Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spingle Bloob

I watched it and did a commentary on it with a friend. I was personally more emotional during the fanfic -_-

Let me just say that this movie, for the most part, has pretty terrible voice acting from the person playing Rainbow Dash so it's hard to take her seriously, the other characters are okay. The guy who plays Dashie's dad has almost no emotion in his acting, we never see his face so we can only base off his hand gestures and movements, and those seem kind of fake for the majority of the movie :( The beginning of it during Dashie's youth was better due to an absolutely adorable Rainbow Dash filly :wub: But when she grew up I noticed the animation seemed to decline a tad, and well the quality as well, so I found the first half better then the second half.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts :)

• Brohoof 9

It was alright. The voice acting for Rainbow Dash was off (though I appreciate the effort), but the cinematogrophy was good and the script was well-edited. It still didn't make me cry though, and I still bursted out laughing at the turning point scene where Rainbow Dash "learns the truth".

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 2

Egh, saw this earlier, I already didn't like the fanfic but honestly this is just.... egh. I also agree with what Pink Mist said about the animation decline, near the end it felt very unpolished.

Still it was a good effort but honestly I felt they could have chosen a better fanfic than a generic sob story >_>

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

I don't think you can expect much. I mean it was a fanmade thing. I think 11 people worked on it (excluding the voice actors). I thought the narrator's voice/Dashie's dad still sounded better than he would if he was a lot more emotional. But you could still hear emotion in his voice.

Edited by Rainbow Alejandro

Eh, I really didn't like that video, but it was a nice attempt. I loved the fanfiction, but there were just too many things i didn't like about this adaption. First off, the pacing. Now, I know it was only about 30 minutes long, but it was went too fast for me, and skipped out on a lot of the key moments from the original story. Secondly, the acting. Rainbow Dash's voice felt really off, and the narrator's acting was mediocre to me. I couldn't really hear a lot of emotion from his voice, and since they didn't show his face; I couldn't read his facial expressions either.

However, the animation was decent, and I didn't really have anything to dislike about it, but it didn't wow me much either. Like I said before: it was a nice attempt, but it ended up just being really disappointing to me.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 3

I've seen this video suggested for me several times, never got to watch it though until now. I knew the story so it really didn't get me that much, aside from the voice acting, it was not the best but I'm sure I heard that Celestia voice before...

Something I noticed about the scene where Dash finds out the truth is that the TV says PONY instead of SONY! ^_^ I burst out laughing so hard when I saw that. That was some pretty good editing on their part :)

• Brohoof 1

The movie, as a movie sucked. I don't even know why they bothered to make that! Even the first nature shot!! They never followed the 3x3 grid rule (if it is how you call it english). Furthermore the actor was terrible, and we never saw his face. The dialogue was blunt and there was too much narration, because they never even made a bucking script, they used the bucking fanfic as one!!! I'm not even going to list anymore, because the only good thing about it was the storyline and animation. It was just a filmed fanfic reading video. I understand it's emotional because the fanfic it's based on is emotional, but the only thing that could have brought me to tears is how bad it was filmed. But at least they tried :P

• Brohoof 2

I thought the way the chose to shoot the film and tell the story was quite interesting, and they worked with and around their limitations very well.

However, I actually found the story rather boring. The dialogue wasn't great either and too blunt imo. They also showed the same flashbacks twice...

Saying that, I didn't really like the original story that much either. I though it was cliche' and poorly written. The one thing the original story did do though, was make me cry, which this did not.

I also didn't like the score.

A very good effort though. It was visually well produced all things considered.

Edited by Hansel

Something I noticed about the scene where Dash finds out the truth is that the TV says PONY instead of SONY! ^_^ I burst out laughing so hard when I saw that. That was some pretty good editing on their part :)

Does that mean there's a Pony Playstion? Conspiracies!

I liked it. Personally, I cried. Others may disagree, but I thought this was pretty swell.

I WAS SOBBING LIKE A MAN! :'l fluttercry.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Going against popular opinion here and saying it was great. I really, really, really, dislike the fanfiction, but man was this movie good.

I also pride myself that I never felt any emotion whatsoever when reading the fanfiction or watching the movie. I have never cried when reading that. Bragging rights, people.

I might sound harsh but, I would say it isn't really a mini movie. It is more of a reading with video in the background. I guess maybe I can't say it isn't a movie, but it certainly isn't like the tradition when a story/book is turned into a movie. The hunger games wasnt narrated the whole time. In fact, it wasnt narrated at all. You got all the information from watching it and hearing dialogue.

In this, it was narrate the whole time. At least, most of it. So I don't really consider it a movie.

But regardless of that, I still liked it. I know it wasnt anything professional, but I am at least glad that he had a wider lense camera because it looked more like he was using professional equipment. I liked it because it was one if the best attempts at a mini movie in the brony fandom as well. I liked it becuse I liked the story too and the animation wasnt too bad either.

I liked it basically :)

Personally I liked it,  at times it

was a dry when it came to the voicing

but given the following

1: you had a small group make this on their own, they

did well if you ask me on the camra and some of the

bleeding of the cartoon Dash in with Real Life

2.  No the voice actor (fan actors) will never sound

like the ones from the show but you can tell they tried

to stay to the main cannons.

3. I think it would take a lot of editing,

retakes and such things that go in for

a mini flick and given it was made for

the love and fandom of MLP,  give em

some made props

4.Yes the flash animation got a little

skipping here and there but think of

the time ppl put into this and also: nothing

if ever prefect!

Over all I liked and enjoy it highly,  nothing

to cry over but it had some very touching moments

and even funny.

I know that a lot of you found it rather meh, and I will acknowledge that it could use a bit more polish and more emotional acting...and yet it still reached me. I try not to expose myself to sad fanfics (I avoid that tag completely on Fimfiction) because I end up a sobbing, miserable mess. This didn't hit quite as hard as the fic itself (I bawled at the fic); I only got that heavy feeling in my chest and I was on the cusp of crying. Still, a valiant effort and nothing to be sneezed at. Constructive criticism is indeed a good thing, but so is commendation where it is due. A lot of work went into this, and that should not be forgotten.

Damn I'm sad now. Time to medicate with chocolate ice cream!

I honestly don't get all the hate for this movie. For what it was, it was absolutely fucking hilarious! Watching that idiot trounce around like a headless mime doing the robot, while the emotionless, disembodied narrator voice played ventriloquist was honestly funnier than watching Twilight with Rifftrax! :lol:

I came in expecting split sides, and I left with split sides. To me, that's not a disappointment at all.

But seriously, full review, in case anypony's curious.

• Brohoof 2