Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Shining not an alicorn?

Pat.Rio.T.

Let the females still be most important and dominating characters in the show. But we deserve at least a short canon mention about at least one male alicorn in the history of Equestria, who wasn't a villain in addition.

Here's a point that means nothing...

Twilight is now Princess Twilight, meaning she's a princess.

Shining is Twilight's brother, so technically he is prince Shining armor.

but because he married Princess Cadence, wouldn't that make her Queen Cadence and him King Shining Armor?

Which only begs the question, How the hell is Cadence an Alicorn?!

(edited)

@Adventure Sphere,

The Crystal Heart Spell reveals Cadance was once a pegasus adopted by Earth ponies. She grew up with love powers, and eventually used them to stop some unicorn from using a ripoff of the Alicorn Amulet to go all Trixie/Sombra on her village... Cue Magical-Mystery-Cure-type shenanigans.

Edited by Anti-Villain

@,  

Honestly I would rather not, for the simple fact I don't want more alicorns. Originally there was only supposed to be Celestia and Luna. Yet then Cadance appeared and while I like her now very much I was annoyed at first. Finally Twilight is an alicorn and while I may have enjoyed her as a unicorn I have come to accept and even embrace her as an alicorn.

@,

Read Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell, you should be able to find it online, and it will explain your question of how and why Cadance is an alicorn.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that being royalty (i.e. attaining prince/ss status) does not automatically translate to alicornhood. To be an alicorn is a right that must be earned through a great deed.

Twilight learned the magic of friendship - the great deed that sealed her "promotion" was completing Starswirl's unfinished spell.

Cadence learned the magic of love - she managed to defeat a witch by the power of love alone (according to the Crystal Heart book).

Shining Armor simply married into his status as prince. He has not, as of yet, done any great deed that would earn him the right to become an alicorn. Same could be said for Blueblood. He's related to the princesses by blood, but clearly he isn't worthy of alicorn status.

At least, that's my personal theory. I'd hate to think that they're just refusing to make a male character an alicorn without any justification.

(edited)

@,

Actually if I remember correctly Celestia found, much to her surprise, a pony in that astral plane that only she should have know about. Something like that anyway and as such she did not see Cadance fighting off the mare attacking her village.

Correct me if I am wrong though

He's related to the princesses by blood, but clearly he isn't worthy of alicorn status.

Though remember it was said by Lauren Faust that Prince Blueblood was like 55 times removed, more that Celestia was his Great 55 times Aunt.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

@,

Seems your having trouble with mentioning. The easiest way I have found is simply highlighting part of the post of the one you want to reply to and clicking the Mention button. Also you can use this to Quote only the part of the post you have highlighted.

I believe that alicornhood is not something you are born with. You have to earn the power of an alicorn through great deeds.

I believe that there's two different kinds of alicorns.

Born alicorns and "artificial" alicorns. Celestia and Luna are born alicorns and thus have immortal lifespans (though they still be hurt). And I think both of them are probably the last ones left.

But I agree with you partially. Anyone else CAN become a "artificial" alicorn.

I noticed it as well, but they should at least have a Male Alicorn.  Only, if there were to be one.  Most likely he would be a King.  For that matter a God. 

Princess Celestia is a sexist tyrant. In her future vision of Equestria, all stallions will be slaves.

Lol.  That was really funny, :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Read the book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell.

This has a point, Candence was not born an alicorn either, however she learned to master the power of love and thus control over one of the major elements in the world (not the elements of harmony I mean like love, peace, magic, ect.) thus she was able to ascend into alicorn-hood. Twilight mastered the magic of friendship thus giving her the rank of alicorn but shining... sorry buddy you'll get there hopefully :P.

Edited by ShadowSpectrum

I'm pretty sure that Prince Blueblood isn't an alicorn, because he's an assclown.

Imagine what would happen to Equesrria if he became an alicorn......

@,

Seems your having trouble with mentioning. The easiest way I have found is simply highlighting part of the post of the one you want to reply to and clicking the Mention button. Also you can use this to Quote only the part of the post you have highlighted.

No trouble, just why go through all the trouble mentioning, when simply typing gets the job done in half the time?

No trouble, just why go through all the trouble mentioning, when simply typing gets the job done in half the time?

The fact is though your mentions have failed to notify me you have replied and they are simply words a part of your post, no link created or notice sent.

Why are there three pages of debate on this?  The reason why he isn't an alicorn is because either A) he wasn't born an alicorn, or B ) He didn't perform any great deed worthy of alicornization. 

You know, just like *every other* non-alicorn in the show.

• Brohoof 1

Why isn't Sombra an alicorn? Why isn't Roid Rage an Alicorn? Why am I not an alicorn?

Yo dawg, I heard you like alicorns. So I made an alicorn, that turns into an alicorn, so you can have an alicorn, that's an alicorn!

Yo dawg, I heard you like alicorns. So I made an alicorn, that turns into an alicorn, so you can have an alicorn, that's an alicorn!

If you already have made an Alicorn why would it have to transform again?

It's pretty much already been stated correctly: Shining Armor has naught a feat worthy of being an alicorn.

Also, a debate on this topic is really moot because the only person who can verify anything is Faust and not a majority vote. This would do better as a discussion than a debate O:

Anyway, I think there should be the introduction of a male alicorn at some point for the fun of it, but I don't think it matters at all.

Remember the episode Magic Duel? And in the end, Twilight had to preform for the delegates of Saddle Arabia? They weren't alicorns but they still had positions of high importance, being delegates and all.

I think a lot of the fandom kind of focuses too much on "all or nothing". Meaning, we seem to think that ponies either need to be normal or alicorns but for some reason we don't think too much about the in-between. We should have more fun trying to design a head-cannon for how the monarchy works in Equestria than trying to put ponies in positions we don't fully understand XD