Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is Rarity's last name?

Rarity Paige Belle

tumblr_m8zkgy4HTI1r3fk5s.gif;

In "Ticket Master", Rarity is talking about how she will make her debut at the Grand Galloping Gala as "Rarity Unicorn". She didn't use "the", so that makes her last name Unicorn.

Or she'll plan to change her name to sound more economical to the fashion world. :lol:

Yeah, traditional naming conventions in Equestria seem to go out the window. Genealogy must be a huge challenge in their world. No wonder Pinkie Pie couldn't definitively say she was related to the Apples.

Rarity Belle has a nice ring to it, though.

You guys are so wrong, it's not even funny. Her last name is so fabulous, that if you were to hear it, it would make your mind melt and you'd go into a coma.

• Brohoof 3

Equestrian naming conventions seem unique in that Ponies likely have a family name which goes largely unused. In a way, it makes sense. Each pony has unique name, fostering a greater sense of individuality. Names may be given based on the family name (Applejack is a good example, perhaps even Pinkie Pie), but ultimately last names go unused. As for the use of "Ms. Sparkle", using a section of the name (usually last, but not always) may simply be a form of address rather than the use of a family name. Most likely there is a family name or title which is simply used as an a-filly-ation (sorry, I had to) rather than as part of the name.

Because this topic is about Rarity, I would guess the name of her family to be either a geographical feature or a family trait, though Belle and Diamond both have a nice ring.

• Brohoof 1

I think they all just have first names, and that the "Dash" in "Rainbow Dash" and the "Sparkle" in "Twilight Sparkle" are just extensions of their first name.

Eh, that's just me, though :D

It's possible that the names we hear for the ponies aren't their full names. We already know "Pinkie Pie" is short for "Pinkamena Diane Pie".

So they might really all have a last name we don't know about.

"Applejack" might be short for "Jacqueline Apple", for instance. Which would make "Apple" a surname shared by the members of the Apple family.

So it's possible Rarity has a full name with last name we don't know about.

Put that in your headcanon, and smoke it!

Ooh, ooh. I figured it out.

Rarity's full name is...

Raquel Margarita Belle

Proof that Rarity is actually her last name:post-24783-0-69291500-1394870822.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I'ts possible that last names don't work  the same way in Equestria

Twilight's family:

Twilight Velvet

Night Light

Twilight Sparkle

Shining Armor

Apple family:

Big MacIntosh

Apple bloom

Applejack

Granny smith

Fluttershy family:

Fluttershy

pinkie pie family:

Pinkie Pie

Maud Pie

Marble Pie

Limestone Pie

Cloudy Quartz

Igneous Rock

Rainbow Dash family:

Rainbow Dash

Unnamed stallion of similar appearance

As you can see, there doesn't seem to be any real last names in the same tradition as human name giving.

• Brohoof 5

Maybe her last name is Diamond or Belle. :P

This is exactly what i always thought would fit the most. Diamond or Belle...  :D  I even made the Mane6 in Sims 3 some time ago and gave Wawity the surname: Diamond.

Great minds think alike, man!  B)

• Brohoof 2

Rarity doesn't have a last name. In Equestria, the surname of a family isn't always specifically included in a name. For example: Big Macintosh is part of the Apple family, but BM's last name (lol BM) is Macintosh, which is a type of apple. What I'm saying is that the surname is usually what the ponies names relate to and not an actual name. There are exceptions to this though, like the Pies for example, so I guess the whole surname thing wasn't exactly on Faust's mind when she started to make FIM

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure ponies don't have last names to begin with.

Some ponies have long names, some have short names~   :catface:

Edited by Lil' Brony

Well, if her sister is name "Sweetie Belle", then Rarity's last name is most likely Belle.

Not to go off topic, I think the better question you should've asked was.............what's Fluttershy's Last Name?

Belle sounds about right, but Equestria does not follow normal naming conventions, being an entirely different society. There are no visible family names in most of Equestria's ponies, except for the Apple Family, but even still not everypony there is named Apple (though they all do have apple-themed names).

I would think theme naming is more appropriate to show family ties in Equestria than everypony having the same first or last name.

I have a theory that it's Belle. What do you think?

Nice theory! :)

It's Jingleheimerschmidt.

Rarity Warberjegermanjensen

BWAHAHAH! I cracked on these two! :D

We already know "Pinkie Pie" is short for "Pinkamena Diane Pie". So they might really all have a last name we don't know about.

Good point. And they seem to hold on to this convention: Pinkie's sister is Maud Pie, so Pie seems to be her last name. Also, in "Pinkie Apple Pie" episode, there are mentions about "Apple" and "Pie" families, which again seem to be their last names. There's also "Orange" family related with Apples.

"Applejack" might be short for "Jacqueline Apple", for instance. Which would make "Apple" a surname shared by the members of the Apple family.

Hahah this one is great too! ;D

Jackie Apple... sounds like ponified Jackie Chan to me :D (and she has some predispositions ;))

Unless her first name is actually Jack :P You know, her parents could have expected a colt, but they've got a little "surprise" ;J Then they tried to raise her as a colt, which explains her brawn and savageness :P:D

Raquel Margarita Belle

Rarita Bonita Margarita Belle ;)

Naah, she has a British accent, not Latin-American :P

• Brohoof 1

I'd say most people would agree with "Belle", mostly due to Sweetie Belle's name and most of her friends, including Rarity, call her "Sweetie" most of the time anyways.

Sure it can be argued to be a nickname or a shorter version, but still it's something to think about.

I would totally agree with it being Belle though, maybe we'll see something about it in future episodes! ^^

• 4 weeks later...

Rarity Bledsoe! (Yeah. I wish I married her!)

or Wish since her mother was based of two ponies who's last names were Wish. I don't think it fits her name, though. 

It could be Belle. Sweetie Belle is often called "Sweetie Belle," But at the same time, Pinkie Pie is referred to as "Pinkie Pie" and not "Pinkie" most of the time. Same with Rainbow Dash. She is sometimes referred to as "Rainbow," but she is usually called "Rainbow Dash." We can safely assume Dash is her last name because when she claims something is her middle name, she will add it between Rainbow and Dash. "Rainbow Daring Dash." 

Rarity Belle, Magnum Belle, and Pearl Belle all work pretty well. 

Maybe... thing that makes me think otherwise is that in the Mare Do Well episode, Rainbow Dash says, "Danger is my middle name! Rainbow Danger Dash!" implying that "Dash" is her last name...  :wacko:

hasn't she also implied 'professionalism' as a middle name as well? XD

Twilight's mother is called Twilight Velvet, so I guess their last name is Twilight.

Same for Pinkie Pie, Maud Pie..., they are the Pie family.

I'm pretty sure every pony of the show has a last name, so why not Rarity?

It's either Sweetie or Belle. :P

Edited by Blobulle