2014 MLP Forums MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT (NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP)

Doctor XFizzle

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP  

273 users have voted

1. 1. Applejack vs. Fluttershy vs. Rarity vs. Pinkie Pie

• ALL CHARACTERS
    • Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Rarity
    • Pinkie Pie

Well derpy warriors, its sad to admit it, but most likely were going to loose... it was a fun battle, but it has to end somehow. If were going to go down, were not going down giving up. We still have a (very very very) slim chance of uprising, but I doubt it. If were going down, were going down fighting. Until the final results come in, I wish the best of luck to everypony, and mabie we will come back. Never give up!

post-24840-0-18584600-1396669152_thumb.png

post-8308-0-29731900-1387311955.png

(edited)

Day 15 in Review:

A hearty congratulations to Applejack and all of her fans on a well-deserved victory.  Was just a little disappointing to see that it didn't get more exciting, but hey, you guys were out in droves, driving the best cowgirl in all of Ponyville to sweet, assured victory from start to finish.  Congrats, and best of luck in the Final Four!  AJ's only two rounds away from claiming what would be a well-deserved place on the Iron Throne... or something like that.  :ph34r:

img-2486837-1-large.jpeg

Day 16 Comments

Now then, down to business.  I'm here, and it's time to kick this match into high gear.  First of all...

img-2486837-2-tumblr_m7erix6R1Q1rae5vno1

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, this goes for both sides, those for Derpy or for Pinkie!  This match so far is way too chill and relaxed.  This is the Elite Eight for Celestia's sake, and ya'll need to seriously start treating it like one.  Get off your plots, get in each other's faces, and let's have one heck of a serious throw down here!!!  Keep it classy of course, nice and clean, we're all good sports here, but let's get some passion!  Not just a cute pic or a little one-liner of why you should vote for this pony, I want to see some serious, mother bucking passion and enthusiasm from ya'll, ya here?  Good. :okiedokielokie:

Note: If you're not in the mood for reading this next bit, I've gone and actually recorded myself reading it as well, if you're in the mood for a more audio experienced.  Be warned, however, for I've been known to make those with weaker constitutions swoon in the past with my melodious tones.  ^_^  Listen at your own risk.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1eRxRZyrfpX

For amplified epicness, listen to this number while reading or listening to speech.  And yes, I did all this for ponies, why wouldn't I?  :muffins: 

img-2486837-3-patton.jpg

Now, seeing as I, of course, am throwing all my weight and support behind Derpy, as usual, I just wanna talk to ya'll a bit, about Derpy, about voting for her, you know, the usual.  Now this isn't just for the Derp Brigade, nor those going for Pinkie, this is for everyone, lovers of AJ, Rarity, Twilight, RD, Flutters, whoever.  This here's for each and every one of you.

Overrated.  That's a word I keep seeing people going for Pinkie Pie throwing out there when they talk about why they're not voting for Derpy.  Overrated.  That's a word I really don't like seeing used to describe Ms. Hooves, of course.  In fact, I wanna instinctively do this to anyone who describes her that way ;):

img-2486837-4-300-spartan-o.gif

Sorry, can't help it. ^_^  But I think that word can get overused sometimes, no matter the circumstances.  And I really think we throw the word around liberally when we just don't understand why so many people might love something.  That doesn't mean that something or someone can't be overrated, but still, I myself am guilty of this.  I think that Maud Pie's overrated, but that's because I don't understand what people see in her.  So, without judging anyone who thinks that Derpy's overrated, and without retreading all of her history, let me just try to explain from where I'm coming why I think she deserves every bit of love she gets, going back to her origins.

On paper, yeah, it doesn't look like Derpy should get as much love as she does.  She's a background pony, there's dozens of those.  She's only talked once, generally only utilized for comedic relief.  So why the love?  Basically, Derpy's first and, to date, most important contribution has a lot to do with it, at least, that's where the foundation begins.  She was, in my opinion, the first element of the show that the makers and creators utilized to communicate with bronies.  To let us know that they knew we watched this show, that we liked it, and that they were happy we liked it and took seriously things we liked.  All by simply retaining an animation error that a whole bunch of adult viewers had caught and adored.  Well you all know what's happened since then.  The animation error grew into the most beloved background character in the show, the face of the fandom, but possibly even more importantly, one of the strongest links between bronies and MLP's creators, to this day.  As long as she keeps appearing, we know our bond is strong with them.  Yes, these days DHX shows us that they're listening in so many other ways to what we have to say about the show, but it all started with her.  All with her.  Think about that.  Derpy is a bond between bronies and DHX, a bond unlike any other.  She's not a bread and butter element of the show, something utterly necessary to the dish.  But she's a spice, an extra bit of flavor that gives the show a kick which, without, it would feel somewhat wanting in flavor, to the point that, while she may not be the most important ingredient, she's still a vital ingredient.  And suddenly, she's not looking so overrated, is she?  Suddenly it makes perfect sense that she should be here.

Now, what I'm about to ask is, really, pretty darn illogical in every sense of the word, but hey, love's not always logical, is it?  I mean heck, we all have our best ponies, and can we really say that any one of them, even Mane 6 best ponies, are THE best pony?  No, we can't.  The love we have for these ponies is completely personal preference.  Oh yeah, there's plenty of good reasons to love them, but still, could any one of these characters carry the show alone?  Heck no.  That's why I don't even have a favorite among the Mane 6; I can't single out one of them when each one is so vital to the group.  But as for Derpy, I guess I don't find it so hard to call her my best pony because, well, loving her, in so many ways, is illogical.  On paper, she doesn't deserve that much passion.  But it's what she represents and what she can be that really draws me to her.  Derpy doesn't need to grow as a character in the show, because she can be anything as is; she can be whatever the writers need her to be, she can be whatever us bronies want her to be.  I love well written characters, but the fact that so little is set in stone for Derpy is kind of awesome, really.  The bond between DHX and bronies continues because all of us can make of this character what we want, not just DHX, not just bronies, all of us.  I don't know about you, but I for one want an element like that in the Final Four.  Pinkie's won this tournament before, she's probably won tons of other best pony tournaments before, and she'll probably go far in or win tons of other best pony tournaments in the future.  That's inevitable, because she's a main character and a great character.  But we've already got water, bread, and butter in 3 slots in the Final Four.  How about we mix things up a bit, huh, just a touch.  Let's get a little spice into the Final Four and bring little ol' Derpy to a slot she'll rarely reach in any tournament, and we all know it.  What's the fun in always being logical, in always going with the choice that makes perfect sense.  Wouldn't life just be so boring if we did that all the time?  So come on, one and all.  Lovers of Rarity, let's get another pony voiced by your beloved Tabitha St. Germain in the Final Four.  Applejackers, I know we've had some rough patches in the past, but if you'll recall, Derpy was cheering on your very own AJ when she first spoke in "The Last Roundup", just happy that somepony was willing to raise some money to fix her mistake.  Flutter Corps, the Derp Brigade has stood by you through thick and thin this tournament, and now your butter pony is on her way to the Final Four for the very first time.  Twily and RD fans, I know you're still sore from your best ponies losing, but why don't you do something just crazy and buck the trend for once.  And to the followers of Pinkamena Diane Pie herself; ya know, I doubt I'll change any of your minds, but if you're feeling as crazy and random as Pinkie Pie, there's few things crazier or more random than voting for the pony competing against your best pony, that's for sure.  :lol: 

And finally, to my brothers and sisters in the Derp Brigade.  Whether we achieve victory or suffer defeat, know this; we will not, WE WILL NOT go down without a fight!  Let's raise all sorts of hell right here, right now, and give Pinkie Pie and her fans the match they deserve, a truly epic competition the likes of which this tourney's rarely seen.  We're still hanging in there, and we can become a problem for Ms. Pie just like that.  You know it, I know it, they know it.  So arm yourselves and let slip the dogs of war, because Derpy Hooves is not going down with a whimper.  If she's going out or going on, it's going to be with a bang.  I'll leave you all with this, some words from another one of my favorite underdogs currently on television:

We are lovers of Derpy, and we will not go quietly into the night.  ONWARD!!!

img-2486837-5-rohirrim-charge.gif

18_10_41_756_31368__safe_derpy_hooves_ar

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

I'm just going to make a prediction. I see Fluttershy winning over Applejack, then Derpy winning over Pinkie Pie. THEN I see the final battle for the fate of Equestria; Derpy VS Rarity. Oh by the gods, not even the power of Ghostie can help Rarity in this battle when the Muffin army dominated the battle. Derpy is the winner! (I guess so, anyways!)

post-8308-0-57732400-1422393202.png

(edited)

Derpy may not win this time, but this is, at least, very close. :derp:

Another time maybe?

I don't really like matchups with only the mane 6...

Edited by BlobuIle

Okay, lemme break somethin' down for y'all. I have conclusive proof that Pinkie Pie > Derpy.

Q: Where was Derpy first seen?

A: At Twilight's welcome to Ponyville party.

Q: Who had the idea for the party?

A: Pinky Pie did.

Q: Who invited Derpy (and all of Ponyville) to said party?

A: Pinkie Pie did.

Yes, Derpy fans, if not for Pinkie Pie, Derpy would never have been at the party, and you wouldn't have your darling little mare in the first place.

3c15e675eb708f6d8e4267641a2c593b.jpg

So vote for Pinkie Pie, it is your duty!

• Brohoof 4

Happy minion of The Fabulous One!

img-2257-1-sig-2257.sig-2257.sig-2257.Full_Spectrum2_2.jpg

Signature by Midnightive

Check out my blog! https://mlpforums.com/blog/1083-sunny-side-den/

Ah well, Dash fans. We tried...

• Brohoof 1

Aim high kid, but don't aim for the impossible - Rainbow Dash

D7CYgYa.png

^Amazing Signature by the great and powerful Lunia!^                                                         

>My Request Shop<         MLP Forum's self-proclaimed evil enchantress.    > My Deviantart<

Crackle the Dragon

I'm late, but Fizzle, can we actually add Crackle in next year?

• Brohoof 1

Have the courage to think and act on your own. And have the courage to disobey.

So the last of the final four is about to be determined. At this point, I can no longer base my choices on feelings. I love Pinkie Pie very much. :) But the finals will be here very soon and I have to vote in a way that best helps my beloved Fluttershy (or Applejack should Flutters fall to her).

Go ahead. Call me underhanded, two-faced, duplicitous, whatever. :comeatus: If you're not thinking ahead and making strategic moves, you're not doing everything you can to help your favorite pony win this thing. That's why my vote is going to our favorite muffin pony! :derp:

If you would like to see positive reasons to support Derpy, go no further than here! http://mlpforums.com/blog/1009/entry-10862-please-vote-for-derpy-a-humble-beseech-from-a-derp-knight/

• Brohoof 1

487_Chamberlain.jpg

Derp Brigade, rally, rally I say!  There's still time left yet!  Time for victory!  Time for glory!  Rally, rally I cry!  If this is to be our Pickett's Charge, then let us go down in flames and glory!!!  :muffins:

third-winchester-painting.jpg

• Brohoof 3

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

The big day has arrived. Before the new polls go up and the frenzied posting starts, I'd like to take the opportunity here to address the Applejack Army. (Including, but obviously not limited to @@Noire Panzer, @@Anilewe@@Stellafera, and @@Sugar Cube.)

This can't help but be a somewhat bittersweet occasion for me, as I count one of your team among my closest friends. That would be @. (I count him as a friend despite the fact that just this week, he killed me five times in a row with the same home run bat in a game of Smash Bros. Melee.  ^_^ ) Because he's such a huge AJ fan, I've voted for AJ every chance I've gotten over the last two years. I witnessed the incredible victory over Derpy in the sweet 16, and the tantalizingly close defeat against Twilight in the next round. The AJ Army's loss was a feeling I knew far too well, having just endured Fluttershy's eleventh-hour loss to Luna just a few days before. And I've been there all the way this year as well, through her absolute demolition of the defending champ two days ago. She got about 40 votes in her loss to Twi last year; she got more than TRIPLE that number against Dash.

I've met plenty of AJ fans while participating in these votes, and I felt I should let the AJ Army know how impressed I have been with them. You're all extremely passionate and energetic folks. Last year, you showed your tenacity and never-give-up attitude. This year, you've been showing off some serious raw power. That's the whole package right there.

However, my loyalty to Best Horse (that would be Flutters :P ) is unyielding, which leaves me in the unfortunate position of having to stand on the other side today. But know this: I was honored to stand with you last year. I was honored to stand with you this year. I am honored to have the opportunity to meet all of you on the battlefield today. And (speaking hypothetically for a moment) should my champion fall short and yours advance, I will be honored to once again stand with you in the finals. And of course I'll hope that maybe a few of you will do the same should Flutters be fortunate enough to be victorious.

The tl;dr version of this post?

#RESPECT

post-13366-0-79025900-1396707384.gif

Now that the pleasantries are done with,

PREPARE TO DEEEEEEEEE-FEND YOURSELF, APPLEJACK ARMY! I GOT YA OUTNUMBERED, ONE TO ONE!!!

post-13366-0-32377100-1396707674.gif

Oh, and a post like this wouldn't be complete without some epic battle music to get everyone pumped up. So here it is. Crank it up, and let the battle for the ages commence!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Pinkie Pie will (hopefully) soon be best pony and win the March Madness

Although I voted for Derpy this time, I will support Pinkie to the grave against Rarity.  Unfortunately for you, I'll have to turn my back on you since I'll be voting for Flutters whenever she is in the running.  I doubt Fluttershy will defeat Applejack, though (darn Rarijackers!).  I like all of the ponies that haven't been eliminated yet (except Rarity) so I probably won't be disappointed in the outcome.

Edited by StarSwirlTheBearded

post-8308-0-79770000-1395439789.png

Sig by Kyoshi

Ask me anything – http://mlpforums.com/topic/94670-ask-sstb-me/

And now, my pregame address to the Fluttershy Corps... (That would be @@Wingnut@@Sterling Crimson@@@cmarston1, and @, among others.)

Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

Citizens of Ponyville, of Cloudsdale, my brothers.

I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of pegasi fails,

when we forsake our favorite pony and break all bonds of fellowship.

But it is not this day.

An hour of fire-breathing dragons and shattered tournament dreams

as the Age of Fluttershy comes crashing down.

But it is not this day!

THIS DAY WE FIGHT!

post-13366-0-60928800-1396710288.jpg

• Brohoof 1

FINAL FOUR TIME!!

YESTERDAY'S RESULTS - EAST REGION ELITE EIGHT
(1) Pinkie Pie fires off her party cannon in a 89-68 win over (2) Derpy Hooves TO ADVANCE TO THE FINAL FOUR

ICeIx2X.jpg
MLP Forums' resident timelord, sports dilettante, and purveyor of wit and humor
~*Traveling Timelord Nonpareil*~

(edited)

Go, APPLEJACK :D No matter what - for us you're always the winner!

Edited by Anilewe

Fan of Applejack? Join us! We have the best cider from Sweet Apple Acres! :D

applejack_fan_button__requested__by_supe

ORANGESEXY IS THE BEST PONY!

Derpy: I just don't know what went wrong!

• Brohoof 1

Yo! I'm Shenron00, but you can call me “Shen” if you want!

img-3351585-1-TYmaDVk.png

Thanks to WheatleyCore for the sig! BTW, yes, I do realize that's Carnage and not Shenron.

(edited)

Spread some AJ love on this forum <3 

She deserves it!

post-20905-0-89614300-1396710746.gif

post-20905-0-30740100-1396710753.gif

The cutest little cowpony in all of Equestria :D 

post-20905-0-96597200-1396710886_thumb.png

post-20905-0-39974400-1396710888_thumb.png

post-20905-0-70683300-1396710891_thumb.png

post-20905-0-46470300-1396710893_thumb.png

post-20905-0-12685500-1396710739_thumb.gif

Edited by Anilewe