Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle should've been given the personality of the G1 Twilight!

Twilight Mist

I'm sorry but I find Twilight Sparkle is a bit too nerdy! By the way the closet the G1 twilight comes to is probably fluttershy.

PS I know that I keep going on about how good G1 but tough! If you only wanted to talk about FIM the administrator's should rename it FIM forum!

Edited by samuelkingsley

That is a part of her quirks and her personality, besides she enjoys reading books and learning about history along with other things that she enjoys doing. I'm sorry, but maybe you should stick with G1.

It's a part of who she is. As for the forum name changing, it's not going to happen and plus even if it did there would have to be a lot of coding to do for said changes to happen.

So to close this out, there would be no point in recycling her personality back to G1 because if you go backwards in terms of a character's development then there would be no point in going forward.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 8

They're not supposed to be the same character.

But you can pretend Twilight's mom is like her if you want. Twilight Velvet's design was based off of G1 Twilight.

Twilight_Velvet.png

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

tough! If you only wanted to talk about FIM the administrator's should rename it FIM forum!

We are a Friendship is Magic forum:

Q0pjdoR.png

As for this discussion thread, bear in mind that a lot of us won't have seen G1, so it might be worth adding to your OP a description of the actual personality of G1 Twilight to better foment discussion for your topic.

• Brohoof 7

I fail to see how being "too nerdy" is necessarily a bad thing. If anything, it makes her extremely relatable  to the viewers. 

A lot of people enjoy Twilight for who she is, an adorable, intelligent pony, and that's in no means bad in any way. 

If you really enjoy G1 so much, then go ahead and enjoy it to your heart's content, but not everything FiM-related has to be exactly like G1.

• Brohoof 7

Twilight Sparkle's nerdiness and general adorkableness are usually the two things her fans like about her most, I've noticed.

Can't say because I'm a Rarity fan, in case it wasn't obvious ( :P ) but I know the majority of the Twilight fans I know love that about her.

Furthermore, you're entitled to your own opinion, but I personally like Twilight better the way she is, rather than just being a recycled personality of somepony from the past :D

• Brohoof 5

I'm sorry but I find Twilight Sparkle is a bit too nerdy!

That's a part of who she is...? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand one of the most popular defining features of her...?

I don't think I'd like FiM as much if Twilight wasn't so nerdy or organized. I find it to be very relatable.

• Brohoof 4

Well I love Twilight, because they did need a nerdy character on the team. And being 'nerdy' is one of her defining features. Also, Twilight making a wish and stuff would be weird because then they'd have a deus ex machina for every episode. Also, the whole 'MAKE A WISH ON A STAR' is very cliche and overdone and Luna / NMM would be pissed on the first episode.

Just... think about it.

TEAM MANE 6:

Twilight Sparkle: The Nerd / Brains (Keeps Pinkie in Check)

Applejack: The Country Muscle (Keeps Rarity in Check)

Rainbow Dash: The Tomboy (Keeps Fluttershy in Check)

Fluttershy: The Shy Bruce Banner (Keeps Rainbow Dash in Check)

Rarity: The Girly-Girl Drama Queen who can Kick Ass (Keeps AJ in Check)

Pinkie Pie: The Comedy Relief + Sugar Rush (Keeps Twilight in Check)

They all have a personality to balance the other out. Without Twilight's personality, she couldn't keep Pinkie's personality in check.

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 6

I actually connect with a Twilight a lot. I'm a mix of a slight nerd (about 50% nerd) and tomboy (I like video games), closet otaku, and closet brony.

In other words, I can connect with Twilight's love of reading and learning about magic and history. ("nerdiness")

-Candlewick

• Brohoof 1

As an uber-nerd, Twilights relatable nerdiness is exactly what I like about her. Her personality is what makes her my favorite character. I totally respect your opinion, but I just don't share it.

Part of what Makes FiM as amazing as it is is the characterization. Each of the mane six has very different personalities--they're all too something. Twilight is too nerdy, Fluttershy is too soft, Pinkie is too jumpy and hyper, RD is too sporty and competitive, Rarity is too obsessed with fashion, and Applejack is too honest and stubborn. But the characters in the show are all friends with one another, and for the most part, we love them anyway.

That's what FiM is all about, in my opinion. It's about seeing through people's faults and their eccentricities, and loving and tolerating the shit out of them.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 5

@@ghostfacekiller39,

It's so true, I know!

Rarity knows freaking karate, can summon gems from freaking nowhere, talked her way out of a terrorist cell (*cough*dogandponyshow*cough*), fought the changelings with her bare hooves, etc.

Also, she's girly and is a drama queen and I love that about her, because they make both of those noticeable, but don't overdo it with 'RAINBOWS DARLING RAINBOWS' like in the previous season. They make just enough noticeable and make it realistic too.

EDIT: This thread made me get a g1 avatar, thanks OP!

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 4

Twilight's nerdiness is what makes her unique.  I have a video up on youtube that explains this a bit better, but one of the reasons why Twilight works as a main character is that she hits that nice balance between being a grounded, "voice of the audience" yet at the same time having her own unique quirks.  G1, from what I could make of it, didn't really have very strong unique personalities among the characters. 

And personally I think having a female character that's a bit of a dork without making her into an ugly stereotype is a good thing.

Personally, Twilight is my least favorite of the Mane 6, although this by no means is the same as me hating her. In fact, I'd probably get along with her most IRL. But she doesn't seem to have a flaw. All the other ponies have something about them that's a bit detrimental, something that makes them more rounded out. Rarity (best pony) is vain, Applejack is stubborn, Fluttershy is shy (*gasp*), Rainbow Dash is cocky and arrogant, Pinkie Pie is hyper. What is Twilight? A little OCD? Hardly that big of a flaw, we have to have specific episodes (Lesson Zero and that time traveling one) to even show this as a problem, while the other characters are shown this naturally without needing to be the focus of an episode. That being said, I hardly would advocate a return to G1, even if I know absolutely nothing about it. Twilight isn't a bad character, I still love her, she's just too normal for her to be in the rankings.

From what I have seen of G1 which includes the movie, and the first four episodes of the show I would say one of the main problems with the show was the lack of any character depth. It was insanely hard for me to remember any of the ponies even after only a few hours had past. It would seem to me that any move trying to make MLPFIM closer to G1 could only be a step down. FIM was a fresh start that nobody saw coming. That was the point it was fresh and introduced new characters in a new world.

Even if I didn't like G4 twilight's personality (and I do, she's adorkable) then I still wouldn't want them to switch it with G1 twilight. Like I said in an earlier thread, I may not have seen G1, but almost all reviews and opinions I've heard about it say that a downside of it was the flat and boring characters.

• Brohoof 1

Well I have seen G1 twilight who was in only one or two episodes. And she wasnt that predominant in either one.

None of the characters of G1 ever really got fleshed out so you can't really compare the two.

Our Twily is best Twily because she is who she is.

• Brohoof 1