Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming That side-character that's better then the main-character

The Swedish Brony

In every video game there is a main character and ergo, he should be the best one in the game...

right?

WRONG ANSWER!

There's a ton of games where the side-character exceeds the main one in awesomeness and I want to lift theses guys fourth! 

So my question is:

Who's your favorite side-character in any game that you thought was better than the main-character and why do you think he/she/it is that? 

One of mine, is Garrus from the Mass Effect series.

6018738_4583e8c3.jpg

I mean come on!

He's like the most badass badass that has ever been badass in badass space!! (And yes I am violating the word badass  :derp: )

Also, in Mass Effect 2, he's the freaking Batman in space  :comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

150px-Midna02.png

She is awesome, and I absolutely adore her personality. She's such a fun and unique character. She has a cute design as well. Way better than Link in my opinion.

• Brohoof 4

Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

so much this!

i love everything from twilight princess. i know that probably everybody is going to disagree here but to me that was the best zelda game ever.

• Brohoof 2

so much this!

i love everything from twilight princess. i know that probably everybody is going to disagree here but to me that was the best zelda game ever.

Finally! Someone who agrees! Midna was an awesome character, and was my favorite part about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. 

• Brohoof 2

Midna was probably the best character in Twilight Princess. :lol:

Also, every character in the Sonic franchise is better than Sonic himself. Sonic is lame in pretty much all the games. He's much better in some of the cartoons and the comics.

If it weren't for the thousand years of dreams Kaim would be nothing in Lost Odyssey and I would like Jansen, Seth and Sed much more.

• Brohoof 3

I like Tails better than Sonic and Luigi better than Mario. Always have and always will. They are just such better characters. More interesting and easier to distinguish.

Edited by Axel

I like Tails better than Sonic and Luigi better than Mario. Always have and always will. They are just such better characters. More interesting and easier to distinguish.

Ah yes, Mario.

....As with Sonic I feel that every single character is better than Mario, especially in the RPGs where you have tons of creative and amusing characters.

In Drakengard, you play as the main character; Caim. His "Side kick" is Angelus: The Red Dragon. Due to the story of the game, Caim can't talk. Ever. So you hear most of the dialogue from her. She speaks for both Caim and herself. And she is a complete badass!

640px-Dg2-angelus.png

You stumped me on this question for half an hour. You get a congratulations. I've bent the barriers to determine a side character and I've now came up with my answer: 

Zero - Mega Man X

Zero10_Kopie.jpg

I know how he's in the main story in the game and he's given a lot of dialog in the game and he gets captured and you have to save him in the end and you become as strong as him. But he's bucking Zero. He's cool. He was cooler in the beginning. And his own games had a faster pace which proves that he's the better of the bots.

And in case you were wondering... yeah... he's a dude.

• Brohoof 2

img-1825729-1-Godot.png

Just about everything about him is cooler than Phoenix himself. His cool demeanor, his weird yet awesome metaphors and mottos, his ability to make amazing impressions, his love for coffee

C'mon you saw this one coming

Edited by Megas75

I hate the game Dragon Age II, but there was one character I actually liked in that game and his name was

Varric Tethras

640px-Varric_concept_art.jpg

I guess you could classify him as a main character, but seriously he was the only good thing that actually came from the game.

• Brohoof 1

Riku from kingdom hearts.

Riku_(Scan)_KH3D.png

While he is a main character, he's usually put aside in favor for sora, but he deserves much more since he's been through much worse than sora in terms of story and darkness, as well as being a great friend who is learning from his mistakes and saving others.

Aside from the fact that your main character has no dialogue or backstory whatsoever, Solaire of Astora is easily the best character in Dark Souls.

fPksG9W.png

Also,

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. All of the characters that aren't you in Persona 3 and 4, but Mitsuru and Naoto especially for 3 and 4 respectively.

We all know Junpei is the best.

• Brohoof 2

Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Land 2 and 3, as for sure she was more useful than the alternative partner. Also, she just made those games all that much easier with her hovering skill.

250px-Dixiekongbig.PNG

She needs to be in more Donkey Kong games, or at least Smash Brothers.

Tali in Mass Effect. She was easily my favourite side character and I found her much more enjoyable of a character than Shepard. A mixture of badass when the situation warranted and her adorable almost school girl like crush on Commander Sheppard is one of the most squee-worthy levels of cuteness in gaming.

Yusuf Tazim in Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I loved Ezio Auditore in his other parts of the franchise but he was pushed aside without a second thought when working with Yusuf. With killer ninja assassin skills, a not overly annoying comic relief attitude and the smartass dialogue towards Ezio about "who the real mentor is" you can't help but love this plucky middle aged assassin.

Reaver. Fable 2. He was a little underplayed in 3 I feel apart from royal edicts and the fairly flaccid story arc with him directly but in Fable 2 my GOD is he an A-hole you love to hate. In Fable 2 I believe the less is more approach left the main character completely devoid of a personality so pretty much any side character can over take him/her but Reaver was a personal favourite of mine with his inhumanely long life span, smartass attitude and dialogue and the fact most players would love to strangle him with his own trachea o.e a great frienemy you love to hate 

Edited by QuirkyUsername

Luigi_(NSMBU).png

Well, yes. he has had some games for himself to be a main in, but.. Luigi I've always preferred over Mario in any game the both of them are in. Luigi needs more love. Yay for the Year of Luigi. :U

(Oh, and of course other characters, but I don't have the time to write that stuff.)

Edit:...Fack. That picture is pretty big. .___. Um..I'll change it if I need to.

Edited by Tual

Well...

• Portal 2 - Wheatley - Wheatley is a great and funny character that I personally enjoy.

tumblr_mde1t4HNDk1r0zh6j.jpg

• Sonic - Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles. -Shadow is just awesome, Tails is adorable, and Knuckles is badass.

tails__shadow_and_knuckles_wallpaper_by_

• Brohoof 1

It's pretty hard to think of a better side character for me, but for now I'll stick with Biker from Hotline Miami. 

*image*

Gosh that game is so great. I can't believe the guy made like no money off of it though. Probably one of the best top-down games ever made. Freaking genius.

I'm just gonna go ahead and leave out all the Portal characters, since they've all already been covered pretty thoroughly.

Three Dog, from Fallout 3. Given, the main character is basically whoever you wanted him/her to be, but yeah. Three Dog, OUT!

Fallout-4-Might-Feature-Three-Dog-Voice-

Also, Sheogorath from TES: Oblivion, Shivering Isles. Who doesn't love a good Madgod?
Sheogorath.jpg

Let me see... Who else...

Basically anyone who's not Master Chief and is in Halo. 

And I liked Barry, from the fourth gen Pokemon games. Probably my favourite rival.
tumblr_ms0ev9Zup41s80gybo1_500.gif

Edited by Descant

Yeah, Luigi is awesome. Mario is also awesome, but Luigi is the much more interesting character, especially if you go by his characterization in Paper Mario and the All Star RPG's where we get to see how his mentality works (hell, the new RPG is literally a look inside his mind).

I'm dead serious.

• Brohoof 1