Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does age matter to you with online friends?

jackleapp81

74 users have voted

1. 1. Does age matter to you when you're making friends with someone online?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kind of, but I'd make an exception if I got along with that person really well.

I generally prefer to talk to people around my age because we have an easier time connecting

if I try to talk to High Schoolers, it's like we're on two different planets

their life is run by schoolwork and popularity problems

while mine is run by needing a job and driving 

I always say that everyone you meet knows something you don't. IRL I have a good buddy who is 47. Can't say I am friends with anyone much younger than me I'm 25 so most people I know I hang out with up at the bar. My internet friends range from 19-40. When it comes down to it, I like talking to people around the world and learning about them and what they think about things. I'll talk to just about anyone. 

YES BECAUSE THAT MEANS I CAN'T MARRY AND @Artemis :(

In all seriousness, nah–– not really. In real life I can usually only get along with middle schoolers, but online, most, if not all of my friends are older than me. (That's easy to do, since I'm one year old and all.)

Edited by Akemi Homura
  • Brohoof 3

i prefer talking to people that are in their teens/aka around my age, but i'll talk with anyone so long as they are mature, treat me as an equal in conversation, and don't creep on me.

Age does not matter to me when it comes to making friendships but it does when it comes to relationships. I will only ever date people older than me, I prefer at least 3 years older or more.

When it comes to friendships, if the person is quite young, for example 13 or 14, then I will try to swear less around them etc.

Yeah, it does, honestly.  I have trust issues, especially over the internet.  If someone tells the truth about how old they are, I probably won't care.  As long as they aren't like 40+...  That'd be weird.

With friends? Not particularly. My oldest friends on here are past 40 and my youngest friends are around 14. As long as we click, there's no problem.

Romantic relationships, though? That's where I start drawing lines in the sand. Anything more than a 3 year age difference and I'll get a little uncomfortable.

• Brohoof 2

Well, here's my problem. I often feel like a lot of older aged people I talk to are...well they kind of ignore me. It seems like they're nice at first but then you just feel ignored by them. At least it's that way for me. So, I'm back and forth. I don't mind how old they are. A friend is a friend. But it's slightly discouraging because the people that are older than me often ignore me that way. I have three friends that are significantly older than me. Although surprisingly those three friends are my best friends! So because of that it contradicts my discouragement from their ignorance.

So, back and forth. :P

I'm still on the downside of 17, so meh, still kinda young, especially for my group of friends I talk to every day, where I'm the 2nd youngest and one of about 3 still in High School.

If the person strikes me as worth having a conversation with, then I don't care, though :D 

I usually don't go out of my way to make friends with a person, since I kinda suck at one on one talking, so I gotta really think highly of a person for me to be the one to approach them, but I'll usually try and chat with anyone who approaches me :D

So, nahh, age doesn't play much of a role with me, it's all about how a person carries themselves :D

It does matter a little bit, but it isn't important. I think that in general it is easier to talk with and relate to people who are in the same general age group and at the same point in their life, but if you can have a good conversation with someone, and you enjoy each-other's company, then age shouldn't be an issue.

I may be a bit weirded out if the age difference is rather big, say by 20 years, but if I managed to get along with them so well then age doesn't matter to me. It would, however, be nice knowing their age from the start.

As long as it's JUST friends and never seemed/tried to cross over to anything else  - I don't care.

If they don't try anything, I can be friends with anyone.

Doesn't matter on the internet or in real life. From a fairly young age I was accustomed to always being friends with people who were significantly younger/older than me for some reason or another. Not sure what it is, I just seem to attract friends from all walks of life.

More often I find myself on the opposite end of the OP's scenario, being the older individual. ^^;

No, it doesn't. I have friends online who are nearly twice my age and friends who are nearly half. One of them is precisely half my age. It's no secret that I'm a quiet person most of the time and don't often go out of my way to hang out with people I'm not accustomed to for fear of annoying them, but whenever I do initiate contact with a new acquaintance or they with me, their age is never a concern. We talk to each other and I form an opinion of them based on how our conversation goes. People I've met in their mid-teens or younger have pleasantly surprised me before with their levelheadedness almost as often as people my age or older have annoyed me with their irrationality. The moral of the story is that if you're a considerate person, we'll get along just fine; nothing else matters to me.

YES BECAUSE THAT MEANS I CAN'T MARRY AND @Artemis :sad:

</3

• Brohoof 4

Everyone on here is mostly older than me and I'm cool with it. I mean the age shocks me for a second, but if they're a nice person, then I'm cool with it. I don't really have a problem.

For me, its no.  I'm 22 and i've got friends from 12 years and up to 35.  On xbox, i've got the same thing, and I respect them no matter the age.

It doesn't matter at all to me in terms of talking to someone older than me. Several of my friends here are in or near their 20s. 

I don't mind being friends with people who are younger than me, but I'm usually more open around people who are closer to my age or older. I feel more inhibited around younger people, because I don't want to say anything or bring up a conversation that would be inappropriate for them or otherwise make them feel uncomfortable. It's not uncommon for me to talk about personal issues, spiritual beliefs, and other sensitive issues with friends, but I usually avoid bringing some of those things up if I'm talking to someone significantly younger than me.