Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does age matter to you with online friends?

jackleapp81

74 users have voted

1. 1. Does age matter to you when you're making friends with someone online?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kind of, but I'd make an exception if I got along with that person really well.

Imagine you have been talking to a person online for over a year. You didn't know how old they were, but you got along great, and you had many of the same interests.

One day, your friend tells you that he/she is 30 years old.

Uh-oh. You're only 17 years old. 

What would you do at that point? Would you still be friends with that person since you get along so well? Or would the wide age difference make you think twice about speaking to them again?

Edited by jackleapp81
  • Brohoof 3

Age don't matter to me. When a person talks to me he/she can be as old as they want, as long as he/she is a good friend.

I don't see a reason to make any noice about such and would keep hugging him/her. :D

Edited by A CrayZ Cat
  • Brohoof 1

I always suffer from this. I can't help but feel either inferior or undereducated compared to a friend whenever this happens. Even if the difference in age isn't very big.

Something similar can even happen with friends younger than me. I don't like to feel superior either. Sometimes your friend can even be surprisingly wiser than you.

Bwahahahahaaaaaa!

Sorry. I just had to laugh. :)

No, it doesn't matter. If it did, I wouldn't be doing so well on this forum. There's a bunch of us in the 40+ mark here, but most of the people I call friends on the forum are about half my age.

• Brohoof 1

Not really.  I've been talking to some friends of mine from a AATC Forum for almost two years now.  I'm nine-ten years older than most of them, lol.  As far as I know, they could care less about how old I am.

• Brohoof 1

As long as the people make for good conversation, it doesn't matter how old they are! :) I'm a 17 year old female, and I love this site because so many want to be my friends and just talk to me!  Most of them are way different than me, males, females, gay, lesbian, straight, drastically older than me and drastically younger, but I talk to everybody the same way, striking up conversation regardless of who's on the other side of things! It makes life interesting and fun. ;)

• Brohoof 4

I find that it's less about the exact age of the person and more about how mature they act.  So long as I can have a pleasant conversation with them and the majority of their actions don't irritate me, I have no problems calling them a friend.  I'll admit that the veil of the internet makes age gaps much less awkward too; meeting them in person may be a little bit different, at least for myself.

• Brohoof 4

Nope! I can actually relate to that situation in a way. I'm 17 and an online friend of mine is 28 or 29, I think. He's also Turkish! Anyway, age doesn't matter to me in friendships, especially not online friendships - what matters to me is personality. :)

• Brohoof 1

inb4 Fhaolan

Bwahahahahaaaaaa!

Oh nuts.  :P  But generally speaking, age is not an impediment to online friendship.  I have a few close friends here who are literally half my age.  Aside from a few corny jokes or "do you remember [fill in the blank]" questions, it's not even a passing thought. 

Nonetheless it's always good to be smart online regardless of how old you are.  People don't always tell the truth about their age and be careful who you share your personal information with. 

• Brohoof 6

To me, the person's age doesn't matter at all, as long as they're completely honest about their age and not just pretending. If they're great to have a conversation with, or if they're mature enough, or if they're just awesome overall, it's fine with me :)

Yeah, it's pretty annoying when my age (I'm 13) matters to guys on my friends list (you know who you are!)

Edited by Master of Antics

Yes, kinda.. I don't enjoy talking to people who are wayyyy younger than me (9 and less than 9 years of age). I just don't enjoy talking with that age group. I have no problem with people in their teens(13 - 18) or young adults (19 - 25). I'd be uncomfortable talking with people 30+, though.

I'd be uncomfortable talking with people 30+, though.

I has a sad now. :(

And you initialized the conversation today, even. ;)