Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you like the Smile song?

Iris Melody

Let me elaborate a little more. As for why do you like the Smile song, what exactly is it about it that evokes a happy emotion or positive reaction? The music, the scenes, specific lyrics?

For me, I absolutely love it because of the message. The lines that really pull at my heart are:

"I'll work real hard and do my best To turn that sad frown upside down" and "There's one thing that makes me happy And makes my whole life worthwhile And that's when I talk to my friends and get them to smile."

Just that someone, or somepony, would intentionally go out of his/her way to brighten the lives of others - and wanting nothing in return but a smile. The idea that this type of person could exist fills me with so much happiness and hope.

What does everypony think? And if you didn't like the song, you can share why on that too. Everypony is entitled to their own opinion :)

• Brohoof 4

Am I the only one that doesn't like this song? It's probably my least favourite of the series. I liked all the shorter songs in that episode,though.

Hm. I'm pretty much the opposite, I'd say - I love it! Honestly, it may very well be my favorite MLP song of all. :)

The animation that went along with it made the entire thing that much better, as well - it's one of my favorite sequences in the show thus far; which is kind of amusing because overall I wasn't too much a fan of the rest of the episode. :P

• Brohoof 4

Am I the only one that doesn't like this song? It's probably my least favourite of the series. I liked all the shorter songs in that episode,though.

You're the first person I've seen say they don't like it, so yeah I guess you're the only one.

• Brohoof 1

Hm. I'm pretty much the opposite, I'd say - I love it! Honestly, it may very well be my favorite MLP song of all. :)

The animation that went along with it made the entire thing that much better, as well - it's one of my favorite sequences in the show thus far; which is kind of amusing because overall I wasn't too much a fan of the rest of the episode. :P

The animation with the lyrics did really add to it for me :) I loved her sliding down the rail with the two fillies, and jump roping with Applebloom, and toward the end with the whole "smile smile smile - sunshine sunshine" part.

I wasn't a huge fan of the rest of the episode either... My husband and I were joking about how when she first lays eyes on Cranky Doodle Donkey, that we should caption it "New Victim Targeted." I actually cheered at first for her to go after him, but then for a large part I was like, "nooooooooo! Just leave him be!" I did love her felt thinking process XD So yea... definitely my favorite song of the entire series thus far (before it was a tie with the No Fear song and Winter Wrap Up).

• Brohoof 2

Well, I like it because I find it unique in comparison to all of the other songs for some reason. It just gives off this energy that says "I'm not like the other songs!" Besides, it makes me happy (which is what Pinkie Pie wanted!) hearing this song.

MLP songs sure can sway my emotions...

• Brohoof 1

Well it certainly delivers what it promises. Life can be a drag, but whenever i put this on i thank MLP for having somepony as Pinkie Pie on board, she can really brighten up your day. It has become one of my favorites, and i love the end in particular. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I love this song! Any time I feel down, it always picks me up. For example, after iTunes censored Derpy, the sense of betrayal I felt had me pretty down, but after listening to Smile Smile Smile on repeat for about on hour, it made me feel so much better.
  • Brohoof 2

Zoop mentioned the animation. Indeed, that is a big reason why I really enjoy the song. Everything is lively and bouncy; the whole progression shows off the best of Pinkie Pie and her nature. Why is she so socially engaged and desiring new friends? Because she wants to help others and brighten up their day. What a wonderful message! Pinkie's presence is helpful for me, and I find that she can help mellow me out when things are getting a bit rough. "Smile" epitomizes why she evokes such a response. I also happen to think that the song highlights that she isn't a party animal for the sake of her own personal pleasure: her pleasure is derived from making other ponies happy. Again, that's a really lovely sentiment.

Pinkie's singing voice is also wonderful. That is most certainly worth mentioning.

Overall, the themes and rhythm of "Smile" are the primary reasons why I enjoy it so much. It really couldn't be accomplished outside of Pinkie, so her involvement is central to the song's success. It would be wonderful if all of the Mane Six could end up with their own songs which match the quality of "Smile."

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

It's a full-length Pinkie song about smiling! Who doesn't like it?

Am I the only one that doesn't like this song?

Oh.

Edited by Pony Joe
  • Brohoof 2

Why do I like it?

Ever since it first leaked, it's brightened many of my days. Days that might have been dreary, dismal days full of self-loathing and depression otherwise. I didn't learn it was a leak for a long time...I thought it was an unused song instead, so I didn't feel bad about listening to it until I finally learned that it was a leak.

The animation just made it even better, especially the added touch with Pinkie picking herself up. It's full of metaphor and wonderful imagry all around.

I adore the song so much...though like others I also wasn't too fond of the rest of the episode that went with it, at least not beyond my initial viewing.

But that's beside the point. The song is spectacular and wonderful. Like Thereisnospoon, I dearly hope the others can get their own songs that match the splendor and characterization of their personalities that Smile does for Pinkie.

• Brohoof 3

It's a full-length Pinkie song about smiling! Who doesn't like it?

Oh.

I liked the episode, but the song just wasn't catchy and seemed unorganized. My opinion always seems different than everyone else on here. It's probably because I'm retarded

The day had started off completely wrong. First, my neighbors upstairs decided it was a good time to practice clog dancing.. or whatever it is they do above me. The heater was busted so stepping out of bed was like being in the Titanic movie. I clung to my robe like Rose did that busted door and ran to the bathroom. Got into the shower, surprise surprise, my roomie had used all of the hot water. Colder, wetter, and a bit more bitter I finally made my way to the sink and for some reason my hairbush was in the trash bin. I did an facepalm and just got ready with a minimum of effort. Then we were out of cereal, and I couldn't find my car keys. (Good thing I was woke up early!) So with a slump I got into my car. First a song from the Mighty Boosh called 'Isolation' popped up on my Ipod. Then 'Smile, Smile, Smile.' started it's friendly assault on my earlobes.

I cranked it up, would've done Pinkie Pie proud. Opening up my cardoor, I had forgot to hit the button to power it down when a little girl was walking by holding hands with her momma. Her head snapped around as I had dropped something on the ground that clacked loudly, so that initially caught her attention. Then she started peering at me, her little eyes honing in and squinting as she began to pick up the lyrics of the song. A loud cry of 'MOM IT'S PINKIE PIE'S SONG!' and she started singing it at the top of her little lungs. I smiled for a moment and then busted out singing with her. Her mom mouthed a quiet 'Thank you' over her head and after the song finished I walked over and showed her how a brohoof worked. She said she can't wait to tell her friends at school.

A smile washed over my face as I watched them depart and she turned to wave at me for what seemed the 50th time. Sometimes a song can go a long way to make your day better. That's why I love this song so much, it was great before, but this memory will always make me smile, smile, smile.

• Brohoof 7

I can't think of anything I don't like about it!

The tone of it is amazing

The lyrics are brilliant

Listening to it makes you happy

SO MUCH PINKIE PIE!!

• Brohoof 2

I hadn't listened to any of the leaked copies of the song, so hearing it on the show was my first time experiencing it.

The very first moment that I heard the song starting up on the show, I think my facial expression sunk into a deep frown. I hate songs about smiling and positivity and things like that. They usually strike me as being cheesy and irrelevant.

This means that I was pretty surprised when I lived through the song and found myself smiling. I'm not sure if it was the animation, the music itself, or just the way that they interacted. All I know is that I was sold.

It wasn't just me either. I have a brother that specializes in cynicism and steely-eyed seriousness. He was grinning too! The song worked on him as well.

Since the episode aired, I'm pretty sure that I have listened to that sound at least a hundred times (no exaggeration). I have no idea why I like that song so much, but generally dislike that type of song, but there you have it.

(And I am fully aware of how cheesy sounding what I just wrote was.... Don't care.)

• Brohoof 3

I liked the episode, but the song just wasn't catchy and seemed unorganized. My opinion always seems different than everyone else on here. It's probably because I'm retarded

There is nothing wrong with thinking differently or holding a different opinion (as long as no physical/emotional/mental harm is an intentional result of it). Please do not be down on yourself!

Thank you for sharing your opinion. If it just wasn't catchy for you and felt unorganized, then it wasn't catchy and felt unorganized.

May I ask your opinion of the lyrics, or your opinion of the intended message of the song? :)

I felt the same way, even after hearing the leaked one multiple times. Despite having a good message and everything, it sounded almost unfinished. Pinkie's random interjections (Howdy! Rock on! Hoof bump!) seemed forced and campy, kind of like when people say cha-cha-cha during the happy birthday song.

I like smile mainly for the composition, and the fact that it's a full (Over 3min) song. I think the music worked really well with Pinkie’s singing voice, and just overall it’s very catchy and enjoyable :P

I'll start by saying that most of Pinkie's songs rank bottom of the pile for me. I tend to dislike them. "The Smile Song" is most definitely an exception to disprove the rule. The visual part was engaging, and seemed to me to be Pinkie turned up to 11 (pun intended). The fact that Big Macintosh was just waiting there with a cart for her and the fillies to jump into, the skipping rope moving without anyone holding it, Pinkie sharing the screen with Pinkie (get down with your sad self, Pinkie!) and the gigantic ticker tape parade that somehow vanishes at the end.

Then the words to the song... catchy, but with a simple and straightforward message that is a valuable one for anybody to hear. But really, the best part for me was the way everyone ended up singing along, with Pinkie singing her own words to the accompaniment of the ponies repeating her refrain. It actually makes me tear up a little, something that good music manages to do to me sometimes.

If there is one thing that is perhaps a negative is that the interjections like "hello", "how you doin'?", and "howdy", didn't sound quite right. They were probably recorded separately, so it was a bit of dissonance. (I see that Bleyd noticed it too) The "yes, I do" parts didn't give me the same impression. Apart from that minor complaint, though, it was a perfect song, well up there with Kasumi Evan's (Rarity's) 2 songs, "At the Gala" and "May the Best Pet Win". I give it fifth place, which is highly unusual for a Pinkie song in my personal ranking chart.

So what are you waiting for? C'mon and smile!

• Brohoof 2