Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Shining not an alicorn?

Pat.Rio.T.

Poor Shining Armour, his wife and his little sister are alicorns.

CrystalPrincessTwilightandPrincessCadenc

Shining_Armor_cross_eyed_S2E26.png

The question is, why isn't he? The only alicorns that exist are princesses, so I think it's fairly safe to assume that anypony who earns the rank of princess also earns alicorn...hood. Shining Armor is a prince, and if I am not mistaken, there is pretty much no difference, besides gender(if anything, I think that prince is actually a slightly higher rank than princess, but for now I'll just assume that they are the same rank.).If that wasn't enough however, Shining has his own empire for crying out loud, which is more than can be said for Princess Twilight(no offense to Twily).

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

For the same reason Blueblood isn't...

I think it could be the fact he married into his prince hood... Instead of transcending into it like twilight did... However I think it would be awesome for shining to be a male alicorn... Because he's so awesome :3

Edited by JellyBean
  • Brohoof 1

Princess Celestia is a sexist tyrant. In her future vision of Equestria, all stallions will be slaves.

...No, I don't know. I've thought about this myself, but haven't come up with an answer.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I have absolutely no idea why Cadence is an alicorn. That may be the most pointless thing ever put into the show. But Twilight earned the right storyline wise. Shining married into being a prince, he wasn't naturally born one.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 3

Because he hasn't done anything that makes him an alicorn.

He's a very nice stallion and he's very heplful, but he hasn't done anything that earns him the crown.

Twilight has saved Equestria several times and mastered friendship, Cadence has done...something (still haven't read that Crystal Heart Book yet but I'm sure she did something) and Luna and Celestia freeded Equestria from enterenal chaos.

Cadence is canonically a niece of the Princesses, so I think it's also genetic in Cadence's case. That implies there are more alicorns out there as Cadence's family and linage linking her to the Princesses, I suppose...

But Twilight (fanfic aside) isn't related to the Princesses. Her alicornhood is a result of her power, which Shining Armor doesn't necessarily share to the same degree, so no alicorn for him. At the moment, anyways.

Cadence is canonically a niece of the Princesses, so I think it's also genetic in Cadence's case. That implies there are more alicorns out there as Cadence's family and linage linking her to the Princesses, I suppose...

From what I've learned, Cadence was a pegasus before becoming an alicorn.

• Brohoof 3

From what I've learned, Cadence was a pegasus before becoming an alicorn.

Oh. Looked up spoilers for the Crystal Heart Book and yep, it looks like Cadence's alicornhood was also gained through deed. So Shining Armor could do it if he did something amazing enough.

But Twilight (fanfic aside) isn't related to the Princesses. Her alicornhood is a result of her power, which Shining Armor doesn't necessarily share to the same degree, so no alicorn for him. At the moment, anyways.

In The Crystal Heart Spell, it says they aren't biologically related.

Shining married into being a prince, he wasn't naturally born one.

That is irrelevant. Twilight and Cadence weren't either. The only "naturally born" princesses we know of are Celestia and Luna, And even then I'm not sure that they were actually princesses when they were born.

(edited)

@@Pat.Rio.T.,

Lemme ask you something.

Name one canon male alicorn. Even Prince Blueblood, who is directly related to an alicorn is a unicorn. My headcanon is that males cannot become alicorns. Except Celly's dad. I'll make an exception there.

There's your answer.

Edited by Shift

(edited)

I have absolutely no idea why Cadence is an alicorn. That may be the most pointless thing ever put into the show. But Twilight earned the right storyline wise. Shining married into being a prince, he wasn't naturally born one.

Tell 'em, Vince!

Alicorns make more expensive toys than normal ponies.

As for Armor, it could be one of two things:

A. He married into the family.

B. Equestria is an inherently sexist society.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 2

Lemme ask you something.

Name one canon male alicorn. Even Prince Blueblood, who is directly related to an alicorn is a unicorn. 

There's your answer.

Except that's kinda my point

There are no male alicorns.

@@Pat.Rio.T.,

Lemme ask you something.

Name one canon male alicorn. Even Prince Blueblood, who is directly related to an alicorn is a unicorn. My headcanon is that males cannot become alicorns. Except Celly's dad. I'll make an exception there.

There's your answer.

That's... kinda sexist.

I believe that alicornhood is not something you are born with. You have to earn the power of an alicorn through great deeds.

• Brohoof 1

Except that's kinda my pointThere are no male alicorns.

Actually... There are two...

Royal_guard_Alicorn_id_S2E25.png

Look at the guards with unicorn horns... They have wings too! (Probably an animation error but hey! Male alicorns!)

And like I said... Cadance probably had a true understanding of the magic of love... Whereas twilight had a true understanding of the magic of friendship... Digibrony had an interesting point about Celestia and Starswirl... Something about Starswirl having the potential to transcend into alicorn state but because he didn't truly understand the magic of friendship... He couldn't... Maybe? I dunno...

• Brohoof 1

That's... kinda sexist.

I believe that alicornhood is not something you are born with. You have to earn the power of an alicorn through great deeds.

I'm starting to get the impression that people think that I think Shining was a born prince. But anyway, this is not true in Celestia and Luna's case. They were born alicorns, Faust said so.

Because, He does not know the magic of friendship! Or because they dont wanna have yet another alacorn

I think that Shining does understand the magic of friendship and love, which is how he defeated the changlings. But it takes more than that to ascend: Twilight defeated several major threats and became the most powerful magic user in the world. Celestia and Luna found the elements of harmony and mastered their power. And Cadance did somethint oo.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@

Read the book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell.

@

Not true, it has been established that Cadance was a pegasus adopted and raised by earth ponies and after she became an alicorn she was adopted by Celestia into the royal family as her niece.

@@Shift,

Birth parents unknown, but adopted by earth ponies. Cadance was also born a pegasus not an alicorn.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Manman20x6,

I didn't mean it to come out as sexist, sorry if you were offended x.x 

Trust me I have nothing against boys, some of them are cool

Edited by Shift

(edited)

That's... kinda sexist.

I'm sorry if I'm stirring the pot here, but I think that sexism is a blemish in this show's nature. And I really dislike it that this show gets a pass either because "it's for little girls" or because girls never had a show like this before. This show all too often shows male characters as easy targets for cruel gags, which is why I'm strongly opposed to Spike's punching bag status for this season and Snips and Snails' existence. People try to justify this show implanting destructive notions that would tear people apart rather than bring them together, and I'm sick of it.

I'm not saying they should bring in a male alicorn or main character just to make up for it. They should just let male characters be positive role models just like the females and stop using them for cheap gags or as symbols for laziness, incompetence, or blind obedience.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 1

Becoming an alicorn seems to require an acute knowledge of the inner workings and powers of magic.  Shining Armor, while a powerful spellcaster in his own right, doesn't seem to quite make the cut.

Why does he need to be? Alicorns seem kinda overrated, but not that bad as long as its just a few.

To be honest, Shining Armor seems more like a loyal knight, who has no interest in being in a position of power, he'd rather just be a guardian.

And on the Celestia is a sexist tyrant...please, Neo-Queen Serenity has the copyright on that :P