Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Shining not an alicorn?

Pat.Rio.T.

It could be that Celestia or Hasbro or the makers of the show, may be intensionally, or unintentionally sexist.  Aiming a show at little girls, and trying not to be sexist like some other shows and comics (especially older comics) that show boys are the only ones good at the important stuff and girls can only be girlfriends and such they may have unintentionally be sexist in the other way.  Girls are the only ones good at anything important and the only ones who can ascend/earn alicornhood.  Boys are just around to do the heavy lifting, and be boyfriends. 

Also, a debate on this topic is really moot because the only person who can verify anything is Faust and not a majority vote. This would do better as a discussion than a debate O:

Errm, this...isn't a debate thread. Nor did I ever intend for it to be. Also I never thought for one second that we could or would ever change anything, I just was curious and was wondering what others thought on the matter. Because I love Shining, and think he's awesome, but I noticed that there were no male alicorns. 

Celestia sees no reason to cast her magic ascendance powers on Shining.  My hunch is Cadence was given her powers because she was the most loving pony in Equestria and her acts inspired Celestia to give her Princess Status.  Shining is just a nice guy.  Though when you stop and think about it he is a very loving stallion.  What a minute..  What makes Cadence more loving than any other loving pony?  Am I saying Cadence is more loving than anyone?  Why the favoritism?  What constitutes love?  Romantic love or platonic love?  Is she never unloving?

Screw it.  Just make everyone an Alicorn.   :blink:

(edited)

@

Yes unless you quote or mention the person your talking to, or unless they have followed the thread, there no way a person would even know someone is talking to them.

The nice thing about using Mention for a member is that you can get their attention without quoting anything in particular they have said, or if your commenting on multiple posts. That and it means your post will be less cluttered.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

the persion poetess broke this down in one of her videos,

his duties hold him back from attaining the coveted role of alicorn.

Sombre lack of harmoney kept him from being an alicorn,

and star swirls lack of friend ship.

I'm okay with the idea of a colt becoming an alicorn,

that's fine.  Cool beans,

but i don't wanna do it cause it's affirmative action and we gotta have one.

Lets have it make sense.

and sadly they'd kinda need to put the right focus on shinning.

Errm, this...isn't a debate thread. Nor did I ever intend for it to be. Also I never thought for one second that we could or would ever change anything, I just was curious and was wondering what others thought on the matter. Because I love Shining, and think he's awesome, but I noticed that there were no male alicorns. 

I just mean that it's turning into a debate. XD And I don't think it should.

(edited)

Because he is a prince consort. And Blueblood isn't one because he was presumably born a prince.

Discounting Celestia and Luna since they seem different, the two normal alicorns we have seen got their title directly through ascension to alicornhood. In other words, Shining and Blueblood did not earn their titles in the same way as Twilight and Cadence, and that is why they are not alicorns. The specifics are muddy, but it's pretty safe to say that ascended alicorns earn their status; they don't get it from being born into royalty or marrying into it, though that could probably change anytime Hasbro wants it to. Can't really say for Celestia and Luna, as like I said, they seem to be something totally different than ascended alicorns such as Twilight. Either way, I'm sure Shining Armor and, sigh... Blueblood could become an alicorn if they were to properly earn it.

That's the only explanation I can think of, as I'm sorry to say that I can't take the people who say "They aren't alicorns because they are male" very seriously, because to be blunt, I feel that's beyond ridiculous. What would the reason for that even be? Genes? Not likely since alicorns ascend through magic, biology should be irrelevant, and that would be a pretty big fanny-pull anyway. The only other possibility I can think of is that you'd be suggesting that Celestia simply wouldn't allow a stallion to ascend even if they otherwise qualified, and I just can't see that as reasonable.

Edited by Vixor

I know hes a prince but not a (god-like) prince unlike the other alicorns he does not seem ready to be part of the race (even know i do feel a lil, sorry XD)

I think Princesses are suppose to be Alicorns and Princes are Unicorns in Equestria. But that's just my opinion

I had heard something about a male alicorn soon though...

Cadance and Twilight are not immortal

twilight is already dead, her body was destroyed quite clearly in magical mystery cure.

You miss understood the writing stafffs answer "she won't out live her friends"

because that meant she's already died.

I belive that celestia thinks he is not really to become a alicorn reason a. he has not learned a main importamt magic b. he has saved the world but cadance was the one who made the "love boom" thing.

b. he has saved the world but cadance was the one who made the "love boom" thing.

That's not true, they couldn't have done it without each other. Shining said

"No! My power is useless now. I don't have the strength to repel them."

And after Cadence replies with,

"My love will give you strength."

she joins her horn with his to give him a boost of power so that they could perform the spell together.

• 1 year later...

Those are the guards' tails, not their wings. Look closer.

No they have wings, but that's a legitimate animation error.

Anyway, Shining is not an alicorn because he was not born one and hasn't earned it.

Marrying into royalty or being born into royalty won't necessarily mean your get to be an alicorn.

I could see him becoming the Prince of Protection though. That'd be cool.

• Brohoof 2

No they have wings, but that's a legitimate animation error.

Anyway, Shining is not an alicorn because he was not born one and hasn't earned it.

Marrying into royalty or being born into royalty won't necessarily mean your get to be an alicorn.

I could see him becoming the Prince of Protection though. That'd be cool.

Oh shoot! I didn't even see those! I thought JellyBean meant their tails, but now I see the wings folded up! :P

• Brohoof 2

Oh shoot! I didn't even see those! I thought JellyBean meant their tails, but now I see the wings folded up! :P

Yeah, basically they just copy/pasted the same pegasus guard, and when they wanted to make some of them unicorns they forgot to take the wings off.

twilight is already dead, her body was destroyed quite clearly in magical mystery cure.

You miss understood the writing stafffs answer "she won't out live her friends"

because that meant she's already died.

I think you're trying to use some round about logic there.

You have no proof that that's what the staff meant by that statement.

And even if you believe Twilight's original body was destroyed and not just teleported, it's not really "dying" if your soul is immediately plopped right back into the world in a new body. Twilight is still alive and according to the writers she "won't outlive her friends". So either 1) she's mortal, or 2) all alicorns are immortal and Twi's friends are all going to become alicorns as well.

I think the first is more likely.

@@EquestrianScholar,

Yep, only 5 confirmed immortals so far: Celestia, Luna, Discord, NMM, and Sombra.

And they each got that way due to magic, not species.

Not necessarily.

It's believed that Celestia and Luna were BORN as alicorns, and born alicorns are possibly just naturally immortal.

Nothing in the cannon contradicts this idea and it was Lauren Faust's original plan, which the current staff as tried to work with.

Discord is the only Draconequus we know. They could all be immortal.

Or Draconequus is just the form he takes and he's actually just a spirit/force of nature, which has no definite lifespan.

Now NMM isn't an immortal entity. It's Luna, who is immortal.

Unless you're talking about the Nightmare Forces from the comics, who COULD be immortal naturally, I don't know much about them.

Sombra? Yeah, he was around that long because of magic.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Dadgum! This thread is ancient(and by that I mean like, a year old)! I'm glad people would want to revive such a thought-provoking discussion, but I get it, I'm an idiot. :derp: I think we can move on.