Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy's Lines

Bird Mom

We all know of that famous line "I just don't know what went wrong", or even "Muuufffiinnnss" instead of cheering. I think that the fandom loved seeing one of the most famous background ponies have a few lines. I think she should have more. Don't you? Unless............the writers didn't like her few lines. So, do you think that one of the most loved background ponies should have more lines?

• Brohoof 4

Absolutely! I would love to have an entire episode focused just on the background ponies! That would be epic! I've been thinking that in this show, only side characters can be 'an item' (Ex. Candace and Shining Armor) Further, MLP seems to be one of those shows that takes risks, I'm hoping for some Lyra/Bonbon shipping to be honest. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure they're going to give her at least a few more lines. She's too popular for them to not. Wait for the next Rainbow Dash-based episode, and she'll probably make an appearance. As for the shipping... You're pushing your luck there... But it's a possibility...

I guess giving her more lines couldn't hurt, you never know maybe she will appear once again to say some lines or be in the background for us to spot her. It is a possibility.

Well the one time they gave her big lines, she got complaints, and they had to go thru all the hastle of fixing her. Ugg. Ideots complainging about derpy. Anyways, that might be reason for Hasbro to keep her quite. I hope that one day though, she does actually talk again, cuz it would be awesome.

Yes, Derpy has a great deal of potential to reinforce the lesson from Bridle Gossip about about accepting others for who they are and not judging a book by its cover. Derpy was never confirmed to be disabled in any way yet people assumed she was an attack on the mentally challenged because of a few lines, her clumsy nature and derped eyes. A lot of disabled people or even people that are viewed as different for others reason identify with Derpy because she is seen as different. Derpy could easily have nothing else "wrong" with her other than her derped eyes and clumsy child like nature but perhaps other ponies perceive as being mentally challenged. As someone who grew up with Autism a lot of people have made baseless assumptions about me because I was different and a lot of people misunderstood me.

I didn't have any problems with Derpy's lines in "The Last Roundup".

I know some parents said that scene exploited disabled individuals.

But if you ask me, showing Derpy being able to assist RainbowDash and being a functioning member of society shows the complete opposite.

She was being treated equally.

Yes, she broke some stuff and was clumsy, but that is just her personality. NOT because she is mentally retarded.

• Brohoof 4

@,

What about the line, "Anything I can do to help," thats one of derpy's lines. 

It's not really one of the most known of Derpy's lines. But yes, it is one of her lines.

Oh Derpy, why do they shuit you so? :'(

I would love some more Derpy lines, especially if it's her original voice.

I would love to hear her original voice also! :)

@, Hi there! Just letting you know that I moved this thread to the Show Discussion subforum since this topic pertains to whether or not Derpy Hooves should have more lines in the shows. Thanks! :)

I wouldn't mind hearing Derpy speak again, but given the controversy surrounding her voice in The Last Roundup, combined with the fact that she spoke no lines in Rainbow Falls makes me think that it isn't going to happen.

But if you ask me, showing Derpy being able to assist RainbowDash and being a functioning member of society shows the complete opposite.

Yes, she broke some stuff and was clumsy, but that is just her personality. NOT because she is mentally retarded.

Did you happen to see that scene with Derpy's original voice?  (If you've only ever seen it on DVD or Netflix, you've only seen the edited version.)  Her voice was noticeably "derpier" at that point, and the parents who complained about it thought she was portrayed very specifically as slow and mentally retarded, and further that the name "Derpy" was an insult to people who suffer from mental handicaps.  (Of all that, I think only the name "Derpy" has any ground to stand on - so what if she's retarded?  Mentally handicapped people DO exist in society, and kids need to learn that they're still people.  And calling someone "derpy" is far less offensive than, say, "ditzy", "stupid" or "retarded".)

Unfortunately, when attempting to appease those parents, Hasbro pissed off a LOT of fans.  So they got twice burned by that, and they've been really reluctant to bring Derpy back in any form.  Apparently someone at Hasbro finally relented, thus Derpy's dramatic return in Rainbow Falls, but I think they're even more reluctant to make her speak again for fear of further pissing off the community, let alone the parents of their target audience.

• Brohoof 1

Did you happen to see that scene with Derpy's original voice?  (If you've only ever seen it on DVD or Netflix, you've only seen the edited version.)  Her voice was noticeably "derpier" at that point, and the parents who complained about it thought she was portrayed very specifically as slow and mentally retarded, and further that the name "Derpy" was an insult to people who suffer from mental handicaps.  (Of all that, I think only the name "Derpy" has any ground to stand on - so what if she's retarded?  Mentally handicapped people DO exist in society, and kids need to learn that they're still people.  And calling someone "derpy" is far less offensive than, say, "ditzy", "stupid" or "retarded".)

Unfortunately, when attempting to appease those parents, Hasbro pissed off a LOT of fans.  So they got twice burned by that, and they've been really reluctant to bring Derpy back in any form.  Apparently someone at Hasbro finally relented, thus Derpy's dramatic return in Rainbow Falls, but I think they're even more reluctant to make her speak again for fear of further pissing off the community, let alone the parents of their target audience.

I've seen the edited and original version.

Aha I know all about the parents getting pissed about it; so many fans were mad.

But she wasn't just clumsy. She was completely incompetent and Rainbow Dash had to finally tell her to stop helping altogether. She wasn't a functioning member of society at all.

I know this is not a super-popular opinion around these parts, but I think Derpy's first speaking role was a bit over the top.

Individually the things like the name, the clumsiness, the crossed eyes would probably have been okay, but they were all combined together in that scene in what I think of as a perfect storm of bad ideas.

I personally wasn't super offended, but I can at least understand why people found her offensive, and that makes her totally inappropriate for the tone of the show.

I  think the edited version of her was a great improvement, and I wouldn't mind seeing her speak with that voice again.

Thing is, if they have her use the new voice in the future, then the Bronies are going to flip their shit, because they're Bronies, which will make such a shout out ultimately pointless. So it would be a no win situation.

I actually went and looked it up:

I don't get why they changed derpy's voice and yet let Twist continue on with her lisp XD

(I wonder where that traitorous freak pony disappeared to anyway?)  

Well the one time they gave her big lines, she got complaints, and they had to go thru all the hastle of fixing her. Ugg. Ideots complainging about derpy. Anyways, that might be reason for Hasbro to keep her quite. I hope that one day though, she does actually talk again, cuz it would be awesome.

Well to be fair it wasn't just over sensitive people that made the change. The main director/writer or someone at the time of that episode has a special needs child and so was very sensitive to the complaints people were having for the incident. Since she knew what it was like to be the parent of a kid who is probably bullied for who he is and possibly called retard/stupid/derpy she decided that it was for the best. I understand where she is coming from and can sympathize with her, but I personally would not have changed it.

Well to be fair it wasn't just over sensitive people that made the change. The main director/writer or someone at the time of that episode has a special needs child and so was very sensitive to the complaints people were having for the incident. Since she knew what it was like to be the parent of a kid who is probably bullied for who he is and possibly called retard/stupid/derpy she decided that it was for the best. I understand where she is coming from and can sympathize with her, but I personally would not have changed it.

I didn't actually know that. That definately seems understandable though. But was that Amy Keating Rogers? Wondering, cuz doesn't she have a disabled child?

I really hope she'll talk again, she has an unique voice. The new one is so awful.

And I didn't find she had a stupid voice, I don't really understand the complaints. :okiedokielokie:

Edited by BlobuIle

Derpy's first appearance probably wouldn't have gone so badly, voice, name and all, had they not had her at the receiving end of Rainbow Dash's anger. If she had actually been accepted, instead of told to sit down and stay out of harm's way, the scene might have been better received.

That said, I'm probably in the minority here in saying that I prefer the second version of her voice.

• Brohoof 1

I think you're thinking of Amy Keating Rogers. She wrote a response to the whole Derpy thing

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.html

but she wasn't actually the one to make the decision.

I think you're thinking of Amy Keating Rogers. She wrote a response to the whole Derpy thing

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.html

but she wasn't actually the one to make the decision.

So, yeah, if she ever has a speaking role again, (and that looks like a big if) expect her name to go back to Ditzy Doo as well.