Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Applejack ''out of character'' in the latest episode?

LordDiscord

I would like to note that there are {SPOILERS AHEAD} so dread carefully if you have not yet seen the new episode. 

As for the topic at hand I would like to point out that I do indeed feel that AppleJack was way out of character in this episode. The way she constantly continued to overly protect Applebloom, even to the point she felt she need to constantly watch her 24/7, her over protectiveness felt way to forced to be believable. I could buy that she would have concern for Applebloom being on her own, but to the degree that she felt the need to ''babyfy'' everything, we have seen Applebloom do many dangerous stunts in the past while trying to achieve her cutie mark and AppleJack seemed non the wiser, we have also seen Applebloom do various chores around the farm that did not require he to wear any form of protection.

Not only that but I feel that the premise should have been centered around Twilight being overly protective of Spike, rather than AJ, constantly bothering AB. Atleast that would be believable as Twilight has shown some ''over protectiveness'' toward Spike in many episodes and I feel that had this been a Spike episode that this idea and moral would have worked alot better.

I don't know, maybe I am overlooking something, I still feel that this is too protective, even for AppleJack.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

She was used as a plot device and as a character, not treated very well in the process. If every episode was like that, people would notice she seems soulless and not like a real character. 

That one line about the drawer was especially bad.

Edited by Solar-Wind
  • Brohoof 2

I don't really think so. Sure, Applejack's a little rough and tumble, but she's stubborn, and with all of the dependable aspects she shows for her friends and family through and through, I would also have to agree this was a super big state of over exaggerating for her and her accusations about Applebloom.  

There is something of a progression to Applejack acting the way she did.

Starts out a little worried about leaving Applebloom alone > Starts turning it into a bigger and bigger thing in her head on the way to deliver the pies > Comes home to have her fears "confirmed" > loses her damn mind

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

tbef5cf_439652520-2520applejack2520hmm_2

Considering that she's so stubborn and she likes to have everything under control? Nah. 

It was Applejack I used to know and love.

Applejack is like a mother figure for Apple Bloom and we saw in the past that she has a tendency to be overprotective (Bridle Gossip, anyone?). Their parents aren't there to look after Apple Bloom, so AJ feels responsible for her and is afraid that she would lost her little sister. It was the first time, when she really let Apple Bloom stay alone at home and it doesn't surprise me that she was nervous about this situation. It's what parents do. Worry about their kids. Of course, AB was by herself in the past, but there usually was Granny Smith or someone else on the farm to help her, if something bad happened. 

Though, I need to admit that there were moments, when this new writer got a little carried away and portrayed AJ as stupid. It wasn't necessary. Applejack is worried, acts irrationally, we got it. 

BUT. All those scenes with Applejack going crazy about Apple Bloom's safety were a PARODY. Parody of overprotective parents. It was supposed to make us laugh and in my opinion we shouldn't take it too seriously.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 8

I wouldn't say out of character at all.

I'd say they overdid it more with her overprotectiveness(though not to the point of flanderization like some believe), and had good reason for behaving the way she did

There is something of a progression to Applejack acting the way she did.

Starts out a little worried about leaving Applebloom alone > Starts turning it into a bigger and bigger thing in her head on the way to deliver the pies > Comes home to have her fears "confirmed" > loses her damn mind

I'm glad someone picked up on it, this is AJ's freak out episode (no 'Applebuck Season' doesn't count). Pinkie was exaggerated in 'Party of One', Fluttershy in 'The Best Night Ever', Twilight in 'Lesson Zero', Rarity in 'Simple Ways'. Why can't AJ go through that same process? I assume it's because the novelty of MLP has worn thin, and while people still like the show they are now picking up on trends that have always been there, and calling Season 4 worse because of it. I'm not saying you should like Season 4, but this was done in Season 1 & 2 with no backlash. Why is it an issue here?

• Brohoof 4

Bridle Gossip, nuff said. The issue was the misunderstanding with Zecora and not Applejack's over protective nature. So it was never dealt with and put on the back burner.

Applejack has been shown to give some slack to Applebloom and knows that she's prone to getting in/causing serious trouble (Cutie Pox and Ponyville Confidential).

So the feelings are justified and needs to strike a balance.

I'm glad someone picked up on it, this is AJ's freak out episode (no 'Applebuck Season' doesn't count). Pinkie was exaggerated in 'Party of One', Fluttershy in 'The Best Night Ever', Twilight in 'Lesson Zero', Rarity in 'Simple Ways'. Why can't AJ go through that same process? I assume it's because the novelty of MLP has worn thin, and while people still like the show they are now picking up on trends that have always been there, and calling Season 4 worse because of it. I'm not saying you should like Season 4, but this was done in Season 1 & 2 with no backlash. Why is it an issue here?

Not to this degree, even if AppleJack was concerned for her sister being alone, AppleJack had already established that she was staying, so the worry of her getting hurt should have faded. In the past, the Cutie Mark Crusaders have done plans that were far more dangerous than raking leaves or bucking trees, that AppleJack had never displayed any form of worry from, heck there has been numerous times that Applebloom had been seen working on the farm, and was not expected to wear some form of safety equiptment, I can't buy that Big Macintosh or Granny Smith being there made a difference in how AppleJack would normally act. She was simply used as a ''plot devise'' and nothing more and that is what I disliked about this episode as I feel that had this had been a Spike episode, that not only would it have worked better, the character would not come off as nothing but a device to drive the narrative instead of a character. 

Bridle Gossip, nuff said. The issue was the misunderstanding with Zecora and not Applejack's over protective nature. So it was never dealt with and put on the back burner.

Applejack has been shown to give some slack to Applebloom and knows that she's prone to getting in/causing serious trouble (Cutie Pox and Ponyville Confidential).

So the feelings are justified and needs to strike a balance.

Not to this degree however, yes there have been times that AppleJack showed sighs of being concerned but those times atleast were justified by the fact that Applebloom could have been in actual danger instead of fictionalized danger, Applebloom would have never attempted to take the pies to there destination had AppleJack not treated her as if she was a new born foal.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think so. I was pretty worried before the episode aired that it was going to make her unsympathetic a la Spike At Your Service, but they struck a good balance. It's not as if Applejack's ridiculous side is undocumented...

img-2387525-1-439352__safe_applejack_ani

img-2387525-2-tumblr_mo79crqhoE1rzgkwfo1

img-2387525-3-tumblr_mmazx9JV7s1r7pqrpo3   img-2387525-4-tumblr_mmazx9JV7s1r7pqrpo4  img-2387525-5-tumblr_mmazx9JV7s1r7pqrpo2

img-2387525-6-h89925__safe_applejack_ani

Twilight's anxieties tend to revolve around her perfectionism and organizational skills; she trusts Spike quite a bit. If anything, Twilight faces more problems with being there for him than with being overprotective, as she gets so wrapped up in what's she's doing that she doesn't put aside time for Spike.

Applejack, on the other hand, is very concerned about her responsibilities towards her family [and friends]. I mean, good grief, responsibility makes up most of her plots! Applebuck Season, The Last Roundup, Apple Family Reunion, even Spike at Your Service and Pinkie Apple Pie. It's something she holds very dear to her heart and is terrified of losing.

Another core AJ trait is stubbornness, and she definitely is stubborn about Applebloom needing her protection! Once she was convinced that Applebloom couldn't handle herself, it was very hard to change her mind. It leads to confirmation bias; Applebloom's attempts at proving that she can handle herself only lead to AJ getting even more stuck in her ways. While that could happen with other members of the Mane 6, it's such a trademark Applejack move that I'd be suspicious.

Changeling?

Applejack's default solution to a problem is "Apply hard work!", and that was no different here. Worried that Applebloom could get into a bad situation? MAKE THE ENTIRE HOUSE PADDED. That's something physical, tangible, and with immediate payoff. Aka: easy for Applejack to understand. Look Before You Sleep centered around this.

We also found out later in the episode that the delivery trip is very dangerous. While it was only supposed to take the afternoon, it is not hard to imagine how they could get delayed. Imagine; the chimera manages to snap off one of the Apples' legs before they have the chance to fend it off and they're stuck there for a long time. Not too hard for her to get hysterical about things as Applebloom's surrogate mother in this scenario, no? 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 8

I don't think so. I was pretty worried before the episode aired that it was going to make her unsympathetic a la Spike At Your Service, but they struck a good balance. It's not as if Applejack's ridiculous side is undocumented...

img-2387525-3-tumblr_mmazx9JV7s1r7pqrpo3   img-2387525-4-tumblr_mmazx9JV7s1r7pqrpo4  img-2387525-5-tumblr_mmazx9JV7s1r7pqrpo2

Twilight's anxieties tend to revolve around her perfectionism and organizational skills; she trusts Spike quite a bit. If anything, Twilight faces more problems with being there for him than with being overprotective, as she gets so wrapped up in what's she's doing that she doesn't put aside time for Spike.

Applejack, on the other hand, is very concerned about her responsibilities towards her family [and friends]. I mean, good grief, responsibility makes up most of her plots! Applebuck Season, The Last Roundup, Apple Family Reunion, even Spike at Your Service and Pinkie Apple Pie. It's something she holds very dear to her heart and is terrified of losing.

Another core AJ trait is stubbornness, and she definitely is stubborn about Applebloom needing her protection! Once she was convinced that Applebloom couldn't handle herself, it was very hard to change her mind. It leads to confirmation bias; Applebloom's attempts at proving that she can handle herself only lead to AJ getting even more stuck in her ways. While that could happen with other members of the Mane 6, it's such a trademark Applejack move that I'd be suspicious.

Changeling?

Applejack's default solution to a problem is "Apply hard work!", and that was no different here. Worried that Applebloom could get into a bad situation? MAKE THE ENTIRE HOUSE PADDED. That's something physical, tangible, and with immediate payoff. Aka: easy for Applejack to understand. Look Before You Sleep centered around this.

We also found out later in the episode that the delivery trip is very dangerous. While it was only supposed to take the afternoon, it is not hard to imagine how they could get delayed. Imagine; the chimera manages to snap off one of the Apples' legs before they have the chance to fend it off and they're stuck there for a long time. Not too hard for her to get hysterical about things as Applebloom's surrogate mother in this scenario, no? 

That was very well said, Stellafera.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, absolutely and that is what dragged down the episode. I loved Applejack before this episode and still do but that was ridiculous. As has been pointed out in another thread Applejack can in some cases be overprotective so I have no issues with that but have many issues with how it was presented and just how much it was exaggerated. This whole episode just reeks of lazy writing, they just made Applejacks over protectiveness to an extent far beyond what is believable for her character and this situation and that is what made her out of character in this episode. There were not nearly enough extenuating circumstances to justify this, if Applejack caught Applebloom trying to actually do something dangerous and maybe another tweak here and there how much she freaked out might actually make sense. Padding the house and worrying whether she should have reminded Applebloom that if she wanted to get a spoon to open the cupboard is serious overkill.

• Brohoof 1

No, I didn't think Applejack was out of character, she was just zealously protective of her young sibling. Growing up I had an older sister too, and she did get very protective me, but that is what happens in a family, we see each other's vulnerability in plain sight, and sometimes become forgetful of that person's strength. I have a tendency to be protective of my younger brother and sister too, because I care deeply for them, and I don't like seeing them suffer, although they live so far away from me now, I will always be there for them, frankly I understand completely why Applejack so concerned for Applebloom's welfare, nevertheless she did see Applebloom overcome her obstacles, so Applejack did learn to trust Applebloom's maturity, and this is the beauty of Applejack, her steadfast grace to be there for her family, now it could be a plot device, or just plot contrivance for filler, but I see more than that, I see the love between siblings, even that has to count for someone.  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Just a theory, I think (Ponyville Confidential) laid the groundwork for Applejack to be more zealous in this episode. Applebloom had a hoof in turning everyone in Ponyville against them. Then there was Applejack letting her anger do the talking in which she turned her back on Applebloom. Maybe some regret on Applejack's part and taking responsibility that if her younger sister had someone being a stronger guiding presence, then Applebloom wouldn't be getting into this serious trouble.

Edited by Singe

Changeling?

While I see what you are saying, I still feel that this was way overdone even for AppleJack. In many of your examples, AppleJack atleast had a reason to be over protective other than just out of paranoia. AppleJack had never acted this protective toward Applebloom when it comes to chores before nor has she forced AppleBloom to quit the Cutie Mark Crusaders do to how many dangerous stuns they have done before. I could understand her being concerned for AppleBloom since this was the first time she was left home alone, however once she returned home and saw that AppleBloom was not injured than she should have been fine or if she still felt that AppleBloom need protection she could have gotten Rarity to watch over her while she went to deliver the pies, you know like she managed to do to watch over SweetieBelle and Scootaloo when she needed to go save AppleBloom even though she could have easily sent them home. I just feel that there was a better way of doing this, hell if not Twilight then SweetieBelle should have been the one dealing with the over-protectiveness sense it is atleast established that Rarity is concerned for SweetieBelle a lot of time.

• Brohoof 2

Not really.  I'd say she got a bit...spliced.  The change in behavior made sense for her, the progression just wasn't quite right.  It felt like it wasn't quite enough to warrant a freak out from her.  Maybe one or two more accidents and it would have made perfect sense.

I could understand her being concerned for AppleBloom since this was the first time she was left home alone, however once she returned home and saw that AppleBloom was not injured than she should have been fin

She returned home and saw Applebloom surrounded by broken shards of glass. Not really the safest thing to find.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack being overprotective is something I would never have ruled out. She was very protective of Apple Bloom in "Bridle Gossip" and that kind of stubbornness and desire to be in control (somewhat like Twilight) was in "Applebuck Season" as well.

The problem was that Scott Sonneborn took that trait and overexaggerated it to run a string of gags from it, instead of using it naturally to build up conflict rather than to force it in under the comedy or vice-versa. This kind of overreliance on comedy that hinders the delivery of the rest of the story is why "Games Ponies Play" is one of my least favorite episodes. I wouldn't exactly call this "out of character" but just a one-off Flanderization, or Jerkass Ball, or whatever trope name one would prefer to call it.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack is stubborn when it comes to her beliefs. She didn't believe Applebloom could handle herself and couldn't shake past it. Applejack is not above to being obsessive and taking things far.

"Applebuck Season" - Applejack stubbornly believed she could handle all the work load. Her obsessiveness took it so far that she worked herself ragged.

So in essence, no it's not "out of character."

• Brohoof 1

Well, the only problem was that the new writer used the overprotective trait by using it as a line for some gags but the thing is most siblings are overprotective or try to ensure that their brother/sister is safe and sound. I wouldn't say that she was out of character, just call it what you want.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack is stubborn when it comes to her beliefs. She didn't believe Applebloom could handle herself and couldn't shake past it. Applejack is not above to being obsessive and taking things far.

"Applebuck Season" - Applejack stubbornly believed she could handle all the work load. Her obsessiveness took it so far that she worked herself ragged.

So in essence, no it's not "out of character."

Yes, but the difference here is AppleJacks entire fear was based off of paranoia that she should not have had. In Applebuck Season she had the pressure of having to collect all the apples before the season ended, where here all she had to base her fear off of was a series of accidents that she caused with her over obsessiveness. Its one thing to have AppleJack, worry for her sister when she is left alone for the first time but it something else entirely when AppleJack has confirmed she is ok and instead of just staying there to watch over her or get Rarity or someone else to babysit her while she delivers the pie but instead she becomes over protective to the point that she drives Applebloom into doing something dangerous to prove a point. 

Yes, but the difference here is AppleJacks entire fear was based off of paranoia that she should not have had. In Applebuck Season she had the pressure of having to collect all the apples before the season ended, where here all she had to base her fear off of was a series of accidents that she caused with her over obsessiveness. Its one thing to have AppleJack, worry for her sister when she is left alone for the first time but it something else entirely when AppleJack has confirmed she is ok and instead of just staying there to watch over her or get Rarity or someone else to babysit her while she delivers the pie but instead she becomes over protective to the point that she drives Applebloom into doing something dangerous to prove a point. 

Applejack and paranoia has happened before. It was her paranoia about their friendship breaking up that caused her to lie and be affected by Discord. She was caught up in the paranoia about Zecora. There was her paranoia about the bats. Her paranoia about letting the town down after failing to win a blue ribbon.

• Brohoof 1