Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bullies of the World

Calssius VI SilverB

For many years, I have been bullied for liking My Little Pony and been judge on my life because of it. People have been putting me down from other things as well; such as appearances, body type, etc. And to this day, I sometimes still get judged.

What's you're opinion on bullies in life? Do you still get bullied?

Ignore them or defend yourself if and when you have no choice. Tell someone. But mostly ignore them their opinions don't matter as their opinions are mostly worthless.

At my age its called harassment and or assault. With me it generally doesn't get very fare.

But when I was younger I got bullied a few times. I ignored and the weaker bullies found other "targets" but the bigger ones tried to get more physical. That didn't last long though. kind of weird react when they can't bully you.

Edited by Wolfstanus

I wonder when/how society's shift changed in regards to bullies, or why it became an issue that was actually spoken about and recognized as a problem, versus when I was younger, when behavior that was clearly "bullying" was passed off as healthy social mentality, and anyone that complained about it was labelled a snitch/tattletale or were told they just needed to deal with it/it was their fault.  Maybe the internet?

But to be a little more on topic, I think bullying affects people negatively in more ways than one, not only does it kill someone's confidence in themselves and in some extreme cases, hinders the overall quality of their life, in some people in makes them want to adapt to bullying behavior, which creates a nasty chain that threatens never to break.

Ignore them or defend yourself if and when you have no choice. Tell someone. But mostly ignore them their opinions don't matter as their opinions are mostly worthless.

At my age its called harassment and or assault. With me it generally doesn't get very fare.

But when I was younger I got bullied a few times. I ignored and the weaker bullies found other "targets" but the bigger ones tried to get more physical. That didn't last long though. kind of weird react when they can't bully you.

I do ignore them, actually. I just can't stand and hate the fact that they do that every time I go past them.

I was in a thread from another website regarding a debate on bullying. A bullied kid was punished for provoking bullying bringing a Rainbow Dash backpack to school, in that thread was nothing but pages of victim blaming based on anti-brony bias. I can't help but get extremely pissed knowing that if that kid brought something else relating to another franchise, the people in that discussion wouldn't resort to doing so.

I endured years of bullying in both the emotional and physical sense ranging from the color of my mechanical pencil to my political beliefs, and sadly, my TV show preference isn't a exception. The best way to cope is suck it up and fight when you can.

• Brohoof 1

I've been made fun of cause I draw MLP characters. I haven't even mentioned to anyone that I'm a Brony yet. Although, my family does have suspicions that I am one. Now when they call me a Brony instead of denying it I think I'll just smile and say, "Thank You" or "Ok". I don't care what people think.

I wonder when/how society's shift changed in regards to bullies, or why it became an issue that was actually spoken about and recognized as a problem, versus when I was younger, when behavior that was clearly "bullying" was passed off as healthy social mentality, and anyone that complained about it was labelled a snitch/tattletale or were told they just needed to deal with it/it was their fault.  Maybe the internet?

Definitely the internet, because it makes bullying way more effective.

Back in the day bullies could mostly only bully you at school. Now they can keep bullying you 24 hours a day on social media. Since bullying is so more effective we're getting more cases of suicides and other bad things caused by bullying, so society is forced to actually notice the problem.

It's actually kind of depressing.

I used to get bullied by this kid who was taller than me. Then I had a growth spurt. That moment when I walked up to him 4 inches taller than him... and kicked his face in... Detention, but worth it. 

Also I get picked on for being gay (I came out yesterday) And already there have been loads of "Get a life" Messages. But I brush them off.

People who bully do it because they have deep-rooted issues. Family issues, self-esteem issues, and some are just psychos.

I feel sorry for them to an extent.

I feel sorry for them because of these issues that they must be carrying around all the time.

And I know sometimes they can't always get help, but that doesn't make what they do ok.

But I can't have much sympathy for someone who take their struggles and dumps them onto someone else by bullying them.

In my opinion, bullies are whimps. And always will be just that.

• Brohoof 1

What you can do to confuse them is just act like its a rational conversation when they bully you. Just like "Yeah" "uhuh" "I know right?"

And when they call you names you can just say "Who is (name they called you)? I don't know anyone named that"

When they make fun of any of your interests, just say "Oh, well I respect your opinion then." if they bother you again just say "Why are you constantly getting into something you don't like? You dont have to impose your opinion on everyone, people like different things you know"

Using logic in a bullies face kind of blows them off and makes them think. Keeping a cool head is a must in a situation like that.

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 1

Meh I used to get bullied, now I just keep to myself mostly.

They are usually really soft and fragile, their screams are often really satisfying.

To a more healthy note, they are usually scarred by something. The ones that bullied me was damaged by their parents. (not meeting them, having bad relations etc.) Usually cowards that wants to escape their emotions.

I have grown off bullies long ago, they can't really harm me in any way anymore, I am not really a safe person to make fun off.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

Definitely the internet, because it makes bullying way more effective.

Back in the day bullies could mostly only bully you at school. Now they can keep bullying you 24 hours a day on social media. Since bullying is so more effective we're getting more cases of suicides and other bad things caused by bullying, so society is forced to actually notice the problem.

It's actually kind of depressing.

There are way too many stories that I've seen in the recent years about harassment on the internet, which equally depresses and disgusts me, and what's worse is that anything helping with those issues are slow to take effect or non-existent. 

I do ignore them, actually. I just can't stand and hate the fact that they do that every time I go past them.

In the past, I tried a lot of tactics when it came to bullies, from ignoring to retaliating against them (the latter tends to backfire horribly, not so much because of what they do, but in most cases, you come off looking as the one in the wrong, either for being the bully all along or for 'white knighting'), and it's, in all honesty, a frustrating situation all around.  The best nugget of wisdom I can give is that people do mature (or if you want to be cynical about it, lose interest).

As I mentioned before, bullying does stem from chain reactions, and it is sadly a facet of human behavior.  If one person is picked on, they can (but this doesn't necessarily mean everyone will) go on do the same to people that they deem as 'weaker'.  But in my opinion, liking My Little Pony is far from weak, in fact, being open about it as a teenager/young adult male takes a lot of the qualities the show does promote (the courage to be yourself, regardless of what others will think, as an example), it would just be nice if they could take in some of those lessons as well, like acceptance and tolerance.  

I also think some of the MLP-related bullying does stem from some of the negative connotations with brony culture, which is horrible, because "bronies" have probably been some of the nicest people I've come across, especially compared a few of the other fandoms I'm into, or were into at a point.  I just wish more people would take the time to talk to people and see that.

After all this rambling, I don't feel like I was much help, though.   :blush:

@@FoqueMe

Don't be so hard on yourself, Foque, rambling is always the key to attaining a better understanding of how to talk about an issue, plus it can lead to you thinking up new ideas involving that issue.

Also... I love your name.

*Ahem*

As for my thoughts, I was never bullied before, but I have dealt with adverse people throughout my life. I guess you could say bullied, but to me, bullied means constant aggression from the same people, I just bumped into people who thought they were better than others a lot. Nothing targeted.

Either way, I just dealt with them by being harsh right back and hitting them where it hurts. Was that the right way? I don't know. But it's how I handled it.

There are way too many stories that I've seen in the recent years about harassment on the internet, which equally depresses and disgusts me, and what's worse is that anything helping with those issues are slow to take effect or non-existent. 

In the past, I tried a lot of tactics when it came to bullies, from ignoring to retaliating against them (the latter tends to backfire horribly, not so much because of what they do, but in most cases, you come off looking as the one in the wrong, either for being the bully all along or for 'white knighting'), and it's, in all honesty, a frustrating situation all around.  The best nugget of wisdom I can give is that people do mature (or if you want to be cynical about it, lose interest).

As I mentioned before, bullying does stem from chain reactions, and it is sadly a facet of human behavior.  If one person is picked on, they can (but this doesn't necessarily mean everyone will) go on do the same to people that they deem as 'weaker'.  But in my opinion, liking My Little Pony is far from weak, in fact, being open about it as a teenager/young adult male takes a lot of the qualities the show does promote (the courage to be yourself, regardless of what others will think, as an example), it would just be nice if they could take in some of those lessons as well, like acceptance and tolerance.  

I also think some of the MLP-related bullying does stem from some of the negative connotations with brony culture, which is horrible, because "bronies" have probably been some of the nicest people I've come across, especially compared a few of the other fandoms I'm into, or were into at a point.  I just wish more people would take the time to talk to people and see that.

After all this rambling, I don't feel like I was much help, though.   :blush:

Lol, you WAS a big help. Thank you very much. :)

In my opinion, the best tactic against bullying: Get some perspective.

The best bullies are the ones who can make you actually care what they think about you. When you're still in grade school and high school, this is way easier and more effective because school makes your whole life into a little bubble society where you see the same people everyday for years, and it seems like this is the entire universe for you. If someone manages to embarrass you or hurt your feelings inside the bubble, it pretty much feels like your whole life is ruined, because to you this is your whole life.

But if you can recognize the bubble for what it is, and realize there is a whole world out there, and that what goes on in the bubble is going to be inconsequential in a few years, it's way harder to get you down.

Dismissing this bubble is easier said than done. But look at adults. Bullying is nowhere as near of a problem for adults. Why? They've escaped the bubble.

It was amazing to me how after graduating high school, how if one of my former classmates put me down, it was pretty much impossible to care. A few years before they could have ripped my self esteem to shreds, but now they just really didn't matter.

One of the most satisfying and justified things I like to do is bully the bullies. Seriously, half the time they don't know how to deal with it when it's directed at them instead.

• Brohoof 1

One of the most satisfying and justified things I like to do is bully the bullies. Seriously, half the time they don't know how to deal with it when it's directed at them instead.

Naysayer: But then you're no better than they are!

Me:

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

Ironically, I did that sometimes in high school.

I never got picked on, but my friends were at the time, and thankfully, the bullies were always too stupid to realized when I insulted them for picking on my innocent friends.

I don't do that quite often, but bullies are usually just time wasters who seek to disrupt the patience and normality to those who think they're better than them.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, that's the worst thing you can do. You're perpetuating the cycle of people being jerks and you're just making yourself a worse person who takes delight in the suffering of others, so ultimately a bully.

The most effective thing you can do to a bully is just not care about them. That's what bullying is ultimately about, is making people care that you have a negative opinion of them. You take that away from the bully, and it's totally pointless.

The most effective thing you can do to a bully is just not care about them.

I did in three years, no change. They just got to me with more violent means.

That depends a lot on the people and how far they will go.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

Nah, that's the worst thing you can do. You're perpetuating the cycle of people being jerks and you're just making yourself a worse person who takes delight in the suffering of others, so ultimately a bully.

The most effective thing you can do to a bully is just not care about them. That's what bullying is ultimately about, is making people care that you have a negative opinion of them. You take that away from the bully, and it's totally pointless.

Alternately, you could ignore them and just be an easier target, or you could just kneecap them and get them to stop for sure.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

If someone feels like they have nothing better to do than to pick on someone who isn't harming them just because of their interests, then they must have one sad life to get back to when they're done.

Always remember this when someone bullies you.

post-25311-0-67546100-1394925010.jpg

The difference here is that one party is innocent and the other is guilty. Besides, it's been proven time and time again that ignoring them doesn't solve bullying. If anything, it gives them the impression that they can just keep doing it with absolutely no consequence whatsoever.

Is my method good or bad? Who knows. It's just what I do.

I did in three years, no change. They just got to me with more violent means.

That depends a lot on the people and how far they will go.

Yeah, I'm talking about continuous psychological abuse type bullying.

If they're getting physical learn self defense or call the cops or something.

The difference here is that one party is innocent and the other is guilty. Besides, it's been proven time and time again that ignoring them doesn't solve bullying. If anything, it gives them the impression that they can just keep doing it with absolutely no consequence whatsoever.

Is my method good or bad? Who knows. It's just what I do.

After awhile guilt or innocence stops really mattering and you just have people being jerks.

See, I'd say there is a difference between ignoring them, and not caring about them.

The latter is what I'm talking about and is something harder to develop, and is ultimately about maturity.

If you just ignore them, but they see they're getting to you, then they're winning. The trick is to not let them in your head.