Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why can't text be saved on PMs!?

Dsanders
Go to solution Solved by Nohbdy,

This has only been a little irksome for me to deal with for a while now, now but this incident has really pushed my patience over the line.

To explain as calmly and clearly as I can, I want to know, why text cannot be saved in PMs?

Why is it only actual posts and blogs that have the auto save function?

s8o8sTD.png

...and not PMs?

iBdDpBF.png

That blank text box used to be a huge essay worth of text to my girlfriend by the way. That was... until I accidentally clicked the dreaded enter button. Such genuineness of words that I can never get back now.

I really need a good explanation for this.  -_-

• Brohoof 4

There's an easy way to get around this. All you have to do and copy over it to your clipboard so if it disappears, you can just paste it back.

The reason because PMs don't save itself is maybe because it doesn't have that function and doing so will take a considerable amount of time to put in.

• Brohoof 1

Im sorry to hear about the Dsanders, I'll ask one of the tech admins for you to see if its something we can simply turn on or if it's a more complicated issue.

• Brohoof 4

From my knowledge of IP.Board (which ain't great) I don't believe there is a simple feature to turn on to accomplish this - but there is probably some hooks that would do it, but they're a little more involved.

A habit of mine is to quickly select my entire post and copy it incase, especially with large posts. I do agree with an autosave feature for private messages though.

• Brohoof 1

Im sorry to hear about the Dsanders, I'll ask one of the tech admins for you to see if its something we can simply turn on or if it's a more complicated issue.

Well I look forward to hearing any of the admin's thorough explication on this matter. I'm just curious to know the reason behind this issue. That's all. :)

• Brohoof 2

This has only been a little irksome for me to deal with for a while now, now but this incident has really pushed my patience over the line.

To explain as calmly and clearly as I can, I want to know, why text cannot be saved in PMs?

Why is it only actual posts and blogs that have the auto save function?

...and not PMs?

That blank text box used to be a huge essay worth of text to my girlfriend by the way. That was... until I accidentally clicked the dreaded enter button. Such genuineness of words that I can never get back now.

I really need a good explanation for this.  -_-

As others have said, it's likely an issue with the forum software. For now, you can use the following workaround:

When you find yourself writing a lengthy post (PM or otherwise), use an external text editor such as Notepad, TextEdit, or even Word. Then, after completion, copy/paste the contents of the editor into the on-site editor. The only thing to do after that is formatting, and nothing else. If you do that, you won't have to rely on MLPF's autosave feature at all. Don't depend on something else when you can depend on yourself! 

Hope that helped! 

• Brohoof 1

As others have said, it's likely an issue with the forum software.

I thought so. Well I hope you staff members can hopefully resolve that issue soon. :(

When you find yourself writing a lengthy post (PM or otherwise), use an external text editor such as Notepad, TextEdit, or even Word. Then, after completion, copy/paste the contents of the editor into the on-site editor. The only thing to do after that is formatting, and nothing else. If you do that, you won't have to rely on MLPF's autosave feature at all. Don't depend on something else when you can depend on yourself! 

Every time I make a lengthy post? Which is like several times a day when I message my girlfriend?  :blink: I don't know. It seems too tedious of a process to become a habit for me.  :(

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Hey, @@Dsanders! ^^

Wow, this topic is old.

Did Gladius's suggestion help you out any? It's probably the best thing you can do for the time being.

I know exactly what you're talking about, it actually just happened to me and I had to retype this post. xD

I've done what he's talking about with NotePad, and it's a really good idea. ^^

Edited by Adorkable

• 5 years later...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have confirmed the issue and were able to resolve it quickly. We will be marking this as closed.