often.

• Brohoof 1

because having Derpy be wall-eyed and clumsy offended some people with disabilities

I just want to point out before I say anything else that most of the people who were "offended" by Derpy weren't disabled people but people who automatically assumed disabled people would take offense and rudely claimed to speak for them without even bothering to actually talk to them. There are several disabled people who love Derpy, I have Autism and Derpy is my favorite background pony. With that said though Studio B could have handled her speaking role a bit better by fleshing her out a bit more and giving her a more fitting voice like the one youtube user Balddumborat does for example than I think this controversy may have been avoided. I am not mad at Hasbro for censoring Derpy because they had no other choice but am angry at the people Derpy complainers, I don't like it when people claim to speak for me without even bothering to listen to what I have to say. It is not respect it is outright contempt and it is for that reason that I view them with contempt in return.

I am also not mad at Hasbro for taking down Fighting is Magic because I blame the screwed up way copyright and patent laws are made far more than them. But I am mad at Hasbro for twilicorn, they just shoved this right down the writers throats at the last second and didn't give them anywhere near enough time to properly flesh it out which has lead to the worst episode of the entire series. It can still be salvaged but that was one hell of a bad first impression. I get that they want to sell toys, but I think the writers should write the show.

• Brohoof 3

Hasbo has the followers ,  if they continue to put out a quality show, and toys the fandom wants, then they will make money.  Heck Im collecting the mini figures,  at 3 bucks a pop that ain't cheep.  7 sets (waves) with 24 per that 168 in those sets alone, not counting the 3 packs and exclusive releases. 

What confuses me are some of the toys they curently are bringing out.   Pinkie Pie Walkie Talkies? Alicorn Twilight with Green wings?  MLP R/C car?  I have to give the give kids that  watch the show some credit.  "Dady Twilights wings are not green,  why are her wings green?" -my daughter

My answer?  "Because Money is green." 

Then you see toys the fans want.  Like the vinyl figures, comics, cards, bags, adult shirts, and back packs.    Can still count on the fans to come up with some awsome stuff tho.  Like Acurate plushies and customized ponys.  OH the swag I would of purchased at Bronycon if I had the money.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro wants to sell toys, I get that, but they're shooting themselves in the foot. They have marketers trying to boost sales when they could sell more by giving the writers and producers license to make an awesome show. In the end, I think messing with Faust's vision and trying to use the show as an advertisement will only hurt sales. Are they evil? No. Greedy to the point of idiocy? I sure think so.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know, maybe they are using all those money that they have been collecting to feed us with better MLP animations and storyline. Good storyline doesn't come cheap you know.Other that that, I've heard rumour that they are making another Nightmare Moon related episode in season four. And according to some bronies post, they said that they wanted Nightmare Moon themed episodes.

In conclusion, the Hasbro Company is actually not that evil, they are just being evil with good intentions! They actually listened to us all according to what we wanted.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro wants to sell toys, I get that, but they're shooting themselves in the foot. They have marketers trying to boost sales when they could sell more by giving the writers and producers license to make an awesome show. In the end, I think messing with Faust's vision and trying to use the show as an advertisement will only hurt sales. Are they evil? No. Greedy to the point of idiocy? I sure think so.

You realize that the show has always been an advertisement since its premiere, right? That is why Hasbro paid money to have it made. They are a toy company first. Entertainment comes second.

• Brohoof 4

You realize that the show has always been an advertisement since its premiere, right? That is why Hasbro paid money to have it made. They are a toy company first. Entertainment comes second.

True. Call me naive, but I think they could sell more toys by letting the show speak for itself, rather than by interfering. I don't want to start an argument, I just think writers and producers should be in charge instead of marketers so we could have our show and they can have their sales.

• Brohoof 3

As this is my first editorial

I just want to say that this is only my opinion and I won't judge your points of view cause I care about everyone :). So, here's my question, is HASBRO a money-grabbing bastard?

Well, since HASBRO owns the My Little Pony toy line, the decisions on the show made by HASBRO such as Twilight being an alicorn pisses off the brony fandom since these were made to sell toys. But the thing is, even though the company did do this, people forget that this is what HASBRO does to a popular toy line/ TV show; make show popular then sell toys like a lunatic. Now, in my opinion, I don't think HASBRO doesn't care about the brony fandom, they still care.

They have made toy collectibles, including Favourite Collections sets, a card game and other merchandise to support the fans. And besides, the company doesn't go too far into the decisions of the show, they do leave most of them up to the writers. Also, there's Derpy being sued, now many bronies got pissed off, and I do to, but there was a reason why she had to be toned down because having Derpy be wall-eyed and clumsy offended some people with disabilities so I think it was necessary for HASBRO to do that cause they knew that the show will become controversial and will cause the toy line to go downhill.

But on the other hand, I still think that HASBRO can get stupid when they messed with Faust's ideas for the show and made it half the reason why Faust left the show. For example, when Lauren Faust was involved in Cadance's story. At that point in development, she was not designed as an Alicorn, and Faust was surprised at this, which also caused her decision to leave MLP. This is HASBROs doing and I hated that and I understand why bronies have a distrust to HASBRO.

So, in conclusion, I think HASBRO is not that bad. yes, it can make changes to the characters and the show in general that just makes you wanna say:

image.jpg

But the thing is that most people forget that HASBRO is only doing its job, MAKE TOYS. It wants to appeal to the demographic of girls but it still keeps the adult fans happy with the fandom merchandise. Yes, it can mess up sometimes but they don't go fuck you, Meghan, we're gonna ruin the show and the fandom! It's a toy company and wants to be a good one, sometimes competitive to Mattel but still good. And besides, if Hasbro WAS a dick, well they wouldn't choose legendary animator and cartoonist Lauren Faust to develop My Little Pony, wouldn't they? So, even though they can make unnecessary bullcrap sometimes, they promise not to ruin something so beautiful and phenomenal as My Little Pony.

I hope you enjoyed my editorial, feel free to comment! ;)

If my review sucked, please say so

Good post, I agree.

The thing is, you have to look at it from Hasbro's point of view. At the end of the day, their job is to make money, not cater to everyone. Hasbro is just doing what it needs to do to survive.

• Brohoof 1

This might be an unpopular viewpoint, but Lauren Faust was at it's very basic, a paid employee of Hasbro. She was brought in by Hasbro to revitalize My Little Pony, and she did a remarkable job. I even understand the thought process behind Hasbro saying "No, Celestia can't be a Queen, make her a Princess." For decades, Disney taught little girls that queens are evil, and princesses are good. That was just too much to go up against. If Celestia was Queen of Equestria, everyone would be wondering when Twilight would discover she was evil and take her down. (This would have been VERY interesting, but would not have fit the benign and loving mentor image of Celestia as Twilight's beloved teacher) When Lauren Faust was working on the Princess Cadence character/storyline, it was her BOSS that gave the input "Make her an Alicorn". I see nothing wrong with this, personally. It laid the groundwork for Twilight's ascension at the end of season three. It even has a certain logic. The two know princesses are Alicorns. It just makes sense to say Princesses ARE Alicorns. Yes, this will sell toys, and that's exactly the point. To be brutally honest, I think that if Lauren Faust left because they said make Cadence an Alicorn, she made a hasty and not well thought out decision. 

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I have already added my two cents here, but there is one more thing I felt I should add. I have already stated that handing creative control to the writers and letting the show speak for itself would draw in a larger fanbase, but that doesn't fully solve the problem for both sides, thus I have my opinion/solution v. 2.0.

The very first thing Hasbro should do is hand creative control over to the writing and production staff. I have no problem with a corporate representative adding suggestions, but the final decision should belong to the writers. This will give Hasbro a solid fanbase among the show's target audience and among the brony population. "Fans don't necessarily equal sales" you may say. this is where part two comes in, Hasbro should enter the market for quality brony-targeted merch. If they were to start offering the hats, quality plushies, t-shirts, and other popular merchandise, they would now have a share of a market with more spending money than 4-12 year old girls. I'm not saying switch product lines, I'm saying diversify. I don't know about all of you, but I would buy from Hasbro if

1) they offered the quality of product offered by third parties (in truth, I find most of their current MLP merch disappointing), and if

2)they gave control back to the creative staff. They would have secure sales, so could let the show speak for itself.

This seems like a pretty solid business plan, and it gives us (and the original audience) the show that we have come to know and love. Sorry that my rambling and venting is taking up so much room on the thread, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Edited by Frith is Magik
  • Brohoof 1

Making Cadence an alicirn was okay but changing twi really annoys me but with the new princess coming in season 4 it's getting completely ridiculous nobody likes new alicorns it's a fact

Well, in all actuality, Lauren Faust had originally planned for Twilight to become an alicorn princess. She had no say at all in the Cadance thing, though. 

Managing the business aspects of a company, just from what I can tell, is much harder than we might give credit for. It involves a lot of early, over-delivering promises, networking, heck; it involves being a little bit cruel to the creative minds at your company, even when you don't entirely want to be,

I just know that when I think of some of the higher-ups at the companies I work for, I would NOT want to attend the meetings they have to sit through. I would NOT want to be the one rubbing shoulders with people at other companies. I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of a phone call where a customer lambasts them for the product's failures, and I would NOT want to be the one dictating to overworked employees that the product release by a certain day; even when that turns out to be a perfect success that gives us a jump-start on competition.

It's easy to over-summarize a business as a bunch of writers and animators making something cool. There are a million other important aspects that, quite frankly, are best left to other people. And they're human too - they can have their utter failings that result in no positive impact (like demanding that your purple protagonist sprout wings from her lungs)

• Brohoof 1