Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E19 For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

Doctor XFizzle

53 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• CMC/Sweetie Belle focus
    • Rarity secondary focus
    • Lack of other Mane 6
    • Sweetie Belle's behavior
    • Nightmare realm
    • Lack of journal entry/moral kinda
    • Episode pace/boring
    • Other (explain)

S4E13 - Simple Ways: Trenderhoof (18 votes)

S4E14 - Filli Vanilli: Pinkie Pie's Behavior (54 votes)

S4E15 - Twilight Time: Other (13 votes)

S4E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: Mane Six breezification (26 votes)

S4E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me: Applejack's overprotection (16 votes)

S4E18 - Maud Pie: Other (21 votes)

If you had just ONE top reason as to why you disliked the episode or thought was a flaw of the episode, which was it?

NOTE: This topic doesn't mean we hate the episode or the show, it's merely a point of discussion to talk about the episode in a different way. 

Oh dear god, there weren't any!!!!! :D :D :wub:

I'll pick "other."

The flaw was that Rarity is TOO AMAZING!!!!! :wub: :wub:

I love her so, so much, and this episode is truly a testament as to why :wub:

(No flaws, bud; truly a flawless episode :D )

wallpaper____rarity_by_cptofthefriendshi

• Brohoof 3

Hmmm...I thought the mean-spirited start was going to lead to some problems down the line, but they brought it around. Sweetie Belle developed significantly in this episode and yea she was hard to sympathize with, but that was intentional. You weren't supposed to sympathize with her until after she realized her mistake. 

All-in-all another great episode and I loved it. I do have a minor gripe though. The townspeople came across as kinda mean and/or stupid, but it definitely was at an understandable level imo. *cough* Putting Your Hoof Down *cough*

• Brohoof 1

Yeah...I'm kinda drawing a blank on this one. Anything I can think of are either negligibly minuscule, or just me over-thinking a children's cartoon rather than actual problems.  In the case of the latter, the only "problem" would be Luna's ability to view memories from different viewpoints that said individual never personally experienced. Sweetie Belle should have no idea that the other colts and fillies (who were real jerks by the way...does that count as a problem?) were planning to leave until Rarity stepped in because she wasn't there to see it and it kinda comes off as plot convenience. Last I checked Luna was a Dreamwarden, not the ghosts of Hearth's Warming past, present and future. .  

Hmmm...I thought the mean-spirited start was going to lead to some problems down the line, but they brought it around. Sweetie Belle developed significantly in this episode and yea she was hard to sympathize with, but that was intentional. You weren't supposed to sympathize with her until after she realized her mistake.

Thanks, this is pretty much what I came here to say. Going so far to ruin Rarity's headdress seemed out of character and inconsistent with her past behavior, especially given that Rarity hadn't really done anything wrong, but it was sort of necessary for the plot. As a huge Sweetie Belle fan that really bothered me, but she definitely redeemed herself in the end and it was a great episode overall. :D

Oh yeah, and Luna once again proved why she is best princess. :comeatus:

Edited by Frostgage

Thanks, this is pretty much what I came here to say. Going so far to ruin Rarity's headdress seemed out of character and inconsistent with her past behavior, especially given that Rarity hadn't really done anything wrong, but it was sort of necessary for the plot. As a huge Sweetie Belle fan that really bothered me, but she definitely redeemed herself in the end and it was a great episode overall. :D

Oh yeah, and Luna once again proved why she is best princess. :comeatus:

I don't think it really was OoC, because she acted similarly in Sisterhooves Social. In fact this episode to me proved that the show can show a character at their worst, most mean-spirited moments AND make it work. Many past episodes (but not all) have failed in this regard. 

On a side note have you noticed that Dave Polsky wrote for two episodes in a row that were Sweetie Belle-cetric? I think she needed a bit more development past the spacey, nice girl, so kudos to that. As of this episode Sweetie has tied with Scoots as my favorite CMC.

Edited by DryColt84

This episode comes off as something that requires viewers to wade through previous episodes in order to get the full experience. Sweetie Belle does come off as an ungrateful brat for the first act and some of the second act, but it wouldn't matter so much if her actions didn't come off as so unwarranted.

We already know that Rarity can have tendencies to steal the spotlight and neglect her sister, but when you look at this episode by itself, you have little to no hints that make these traits clear to the audience. The episode makes Rarity come off as a tad too perfect, so it becomes hard to justify Sweetie Belle's actions or sympathize with her. Admittedly, before this episode aired, I was dreading the idea that Sweetie Belle's actions would come off as more spiteful than reactive. Unless you saw episodes like "Sisterhooves Social" or that one bit in "Twilight Time" (another Dave Polsky episode), you would think that Sweetie Belle was being OoC by being bratty like Diamond Tiara.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this episode as a good starting point, but if you've seen previous episodes that explored the sisters' dynamic, it'll be a good watch.

I picked "Lack of Mane 6", just because I haven't really seen anything from Twilight Sparkle in a little while. ^^"

But I think Sweetie's behavior was a little much as well.

I can understand though, she's still young, we all know how kids are. ^^"

Luna took care of it, you go Moon-Butt. ^^

I can't find a flaw in this episode.

Rarity and Sweetie Belle were great. The CMC didn't get in the way, much on the contrary. Sweetie Belle's behavior was understandable for a child.

The Nightmare Realm? What? Those great scenes?  :P

The lack of a journal entry didn't bother me. The moral was very well lined out in the best "show, don't tell" way. It would have been unnecessary. And I had no problem with the pacing.

Luna was great, keeping true to her duty being the good version of the NSA and even helping Sweetie Belle with the headdress. And Sapphire Shores likes dolphins.

Other: I dunno how the heck Sweetie Belle knew about Rarity's secret stich in the headdress- she wasn't there yet when she was explaining it to the rest if the Mane 6, yet Sweetie just goes in Rarity's room and pulls it right out like she knew about it all along. Kind of a plot hole if you ask me. :huh:

That's really a minor nitpick really though, because the episode as a whole is just fabulous. :D

Edited by Radiance64

Other: I dunno how the heck Sweetie Belle knew about Rarity's secret stich in the headdress- she wasn't there yet when she was explaining it to the rest if the Mane 6, yet Sweetie just goes in Rarity's room and pulls it right out like she knew about it all along. Kind of a plot hole if you ask me. :huh:

That's really a minor nitpick really though, because the episode as a whole is just fabulous. :D

Luna is Equestria's NSA. She knows all of the ponies' secrets.

The only tiny super nit-picky thing I can think of isn't even worth complaining aboot.... The title references a famous song... And the episode contained no song XD

The pacing was near perfect, the animations were immaculate, no OOC, LUNA, Shores makes an appearance, clever title, ..... Dear god this is my new favorite episode.... Never thought Dragonshy could be beat......

Probably Sweetie Belle's behaviour. Sabotaging Rarity's designs, given that she knows how hard her sister has been working? Not something I would have expected from the more sensitive CMC.