Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pegasi Abuse: Are there too many pegasus OCs?

DND

Sometimes, I get really disappointed in pony OCs. I always see the same stuff. Same concept, 'race', color scheme, you name it. I can live with the overall design with OCs, but what really gets me the over abundance of Pegasi related characters... not to mention some of the inspiration is bound to come from the facts that Rainbow Dash is the most discussed pony in the fandom and also Fluttershy, who recently won the 'Best Pony' poll from The Hub. 

Capture.PNG

I just... really want to see originality and diversity in this fandom.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 10

Seeing as the topic is talking about OCs (characters made by the fanbase, based off the show) and not about the show itself, I've moved this to Sugarcube.

Considering Dash and Fluttershy are two of the most pathetically popular characters, pegasi have lots of fame in of themselves as mythical creatures, and that most people can identify with the thought of flight and the immediate connection to freedom one gets from that (as opposed to magic with unicorns or connection to nature with Earth Ponies), pegasi popularity really doesn't surprise me. A very interesting tally, though. Alicorn isn't nearly as high as the 'OMFG STOP WITH ALL THE OP ALICORN OCs' people would have you believe. Least not from that graph's populous.

Got a unicorn character, myself.

• Brohoof 7

Well, the unicorns are quite close behind the pegasuses. It's basically having magic vs having wings, so that could explain why earth ponies (lacking both selling points) lag behind. The 3 main flavours of pony account for roughly 60% of the total, which seems about right, or even a bit too low. So I think it's pretty diverse, without going into a full statistical analysis, of course. My issue is the over abundance of alicorns... given that we've only had 4 introduced in the show, they are way more over-represented than the pegasuses are.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 2

Well duh. Pegusi can FLY. why would you not what that as a talent for your OC.

I'm sure more folks would pick unicorns if it weren't for the fact that normal unicorns are supposed to be only really good with 5-6 spells, unlike twilight who being element of magic can master any spell she sees which most folks would cry 'OP' if a mere OC possessed that ability.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, it's a shame with all the pegasi love while there's some love for unicorns and hardly any for earth ponies. Yes, pegasi can fly, big deal, I'd much rather have magic. 

I own several OC's and they're all Unicorns, Earth Ponies, and maybe one pegasus; I much prefer diversity than just: pegasus, pegasus, pegasus, or unicorn, unicorn, unicorn, or even earth pony, earth pony, earth pony, and so on. 

• Brohoof 3

There is a very simple reason why Pegasus race is the most popular one. Pegasus race is best race, also being able to fly and the freedom that follows. There is no wonder why it's popular, besides unicorns aren't that much less popular. So yeah, even though I have noticed I don't really care all that much.

• Brohoof 1

Alright, campers! Gather round' the sketchy mobile home and listen to Uncle Jake's backwoods story of innovation! 

*Kids scream in joy!*

Okay. *shuffles papers* I got this coach, put me in!

Usually I try not to agree with other users, but this time someone has nailed it straight on the head with a quality Sears Craftsman brand hammer. "Pegasi can fly." 

It is nearly as simply as that, but I will try my darnedest to over complicate this to a excessive extent.

Well the obvious would state nobody would wan to have neither a horn or wings, so why would one want to be a earth pony? I mean how much shit can you fuck with no goddamn horn or wings? That's right, kids. NONE.

Still wondering? Well, of course I'll continue. Unicorns. What's wrong with unicorns? Well I will tell you what is wrong with Unicorns. THEY DON'T HAVE WINGS. That is what is wrong with them. The only way they get wings is if they magically grow them or some crazy bullshit. 

And Alicorns... What's up with them? Why do they get both... those lil' fellas are like people who drive Ferrari F50's on online S Class races on Forza Motorsport 4. They just be cheatin in a semi-fair way, if you dig me dawg.

So I know some of you bruthas might be stirred, but I be tellin' it like it be, dawg. I work hard to lay down the fo-shizzle shit, homes.

So why Pegasus? Because racecar.

duh.

I just... really want to see originality and diversity in this fandom.

I'd say that's evidence the brony fandom has grown to the point where it has become a microcosm of society. Anecdotally speaking, "going with the flow" is a far more common mindset among most people I've seen than firmly defining oneself's individual quirks and merits.

But as with every cryptic myth, there's a nugget of truth buried in its core. I think the reasons for the relative lack of earth pony OC's are obvious: few people want to be "that guy" who can neither fly nor cast spells, when both of those are equally viable options for ponies. Rainbow Dash's and Fluttershy's popularity probably have something to do with people wanting their OC's to "fit" with their ideas of "best pony".

As for why the overproportion of love for those two characters exists compared to the others... the characters you'll feel closest to will have a lot to do with your own personality. Studies done by people much smarter than me suggest that personality types are not evenly distributed throughout the human population. I haven't tried matching human personality types to the Mane 6 yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are close to some of the more common Myers-Briggs indicators.

• Brohoof 7

Well, I have quite a few OCs and I have one main pegasus character, two unicorns, one earth pony/zebra crossbreed and one changeling.

I do have an alicorn OC too, but I haven't used him in in RPs here so he doesn't have a character sheet. I worked hard to make him not overpowered and also well rounded, so I don't think I deserve any hate for having an alicorn OC. I created him for my fanfic, which I am now hopeful of finishing by the end of the year... :P

Anyway, it's already been said as to why so many pegasus OCs... pegasi can fly. Simples.

They're just the most popular race of Pony then, I guess. I find it funny that Pegasi is the most popular OC race, and that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are the most popular ponies (or so it seems.) My main oc is a unicorn, as I prefer magic to flying.

Anyways, just be happy that Alicorn isn't the most popular OC type. (I'm not bashing Alicorn ocs. They can be decent if done right.)

• Brohoof 1

I think there are a lot of pegasi pony OCs because, of the freedom of going against boundaries and having the ability to fly without having to be limited to the abilities that one pony can have. So, I think that there are a lot of people who are used to being able to fly than have strength and cast spells.

I am guilty. I have four OCs. Two Pegasi, a Unicorn, and a Changeling.

The reason I don't have an Earth Pony.....For some reason I see them as the manual labor of Equestria. Nopony wants to be stuck in a field all day, No offense, but most of their cutie marks/special abilitys see to be toward farming, flowers, ext.

Now if I could have an Earth Pony with Pinkie Sense and could break the 4th wall, than I'd have an Earth OC.:)

I can't say I'm surprised, though now I'm feeling obligated to go make a pegasus OC...  I have a unicorn, an earth pony, and a griffon, I haven't felt the urge to make a pegasus as of yet though.  I guess the griffon character probably filled that need.

Edited by Lhee

Also, keep in mind that if unicorns were the most popular, you'd call it unicorn abuse. Everywhere that there's a competition, there will be a winner. In this case, it's pegasi, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

Also, it's not like the only OC that I have is a pegasus.

Oh, and before I forget: RainbowDashIsBestPegasus

• Brohoof 2

You know I really don't quite understand why everyone here says that the pegasi are aesthetically pleasing. It took me a loooong time to look at them and not see ducks.

• Brohoof 3

I'd have to say yes. Yes, there are WAAAY too many Pegasai OCs out there. I was on another Brony site, and the vast majority of OCs I ran into were Pegasai...

I'm suprised that there are so few Alicorn and Changeling OCs... I think there are a lot more than that poll is accounting for!

I think you'd see more people being alicorns if it wasn't such a social fo pa.

When mine gets hashed out yeah i'm going peg.

I'm not wise enough to simply be a earth pony and stick to the basics i know

nor am i patient enough to put years and years into magic.

i mean even if i can't fly the wings just would feel angelic.  I mean rarity picked up the basics fast enough.

I guess the only way I can contribute to this thread is explain why my OC is a Pegasus. Doesn't really have anything to do with Dash of Flutters, I just really like the idea of flying I guess. I don't really identify with Unicorns and their magic and earth ponies seem somewhat mundane to me, I guess. I can't help it they're so awesome.

I honestly don't mind it, even if they are popular, unicorns are decently popular to, probaly not quite as popular, but close.

Earthponies lag behind a good bit, due to them not having any really special traits like magic or flying like pegasi and unicorns.

But frankly it doesn't bother me ;p. 

Its other peoples Oc's so what they do to them doesn't really ever bother me that much. Maybe because i don't roleplay i don't understand some stuff, but yeah.

All that really affects me much is my own Oc's ;p.

And both of mine are Unicorns btw ;p.

But yeah, doesn't bother me really, i don't know if there is a to much until maybe when its like crazy skewed

What's wrong with Pegasi? Unicorns have a greater proclivity to be overpowered. They just have wings! The most overpowered they can be is well... Rainbow Dash. She's MLP's Enzo Ferrari.

can't be arsed to read if this has been stated yet or not, but I'm pretty sure this is a question with a rather simple answer. You see, if people choose a pegasus pony as their OC, it still gives their OC the ability to fly, but allows them to refer to unicorn and alicorn OCs as "OP".