Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to explain your love of pony?

Kodiak

Moments ago, I just got asked about why I love the show so much from my father (kinda late with asking, but whatever). Anyway, I mostly told him that it's a show that is a step about the rest of children's cartoons and that the characters and situations are relatable. Yet, no matter what I said, he always came back to "I still don't get why a 16 year old would watch a show for little girls, and there's nothing you can say that can explain it." I simply responded with "I respect your opinion," and left it alone from there. He's in his late 40's by the way.

It got me thinking though, you really can't explain why you love My Little Pony so much to someone of a completely different generation. That stigma of "girly = bad" is too strong with most of them. But, I say this as a matter of opinion, because I'm sure that there are many others from his generation who can enjoy this show just as much as I do.

So, what are your thoughts on that? Any personal experiences with explaining the ponies (in real life)?

• Brohoof 1

Well, different people like the show for different reasons. Some people like it because it's a very well-animated show. I guess if you're one of those people you'll have to deal with it-there's no real way to explain away. I understand that some others who watched the show said that it brought them back from the brink of emotional despair. For me in particular, I like it because the mane six remind of what I've been looking for my entire life-TRUE friends. I've had my share of backstabbers and disloyal creeps. But when I watch ponies, I can almost imagine they're right there beside me. It makes me happy, and that's good enough for me.

• Brohoof 2

Oh yeah. Just last Tuesday me and a friend introduced a non-brony to MLP: FiM...He was confounded to say the least. I did my best to answer all of his questions with a serious attitude and sincere opinions. It went well in the end; we showed him Lesson Zero as his first episode, after it was over I asked him if he liked it and he nodded, "Yeah, yeah it was pretty good...You're both really weird still, though."

Act natural, be sincere and make sure they know you're serious and not kidding around with them. I find those points helped me out a lot.

• Brohoof 3

I've found that if I explain the show makes me laugh, because it does have humor in it that only adults will get. (ex. in Bridle Gossip, when AJ is shrunk down, Spike calls her a Appletini, a martini drink!) Then people usually back off and leave me alone if they are not also fans. Also, it's a positive show that gives good moral lessons in life, without the shitty aspects that girls kiddie shows usually cling to as absolutes.

• Brohoof 3

A while back I had a similar discussion regarding my affinity for MLP. Like many, what caught and maintained my interest for the show went past that of the noticable break in the 'girls show' cookie cutter mould established by the previous generations, and the influence of the fanbase itself. To reiterate, here was my thoughts on the matter:

To me, as well as many others, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, is a welcome breath of fresh air to a stagnant market.

The series doesn't adhere to either male or female stereotypes, but instead settles itself in a mid-ground that has attracted such a diverse and varying fan-base that I never previously would have thought possible.

What really caught my attention to MLP:FIM, is that the show possesses some of the most unique and distinctive animation styles out there today, in comparison to other cartoons of similar nature. Take these screenshots for example.

Posted Image

While many animation series tend to recycle backgrounds to the point where they appear indistinctive, in almost every scene within the MLP series, there is a degree of variance; houses manage to appear analogous yet distinguishable in their own right, and add to the depth and beauty of each scene.

Sure, you could argue that I'm rambling about features that one doesn't necessarily focus on in a cartoon, but honestly, that's what most bronies love to do. We love to pick apart scenes right down to the tiny details, heck, even the animators of the show recognised this and regularly chuck in little easter eggs for our community to find!

All in all, Hasbro has brought a welcome and innovative change to the field of cartoon animation, and the fact that this came for the last franchise I would have ever imagined, makes it all the more commendable.

As for attempting to explain my fondness for the show (to those who can only perceive it from an entirely different perspective), I generally recommend that they watch a least an episode or two before listening to all of my reasonings; that way they can at least relate to what I'm trying to convey, granting me a bit more of a scope to work with.

All in all, trying to justify watching a show that the majority of society expects you to recoil to in inordinate horror to, is a tricky feat to say the least. However, with a bit of perseverance and guidance, in combination with a good measure of love and tolerance, it's possible to win over even the most ill-informed anti-brony.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

<p>this happened to me a couple days ago when i was asked by a friend i told him“gez i...well i cant really explain it” and thats the truth, the show genrally is addicting for unknown reasons

Edited by jarrod989

<p>this happened to me a couple days ago when i was asked by a friend i told him“gez i...well i cant really explain it” and thats the truth, the show genrally is addicting for unknown reasons

That's the problem I ran into. You can't really fully explain it all because there's just so much to it: The art, the music, the fandom's motto of "love and tolerance," the animation, the characters, etc. I think I've figured out the best responses to those questions: "If you're really that curious, give the show a try. Maybe it can explain itself better than I can."

I explain it very simply. I had a few setbacks, and I was totally burned out due to working too many hours. I went about 4 months like this. I kept working through it, but my rate of progress was comically slow.

Then, I started watching this show. All of a sudden, I became the energizer bunny. I was finishing things that I would have never even attempted to begin even before I burned out.

This show is like a secret weapon. It brightens my day, puts a smile on my face, and a spring in my step. I couldn't tell you why. It's probably some combination of nostalgia, the show's high production values, and the awesomeness of the fan community. Either way, there is no denying the effect that it had on me.

The funniest reaction to this had to be from this guy that was stil in a business college. He wondered if maybe the show's effects could be used by a major corporation to increase productivity. I wasn't sure what to say about that....

• Brohoof 1

Well, if they can't get past the girly=bad mental roadblock, then I don't think they'll ever understand. But with rational reasoning and points such as quality animation, characterization, and story development I sure think you can carry out a convincing counter argument.
  • Brohoof 1

At first, I watched this show when I was bored.

When I became a brony, I watched this show for entertainment.

After drawing them, I viewed this show as a venue for happiness.

Now? I view this show as a moral guide. What you can learn by finding the underlying meanings of the show can serve you for a lifetime and gain you much respect and many friends. What you can see from this show will make you smile. What you can catch on from its music will help conquer your fears, gain new interests, and soar to new heights. Keep in mind I still watch the show for happiness and entertainment though!