Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Self Harming...

Commander Bubbles

Has anyone self harmed here before? I've been doing it a lot in addition to a bit of drinking with my recent situations...

Is this really the sort of thing that should be talked about on MLP forums? ...  Why would you even want to tell people you self harm unless you wanted attention. 

If you actually are self harming then get help instead of posting it on a forums would be a good start 

I have never even thought of cutting myself.

...However, I can say I have harmed myself in a much more severe way by not taking care of anything about myself.. That may not sound like much, but it is, because there are things I should have taken care of.

There's a multitude of reasons behind it (some no longer applicable), but one of the reasons is the same reason behind normal self-harming, so that's why I believe it applies to the topic.

Edited by Envy

When I was in elementary school, I injured myself on purpose just for the laughs.

Now, out of depression? Nah. I may be severely unhappy and bored out of my mind, but I wouldn't do that to myself. I could understand why someone would, though.

You, write, okay? DONT. HARM. YOU. FREAKING. SELF. I've thought about it long time ago and I scratched myself once, but today I just can't think of self harm, because I'm too happy/thankful for my family, friends and life.

Never understood the point, I have enough scars I have gotten elsewhere.

There is a loooooot better ways to get rid of stess and bad feelings.

I used to self harm, due to depression (yes, the real clinical kind) and self hatred. I cut myself on my arms and ankles and pulled out my hair. I did it to punish myself, and also to remind myself that I was alive, cuz I'd sometimes wonder if I'd died and was a ghost. I hate people who think it's done for attention; if that's the case, then why did I cover up with long sleeves and tights? I even made excuses if anyone saw the cuts.

• Brohoof 1

No, I haven't engaged in any self harm but have engaged in a few other self destructive habits in the past that while they aren't what most people consider when they think about "self harm" still cause harm to the individual engaging them and others. I used to lash out at other people verbally and in some cases even physically I would and sometimes still use food as a coping mechanism but have gotten a lot better at that.

Nope. The thought of doing so has very rarely ever crossed my mind before. 

I've never actually done it though. I tried once, but I didn't go through with it. I thought to myself "This is stupid. Why make myself feel worse?"

Edited by Mikami

I have NEVER purposely injured myself, but dude, I am NOT joking, talk to someone about it, talk to someone who is really close to you and that you trust, harming yourself is NEVER the way to go, and just adds onto the problems you already have!

I tried to commit suicide again today. The are where the noose was still kinda feels sore, and I'm still a bit short on breath.

D: *hugs

So glad you didn't though! 

For myself, I never have tried or wanted to or thought about it before. If I accidentally get a small cut and bleed a lot, I pale and have to lay down so I don't pass out. I couldn't do something like cut. I have a knife in my room that my parents gave me, so I guess they also trust I won't ever have any desire to do something like that. 

D: *hugs

So glad you didn't though! 

For myself, I never have tried or wanted to or thought about it before. If I accidentally get a small cut and bleed a lot, I pale and have to lay down so I don't pass out. I couldn't do something like cut. I have a knife in my room that my parents gave me, so I guess they also trust I won't ever have any desire to do something like that. 

hahahhahahahahahahah! my parents would NEVER trust me with a knife in my room! I wish they would though... :(

Yep. Still get awfully tempted to sometimes.

"Accidentally" hurt myself on glass a couple weeks ago.

I have a tattoo on my wrist now though, it's my own way of saying "don't do that shit. you're over it, you can be strong."

Paint the man, cut the lines..

If you're depressed, go outside and walk, jog, do some activity. Don't mutilate your body because of what's happening. 'Walk it off' as some people would say.

Plus, if life knocks you down, don't get up and keep running. You push back harder.

You can't "walk off" mental illness.

Sure, it helps, but you can't just "walk it off".

It's not as easy as "oh just go for a walk, that'll make you feel better".

I'm depressed. I hate getting out of my bed. I'm on spring break right now, I haven't eaten that much because I can't motivate myself out of bed.

Pushing back harder seems way too much of a hassle anyway.

• Brohoof 2

You can't "walk off" mental illness.

Sure, it helps, but you can't just "walk it off".

It's not as easy as "oh just go for a walk, that'll make you feel better".

I'm depressed. I hate getting out of my bed. I'm on spring break right now, I haven't eaten that much because I can't motivate myself out of bed.

Pushing back harder seems way too much of a hassle anyway.

Auditory processing problem here.

I thought this was self harming. Not metal illness.

With all due respect, I was talking more about walking instead of harming.

If you have mental illness, experiment. Try things that can help you out.

Edited by Wolframite

Auditory processing problem here. I thought this was self harming. Not metal illness. With all due respect, I was talking more about walking instead of harming.

No respect lost, my friend.

It took me a while to get rid of the denial that self-harm is a sign of mental illness.

As someone bluntly put it to me once; "No normal human being would purposely bring harm to themselves."

If someone self-harms, there's something not right in the brain.

Also with all due respect.

No respect lost, my friend.

It took me a while to get rid of the denial that self-harm is a sign of mental illness.

As someone bluntly put it to me once; "No normal human being would purposely bring harm to themselves."

If someone self-harms, there's something not right in the brain.

Also with all due respect.

No lose of respect either.

Most people see self mutilation or cutting as a way of relieving stress, depression, etc.

I just see it as another addiction to relieve the stress, depression and what not.

We all have ups and downs. It depends on how strong we are that face the downs on life. Because life will chew you from the inside and try to break you down, it will only do that, if you allow it.

I've read a lot of these so called means of helping stopping self harming, and I laugh. One of the most stupid ones was "hold an ice cube". It doesn't work. I needed to see the blood, cuz then I'd know I was alive, cuz only living things bleed. I also went thru a stage of drinking my own blood cuz I was in a bad place and thought I needed the blood to stay alive. How the buck does holding an ice cube help with that?

I even ended up in Casualty twice thru self harm. Once cuz I cut my right arm vertically from the wrist to the elbow, the other time cuz I took an overdose of painkillers. Both times I bluffed myself out of trouble. I claimed the cut was an accident, cuz I was unstacking the dishwasher and there was a knife pointing upwards, and that the overdose was accidental cuz I had a headache and took too many pills. By the way, the pill taking was nothing about suicide. I wasn't trying to kill myself, just to damage my body from the inside.

I only recently managed to stop pulling my hair out; even now, I still get the urge to do it if I'm stressed. Only a few hairs, so no-one ever noticed, but it wasn't a good thing to do. I don't hide my scars now, cuz I really don't care if anyone sees them. If they judge me over it, then that's their problem, not mine.

Yeah... Though not by cutting myself but I remember punching walls. I think the knuckles of my middle fingers have a story to tell. Another way I used to self-harm was to intentionally do dangerous things and get myself hurt doing something. Sometimes it would be a bit of a show, kinda like those performers you see do painful things as part of their act. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to commit suicide over a dozen times. Growing up was hard on me the physical and the mental abuse I went through was unbearable but somehow I survived. I was bullied for 9 years growing up. That is well over half my life at the time.

I got scared then I became sad and then hated myself for trying to commit suicide.

You need to think of those whom you are close to. Family, friends, and others. The pain you inflict on yourself is doubled on those who you are close to. Why??? Because they see your pain and empathize and also feel the pain because there is nothing that they can do to help you.

I stopped trying to commit suicide after an errant thought flew through my mind.

What if there is another kid out there like me who needs someone to help them and be their friend and I take away a person who may be able to help them and maybe save their life.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Harming yourself doesn't benefit you in anyway shape or form. Within your mind, you may think it feels good to hurt yourself, to relieve the despair trapped inside but all it does is provide a short-term fix with long-term consequences.

It is never a good thing to harm our bodies, and once you trick your mind into thinking it's okay to hurt your body, you've already set yourself down a dark road. You can always turn back, you just have to have the will power.

Cutting your skin can lead to infections and with constant exposure leads to blood poisoning if it's to a critical point.

There is nothing rewarding about self-mutilation, only punishment.

Edited by Celestial Wish