• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Which language?

• Ruby
    • Java
    • Scratch
    • C
    • GML
  3. 3. How broad of a tutorial should it be?

• cover aything you find important
    • keep it pony related please

Hi, I'm thinking about making a programming tutorial for people who want to make there own fangames and stuff, What do you think of this Idea? also I program Java, C, Scratch, Ruby and GML, what language would you want me to teach? any suggestions? thanks

Edited by frank_da_tank99

I've just started learning programming about  a week ago. After very basic of html css sql and javascript, i guess i should move to some solid languages like java, ruby, python1. I don't know how about other ponies, but i would like to see well explained guide, where i could ASK author directly (if would stuck on smthg.). So....yeah... personaly, i would like to see these guides. Ruby or Java seems good to start with.

I've just started learning programming about  a week ago. After very basic of html css sql and javascript, i guess i should move to some solid languages like java, ruby, python1. I don't know how about other ponies, but i would like to see well explained guide, where i could ASK author directly (if would stuck on smthg.). So....yeah... personaly, i would like to see these guides. Ruby or Java seems good to start with.

Great! thanks for the input, once I decide what to teach I'll start working on that. I'm thinking Ruby would be fun to teach, but my area of expertise is java, maybe the Unity game engine. I'm still trying to work out the details, I'll mesage you when I make these choices.

I thought C, C++, Java, visual basic and python were the most popular. with the ones later on the list, less popular.

Edit: i mean to say, if my absence from learning programing during my freetime(i stuck to c, then c++, and java, with some detours into sql just because people were talking to me about sql injections and that sounded fun(and hopefully not illegal)) in the last 2 years has made it so theres a bunch of new extremely popular languanges that i only have barely heard about ill be sad:(

Though c, c++, and java will never die, i just thought they were still the big tier ones.

Edited by MyLittleParody

I thought C, C++, Java, visual basic and python were the most popular. with the ones later on the list, less popular.

Edit: i mean to say, if my absence from learning programing during my freetime(i stuck to c, then c++, and java, with some detours into sql just because people were talking to me about sql injections and that sounded fun(and hopefully not illegal)) in the last 2 years has made it so theres a bunch of new extremely popular languanges that i only have barely heard about ill be sad:(

Though c, c++, and java will never die, i just thought they were still the big tier ones.

They are but that would require alot of teaching to get it to be anywhere close to pony related, I like to keep my lessons themed, my last Java lesson was themed with learning to make mods for minecraft, I'm thinking Ruby, because I know there are alot of people who enjoy rpg maker already, and Ruby is a fin way to teach scripting with what is already a really awesome educational engine. I'm also thinking Scratch (another big educational one that's popped up and has almost no differences to Java).

• Brohoof 1

Just know that isn't technically programming.

Html, Css, sql, and javascript are all apart of markups, formatting and scripting

A "programming" language would be apart of the C family, python, java, etc.

As for the OP, I would say go for it if you have the ability to bring a new way of it. If there are tutorials out there already, then I say don't add to the cluster. But if you have an interesting voice, personality, or view, then please do.

Just know that isn't technically programming.

Html, Css, sql, and javascript are all apart of markups, formatting and scripting

A "programming" language would be apart of the C family, python, java, etc.

As for the OP, I would say go for it if you have the ability to bring a new way of it. If there are tutorials out there already, then I say don't add to the cluster. But if you have an interesting voice, personality, or view, then please do.

I don't mean to be the guy who corrects you, but javascript is technicly programing, true CSS HTML and SQL are markups, jave is a programming language.

do any of you guys have any idea how to make a poll, so I can figure out whcich language the audience would be the most excited to learn, I am really considering Ruby or Scratch at this point but I want to see what everyone else thinks

I don't mean to be the guy who corrects you, but javascript is technicly programing, true CSS HTML and SQL are markups, jave is a programming language.do any of you guys have any idea how to make a poll, so I can figure out whcich language the audience would be the most excited to learn, I am really considering Ruby or Scratch at this point but I want to see what everyone else thinks

No, prograaming languages can be run out of browser, javascript is a "scripting" lamguage, so the correctiom was unecessary.

No, prograaming languages can be run out of browser, javascript is a "scripting" lamguage, so the correctiom was unecessary.

java cant be run in browser javascript can

Face-hoof, it appears we have been arguing the same point, sorry mate xD

• Brohoof 1

Face-hoof, it appears we have been arguing the same point, sorry mate xD

I was trying to get that point, java is programming, javascript is scripting, that's all I wanted to convey into this conversation xD

I was trying to get that point, java is programming, javascript is scripting, that's all I wanted to convey into this conversation xD

Sorry for stupid question, but doesn't scripting is ... well... kinda similar to programming? At least a bit?

Edited by IceBeerG

Sorry for stupid question, but doesn't scripting is ... well... kinda similar to programming? At least a bit?

Of course it is similar, the difference being one is able to be run in browser (javascript) and the other, out of browser, like applications and software (java, C family).

Of course it is similar, the difference being one is able to be run in browser (javascript) and the other, out of browser, like applications and software (java, C family).

Okay thanks =) So skills in scripting will help to delve into programming after all :)

• Brohoof 1

Okay thanks =) So skills in scripting will help to delve into programming after all :)

Of course! If you are wanting to do web development, you still need to learn programming if you want to create sites for clients from scratch. But of course, you will always need somewhere to start, and javascript is still very widely used by most everybody.

Good luck to you on your journey in the fields of programming!

Nobody likes C# :(

It was one of the first languages I learned. Its syntax is pretty nice and such. :3

Other than C#, I know HTML, Javascript, JQuery, Lua and Java.

At the moment I'm experimenting with Java, making a Minecraft mod and all. It's pretty derpy, because I only know the basics of Java, but I think I can get there.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if you made a Java teaching thread. Like, you make a post explaining the stuff, then you ask us to do something and post a pastebin of it. If we have any questions, we could ask you on the same thread. I think that would be nice, yeah.

I'm actually serious how the hell do I start a poll xD sorry for my noobishness

I guess you can try editing the first post and look for an "add poll" option? It usually works like that on most of the forums I've been to.

• Brohoof 1

There could be C programming tutorial with pony references. Partly for fun.

I tried coding with pony related named function names and it was quite fun and very suitable at reading easily(idk why don't ask me).

Oh, just thought that should do C++ for who is fluent C language.

It would be easy to understand jokes and there's lot to do

Edited by woong712

Looks to be a tie between java and Ruby, I'm really considering ruby right now just because it's fun to teach and make pony references while teaching it. I think I'll start the tutorial when my laptop comes in the mail, so I don't have to worry about buying a mic.